Monday, March 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7256, 2016-03-14

CONTESTANTS
Amanda Darby, a librarian from Frederick, Maryland
Philip Tiu, an educator from Atlanta, Georgia
Gordon Moffat, an e-discovery professional from Nashville, Tennessee (whose 1-day cash winnings total $24,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. Gordon felt really good on Friday when he won all that money. And as you can tell in his introduction, he's feeling really good again today. So, Philip and Amanda, welcome aboard. Delighted to have you with us, and good luck to all of you as we start you off now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT WAS 1916 (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEST DRAMA SERIES EMMY AWARDS (5/5)
WORLD OF RELIGION (5/5)
R-D-R HAR! (2/2) (Alex: Those three letters, R-D-R, will come up in each correct response in that order.)
DOVER EXPOSURE (5/5)
1,000 FOODS TO EAT BEFORE YOU DIE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gordon: 13 R, 2 W
Amaanda: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Philip: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Philip found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Gordon had no money, Philip had $200, and Amaanda had nothing in the bank. Philip wagered $1,000.

IT WAS 1916 $1000: In May U.S. Marines occupied this Caribbean nation following turmoil & popularized the game of baseball
(Philip: What is Cuba?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gordon: $3,400
Amaanda: $2,200
Philip: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Amanda Darby is a librarian from Maryland who has, I understand, her own cheering section here in the studio today.

Amanda: I do.

Alex: Are those the people in the blue T-shirts?

Amanda: That would be them.

Alex: All right, well, good for you. Now, last week on the program, standing exactly where you are, I believe, we had a contestant with a lovely tattoo on her arm. You have a tattoo, also. It's not shown, but it's something completely different, and, dare I say it, strange?

Amanda: I have a tattoo of a toaster on the inside of my left wrist.

Alex: A toaster?

Amanda: My--it's a tribute tattoo for my uncle Joe who passed away. He was a cartoonist and drew it when I was young.

Alex: That makes it all worthwhile.

Alex: Now, Philip Tiu is an educator from Atlanta, Georgia, who gave some thought to becoming a Catholic priest after seeing a particular motion picture. I'm curious as all get-out to know what the film was.

Philip: Yes. It was a picture from the mid-1980s with Jeremy Irons and Robert de Niro, The Mission.

Alex: Oh!

Philip: Yes.

Alex: But you didn't become a Catholic priest?

Philip: Well, my wife likes to say that the priesthood's loss is her gain.
Alex: Okay. Well, good for her.

[Laughter]

Alex: Gordon Moffat is our champion. Used to be a real working rock 'n' roll musician.

Gordon: Unfortunately true. I'm sure a lot of folks can say that, also, but during college, I actually made money, paid rent, paid bills doing stuff--touring, gigging, playing shows with my roommates and pals.

Alex: Hey, that's cool. All right.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Gordon: $6,800
Amaanda: $4,600
Philip: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOVIES ON SUBMARINES (5/5)
THANK YOU, MA'AM (4/4)
MUSICAL WORDS & PHRASES (1/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
1980s BOOKS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GONNA AKE YOU HIGHER (3/4)
"M" PLACEMENT (1/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gordon: 8 R, 0 W
Philip: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Amaanda: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amaanda snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Gordon had $6,800, Philip had $600, and Amaanda was at $5,400. Amaanda wagered $4,000.

MUSICAL WORDS & PHRASES $1200: We can't attest to the musical quality of this instrument, a synonym for the cornucopia

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Philip who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Gordon had $16,000, Philip had $6,600, and Amaanda was at $10,600. Philip wagered $4,000.

1980s BOOKS $800: He may not know who he is yet, but Jason Bourne begins his search for answers in this 1980
Robert Ludlum novel

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"M" PLACEMENT $1200: That's a traditional emblem called the Soyombo on the flag of this Asian country
(Philip: What is Thailand?)

"M" PLACEMENT $1600: This Oklahoma cty named for an Native American tribe was the agency headquarters for the Five Civilized Tribes

MUSICAL WORDS & PHRASES $1600: Meaning dull, this word is composed of a vocal intonation & musical instrument

MUSICAL WORDS & PHRASES $2000: The principal story of a large building or palace is called this instrument "nobile"

"M" PLACEMENT $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports.) This island of French Polynesia is a favorite of honeymooners for its stunning scenery & over-water bungalows
(Amanda: What is Micronesia?)

