LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by jfrumkin »

schoe wrote:I put down "Dundee" by itself as a legit guess - I didn't think it was Crocodile, of course, but I thought it could be someone legit named Dundee (maybe Crocodile was named after him?). I wonder if that counted in the MCWA, and if so I wonder how many others in the MCWA count put just Dundee as legit guesses and not Crocodile Dundee.
Count me in that one.

Knowing next to nothing about opera, the inkling popping in my head that Rossini wrote the William Tell Overture and then finding out I was actually right was very surprising.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

dnbguy wrote:LinearGnome and I started out with a 6(5)-6(5) tie, both missing Ned Kelly. My strategy of "pick an Irish sounding last name" was wise, my specific choice of "O'Leary" was not.
I went with Adelaide even though I knew it was a bit of a stretch that a state capital would be named after an outlaw. Ultimately I decided to roll that pair of dice instead of picking an Irish last name.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jjwaymee wrote:
dnbguy wrote:LinearGnome and I started out with a 6(5)-6(5) tie, both missing Ned Kelly. My strategy of "pick an Irish sounding last name" was wise, my specific choice of "O'Leary" was not.
I went with Adelaide even though I knew it was a bit of a stretch that a state capital would be named after an outlaw.
This *is* Australia we're talking about.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MD2 resulted in a 7(5) - 7(5) tie, a definite improvement over MD1 (mainly because I didn't have to face Lampy :mrgreen: ). Q3 was a major boo-boo on my part. Saw Ram Das and said "Aha! It's Baba Ram Das" ergo Baba must be the honorific sought for, right? Bah! Knowing of Meher Baba and of course "Baba O'Riley" just added fuel to my misguided fire. :oops:
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Woof wrote:Q3 was a major boo-boo on my part. Saw Ram Das and said "Aha! It's Baba Ram Das" ergo Baba must be the honorific sought for, right? Bah! Knowing of Meher Baba and of course "Baba O'Riley" just added fuel to my misguided fire. :oops:
I made exactly the same mistake. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Embarrassingly, I considered Guru, and waffled back and forth (and in the end, I somehow decided that "Guru" was more likely to mean something like "wise" than something like "weighty").
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Don't let it be forgot that I once held that spot

Post by Rex Kramer »

I scored two 9(6)s in a row in the first two match days, leaving me in the #1 spot in A Highland. I believe next comes a great earthquake, and the sun will become as black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon will become as blood.

Early success is quite ominous; a quirk of question distribution, meaning that it won't be long before I score a 0(0) on a slate of sports, sculpture, and pop-culture-of-the-'90s questions.

Rex
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote:MD2 resulted in a 7(5) - 7(5) tie, a definite improvement over MD1 (mainly because I didn't have to face Lampy :mrgreen: ). Q3 was a major boo-boo on my part. Saw Ram Das and said "Aha! It's Baba Ram Das" ergo Baba must be the honorific sought for, right? Bah! Knowing of Meher Baba and of course "Baba O'Riley" just added fuel to my misguided fire. :oops:
Exactly the same for me: oh, Ram Das, must be Baba and just haven't seen the rest of those Babas before. I thought long and hard to come up with both puppymonkeybaby, which I had seen fleetingly while not really watching the super bowl, and vitamin, where I switched from an unsatisfying amino acid after several hours of consideration. Only to miss a question I had given no more than five seconds of thought. Oh, hell, of course. Doh.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, I finally had to watch that commercial. That's just too bizarre for words. I can't say it makes me want to go out and buy that stuff.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote:OK, I finally had to watch that commercial. That's just too bizarre for words. I can't say it makes me want to go out and buy that stuff.
I just watched that commercial too. My response is, just because you have three awesome things, doesn't mean that combining them won't result result in something that's truly horrific. That commercial needs to be kickstopped.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

alietr wrote:OK, I finally had to watch that commercial.
Mission accomplished.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

MD2: won 7(5)-1(2).

I had the questions open in my kitchen, eating lunch. My roommate was making a sandwich. Something finally clicked and I shouted out, "TERRA COTTA!" He asked me what that was about, and I just said "trivia." I'm glad my outbursts can be understood.

My two friends and Wednesday night pub quiz hosts, one of whom invited me, tied. I'm mildly disappointed I won't see any razzing tonight.

I am sad that I still remember PuppyMonkeyBaby. I want to forget. I need to forget.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mpahu wrote: I had the questions open in my kitchen, eating lunch. My roommate was making a sandwich. Something finally clicked and I shouted out, "TERRA COTTA!" He asked me what that was about, and I just said "trivia."
My favorite was during one of my first seasons, there was a question about a song. I knew I knew it, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. So I left my responses open for the day to think about it. And think I did, but still couldn't come up with it. That evening, I was in the kitchen and randomly started singing a song to myself. Then I heard myself and realized it was the correct answer. I can't remember such a blatant example of my subconscious answering for me.

P.S. Rex, you suck.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

alietr wrote:P.S. Rex, you suck.
Mission #2 accomplished.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rex Kramer wrote:
alietr wrote:P.S. Rex, you suck.
Mission #2 accomplished.
You're having quite the productive day today, aren't you?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote:MD2 resulted in a 7(5) - 7(5) tie, a definite improvement over MD1 (mainly because I didn't have to face Lampy :mrgreen: ). Q3 was a major boo-boo on my part. Saw Ram Das and said "Aha! It's Baba Ram Das" ergo Baba must be the honorific sought for, right? Bah! Knowing of Meher Baba and of course "Baba O'Riley" just added fuel to my misguided fire. :oops:
Same for me; guru never even entered my mind.

A helpful hint for rookies: if you come up with an answer, even if it's a wild guess, go ahead and submit if you can't think of anything better. I thought of vitamin for question 6, but didn't think it was right, so I left the space blank.

I still would have lost, thanks to baba, but at least it would have been 7(5) instead of 6(4). :roll:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ElendilPickle wrote:A helpful hint for rookies: if you come up with an answer, even if it's a wild guess, go ahead and submit if you can't think of anything better. I thought of vitamin for question 6, but didn't think it was right, so I left the space blank.
I don't think I've ever left a question blank. If I have no idea at all, I will go for BWA, even though I have no chance since Thorsten hasn't the slightest sense of humor (in my opinion, of course).
BulgarianBeast
Valued Contributor

Post by BulgarianBeast »

alietr wrote:If I have no idea at all, I will go for BWA
This might be the LL noob in me talking, but where can you see the BWA?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BulgarianBeast wrote:
If you are looking at the match results, click on the Q# link. If there is one, it will be under the question, along with the MCWA.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

To those who mentioned the commercial and got me to watch it....I thought we were friends. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

My defense carried me yesterday to a 3(2)-1(2) victory. I got terra cotta and Katrina.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

BulgarianBeast wrote:
If you're on the individual question's page, you can find it. If you go to any match day page and click Q1, Q2, etc. you should find that it links to the individual question. There you'll see stats, MCW, and BWA.