Monday, February 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woppy T »

did TBTB tell the contestants to make weird hand motions during their intros? I was roting for Sarah because of her restraint on this (doing nothing).
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I think the other problem here is I wasn't thinking the FJ! response would be a book at all.
If interpreters were needed what did you think it could be?
TenPoundHammer wrote: Also, I thought the King James Bible was WAY the hell older than that.
The bible is- just not that version.
FJ seemed pretty sussable with the year, the fact it needed interpretation , it involved England and therefore probably a King, etc.
I think I learned a few of those viral videos from ... was it DoT's SHC, or a Who's Special from the old forum? Definitely Charlie bit my finger was on it, and at least one other.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I guessed Pulitzer on the Nobel clue, so it's a forgiveable stumper in my book. (Yes, I'm setting the table.)

Credit to The Twilight Zone for getting Owl Creek Bridge. With great trepidation I gambled that the good man hard to find was the $2000 response, but the value had me ready to be burned.

Did one of the clues mention the OED? I'm thinking, yes, but game play moves so quickly and I play half looking at my scoresheet I'm not sure. If it did then no way that is the response for FJ. The writers purposely tried to steer the players away from that.

I dodged a bullet in figuring out synchronicity for the Vocabulary DD, but I got torched in History when it was a word origin type clue when I was hopeful for a name or fact. Sarah was so quick on Slavs I didn't have time to put it together.

The FJ clue was easier once I did the math and wrote down 1611 on my paper. In...Amen.

Tonight's game lived up to the billing of a wide open finals. Nothing has been decided yet and all of the players had a good night. 33% on the FJ clue tossed things around once more.

Forget Zack's fencing interview for WTFDHS. It was one of the correct responses I think in North America the Beautiful where I have no idea what he said to get the money.
z.terrill
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by z.terrill »

Hey folks! Zack here from today's final. Similarly to other contestants, I've been lurking here for a while, so I figured I might as well make a post

First, apologies for the unorthodox, full-body style of ringing-in and general incoherence when speaking. I'm just a really hyperactive, talkative, overly enthusiastic person so when I'm put into a stressful situation (a la Jeopardy!) my quirks sort of go into overdrive. (and despite what twitter has said I was not on caffeine pills, cocaine, crack, speed, or large doses Adderall during filming)

And yeah as someone has previously pointed out, I totally did a face palm when watching today when I saw the OED reference in a previous clue. I was almost certain that my FJ! response was incorrect but if I could've recalled its previous mention, I would have immediately discarded it to begin with. This also marks the my second FJ! response dealing with a biblical reference in some shape, and given that I'm now 0/2 it's pretty obvious where my knowledge is lacking a bit...

Anyway, hope everyone has enjoyed this College Championship thus far!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

jeff6286 wrote: I'm putting down a biblical answer on tomorrow's FJ no matter what, even if the category is "The NFL in the 21st Century".
The 2010 headline "Amen! After 43 Years, Our Prayers Are Answered" referred to this team.

:)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

goforthetie wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: I'm putting down a biblical answer on tomorrow's FJ no matter what, even if the category is "The NFL in the 21st Century".
The 2010 headline "Amen! After 43 Years, Our Prayers Are Answered" referred to this team.

:)
What is Toronto? Er...I mean Chicago.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I think the other problem here is I wasn't thinking the FJ! response would be a book at all.
I was somehow thinking it'd be a document of some sort. Rosetta Stone. Some ancient findings needing translation.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

FJ! was an instaget for me, due to a trivia night in Seattle last summer. One of the questions was which KJB anniversary was being celebrated, the 400th, 500th, or 600th. Based on James' association with Shakespeare, I knew it had to be the early 1600s, so we wrote down 500th (since we're in the 21st century now?), not noticing the math error. As it turned out, 500th was the "official" answer (I guess the quizmaster made the same error), so we got credit for it, as we had been expecting. We didn't realize the errors were made until someone pulled out a smartphone after the game and pointed out the wrong answer, though they were told it wouldn't have changed the final standings anyways.

The moral of the story is... don't settle for an "inferior" trivia night if you're in Seattle, as there were no such errors at the Reddpen trivia night we attended afterwards. :)
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

National Geographic's December issue had the KJV anniversary as its cover story, so today's FJ was an instaget for me. On the other hand, I clearly need to start reading EW because those pop culture clues just eat my lunch. And I remember reading the Faulkner short story in high school, but I couldn't remember if it was plain Emily or Miss Emily in the title.

I really love how the three finalists have turned up here to comment--hooray! If I could ask a question: Zack, did Maggie or anyone speak to you about your enthusiastic style of ringing in? In a contestant interview a few years ago, I asked her what they would do if a contestant stated to twitch or something, and she said they didn't want to throw anyone off his game during play. Just wondering if they said something. :)

Monica, I have to admit you've been a favorite-I always have to support Texans on the show. Plus I loved the way you pounced on that "Yay, Physics" category in an earlier round. Are you considering A&M at all for a transfer school? A few of us boardies are Ags.

