Monday, March 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY CATEGORY
WORLD HERITAGE SITES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 14th century citadel of the Ho dynasty in this country was added to the World Heritage List in 2011

Steve Stoffle: 13600-1=13599
Kim Vu: 6000+5500=11500
Melissa Spencer: 6800+6800=13600 (new champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vietnam (Steve - Korea)
Daily Doubles
Steve: 800+1000
Steve: 8600 +3000
Melissa: 8800-2000 (last clue of DJ! round with Steve at 13600)

Coryats
Steve: 11600
Kim: 6000
Melissa: 8800

Combined: 26,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: Monday, March 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Carpe Diem »

Really thought that today was going to be the day....
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Players are scared of the game coming down to one question.

But life comes down to one question.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

So we miss the first post-rule change tiebreaker by $1.

That St. Clair River clue wasn't exactly fair; it drains Lake Huron into Lake St. Clair, not Lake Erie.

I was thinking the French category would be an excellent place for a neg for a contestant daily double hunting who had no idea what the category was about, maybe thinking it was about French language errors, voila.

Arthur Fiedler made album after album and even had a PBS show for many years, but he's hardly ever mentioned anymore, and his recordings are basically no longer played.

e e cummings was a very easy get.

NLRA another easy one.

I reasoned L'Observatore was either Vatican or San Marino and went with the obvious one.

I think the key to FJ is realizing it isn't China; but then how one gets to Vietnam is either YEKIOD.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

floridagator wrote:So we miss the first post-rule change tiebreaker by $1.

That St. Clair River clue wasn't exactly fair; it drains Lake Huron into Lake St. Clair, not Lake Erie.

I was thinking the French category would be an excellent place for a neg for a contestant daily double hunting who had no idea what the category was about, maybe thinking it was about French language errors, voila.

Arthur Fiedler made album after album and even had a PBS show for many years, but he's hardly ever mentioned anymore, and his recordings are basically no longer played.

e e cummings was a very easy get.

NLRA another easy one.

I reasoned L'Observatore was either Vatican or San Marino and went with the obvious one.

I think the key to FJ is realizing it isn't China; but then how one gets to Vietnam is either YEKIOD.

Again...since the "No-ties allowed" rule applied, this made people really disappointed, if not, skeeved, of not getting any money also. Steve probably right now regrets not getting more money to add while the new champ earns less money than what Steve won on Friday.

BTW...Keith Williams, take a look at this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... son_games/

I don't know if you saw this, but one person said that you were to blame.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Missed Thursday and Friday thanks to NCAA, and have yet to catch back up.

Did anyone else notice that the captions were in mixed-case instead of all-caps?

WLT Buddha on Holidays for $200?

Duelists demand satisfaction?

I knew that L'osservatore Romano = Vatican because of a late-90s MAD article that had religious-themed parodies of various comic strips as they would run in that paper. (The funniest one was a FoxTrot strip that had Jason drawing parallels between Jesus's story and the story of the original Star Wars trilogy -- not too long before Bill Amend used the same joke in the actual strip.)

No guess on FJ! What the hell was the TOM?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Give us our damn tiebreaker. I hate them all :(

Also, did she know betting 2k and getting that DD wrong would drop her into a lock tie, or was it just the usual safe 2000 wager? At least she bet it all, but meh.

Never heard of that site, but Ho made me think of Ho Chi Minh --> Vietnam. I'll take it.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Melissa on her win. I had 44 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Saint Paul, Laughlin, casein, Frost, Thurber, Byrd, Arizona Republic, National Labor Relations Act, and the Vatican. I also got FJ.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Stupidity. No other way to put it. There's just not.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! What the hell was the TOM?
I am guessing Ho --> Ho Chi Minh --> Vietnam, but I didn't get this so I don't know.

I thought maybe they were describing Ankor Wat, so I said Cambodia.

