Tuesday, February 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6312, 2012-02-14

2012 College Championship final game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Zack Terrill, a senior at Vanderbilt University from Winter Springs, Florida (subtotal of $8,000)
Monica Thieu, a sophomore at the University of North Texas from Dallas, Texas (subtotal of $18,000)
Sarah Bart, a senior at Goucher College from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (subtotal of $9,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the deciding game of our College Championship. We'll get rid of those scores in front of the players. They'll be added to whatever they earn today to determine the champion. Good luck. Let's go to work. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A FEW THINGS HAPPENED IN 1865 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CELEBRITY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN (4/5)
FITNESS (4/5)
SCI FI & FANTASY (3/5)
LEARN SOME GERMAN (2/5)
ODD JOBS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Zack: 7 R, 1 W
Sarah: 9 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 5 W
Monica: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Sarah had $1,400, Monica had $200, and Zack was at $1,400. Sarah made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

A FEW THINGS HAPPENED IN 1865 $600: William Booth formed this Christian service organization to help the working class & the poor

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sarah: $3,000
Zack: $2,400
Monica: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. The contestants never know what I'm going to ask them in these conversation breaks, and that puts a little bit of a pressure on them, but there's even more pressure on the deciding game of the finals, because I tell them you can talk about anything you want to discuss. So, Zack, what about it?

Zack: Um, just excited to be here. I'm glad my parents and cousin could make it. Um, shout-out to everyone back at Vanderbilt. Go, 'Dores! And yeah, this is a great experience.

Alex: Monica, any members of your family in our audience today to cheer you on?

Monica: Yes. My mom's in the audience, but the rest of my family had to stay back because my little brother's in school. Uh... unfortunately.

Alex: Would you rather have had them here, or do you think that would have put more pressure on you?

Monica: I think I would have been a little bit worse. I don't like having people who, like, you know, really paying attention to me.

Alex: Does your family not pay attention to you?

Monica: No. Just enough.

Alex: Just enough.

Alex: Sarah, what about you? Anybody here that, uh, uh, you would like to give a shout-out to?

Sarah: Oh, I see three or four people--well, more than that in the audience right now waving. Yeah, I got my--got my pep squad over there. Um...

Alex: Your pep quad?

Sarah: Well, my parents, my sister Allison, my roommate from Goucher, Kelly, who graduated already, and my friends from my study abroad program in London, Jillian and Molly.

Alex: Aha. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CELEBRITY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN $400: Actor Antonio Banderas
(Sarah: What is Argentina?)

SCI FI & FANTASY $800: Medicinal-sounding last name of Robert Lynn, whose fantasy works include "Thieves' World" & "Myth Adventures"

FITNESS $800: The West Point candidate fitness assessment is a basketball throw, 2 runs & these 3 exercises with "up" in their names
(Sarah: What are push-ups? Oh... never mind.)
(Alex: Three of them--oh, okay. Zack.)
(Zack: What are push-ups, pull-ups and chin-ups?)

SCI FI & FANTASY $1000: Lord Foul is a really bad, bad guy in Stephen R. Donaldson's "Chronicles of" this unbelieving man

LEARN SOME GERMAN $600: A weather adjective:
neblig
(Sarah: What is snow-y?)

LEARN SOME GERMAN $800: A camper's necessity:
Schlafsack
(Monica: What is a backpack?)
(Sarah: What is a knapsack?)
(Alex: Schlaf refers to sleep, so it's a [*].)

LEARN SOME GERMAN $1000: How about some seafood:
Hummer
(Sarah: What is tuna?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Zack: $4,800
Sarah: $1,400
Monica: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ISLANDS (3/5)
2 FOR THE SHOW (4/5)
A BIBLE BOOK FOR THEE (2/5) (Alex: Give us the book of the Bible.)
GOVERNMENT & POLITICS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CLASSICAL MUSIC (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ENDS IN "GHT" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Zack: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Monica: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Monica snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sarah had $2,600, Monica had $2,600, and Zack was at $4,000. Monica wagered $1,000.

