Friday, April 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7285, 2016-04-22

Andrew Pau game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Michael Koh, a supervisory analyst from Irvine, California
Amy Hart, a latent print examiner originally from Chicago, Illinois
Andrew Pau, an assistant professor from Amherst, Ohio (whose 5-day cash winnings total $136,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Andrew has been the champion every day this week on Jeopardy! Will he also be the returning champion on Monday of next week? Amy or Michael could replace him, or not. We'll start finding out right now. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. We have these categories for the three of you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHILDREN'S BOOK TITLES (4/5)
OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDICATIONS (5/5)
CLASSICAL MUSIC (5/5)
I GOT A 5-LETTER WORD FOR YA (5/5)
YOUR FACE IS ON THE MONEY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FATHERLY TV (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 12 R, 0 W
Andrew: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Amy: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michael: $3,600
Andrew: $2,400
Amy: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Michael Koh is a supervisory analyst from Irvine, California, who went to Japan as a student in the '80s.

Michael: That's correct.

Alex: You liked it so much you decided to stay a while.

Michael: Uh, about 15 years.

Alex: Studying? Working?

Michael: Uh, started studying and then, uh, transitioned over to working.

Alex: What field were you involved in?

Michael: Uh, I was in the financial field.

Alex: Ah. So you must've done all right, then you came home. Okay.

Alex: Amy Hart is a latent print examiner. I don't wanna talk about that. I wanna talk about your daughter and your husband, because your daughter came up with a good plan for all of the money that she hopes you will win on Jeopardy!

Amy: Well, good for her, anyway.

Alex: Yeah.

Amy: She decided--her name is Sela, and she is 9, and she decided that we should split the money. Initially, she wanted to do a 3-way split, but she was talked down to I get to keep half and then she and my husband would split the rest.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Ganging up on you, huh?

Amy: Indeed.

Alex: [Chuckles] All righty.

Alex: Andrew Pau is our champion. He is a music professor at Oberlin College in Ohio. And he also performed once some musical numbers in Greece.

Andrew: Oh, this was on a trip that my parents, who I'd like to give shout-out to--they've been in the audience--uh, took my sister and I to Greece one year. And, uh, we went to a belly dance show, and this performer kind of waved me up on stage and she started showing me--pulled up my shirt and then started having me... do some moves. I just...

[Laughter]

Andrew: I just followed her instructions.

Alex: Yeah? And? And?

Andrew: And...

Alex: And?

Andrew: Forever embarrassed, and I'm sure my mom took plenty of pictures.

[Laughter]

Andrew: And I don't know where they are. I might--I might find them one day.

Alex: [Laughs] Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Andrew had $3,600, Amy had $2,200, and Michael was at $4,400. Andrew wagered $1,400.

YOUR FACE IS ON THE MONEY $1000: Mexico's 500-peso note features these 2 painters, husband & wife

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHILDREN'S BOOK TITLES $800: This food pair "for Frances"

FATHERLY TV $1000: Corey Stoll plays Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, raising his son & fighting a vampire plague on this FX show

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michael: $7,200
Andrew: $6,000
Amy: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY BRITS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In May 1810 during one of his more famous exploits, he employed the breaststroke

Andrew Pau: 17200+16801=34001 (6x = $170,202)
Amy Hart: 9400-9150=250
Michael Koh: 17000+3000=20000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lord Byron (Amy - Cook)
Daily Doubles
Andrew: 3600+1400
Michael: 9200+3000
Amy: 6200+2000

Coryats
Andrew: 16800
Amy: 9000
Michael: 16000

Combined: 41,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, April 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Best I could come up with was Gertrude Ederle's great grandfather.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Andrew. I was holding my breath during that Era of Good Feelings TS, since I was sure someone would get it and it would determine the lead going into FJ.

Sometimes, the simplest bits of trivia completely slip my mind, and I'm left slapping my forehead after the reveal. I totally forgot this tidbit, but thankfully ended up WAGging Byron as my default 'early 19th c. + British' answer, and THEN it clicked. Yikes (almost).

None of them watch The Strain. After last season I'm not sure why I ever did.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Andrew on his sixth win, another very impressive performance! I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Jacob, The Color Purple, African Methodist Episcopal, and Era of Good Feelings. I also got FJ.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I guessed Matthew Webb for FJ! I thought 1810 might be too early (a lot too early, it turns out), but Lord Byron never came to mind.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Sort of surprised such good players didn't get AME or Era of Good Feelings, but maybe they didn't want to risk a wrong answer at that point in the game?