My one consolation was sweeping the Mel Brooks category
Golf

Post by Golf »

The only thing that really matters is did Melissa wager $2000 knowing exactly where a miss would leave her, or was it just a useless round number?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! What the hell was the TOM?
I am guessing Ho --> Ho Chi Minh --> Vietnam, but I didn't get this so I don't know.

I thought maybe they were describing Ankor Wat, so I said Cambodia.

My one consolation was sweeping the Mel Brooks category
That was my guess, too.

Also, I get that it's a bottom row clue and this is trivia, but is there any reason I should know that southernmost city in NV?

Oh yeah -- good on Steve for betting the dollar. I would always bet the dollar.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

People really don't want to risk the tiebreaker question. This seemed like the post-rule change situation that called for the tie wager the most. I guess you go for the category you expect rather than a buzzer contest on the one you don't.

My WAG on FJ worked out. I'll take that start to the week however I can get it.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

floridagator wrote:Arthur Fiedler made album after album and even had a PBS show for many years, but he's hardly ever mentioned anymore, and his recordings are basically no longer played.
Arthur Fiedler was a brand that could be sold to middle America with album covers like this.

These days, they might downloaded music conducted by his successor John Williams.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

OSXpert wrote:I thought maybe they were describing Ankor Wat, so I said Cambodia.
Same here.

I had trouble remembering whether Angkor Wat was in Cambodia or Thailand, but I said Cambodia, so I was at least right about that.

I only thought about the Ho Chi Minh connection after the reveals. I then looked up Ho Chi Minh, and it turns out he wasn't born with the name Ho.

I don't remember having heard of the citadel in question. This seemed more "you know it or you don't" than other FJs.

Funny moment for me in the "e before i" category: In the Santa clue, the word that immediately popped into my head was "reindeer", but I clammed because that's not quite a vehicle, even though it kind of is in Santa's case.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Started to go with Japan on FJ, but "Ho" steered me to Vietnam.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also said reindeer for the Santa clue.

I said South Korea for FJ, but as soon as Alex said it was now visited by lots of Americans, I knew it was Vietnam. I spent too much time trying to figure out if there was anything significant about 2011.

A good FJ bet by Steve, but a bad FJ response. If it had been in South (or even North) Korea, there is no way they'd have taken his response.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

There was no TOM other than "Ho" evokes Ho Chi Minh and you know it ain't China cuz a) that would be stupid answers cat; and b) of course you 'member Ming dynasty was running China at that time, in fact a quik wiki after the show reveals that the Ming moved on Nam Viet in 1407 to 'take back what was theirs for 1000 years.' Briefly considered Korea but felt fairly certain it was still under Mongol rule following the 1274-1281 disastrous expeditions against Japan in which most of the Mongol Army drowned and their navy was shipwrecked by kamikaze ("Divine Wind").
Following the 1406–7 Ming–Hồ War which overthrew the Hồ dynasty, Vietnamese independence was briefly interrupted by the Chinese Ming dynasty, but was restored by Lê Lợi, the founder of the Lê dynasty. The Vietnamese dynasties reached their zenith in the Lê dynasty of the 15th century, especially during the reign of Emperor Lê Thánh Tông (1460–1497). Between the 11th and 18th centuries, Vietnam expanded southward in a process known as nam tiến ("southward expansion"),[27] eventually conquering the kingdom of Champa and part of the Khmer Empire
50R! Educated FJ guess FTW & 10 LT: Bahamas > Columbus first landing; St Paul Conversion in January; screech owl; casein in milk; Robert Frost was a teacher in NH; Emma Lazarus > Venus of the Louvre; Richard Byrd flew over the S Pole (Earning his name, 'Bird" terribad TOM), guessing at Wiley Post was ouch expensive; denied SATisfaction; sundries; Romano newspaper > moved to Vatican City. Fairly confident of a win from the 4th with all that trash and get on FJ, given pretty low scores tonight. 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!