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1600: "Play of the Waves" is a movement from this Claude Debussy work
(Monica: What is Jeux, or Games?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sarah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Sarah had $5,400, Monica had $2,800, and Zack was at $7,600. Sarah wagered $2,000.

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS $1600: Chaired by Daniel Inouye, this Senate committee writes the bills that allocate funds to government agencies
(Alex: Sarah?)
(Sarah: I can't think of it.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENDS IN "GHT" $400: Lao-tzu wrote, "To yield is to be preserved whole, to be bent is to become" this

ISLANDS $1200: Cockburn Town on Grand Turk has been the seat of government in this British Caribbean island group since 1766
[Alex pronounced Cockburn as Coburn.]
(Sarah: What are the British Virgin Islands?)

ISLANDS $1600: This South Pacific kingdom made news in 1999 when it appointed a court jester who then cheated the govt. out of $26 million
(Monica: What is Brunei?)

2 FOR THE SHOW $1200: On the original series with this number in the title, the family moved from Minnesota; on the reboot, from Kansas

ENDS IN "GHT" $2000: A deteriorated or ill-conceived city area is an example of urban this
(Zack: What is plight?)
(Alex: You were one letter off. It's not plight, it's [*].)

A BIBLE BOOK FOR THEE $1200: Seals, then trumpets, then "Babylon the great is fallen"

A BIBLE BOOK FOR THEE $1600: A rough fishing trip, then "Nineveh shall be overthrown"

A BIBLE BOOK FOR THEE $2000: "So Moses... died there in the land of Moab", then Joshua took over
(Alex: At least you're learning something about the Bible.)
[Laughter from entire audience]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Zack: $8,800
Monica: $5,200
Sarah: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Zack: Wager $1,601 to cover Monica.
Monica: You have the hope of surpassing Zack if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,001 to force Zack to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Sarah.
Sarah: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $4,598 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 14 countries that border China run alphabetically from this to Vietnam

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $4,600 + $4,600 = $9,200 = $19,000 cumulative (What is Afghanistan) (1st runner-up: $50,000)
Monica: $5,200 + $3,000 = $8,200 = $26,200 cumulative (What is Afghanistan??) (Tournament champion: $100,000 + a trophy)
Zack: $8,800 - $8,800 = $0 = $8,000 cumulative (What is Bhutan?) (2nd runner-up: $25,000)
(Alex: Monica Thieu, congratulations, young lady. You are the new Jeopardy! college champion.)
(Monica: Oh, my God! Thank you!)
(Alex: Come on out here, Monica. $50,000 for Sarah and Zack gets $25,000...)
(Monica: What?)
(Alex: But you get the trophy, young lady, and $100,000.)
(Monica: What is this? Wow! Thank you.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Zack: $8,800, 14 R, 4 W
Monica: $6,200, 13 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: $5,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 7 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $20,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 17/60 = .283
Zack: 14/58 = .241
Monica: 14/59 = .237
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CELEBRITY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN $1000: Singer Feist
(Monica: What is England?)

FITNESS $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew lays on her back on a mat as she demonstrates the motion described.) Focus on working out your abdominal muscles by doing these modified sit-ups, which use a smaller range of motion

ODD JOBS $400: Spelling is key with this high-altitude message making that uses special oil vaporized into dense white smoke
(Monica: What is smoke signaling?)

CLASSICAL MUSIC $800: A symphony generally has this many movements, with the first played moderately fast
(Zack: What is three?)

2 FOR THE SHOW $800: Garfield the cat was animated in a film punningly subtitled "A Tail of Two" these
(Monica: What are Cities?)

A BIBLE BOOK FOR THEE $400: "Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord" & there was much begat-ing
(Zack: What is Exodus?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Salvation Army
Spain
Aspirin
push-ups, pull-ups & sit-ups
Thomas Covenant
foggy
sleeping bag
lobster
La Mer
the Appropriations Committee
straight
the Turks & Caicos Islands
the Kingdom of Tonga
blight
Revelation
Jonah
Deuteronomy
Afghanistan
Canada
crunches
skywriting
four
Kitties
Genesis
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Re: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goforthetie »

That was kind of painful. Among other things, I guess there is now ample evidence from the last 3 days that college kids these days don't know their Bible...