Vaguely remembered that Byron was famous for swimming somewhere, so I went with it after drawing a blank on trying to come up with a famous explorer.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Liked the FJ.... completely was thinking of famous swimmer and ended up with nothing.

I'll say it again, the last Friday game has reaped huge benefits for Andrew. He is clearly distinguish himself in the current TOC field. Bravo.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

The total number of letters in the last names of all three contestants was just 10 (Koh, Hart, Pau). I wonder if that's a record.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I got FJ correct just by thinking, okay, who was off-the-wall famous and kind of looney in this time frame for the UK?

Best answer I could come up with was Lord Byron.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

Sometimes.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

Andrew - another impressive win, against good competition. Congratulations on your sixth win. I've really enjoyed all your games and am rooting for you now and in the TOC!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

BADuBois wrote:I got FJ correct just by thinking, okay, who was off-the-wall famous and kind of looney in this time frame for the UK?

Best answer I could come up with was Lord Byron.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

Sometimes.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

skullturf wrote:The total number of letters in the last names of all three contestants was just 10 (Koh, Hart, Pau). I wonder if that's a record.
It's a record among Archived games, unless you count this 1998 Celeb game with Jack Ford, Jeri Ryan, and Sinbad.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Thank you all, this one was obviously as close as it could get. It was my sixth game in a little over 24 hours and my brain was just about running on fumes. Michael was beating me to the buzzer most of the way, and I was totally prepared to go home. Pleasantly surprised and relieved that I still won. Glad I managed to reverse myself from writing down Shelley on FJ ("He drowned!" "But he wasn't swimming the Hellespont!").

Michael's late miss and my rebound get on Rio de la Plat(a) was obviously what made the difference. He could have reversed or corrected himself right away because there was actually a long pause before they ruled against him and you can see that he turned towards the judges' table, but for some reason he didn't change his answer. There was also a very long pause before FJ while the judges deliberated some more, presumably over whether to reverse the neg. If they had reversed, I obviously would have lost the game. I believe that the river is also called the River Plate in English, but presumably the word "Rio" in the clue made Michael's response incorrect.

Having followed the analyses of wagering and gameplay on here, I find myself cringing now about how small many of my DD wagers were and how conservatively I played. Golf, I promise to try and be more bold in the ToC! On the other hand, the way I played kind of worked for me.
Spoiler
Until it didn't.
Last edited by pauerpoint on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Vowela wrote:I guessed Matthew Webb for FJ! I thought 1810 might be too early (a lot too early, it turns out), but Lord Byron never came to mind.
Webb was who I was trying to think of but could not pull his name. But I was pretty sure he made his swim much later than that. I went with Lord Nelson just to have someone.

Congrats on #6, Andrew!!!! Thanks for sharing your story here.

I got both Good Feelings and the AME Church, being a UMC helped me on that last one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

skullturf wrote:The total number of letters in the last names of all three contestants was just 10 (Koh, Hart, Pau). I wonder if that's a record.
So far I haven't found any trios who played together with fewer total letters, but Su Kim played a Lee and Ali in consecutive games, and Kathleen Lee did the same with a Levy (although that might have just been the latter portion of a two-part last name) and Wu. So close!

edit: Shortest combination of a ToC's finalists' last names is 15, with 1991's Scott, Robin, and Pryor.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I watch The Strain, so my kind of TS clue although that show in FATHERLY TV is kind of strange.
Bamaman wrote: I went with Lord Nelson just to have someone.
I guess I received that honorary citizenship for the state as that was my guess as well. Even with Alex mentioning swimming the Hellespont I still did not know it, so another for the miss column in the Shelley, Keats, Byron area. It did hit me after the show that Lord Nelson died in 1805 and not 1815 like I thinking. I knew it was a 5 and there's too much associated with 1815.

Andrew wins, but most of his games have been interesting going into the FJ! round with only one runaway in six tries. It's the second Friday in a row when Andrew has eked out a victory while leaving the player at podium #3 stuck with multiple haunting points to revisit from their one and only game.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

It looks like I was the only one so far who went the explorer route. I said David Livingstone just to have something. I consider myself knowledgeable in the subject of poets, but Lord Byron is one of those poets who I never seem to know enough about.

Congrats on the run and for breaking the droughts, Andrew! Keep it up!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I've never heard anything like that about Byron, so I had no chance on FJ and don't even have to feel bad about it. I guessed George III, thinking he was crazy, so maybe he swam somewhere weird.

I got Good Feelings and The S-Train.