Tuesday, November 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Volante wrote:I think the $1000 had the situation reversed, where they may have wanted the profession (welder) but Kiran gave the activity (welding). I'd have to double check the wording though, which I don't have handy.
That's because it was a Tuesday weld.... :lol:
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Rex Kramer wrote:Joon probably knows better than I do, since I haven't been to the ACPT in 5 years, but I think the only J! contestant to have placed higher than Kiran in the ACPT is Ellen Ripstein -- Kiran came in 2nd in 2006 and has placed in the top 10 9 of the last 10 years.
i think you're right, although i don't have any way of knowing if some of the very early ACPT champs were on jeopardy in the '80s. wordplay spoiler:
Spoiler
al sanders has been on jeopardy, and he came heartbreakingly close to winning ACPT in 2005.
3-time winner trip payne would be excellent on the show, but i don't know if he's eligible because of some connections he has to the writers or the game show industry in general. i know dan feyer (2-time reigning ACPT champ) has tried out, and i'm pretty sure howard barkin (2nd place in 2010, 3rd in 2008, and the nicest guy in crosswords) is in the contestant pool right now.

incidentally, i'll second omg's endorsement of wordplay. not only is it a fine movie in its own right, but watching it a few years ago literally changed my life; i am quite sure i would not have taken up crossword solving or constructing, or gone on jeopardy, if not for that movie. plus, the main characters from the movie are all friends of mine now (well, not the indigo girls or jon stewart—i'm talking about the constructors, editors, and competitive solvers).
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
chuck5982 wrote:Science for $1600...............Seriously? That shouldn't even belong on Jeopardy!
I don't have perfect memory of the clues, so your comment means nothing to me (just letting you know in case you're looking for a response.)
Well, here it is: Slow-motion video shows this bug evading a swat in 250 milliseconds; for 240 of those, it's repositioning itself to jump.
Spoiler
What is a fly?
Thought that was common knowledge.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, "jump" had me thinking it was a flea.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:Well, "jump" had me thinking it was a flea.
Yup...but, as I realized after I changed my answer from fly to flea, you don't swat at fleas. Even when you DO swat at a flea, they don't care; they'll survive it. (You, however, may not, as the cat you just hit will turn around and shred your face :lol: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

On the other hand, as my biologist father would have most vigorously objected, a fly is NOT a bug. (Neither, for that matter, is a flea.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can someone explain to the board's most musically uninclined person what was meant by Wrecking Crew? I did pretty well in it, but am unfamiliar with the term.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Bamaman wrote:Can someone explain to the board's most musically uninclined person what was meant by Wrecking Crew? I did pretty well in it, but am unfamiliar with the term.
Not a general term, it's referring to a specific group of people: Wikipedia link
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

alietr wrote:For the record, I really like the Wrecking Crew category.
Me, too.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Volante wrote:I think the $1000 had the situation reversed, where they may have wanted the profession (welder) but Kiran gave the activity (welding). I'd have to double check the wording though, which I don't have handy.
That's because it was a Tuesday weld.... :lol:
That has got to be the worst joke I have ever heard, bar none.

And I can't thank you enough for it. :mrgreen:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I had a Facebook conversation with Carol Kaye today, telling her of her Jeopardy mention (for a living legend she's very friendly and accessible). She hates it when people use the "wrecking crew" name, she says that phrase was invented after the fact
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

While we're on the subject of Carol Kaye...here's a nice tribute to her. I had listened to it a few times before Tuesday (it's on my iPod), so I recognized her name when it came up. My favorite line in the song: "Not a household name, but she's been in your head all day."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRAkIaHfI7E

(Also, count me as another one who liked that category. I nearly ran it, in fact.)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I also remember something else about the "Bridge Over Troubled Water" drumbeat in the final verse, per Mr. Booth. Part of the effect wasn't just the use of the unusual way of striking the drum, but the reverb was accomplished by having the drum at the bottom of an empty elevator shaft, with the microphone at the top, five floors up.
That was "The Boxer", not "Bridge Over Troubled Water".
Am I the only one who heard "crashing sounds" and went straight to "The Boxer"? I had to listen to BOTW again just now to hear them, and they're there, toward the end, whereas Boxer is full of them. "Lie-la-lie [poom]!"

Mark Barrett, you weren't the only one with many misses. Mine included Jefferson for Madison, Three Rivers Stadium for Heinz Field, a dumb anatomical reversal with mouse heads over tails, mosquito for fly (all off "swat"), Scotland for Wales, and electrical outlet for plug.
In and out of the pool four times
ennie
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ennie »

legendneverdies wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Ithink the only J! contestant to have placed higher than Kiran in the ACPT is Ellen Ripstein
Ellen was a writer/researcher on Millionaire in the Regis/early Meredith years. Ellen's J! game is not in the Archive. According to qwizx.com/gameshows/atgswinners.html Ellen won merchandise worth $2225 on J!, which indicates she likely came in second in the Trebek era between 1984-1994. She posted on alt.tv.game-shows in early 1995, and said in a post there she lost the game via betting big on a DD and getting it wrong. She also won $1628 worth of prizes playing the 900 number game of Family Channel's Trivial Pursuit back in 1993-94.
Just seeing this and Joon's thread now, since I, uh, Googled myself. I was a researcher (mostly Senior Researcher, which meant I checked other people's research), not a writer, on WWTBAM from 1999-2004. This includes ancillary projects (website, CDs, phone game) as well as the regular and syndicated show (and Super-Millionaire). Also was in charge of research on GSN's "Grand Slam" in 2007 (see it on YouTube - great TV!).

I was on "Jeop!" just one day, September 27, 1991 (gulp, over 20 years ago now!). I should transcribe the tape, but that may never happen. Here's my write-up http://ennienyc.livejournal.com/5506.html.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

ennie wrote: Also was in charge of research on GSN's "Grand Slam" in 2007 (see it on YouTube - great TV!).
"Grand Slam" was awesome! Any chance of it ever returning?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ennie wrote:I was on "Jeop!" just one day, September 27, 1991 (gulp, over 20 years ago now!). I should transcribe the tape, but that may never happen. Here's my write-up http://ennienyc.livejournal.com/5506.html.
You could always make arrangements to send a copy of the tape to an Archivist and we can transcribe it into the Archive structure for you (this might work better, from our perspective anyways)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
ennie wrote:I was on "Jeop!" just one day, September 27, 1991 (gulp, over 20 years ago now!). I should transcribe the tape, but that may never happen. Here's my write-up http://ennienyc.livejournal.com/5506.html.
You could always make arrangements to send a copy of the tape to an Archivist and we can transcribe it into the Archive structure for you (this might work better, from our perspective anyways)
We also have a particular archivist who can take your VHS tape and give you a DVD for your trouble.

Thanks

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.