Tuesday, March 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7267, 2016-03-29

CONTESTANTS
Michelle Bulger Mabery, a management consultant from Atlanta, Georgia
Todd Giese, a hotel front desk manager from New Orleans, Louisiana
Erin Bowers, a patent examiner from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. I'm hoping as we start today's game that it's as exciting and as thrilling as yesterday's match was. Erin won with $30,001. The player who came in third had accumulated $22,798, so they were all very, very good. Todd and Michelle, I hope you two are as good as yesterday's challenges. Good luck! Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATE LANDMARKS (4/5)
INVERTEBRATES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLOTHES (4/5)
I'M RETIRED (4/5)
I RUN A LITTLE (5/5)
"B" & "B" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erin: 11 R, 1 W
Todd: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Michelle: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Todd found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Erin had $1,200, Todd had $1,200, and Michelle had nothing in the bank. Todd made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

INVERTEBRATES $800: In 1983 Louisiana made this lobster relative its state crustacean

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Todd: $3,200
Erin: $2,400
Michelle: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Michelle Bulger Mabery is from Atlanta, Georgia. She is a management consultant. She is married. And her husband proposed to her in what I would think is a very romantic place.

Michelle: Yes. He surprised me with a trip to Paris because--

Alex: Hello.

Michelle: --he's a storybook character that came to life, and he proposed at the Temple of Love at Versailles, in the gardens. It's a marble gazebo. It's beautiful.

Alex: And you said yes.

Michelle: Yeah, how could I say no?

Alex: Good answer.

Alex: Todd Giese from New Orleans. Hotel front desk manager at some boutique hotels, I understand, that may or may not be haunted? Is that right?

Todd: There are four of them in the French Quarter, I don't have them, but I work at them. And they're all built around the 1830s, and you know, everything in New Orleans, especially in the French Quarter, is always iffy whether it's haunted or not haunted, you know? You kind of feel out the guests, see if they want it to be before you answer, you know, when they ask.

[Laughter]

Alex: Have any of them complained and said, "We've seen something, we've heard something?"

Todd: We--I wouldn't call it complaints, but yeah, we do get a lot of people--guests will come back and bring us their pictures with little fuzzy things in the mirrors and stuff like that, you know? But they're very proud of it. You know, they love to have it.

Alex: Yes, but they just don't know how to focus with their cameras.

[Laughter]

Todd: Maybe.

Alex: That's the problem.

Alex: Erin Bowers is our champion. She is from Washington D.C. Very knowledgeable in many different areas and also very musical, I understand.

Erin: Yes. I sing second alto in the City Choir of Washington, which is a professional-level volunteer chorus that serves the D.C. area.

Alex: Is it a big choir?

Erin: It's about 100 people--between 100 and 120, depends on the concert.

Alex: Do you perform mostly in the Washington, D.C. area--

Erin: Yes.

Alex: --or do you travel throughout the country?

Erin: Mostly in the D.C., Maryland, Virginia area.

Alex: Good way to meet other people and socialize.

Erin: It really is, and it's a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INVERTEBRATES $400: Served freeze-dried, the Tubifex type of these are a tasty treat for aquarium fish
(Todd: What are brine shrimp?)

"B" & "B" $1000: This British phrase about being over-safe contains 2 articles of clothing--remember the British word for suspenders

CLOTHES $1000: This brand of footed pajamas sounds like it has a medical degree

I'M RETIRED $800: Replaced by Elena Kagan in 2010, he's the last Supreme Court justice to retire

STATE LANDMARKS $1000: Check out its Shoshone Falls

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Erin: $6,000
Todd: $5,200
Michelle: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore »

What a game!

Highlights for me include: "Technical difficulties" and "please stand by"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Belt and braces was a huge difficulty jump in B&B in my opinion.

No hope in the athletic category, nor for getting Mandela at $200. I thought he was way way earlier.

3/5 in Animated Songs. Blanked on "Sugar, Sugar", NHO Corpse Bride. Can we please have "Try Everything" in the next one of those categories?

"Well, 'nada' means 'very little', but that doesn't rhyme!" Derp.

"Hmm, what's to the north? Dakotas? Nope. Montana? Nope. Wisconsin, Michigan, skip a few... Maine... Augusta. Yay."
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Todd on his win. I had 46 correct responses including these triple stumpers: worms, John Paul Stevens, Idaho, squat, and sea dogs. I also got the missed DD of null and void, and I got FJ.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

Instaget FJ for me, but I was left thinking about it just to make sure the obvious (to me) answer was correct.

The board was really kind to me today. 46R, 3W; Got Idaho, sea dogs, and squat. Only 1/3 on DD's, though. NHO Dr. Denton.

That was a super kind first-round Daily Double for the New Orleans resident. ;)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

This was an FJ category that rewards brainstorming during the commercial break.

During that break, I thought to myself, "What are some of the state capitals I always forget? Augusta, Maine... Frankfort, Kentucky... I think Tennessee is Nashville and not Memphis... Columbia is South Carolina and Charleston is West Virginia, I think..."

