LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by barandall800 »

Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap. I beat HaringerA. I'm almost positive it's THAT HaringerA...in which case, this is crazy. It's not often you can say you've won against a TOCer... :o

5(3)-3(3). I think my percentages helped me a lot yesterday. My sports percentage is low, my theater one high. I got the Djokovic question right without breaking a sweat. I got assigned 2 points for it. No idea on the theater question, for which Andrew assigned me a 0.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I didn't know judges took stage names. Learned Hand is the Iggy Pop of jurisprudence.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Gets in sports and lit (two of my worst categories) led me to a win yesterday, 5(3)-3(2). I answered Q6 the only way that should be acceptable, "exclamation points!" I was in a production of Hello, Dolly! a few years ago and, much like Jeopardy!, it bothered me to no end when people didn't add on the exclamation point.

I will say that this season is off to a much better start than last season, in which I started out with two 0(0)s in a row and then only got two right on a day rife with 9(6)s. Let's hope that, like last season, I find my groove as it goes on and start pulling out some more wins (and better defense).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dirkgonnadirk wrote:i know sports knowledge is generally poor amongst jeopardy questions, but i'm absolutely flabbergasted that only half of the players in LL know the answer to (essentially) 'who is the best tennis player in the world?'

I guess because tennis isn't as popular as other sports. I'm a sports fan, but don't follow sports as closely as I once did and don't pay attention to tennis at all. I was playing someone with a low get rate on sports, but was worried since sometimes people who aren't big sports fans sometimes are really into a sport like tennis that isn't super-mainstream. I took a chance and gave him three and it paid off as he missed it. My high percentage rate in sports also helped as he gave me zero on a question I had no chance on.

On the last one, I was torn between exclamation points and single word musicals. I almost said they had both qualities but went with just exclamation points.

Yesterday I learned of Learned Hand thanks to Learned League which he already had. I did know Gulliver for a 2(2)-1(1) victory to go 3-2 for the opening week.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dirkgonnadirk wrote:i know sports knowledge is generally poor amongst jeopardy questions, but i'm absolutely flabbergasted that only half of the players in LL know the answer to (essentially) 'who is the best tennis player in the world?'
But Serena Williams wasn't a realistic choice :p
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Missed my first C Rundle win by only having Gulliver instead of naming the book.

RTFQ got me here. I was so happy to know it off being given the first name, the meat of the question was lost on me.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

MD5: won 6(4)-0(F).

It's been a fun first week, but I've been craving empanadas since Monday. I have no idea where to get them around here. Thanks a lot, Thorsten.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Well, my question percentage so far is .667 and I'm 0-4-1 in C. It's rough when you're not only near your rundle's lead in CAA but your 20 correct answers have yielded only 21 match points (1 more than the minimum I could have earned). If my defense had been absolutely-magically-perfect, I could have a record of 1-1-3. My defense feels as if it's been soft/unlucky rather than abysmal, but maybe I'm just bad at it.

I'm already dead last in my rundle, and, once we get to the questions I don't know, I'm toast.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

My New York pride that I felt by getting the garbage collectors Thursday has been shot by forgetting Learned Hand. And it was a name I knew well, thanks in part to memories of this:
https://youtu.be/Ws6YuOkkitg?t=3m29s
(though I notice the Spanish captions translate it to "strong arm of the law")

At any rate, I've really enjoyed my first week, outside of that scary moment checking my email every morning to see the results. 4-1-0 so far and ranked #3. My goal to make C for the next season is within grasp!
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

The only answer I got wrong that I had a chance of getting was oboe, but I translated hautbois to high wood and figured I'd go with the highest woodwind, which i figured was a piccolo. Oh well.

My 50 - 50 on Federer v. Murray was actually a 0 - 0.

2-3-0 right now, and I feel like I'm headed for a D rundle.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

OUTRAGEOUS FRENCH ACCENT INCOMING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRF8J-Z_p0
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: They all had single-word titles too, and I thought Hair was correct.
My thinking was almost exactly the same as yours on this one, Stefan.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I also thought "Hair" was correct, but luckily for me, I also thought (correctly or incorrectly) that they all had exclamation marks including "Hair", and that stuck out to me as a more obvious distinction than the one-word titles.

I find that in Learned League, perhaps more than on Jeopardy!, it's very possible to happen upon the correct answer using slightly flawed reasoning (along the lines of: I definitely don't know every relevant detail here, but I can think of something that "feels" like a reasonable guess).
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

One week down and I'm already in the relegation zone. :roll:
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Does anyone know how Learned Hand pronounced his name? If it were my name, I'd definitely go with two syllables on Learn-ed.

I almost answered "one word titles with an exclamation point" before remembering it was Oh! Calcutta!. I totally forgot that Hello Dolly! had an exclamation point, but new the others, so changed it to the right answer.

Off to a good start, but even with stellar scores, defense prevents me from getting higher than 4th. A rundle is tough, folks. Tough.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My win streak proved to be short; off to a 1-4 start in Division R Pacific 1...but I lead the division in Defensive Efficiency with a 0.900. Lost yesterday's match 1(1)-4(4); the only one I got correct was Novak...but after I saw the answer for the lit question, it seemed so obvious.

Had never heard of Learned Hand (whose first name was really Billings) but after I saw the answer, I did some reading up on him. He had quite a career and was held in very high regard in the legal community.

BTW...we had 4 forfeits in our division yesterday. Is that how it goes? As the season winds down, will the forfeits be on the rise?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Dr. J wrote:Does anyone know how Learned Hand pronounced his name? If it were my name, I'd definitely go with two syllables on Learn-ed.

I almost answered "one word titles with an exclamation point" before remembering it was Oh! Calcutta!. I totally forgot that Hello Dolly! had an exclamation point, but new the others, so changed it to the right answer.

Off to a good start, but even with stellar scores, defense prevents me from getting higher than 4th. A rundle is tough, folks. Tough.
In law school all the professors pronounced his name "Learn-ed".
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Dr. J wrote:A rundle is tough, folks. Tough.
Tell me about it. I've had at least 4 correct every day this week, and I'm ranked 21st of 26 in my rundle with a 1-3-1 record.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Anybody else think of Jeff Spicoli on the Mr. Hand question?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody else think of Jeff Spicoli on the Mr. Hand question?
No, but I feel like Mr. Bill so far this season.