1980s BOOKS $1600: In a memoir this sportscaster told us, "I Never Played the Game"

GONNA AKE YOU HIGHER $2000: In a book title, J.D. Salinger said to "Raise High" this 2-word supporting piece of wood

MUSICAL WORDS & PHRASES $800: This alliterative popcorn treat is also a term for something trivial

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gordon: $16,000
Amaanda: $11,000
Philip: $10,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NOBEL PHYSICS PRIZE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Gordon: Wager $6,001 to cover Amaanda.
Amaanda: You ought to wager to cover Philip, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $11,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $10,200 (to shut out Philip) or less than $1,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Philip). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Gordon.
Philip: Consider risking between $401 and $600. This will top a $0 wager by Amaanda while still beating Gordon on the Triple Stumper (should Gordon wager to cover Amaanda's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2013 Laureate, this British man wrote a 1954 thesis on "Problems in the Theory of Molecular
Vibrations"

FINAL SCORES
Philip: $10,600 + $10,598 = $21,198 (Who is Higgs?) (New champion: $21,198)
Amaanda: $11,000 - $5,000 = $6,000 (Who is H Hawking?) (3rd place)
Gordon: $16,000 - $4,000 = $12,000 (Who is Hawking?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gordon: $16,000, 21 R, 2 W
Philip: $8,400, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Amaanda: $8,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Gordon: 21/58 = .362
Amaanda: 13/59 = .220
Philip: 11/60 = .183
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT WAS 1916 $800: A 10-month battle destroyed 9 villages in this country & left 300,000 dead
(Gordon: What is Verdun in [*]?)

1,000 FOODS TO EAT BEFORE YOU DIE $800: A tasty & popular pairing is Swedish meatballs served with preserves made from these cranberry cousins

WORLD OF RELIGION $1000: The "I Ching" or "Book of Changes" is a divination tool & one of the 5 Classics of this ancient Asian religion
(Gordon: What is Taoism?)

DOVER EXPOSURE $400: Dover is home to Wesley College & to this state university
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you're right.)

DOVER EXPOSURE $600: Dover sole is this kind of "fish", meaning it has both eyes on the same side of its head
(Gordon: What is a flounder?)

R-D-R HAR! $800: A commando or ranger on a military strike (perhaps from Oakland)
[end-of-round signal sounds]

MOVIES ON SUBMARINES $800: 1968: "Ice Station Zebra", starring him

GONNA AKE YOU HIGHER $1600: A sequoia tree named for this general & non-politician is nearly 275 feet high
(Alex: Good. Less than a minute now.)

1980s BOOKS $400: "The House of the Spirits" by Isabel Allende is set in an unnamed country based on this one
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Dominican Republic
the horn of plenty
The Bourne Identity
Mongolia
Muscogee
humdrum
the piano
Moorea
Howard Cosell
the roof beam
fiddle faddle
Peter Higgs
France
lingonberries
Confucianism
Delaware
a flatfish
a raider
Rock Hudson
Sherman
Chile
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Friendly reminder:

Contestants may elect to play the game differently than you might elect to do so.

Heck, contestants may elect to play the game differently than I might elect to do so.

That does not make them stupid.

Besides, it makes things more interesting.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex seemed really disinterested in the interviews today.

WLT "shark" at $200 in 1916? That whole category was completely impenetrable to me.

Also, WLT "rice" or "World War II" at $200?

Caviar was the only one of those five foods that I've ever even heard of before. I bet I'd have to drive all the way to Detroit just to find lingonberries.

"Both eyes on the same side of its head" was total negbait for "flounder".

I was trying to pull an M country in Asia and M city in Oklahoma, and came up empty handed both times. Both of those were total head slappers for me, especially the latter, because something something Merle Haggard.

Anyone else clam on "The Bourne Identity" because "Bourne" was in the clue?

Those musical terms were quite difficult. "Fiddle faddle"?!

I drew a complete blank on FJ! Not even the "H" hint got the wheels turning.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Oops. Wrong "H". Thought of them both, but just went with the wrong one.
Golf

Post by Golf »

When I saw the 1916 category I fully expected to see a high dollar clue asking about the founding of this sports organization, the PGA. It will come up sometime this year in honor of it's centennial.