I amused myself further by trying to precall the clue. I thought maybe the correct response would be Juneau, Alaska. I think I remember reading somewhere that it's the only state capital that borders another country. However, I don't know if that by itself would be a great FJ -- maybe it's a little too "you either know it or you don't". They could maybe mention the latitude, but then that might make it too easy. Perhaps something like "this state capital is not accessible by road from the rest of the state"?

Anyway, it helped that I had thought about both Alaska and Maine during the commercial break. I know Anchorage is not the capital of Alaska, and I know the capital of Maine starts with A. I tried to run through the capitals of other northern states: Olympia, Boise, Helena, Bismarck, St. Paul... None of those start with A. I then tried to think of the other A capitals. I actually managed to get all of them during the 30 seconds, but even if I hadn't, I was reasonably confident Maine would probably be correct, even though I don't know where exactly Augusta is located within Maine, and I have no idea how far north it is relative to, say, the capital of Vermont (which doesn't start with A).

Part of me felt like they'd probably just go with the one on the end, you know? They probably don't actually expect us to know whether the capital of Montana is further north than the capital of North Dakota, for example.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Was that Michelle's twin playing at the beginning? What a difference in her performance from the beginning to the end. Too bad for her Todd benefited from the DDs.

I had Augusta and wasn't sure about it as I couldn't name all A capitals.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

skullturf wrote:I amused myself further by trying to precall the clue. I thought maybe the correct response would be Juneau, Alaska. I think I remember reading somewhere that it's the only state capital that borders another country. However, I don't know if that by itself would be a great FJ -- maybe it's a little too "you either know it or you don't". They could maybe mention the latitude, but then that might make it too easy. Perhaps something like "this state capital is not accessible by road from the rest of the state"?
I tried to precall Santa Fe as the capital with the highest elevation, which was the most geographical thing I could think of during the break. Alas, we got the usual wordplay clue with a bare minimum of geography mixed in.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I was worried that Pirates wouldn't be completed. Easy money on sea dogs.
Almost instaget FJ, after figuring that Alaska's capital didn't fit.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ, spent 29s recalling the other four, got Albany, Atlanta and Austin clamming on the last, right in my backyard >Annapolis! DOH! 48R tonite.

Great game, strong play with a race to the finish; our new champ came to play and finished decisively!

LT: Shoshone Falls> ID (Snake River; I'm guessing this is going to be new recurring material- watch for it again!); Botticelli : La Primavera; "Squat"; Sea Dogs; get on MDD "Null & Void".
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Hmm, Atlanta, Albany, Augusta, Austin...err...oh come on...eh **** it, it's not north of Augusta". Not instaget, or pretty, but a get is a get. Annapolis came to me after the music. "Way up north"? OK then.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went straight to the top and my east coast bias gave me Maine.

Alex is shocked a player makes a logical wager from second place......DRINK!!!!!!

Monarch butterfly at the bottom with "kingly" in the clue?
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

"B" & "B" $800
A period of prosperity followed by a downturn

Without giving any consideration, I said "bull and bear". If only that were an actual phrase and not just two terms describing economic fortunes.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

spell4yr wrote:"B" & "B" $800

Without giving any consideration, I said "bull and bear". If only that were an actual phrase and not just two terms describing economic fortunes.
I confess that I also blurted that out at the TV. I knew it didn't "feel" right, but that's what came to me. (Jeopardy! is a game of quick responses sometimes.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Only 13 posts in this thread at this time of night? Very strange. I feel like I'm sitting here oblivious to an alien invasion or something like that to put J! lower on the priority list.

Another good game to indicate that day's taping pool was very strong. Todd made the DDs work in his favor to take the game. If Erin solves the null & void DD then she has 17K for the FJ! round and win #2.

I spent the break running states in groups to be ready for a fast search of the map. I've known all 50 state capitals themselves since 5th grade, so that kind of warm up was not necessary. In trying to think about what the clue might ask I was very worried about some kind of mileage thing like these 2 states capitals are only this many miles apart.

On a blank U.S. map I could put a pin reasonably close to Sacramento and Honolulu. From there my hit % would go way down.

I also considered the clue would be directional-most, so I already had Augusta on the short list before seeing the clue.

That made getting it right an instaget, but for the other 29 seconds (like many others here) I attempted to recall the other 4 "A" cities. I had Austin, Annapolis and....embarrassment that I blanked on the other two when time was up. Before Alex went to the first response I had Atlanta. Albany escaped me.

The other Augusta in Georgia will be in the news a lot next week. As well as Rory, Jason, Jordan, Phil and whether he plays or not some guy named Eldrick.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Only 13 posts in this thread at this time of night? Very strange. I feel like I'm sitting here oblivious to an alien invasion or something like that to put J! lower on the priority list.
There is no alien invasion. Everything is fine. YOur planet is not being taken over. Please return to your regular activities.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

spell4yr wrote:"B" & "B" $800

I wouldn't complain if they decided to accept that. I wouldn't complain if they didn't.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:.."Well, 'nada' means 'very little', but that doesn't rhyme!" Derp....
Can I get a judges' ruling on my response of "poco", please?
OCSam