Wednesday, April 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mrparadise »

TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in Random Science was not expected by me. Couldn't quite get "diffusion" to my mouth in time.

Miscellany for $200 was so weirdly phrased that I couldn't figure out what they even wanted.

"E-T-C" kept tripping me up because I kept thinking the words had to either begin with E, or have "e-t-c" consecutively. Have I mentioned that word categories are really stomping me lately? What's going on?

I have seen Alien. I have enjoyed Alien (the sequel was better). I did not get the Alien clue.

The aardvark/anteater clue was BS. Those are two distinct animals, and I really doubt that either is a synecdoche of the other.

Apparently Central America is a blind spot for all of us (not the first time that's happened to me). Panama City was the only one of those capitals that I've ever even heard of.

While it is a limited pool of only 7 possible answers (or more ideally 6, because pronunciation issues being what they are, I doubt they'd ask for Tegucigalpa even in a TOC), I would say that learning the capitals of 7 tiny little countries is a much lower priority than those of the larger countries (e.g., Canberra, Ottawa, Brasília), or even unique cases worth memorizing such as La Paz/Sucre in Bolivia or Pretoria/Bloemfontein/Cape Town in South Africa. IMO, the Central American ones just aren't that prominent.

No guess on FJ! I was stymied as to what the TOM could even be. "Vicious Circle" was completely meaningless to me. Even "Round table" after the fact didn't get me there because, while I've come across "Algonquin round table" a few times, I didn't grok that "Algonquin" was a hotel in that context.
Good insight on the slim chance they would ask for Tegucigalpa, given the odds of butchering the pronunciation. Not very often do we get to precall a DD with a fair degree of certainty.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

mujason wrote:The Algonquin Round Table was the subject of Final Jeopardy in Joon Pahk's TOC quarterfinal.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3753
With one of the best responses ever by Kunzen.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

mrparadise wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in Random Science was not expected by me. Couldn't quite get "diffusion" to my mouth in time.

Miscellany for $200 was so weirdly phrased that I couldn't figure out what they even wanted.

"E-T-C" kept tripping me up because I kept thinking the words had to either begin with E, or have "e-t-c" consecutively. Have I mentioned that word categories are really stomping me lately? What's going on?

I have seen Alien. I have enjoyed Alien (the sequel was better). I did not get the Alien clue.

The aardvark/anteater clue was BS. Those are two distinct animals, and I really doubt that either is a synecdoche of the other.

Apparently Central America is a blind spot for all of us (not the first time that's happened to me). Panama City was the only one of those capitals that I've ever even heard of.

While it is a limited pool of only 7 possible answers (or more ideally 6, because pronunciation issues being what they are, I doubt they'd ask for Tegucigalpa even in a TOC), I would say that learning the capitals of 7 tiny little countries is a much lower priority than those of the larger countries (e.g., Canberra, Ottawa, Brasília), or even unique cases worth memorizing such as La Paz/Sucre in Bolivia or Pretoria/Bloemfontein/Cape Town in South Africa. IMO, the Central American ones just aren't that prominent.

No guess on FJ! I was stymied as to what the TOM could even be. "Vicious Circle" was completely meaningless to me. Even "Round table" after the fact didn't get me there because, while I've come across "Algonquin round table" a few times, I didn't grok that "Algonquin" was a hotel in that context.
Good insight on the slim chance they would ask for Tegucigalpa, given the odds of butchering the pronunciation. Not very often do we get to precall a DD with a fair degree of certainty.
Well, it turns out they have asked for Tegus... at least five times in the past (most recently this past November), and our astute contestants nailed it every time (though I'd still like to hear their pronunciation).
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

As noted last week, I think, the NYT Clue of the Day from jeopardy.com is usually the FJ for that day, unless there is some kind of photograph or music involved, Usually, but not today. They didn't change it to a DD or other clue as they have in the past. And in fact, it didn't matter at all. I thought it was a pretty easy get, just based on the clue without the picture, so I was pretty surprised no one got it on stage. Maybe the picture distracted them.