Nice to see Phillip go DD hunting immediately and then wager the max. I wonder if that set the tone for the rest of the game or if all the contestants planned on jumping/hunting.

The two challengers made large wagers in DJ. But again, if you're going to go big, take full advantage and wager the max if you're toast anyway with a miss.

And then, after a fairly well played game, all three contestants made wagers that will cause Keith to break something else. But hey, they were just happy to be there. Don't worry about throwing away five figures cash due to lack of preparation.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Philip on his win. I had 35 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Mongolia, Muskogee, humdrum, Howard Cosell, and Fiddle Faddle. I also got the missed DD of Dominican Republic, and I got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Once again he wagered to stay above 2nd on a miss, rather than to lock them out with a get. Don't think I could ever bring myself to risk losing after getting FJ right from the lead, even if the category was 17th c. Hungarian poetry or whatever.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

:-)

Claven category!

The rest of the game had some tough questions, but redeemed itself (at least to me) with the final. Not really a good question though: that thesis has nothing to do with the Higgs boson. You just had to remember that 2012 was the discovery of the Higgs, and hence he was awarded the prize right afterwards. Other than that, it was name a famous physicist.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

After Final, I looked up Higgs' and Hawking's ages. If only I knew that before Final came up :oops:.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "shark" at $200 in 1916?
Animal that might kill four people at the beach.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, WLT "rice" or "World War II" at $200?
Food vital enough to Japan that a temple would be built to it. As far as Vera Lynn, you'd have to know her general time period.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Those musical terms were quite difficult. "Fiddle faddle"?!
Missed this one even though Bill Patschak, from the March 9 game, had a question on this subject at the trivia contest after this show aired. The question asked for the names of the three Conagra candied popcorn and peanut brands, none of which are Cracker Jack.
Spoiler
Fiddle Faddle, Crunch N Munch and Poppycock.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Wrong "H" here for FJ. Interestingly enough, Higgs was the correct response for FJ almost one year ago: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4843

But seriously, I fear for Keith's well-being after tonight's wagers. Can someone check on him?
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who only knows about lingonberries because of Ikea.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

Double Jeopardy chewed me up and spit me out, then set me on fire. Not a friendly board at all today.

I defintely would not have made any of those wagers, but the ones I had in mind would have produced the same outcome anyway.

The lingonberry clue has me craving Swedish meatballs now. Between Jeopardy and LL, I'm getting a lot of food inspiration lately.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

skullturf wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one here who only knows about lingonberries because of Ikea.
I thought of IKEA and still managed to say loganberries.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

skullturf wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one here who only knows about lingonberries because of Ikea.
You are not.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bad game for me as I couldn't recall lot of answers. I blame it on slices of pizza I had in celebration of pi day.
The champ had difficulty ringing in... Let's see what a games experience does. Gordon had some good gets.
I dismissed hawking being too young for the date and had nothing else.

As tph indicated, I wasn't sure about Bourne identity since Bourne was in the clue. I thought Gordon was right on top of Philip for that DD.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

mpahu wrote:Double Jeopardy chewed me up and spit me out, then set me on fire. Not a friendly board at all today.

I defintely would not have made any of those wagers, but the ones I had in mind would have produced the same outcome anyway.

The lingonberry clue has me craving Swedish meatballs now. Between Jeopardy and LL, I'm getting a lot of food inspiration lately.
Today was a nightmare for me. Only 23 right and whiffed on FJ. Hawking was the only name that came to mind, but 1954 felt too early for him. I did get all the Daily Doubles, as well as Fiddle Faddle.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Having to think "Calais" was painful.

I find myself in an unusual position tonight: agreeing with TPH on a lot.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Alex seemed really disinterested in the interviews today.

Also, WLT "rice" or "World War II" at $200?
I had "mushroom" and "WWI". I hadn't known that "mushroom Inari" is actually a type of sushi. In hindsight, recordings weren't that widespread in WWI.
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Both eyes on the same side of its head" was total negbait for "flounder".
I fell for that trap, too.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I was trying to pull an M country in Asia and M city in Oklahoma, and came up empty handed both times.
I had Malaysia, was considering Myanmar, didn't think of Mongolia. I would have clammed.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Those musical terms were quite difficult. "Fiddle faddle"?!
Yeah. Kudos to Amanda for making a big wager on her DD even though "humdrum" (poorly written clue imo) was the previous TS.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.