Tuesday, March 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

harrumph wrote:What kind of solve is this hypothetical FJ?

CATEGORY: State Capitals

CLUE: Alphabetically, this state capital comes last.
Oof...I was off by one, but well within time. -If- I remembered the right answer existed, I would've had it. I -am- able to recite the alphabet backwards nigh instantaneously, though, which was a massive help.

Thought process spoiled, actual answer isn't but it's close.
Spoiler
ZYXWVUT T. Tallahassee, no, I know there's something after it. Topeka. Tpqrstu...Topeka it is. (It's actually not Topeka)
'Sugar, Sugar' is my go-to retort that, no, it's not that today's music sucks, the Billboard 100 has always been full of pop crap. (#2 that year was Cash's A Boy Named Sue. And there's a whole slew of more memorable songs further down (and not even on) the list but I haven't had to use it in a while so I don't remember any of them other than Proud Mary.)

Final, instant. Was able to come up with all five before time ran out too which is rare for me; usually I always forget one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote:

Oof...I was off by one, but well within time. -If- I remembered the right answer existed, I would've had it. I -am- able to recite the alphabet backwards nigh instantaneously, though, which was a massive help.

Spoiler
ZYXWVUT T. Tallahassee, no, I know there's something after it. Topeka. Tpqrstu...Topeka it is. (It's actually not Topeka)
'Sugar, Sugar' is my go-to retort that, no, it's not that today's music sucks, the Billboard 100 has always been full of pop crap. (#2 that year was Cash's A Boy Named Sue. And there's a whole slew of more memorable songs further down (and not even on) the list but I haven't had to use it in a while so I don't remember any of them other than Proud Mary.)

Final, instant. Was able to come up with all five before time ran out too which is rare for me; usually I always forget one.
Yeah, I managed to pull all but Austin before Think Music ended. Speaking of which, no chance getting harrumph's question in 30 sec. 5 min, maybe.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Volante wrote:

Spoiler
How 'bout that.

I probably should have posted my guess instead of just assuming I was probably wrong. That's usually a fair assumption when it comes to state capitals, but I did get this FJ, so there are at least two I know. I always groan when they come up as the FJ category, and looking at the archive, this is probably the first one I got right since 2012, if not earlier (it depends on which images were used -- without seeing them, I can't guess whether I got it).

I'd definitely get the Georgia O'Keeffe one in this game now, but I don't know if I knew it in 2011.

And knowing me, I probably said Helena back in 2010, thinking Alaska was too obvious, and Glacier National Park exists. But maybe I got it right.

I'm not even sure I got this Teen Tournament one from 2009 right.

This one from 2008 is the most recent one I can be reasonably sure I got right. And now I've learned that my groans are completely justified.

I also found, while looking for these FJs...
skullturf wrote:I thought maybe the correct response would be Juneau, Alaska. I think I remember reading somewhere that it's the only state capital that borders another country. However, I don't know if that by itself would be a great FJ -- maybe it's a little too "you either know it or you don't".
... this one.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

Yeah. I definitely wouldn't have gotten the O'Keeffe Final Jeopardy dinghammer mentioned before I watched Breaking Bad.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dinghammer wrote: How 'bout that.

I probably should have posted my guess instead of just assuming I was probably wrong. That's usually a fair assumption when it comes to state capitals, but I did get this FJ, so there are at least two I know. I always groan when they come up as the FJ category, and looking at the archive, this is probably the first one I got right since 2012, if not earlier (it depends on which images were used -- without seeing them, I can't guess whether I got it).
It was more or less this one:
It all hinged on whether you recognized the animal in the center as a hart. I remember missing it and being surprised it was a triple get.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dinghammer wrote: How 'bout that.

It was more or less this one:
It all hinged on whether you recognized the animal in the center as a hart. I remember missing it and being surprised it was a triple get.
Thanks. Grapevines also feature prominently on the CT flag, so there's another TOM.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dinghammer wrote:Thanks. Grapevines also feature prominently on the CT flag, so there's another TOM.
Or in my case, you fluff it because you somehow forget that Connecticut exists. I have a bad habit of doing that.