But as everyone else has said here, just wow about not getting even one of those capital clues.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

I precalled Waldorf-Astoria, Ambassador, Stanley, and Hotel Del Coronado. I wasn''t sure about that picture, but got FJ with "vicious circle" hint. And :o on the 0-fer in Central American capitals.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

I used to work in a building that backed the Algonquin. Looked at it from my office window everyday for three tears. Even so, the New Yorker magazine and the vicious circle gave enough to not think Vegas.
Gemini Bowie
Contributor

Post by Gemini Bowie »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I was shocked that nobody answered "Alien."

FYI - Alien is the AFI #6 Thriller film and the alien is the AFI #14 Villain.

The sequel was not better! :D
Last edited by Gemini Bowie on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game should have opened with Alex giving a message.

Warning: The following game may cause rage to moviegoers, card players, game show lovers, geography buffs and those who have tried to get on the show with no success.

Message to the contestant coordinators and writers - The contestants and clues were not the problem tonight. What was missing was a trivia shark or someone who was alive when Nixon was in office.

By the time of the FJ! round it was easy to predict a variety of responses for the clue not that I could have guessed those exact guesses. I was done before the picture popped up as finally I've seen enough J! games to make up for some other previous misses covering the Dorothy Parker area.

Carter still has not played a DD. Perhaps tomorrow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Budphrey wrote:Suggestion for a question in the weekly poll: I would have won Wednesday's game based on running the Central American capitals category and getting Final Jeopardy!.
You got it and we will have company checking that box.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Whatever total I had amassed by the time I cruised unchallenged down Central America, it would have doubled on the DD. The painting itself was unnecessary on FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mrparadise wrote: Well, it turns out they have asked for Tegus... at least five times in the past (most recently this past November), and our astute contestants nailed it every time (though I'd still like to hear their pronunciation).
Teh-goo-see-gal-pah
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote:]
Teh-goo-see-gal-pah
That's what I'd have said, stressing GOO and GAL . Pretty straightforward, I think.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Golf

Post by Golf »

doihavetoreally wrote:Wow for capital category.
Wow on FJ wagers.
Huh? Two of the three wagers were perfect.
pauerpoint wrote:Hi everybody, first post.

I was in the audience waiting to play that day (my game airs later this week), and it was definitely frustrating to see them tank the capitals category while thinking "if only I were up there." The contestant-to-be sitting next to me got FJ right away, and I eventually figured it out when I recognized Dorothy Parker in the painting. Carter told us over lunch that he wagered low because he had no confidence in the category, and it worked out for him.
Carter didn't wager low, he wagered correctly win or lose. Doesn't matter if it worked out for him or not from a strategic perspective.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I doubt they'd ask for Tegucigalpa even in a TOC
Heh. Well, having answered Tegucigalpa correctly in the TOC, I can tell you that you're wrong there :D
davey

Post by davey »

What's hard about pronouncing Tegucigalpa? No silent letters, no odd combinations...

Still, I'm more disappointed that no one got You Bet Your Life than those boring capitals...I didn't get them all myself, to be honest (but I definitely would have won the game!)

The movie, to be precise as J! requires, is Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle.
Last edited by davey on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The answer on J6 in the CA category was interesting. Awful game. I ran the CA capitols category & FJ was an Instaget.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I knew exactly what the painting was depicting, but then blanked on the hotel's name. I came up with Iroquois. At least I was on the right track. :)
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I knew exactly what the painting was depicting, but then blanked on the hotel's name. I came up with Iroquois. At least I was on the right track. :)
Right side of the street too. The Iroquois Hotel is just a few doors down from the Algonquin...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Suggestion for a question in the weekly poll: I would have won Wednesday's game based on running the Central American capitals category and getting Final Jeopardy!.
You got it and we will have company checking that box.
Heck, it could be done with just two clues of sufficient value plus a double-up FJ! I was too slow on the first three but got the last two.
OCSam
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

In the painting, I'm thinking that Harpo is in the middle at the top, next to the guy in the mustache.