Friday, March 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by SBurrus »

J: "J" (3) Entrepenueurs (2) Tony Plays (2R 1W) 1880s names (5) Transport (3R 2W) Compound Words (5)

DJ: Caves (1W) Art (2) History (2) Libraries (3R 1W) Death (3) "Yes" "No" "Maybe" (1)

FJ was an Instaget. I also got the TS Tattoo, Submarine, Daredevil and Rosa Parks.

33R 5W.

Geez...I thought I got a lot more right in this game because I had a huge total (over $20,000) going into FJ...but then when I went back and actually marked correct and incorrect answers, it was disappointing to only have 33 correct. Still, above average showing by my standards.

I haven't read through the thread yet (I will after this posting) but did anyone notice some kind of commotion after Natasha said "Glow Worms"?

AT has never heard of "Back in Black"?
brick

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
brick wrote:I really thought she was Canadian. Huh.
I did, too, but I have no idea why.
Same here.
Anne Murray is the Canadian that y'all are thinking of, eh?
Righto!
brick

Post by brick »

brick wrote:Am I the only one who got the Sen. Marchi clue in transportation?
Actually, can that be a poll question?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

harrumph wrote:I had an aunt Florence who was born in 1891 so of course that was the only clue in that category that I missed.
My wife had a grandmother named Florence who was born in 1912. She died earlier this week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

SBurrus wrote: I haven't read through the thread yet (I will after this posting) but did anyone notice some kind of commotion after Natasha said "Glow Worms"?
I remember some huge noise in the background after one clue, no idea what it was about.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bamaman wrote:
SBurrus wrote: I haven't read through the thread yet (I will after this posting) but did anyone notice some kind of commotion after Natasha said "Glow Worms"?
I remember some huge noise in the background after one clue, no idea what it was about.
Maybe it was AC/DC.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

John Boy wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is a "Rift Outchange game?"
If you search for the terms "rift trend" and "outchange" in the search box you might see what I'm playing at. ;)

I also didn't know that Helen Reddy was Australian, but the TOM to me was the word "anthemic" -- I Am Woman fits that bill much more than anything else.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

Forgive my ignorance, but I've seen this TOM bandied about.

What does it mean?
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

The rift trend outchange thread, which I've just spent the last 20 minutes giggling at (like a little girl...): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1986&hilit=outchange

And TOM is tease-out metric - the hint in some clues that allows you to work your way to the answer.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

CailinGaoilge wrote:The rift trend outchange thread, which I've just spent the last 20 minutes giggling at (like a little girl...): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1986&hilit=outchange

And TOM is tease-out metric - the hint in some clues that allows you to work your way to the answer.
Gotcha. Thanks. I figured that was the spirit of it, but I couldn't tease out the acronym for the life of me.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Vermonter wrote:It seemed like Natasha and Rachel were actively avoiding the DDs toward the end there. And then Therese found the last one and made about as bad a wager as she could.
Thanks for explaining why that wager was bad in your video. I could tell she was (somewhat understandably) trying to bet small enough that it wouldn't be a runaway if she was wrong, but it was only after reading the comments here that I realized the problem was probably that it was still too much. I think Natasha could have still made it a runaway with the remaining clues (unless I'm misremembering the scores, which I may be), and I hadn't noticed that a smaller wager would have kept Therese within 2/3 of Natasha's score.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

floridagator wrote:^ That video you posted is delicious because it is a parody of the performance by HELEN REDDY in "Airport 1975," in which she sang her OTHER anthem, "Best Friend."
Lefty wrote:
Some years back, there was a clue, probably a DD (given Alex's subsequent explanation), about the group INXS. The contestant answered "Who are In ExCess?" and was (initially) ruled wrong because Alex wanted "who are the inks"? Having seen that, I would not particularly have expected Alex to know Back in Black.
I had a MUSIC PROFESSOR :o in college who made the same mistake. He assigned us to review pop albums from the 80s and 90s for class (OK, so this wasn't an especially difficult class) and gave us a list to choose from. "I'll do In Excess," one eager student said. The professor looked puzzled. "Are you trying to pronounce I.N.X.S.?"
When Kick, came out, my manager at the time wanted to ask for the cassette as her Secret Santa request, and kept telling people she wanted the new Inks album.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
SlickRick87 wrote: And TOM is tease-out metric - the hint in some clues that allows you to work your way to the answer.
Gotcha. Thanks. I figured that was the spirit of it, but I couldn't tease out the acronym for the life of me.
These and other fine terms can be found at the J-Archive glossary.

And yes, as an 80s metalhead, I'm both saddened and not surprised that Alex hasn't heard of Back in Black. (I was just listening to that earlier today!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:OMG, go see Zootopia if you haven't already.
Been thinking about it, all the Canadian media can focus on is how the revered Canadian newscaster Peter Mansbridge plays Peter Moosebridge, I swear, every single coverage for that movie that's all it's about.
Lefty wrote:
brick wrote:
MitchO wrote:ALEX ISN'T FAMILIAR WITH BACK IN BLACK?!?!?! :shock:
That was hard to take.
Some years back, there was a clue, probably a DD (given Alex's subsequent explanation), about the group INXS. The contestant answered "Who are In ExCess?" and was (initially) ruled wrong because Alex wanted "who are the inks"? Having seen that, I would not particularly have expected Alex to know Back in Black.
Can anyone corroborate this (or, if it was in the last ten years, find it in the Archive)? Somehow I doubt this happened, or at least made it to air.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
Can anyone corroborate this (or, if it was in the last ten years, find it in the Archive)? Somehow I doubt this happened, or at least made it to air.
ROCK GROUPS $500: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4418 Alex tattles on himself.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

SlickRick87 wrote:
This is probably my family's favorite movie. We usually all sit together and watch it every time I go back home to Oregon. Surely, one of the greatest comedies of all time.
It is one of the greatest comedies of all time. And don't call me Shirley.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

buckeyebrain wrote:
SlickRick87 wrote:
This is probably my family's favorite movie. We usually all sit together and watch it every time I go back home to Oregon. Surely, one of the greatest comedies of all time.
Lose the "one of" and you got yourself some grade A truth.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
buckeyebrain wrote:
SlickRick87 wrote:
Lose the "one of" and you got yourself some grade A truth.
It is the greatest comedies of all time?

I got FJ right from "anthemic," and maybe a little bit of 1972. I didn't know Helen Reddy was Australian (although I think georgespelvin's "Trivial Person of the Week" Facebook contest dealt with this fact fairly recently), but I was greatly aided by knowing that neither Olivia Newton-John nor the Bee Gees were born there.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

seaborgium wrote:It is the greatest comedies of all time?
Yes, "Airplane!" is so good that it counts as more than one movie.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Those gypsum things are really just called crystals? I thought a crystal was something else entirely.
They're gypsum crystals. Crystals can be made of other materials, but the ones in the clue are famous for being so damn large.

It's sorta sad, the only reason those crystals are even accessible is due to mining activity and when the mine shuts down those chambers are going to flood again (cause the pumps will be shut off).

http://www.stormchaser.ca/caves/naica/naica.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)