Nevertheless, congrats to the champ!
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Congrats to Monica. I enjoy someone from a lesser known school punking the fancy pants universities. And to think, I used to get the North Texas Mean Green confused with the Texas State Fightin' Armadillos. Same colors, perhaps.

Almost muffed the Final, as I fixated on Bhutan pretty quickly, before recalling the Wakhan Corridor.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Countries of the World
The 14 countries that border China run alphabetically from this to Vietnam.
Spoiler
What is Afghanistan? Zack said Bhutan.
Day 1 totals:
Monica Thieu (North Texas): $18,000
Sarah Bart (Goucher College): $9,800
Zack Terrill (Vanderbilt): $8,000

Today's results:
Zack: $8,800-$8,800=$0
Monica: $5,200+$3,000=$8,200
Sarah: $4,600+$4,600=$9,200

Combined Totals:
Monica: $18,000+$8,200=$26,200
Sarah: 9,800+$9,200=$19,000
Zack: $8,000+$0=$8,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Ugh, what a lousy game to watch. I think it may have been possible to win just with Lach Trash.

Oh well, congrats to Monica on winning the tournament!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That Bible category was hilarious. That Islands category...yeah. Turks and Caicos in the middle box of a college tourney? The writers were feeling particularly evil.

Instaget FJ.

Congrats to Monica!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Horrible J! round for me. When I'm tired, I second, third, fourth and fifth-guess myself. One of the clues could be "It's your name." and I'd clam because I'm not sure if they want Bobby or Robert. Adrenaline came to me during the break by having a temper tantrum over my coaxial in this room somehow disconnecting and me taking three minutes to figure that out.

For instance, I knew "oh, not LBJ, the other Johnson... what's his name again?" "What's that called again when airplanes write in the sky?" "Body mass... indication? Index? Indicator?"

On the other hand, I got Wheel of Time because I saw it mentioned on TV Tropes. Reading that site really helps!

Also couldn't understand the virus clue. And I have no idea how you'd expect German for $1000 to be lobster vs. nearly anything else that lives in the sea.

4/5 in Bible, saying Exodus upon seeing Moses in the clue. Nasty negbait there. I mean, who reads Deuteronomy anyway?

Was all set to say Afghanistan on FJ!, but then I said, "You know what, the other FJ!s have been balls tough these past few days, I'm going with Azerbaijan."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Congrats to Monica! It may not have been a pretty 2nd round, but hey, it's the end result that matters. Congrats also to Sarah and Zack for 2nd and 3rd.

Now ... how did you all miss "sit-up" when there was just a clue mentioning them not 30 seconds before? :D

Also, was there an edit before the "hummer" (lobster) clue? They cut to the three of you and Monica is shown ending a shrug before Alex is even done reading the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:Now ... how did you all miss "sit-up" when there was just a clue mentioning them not 30 seconds before? :D
Same thing as me probably. When the clue requires three things, your mind gets all "What are X, Y and... um, wait, did I say X yet?"

ETA: There seemed to be a lot of weird editing. For instance, on the Banderas clue, there was virtually no pause at all between "No." and Beep-beep-beep, "What is Spain?"
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Was it just me or were the questions way harder than the ones yesterday?

In addition, the islands questions today were WAYWAY harder than the ones that came out last week( I think). I believe I only got 2!!! o.O

Found the German question real tricky as seafood and fish were both very much possible for "hummer". At least narrow it to crustacean!

I had no idea Afghanistan touched China, I quickly went to B,C and omitted A's.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote:I had no idea Afghanistan touched China, I quickly went to B,C and omitted A's.
For the record, the 14 are:

Mongolia
Russia
North Korea
Vietnam
Laos
Myanmar
Bhutan
Nepal
India
Pakistan
Afghanistan
Tajikistan
Kyrgyzstan
Kazakhstan
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Horrible J! round for me. When I'm tired, I second, third, fourth and fifth-guess myself. One of the clues could be "It's your name." and I'd clam because I'm not sure if they want Bobby or Robert. Adrenaline came to me during the break by having a temper tantrum over my coaxial in this room somehow disconnecting and me taking three minutes to figure that out.