Best of luck (retroactively) for Day 2 to all three of you!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

What exactly would the Oxford English Dictionary have been translated from?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

BuzzABoom wrote:FJ was an instaget for me, but would it have been safe to rule out OED as an answer if one had remembered it being mentioned in one of the vocabulary categories during DJ? I can't remember which clue it was, but I believe it was the 1200 one.
Duh... which is why I'm stunned that two of them said that as their response. You're not going to see something in FJ that was already used earlier in the show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cinemaniax7 wrote:What exactly would the Oxford English Dictionary have been translated from?
Brummie, maybe? Cockney?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It wasn't North America the Beautiful, but the Viral Videos that had the response I could not pick up. I needed the archive to figure out it was "double rainbow." 21, 20, 16 for correct responses is not bad for an even finals.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I got briefly distracted by the 'translated by ......" wondering if that was the celebration or the original. That didn't last long. The Old ENGLISH Dictionary wouldn't need translation.
I have really enjoyed watching Monica play. She is really knowledgable and seems to be having all that fun that Sarah is NOT having. I did admire Sarah continuing to make fairly large DD bets when clearly she didn't want to. Well done all.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I first thought OED on FJ, and rather than realize the faulty logic in translators writing a dictionary, I recalled from Justin Bernbach's first FJ that it was begun in the 19th century. So I thought of old English books, came up with KJV, recalled that Jamestown was founded in 1607, and locked it in.

I got "synchronicity" off the English meaning and "chron" (I couldn't get to "syn" from "with," but luckily didn't need to).

For the overall lead going into tomorrow's FJ, Zack would need to lead Sara by more than $900 and Monica by over $5,000; Sara would have to lead Monica by more than $4,100 and either lead Zack or be less than $900 behind him; and Monica would just have to get the lead or be within $4,100 of Sara and within $5,000 of Zack.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Oh, how easily we forget Marge Schott! (and with good reason!)
Oh, I remembered instantly and was going to say something if no one else did (I just came late to the party). Also, didn't the Seattle Sonics (or some Seattle team) have a woman at the front office?
emtwo wrote:In regards to moving to another university after I graduate from this program: most likely. UNT's a fine place, but do you really want to go to the same place for college that you went for high school?
My alma mater has a high school in it (I went to that University for four years, keep getting the alumni newsletters, and still don't know how it works, all I know is that it's a different arrangement from what Monica is in), but I do remember hearing that somewhere in the 90+% of grads from The Collegiate go to the U of W, so ... (Never looked at it from your perspective, but then, as I said, this is slightly different, as they're taking a high school curriculum that's located within a University)
Paucle wrote:
A Jeopardy! clue? He seems to need interpreters for those on a daily basis ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I still can NOT keep those kings straight. How the freaking hell do you guys do it? .
Granted, I missed it, too..I said OED(please tell me you know what the 'freaking' OED is!).
But people who know facts that elude your grasp, 'do it' by reading, comprehending, and committing to memory...basically, they store away facrs and knowledge, the way you seem to store your trite, predictable responses, like 'How the freakity freak can ANYbody get THAT?' and 'I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS infinity pick the wrong one when it's either-or.'
What is 'they have a freaking clue.'?
Sage on the Hudson

Jacobean jackanapeses

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

econgator wrote:Guess who was King of England in 1611. No, really, guess ... ;)
Would the judges have accepted "King Jacob Version" of the Bible, I wonder?

TenPoundHammer wrote:I still can NOT keep those kings straight. How the freaking hell do you guys do it? I mean, there must be like 20 of them with the same name. How am I supposed to keep track of a King James I from a King James XIXIXIXIXIX* from a King James KFC/A&W?

*He was the one who couldn't count.
There've been only two Jameses in British History. Funny thing about the British -- when they get a really terrible king (as was James II, who got chased out of England in 1688), future monarchs stop giving their sons (the ones destined to become Prince of Wales, anyway) those names, hence only one John, the two Jameses and three Richards.

alietr wrote:After that interview, I'm totally smitten with Sarah.
No, it's Monica who's really adorable.

DBear wrote:I clammed on "A Good Man is Hard to Find" for that reason.
All this time, you thought it was Mae West who said it, huh?

alamble wrote:Mrs. Payson was an original co-owner of the Mets because she had money (and she was a former investor in the baseball Giants), not because she had baseball acumen.
She had money and truly loved baseball (triva: her brother, John Hay "Jock" Whitney, was one of the founders of Pioneer Pictures, which produced the first three-strip Technicolor feature film, BECKY SHARP [1935], and main backer of David O. Selznick's Selznick International Pictures).

alietr wrote:Oh, how easily we forget Marge Schott! (and with good reason!)
How can one forget someone whose St. Bernard was constantly pooping on the Reds' playing field, and drooling on her extensive collection of Nazi memorabilia?
bpmod wrote:All I heard was "I jngmhtu mrntn nafbrh ndfhrttyng..." etc.
You must've mistakenly tuned in to a broadcast of the Welsh version of Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Onairb wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:But people who know facts that elude your grasp, 'do it' by reading, comprehending, and committing to memory...basically, they store away facrs and knowledge
I've given eleventy billion chances with a lot of this crap, but it just won't stick. I can't find a single memorization method that works. Even if I stood in my room and did nothing but say "Mauritania" for 36 hours, I would still forget it entirely when trying to put together a map of Africa.

And when you have forty billion kings, all of whose names are [single name] + [Roman numeral], and there are up to 16 (or more) kings with the same single name, they ARE going to blend together, are they not?
BoK

Post by BoK »

StevenH wrote: I went 0/5 in the Viral Videos. The only one that I had even heard of was "Charlie Bit My Finger," and I think that I might have learned that one in the last college tournament.
It was in the last SHC. That's the only reason I got it. And I only got Susan Boyle because they just asked about her in the online contestant test.