For instance, I knew "oh, not LBJ, the other Johnson... what's his name again?" "What's that called again when airplanes write in the sky?" "Body mass... indication? Index? Indicator?"

On the other hand, I got Wheel of Time because I saw it mentioned on TV Tropes. Reading that site really helps!

Also couldn't understand the virus clue. And I have no idea how you'd expect German for $1000 to be lobster vs. nearly anything else that lives in the sea.

4/5 in Bible, saying Exodus upon seeing Moses in the clue. Nasty negbait there. I mean, who reads Deuteronomy anyway?

Was all set to say Afghanistan on FJ!, but then I said, "You know what, the other FJ!s have been balls tough these past few days, I'm going with Azerbaijan."

Yeah I had Azerbaijan on my mind too but wasn't sure of spelling and it seemed way to far from China. Didn't Monica say Johnson? Shouldn't she questioned again to specify?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:Now ... how did you all miss "sit-up" when there was just a clue mentioning them not 30 seconds before? :D
That's probably why I ruled it out...bah.
TenPoundHammer wrote: ETA: There seemed to be a lot of weird editing. For instance, on the Banderas clue, there was virtually no pause at all between "No." and Beep-beep-beep, "What is Spain?"
Maybe that's how they managed to get both TS-filled rounds in without a single....nope, no. Not worth it anymore.
emtwo
Contributor

Post by emtwo »

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you get a bunch of agnostics on Jeopardy. It ain't pretty. The German was less than wunderbar (ahem), but that's luck... Honestly for FJ I put down Afghanistan because it started with an A. I didn't think China stretched that far west, but now I know haha. (thanks for the good wishes from everyone too, by the way!)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I took 2 years of German and never needed the word for lobster. Nor whatever $600 was. The problem I have with German is that I can never remember which article goes with which noun, since unlike Spanish, the last letter in the word doesn't give you a hint.

I took FOUR years of Spanish and never needed the word for, say, "Bacon" either. Or "otter", or "basement" or "fishnets" or "doughnut".
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:I had no idea Afghanistan touched China, I quickly went to B,C and omitted A's.
For the record, the 14 are:

Mongolia
Russia
North Korea
Vietnam
Laos
Myanmar
Bhutan
Nepal
India
Pakistan
Afghanistan
Tajikistan
Kyrgyzstan
Kazakhstan

I was pretty sure Pakistan was the farthest west China touches, little did I know Afghanistan extends east past Peshawar, Pakistan...
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Monica for winning the tournament! And Congrats to Sarah and Zack on their performances!

This board was hard, much harder than yesterday's. I wouldn't blame the contestants for the low scores, they proved throughout their 4 games that they knew their stuff.

For the most part I thought the clues on this board were good, but there were a lot that were just too hard and overvalued or undervalued. I was shocked to see that Harvey Dent/Two-Face clue at the bottom of the board.

That clue where they wanted sit ups, pull ups, and push ups was just stupid. I don't know how you were not supposed to guess chin ups, especially since sit ups had already been mentioned in the clue on crunches.

Zack really got on a roll and had some impressive gets. I thought that he was going to run away with it there for a second.

For FJ I locked in on Bhutan first, then I realized that as long as Afghanistan bordered China it had to be the correct response, and I was almost positive that it does, so I went with Afghanistan.

Best of luck to Monica in the next ToC!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Was anyone else self-spoiled on FJ? When I saw Monica had it right and her wager, I knew she was the champ, as she had a score Zack couldn't attain. I calculated 2201 by her would lock out Zack. I think that was correct.)
Very impressed by all three players, that any left the stage alive after those nasty boards.

Good news bad news situation! Good is that there's going to be another OToC! The bad is that a computer screw-up plugged that tourney's final board into tonight's board.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Great game, but jeeze that Bible category was painful. And Zack kept going to it!

Well done Monica. When was the last sophomore winner, or that last 18 year old winner (if ever)?