Tuesday, April 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Linear Gnome »

grapesmoker wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I had avoided JBoard until I had a chance to watch Monday's and Tuesday's episodes last night, so I had no idea of the hype about Jerry. The main things I noticed while watching were forgetting the "of the" category twice and missing a fairly easy FJ! I agree with a previous poster that he would have done better if he had spent more time becoming fluent in J! conventions (not only category requirements, but expected difficulty at the various dollar levels and the way hints are embedded in clues).
I spent about a month preparing, which coincidentally was all the time I had, since I was notified in February of a tape date in March. I'm reasonably familiar with the Jeopardy conventions, but I've played quizbowl for 15 years (20 if you count high school) and you don't shake off 15 years of training in a few weeks. For better or for worse (worse, obviously) my playing style and general reflexes were formed by the thing I spent 15 years on, not the thing I spent 4 weeks on. So it goes.
That makes sense. My comment was not intended to be a value judgment on whether you "should" have spent more time watching J!, but an observation that, all other things (such as trivia knowledge and buzzer timing) being equal, a lifetime J! watcher has an advantage over an occasional/non-J! watcher. It's even conceivable that knowledge too deep, combined with relatively less exposure to J!, could produce responses that are too obscure for the J! writers.
grapesmoker
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by grapesmoker »

Linear Gnome wrote:That makes sense. My comment was not intended to be a value judgment on whether you "should" have spent more time watching J!, but an observation that, all other things (such as trivia knowledge and buzzer timing) being equal, a lifetime J! watcher has an advantage over an occasional/non-J! watcher. It's even conceivable that knowledge too deep, combined with relatively less exposure to J!, could produce responses that are too obscure for the J! writers.
Sure, understood. I'm just saying that there are certain habits that quizbowl breeds that are hard to expunge; when preparing I actually consciously worked on teaching myself to do things like not buzz if I wasn't sure, but as you could see, it didn't quite work.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I honestly didn't know that Indiana has dunes.
There are dunes along much of the southern and eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Have you ever been to Sleeping Bear Dunes west of Traverse City? If not, you should go sometime. Very cool.
And the lakeshore communities of Saugutuck, Douglas, Glen and South Haven (to name but a few) are built atop the sand dunes on the E shore of Lake Michigan.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I said Colorado since Great Sand Dunes National Park is in Colorado and the Platte River is, too. That clue was certainly no gimme.
I also went with Colorado.
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I said Colorado since Great Sand Dunes National Park is in Colorado and the Platte River is, too. That clue was certainly no gimme.
It was for some people :D

Go Big Red! (no, not Cornell)
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I don't feel like Jerry did all that well with the buzzer. Certainly not clearly better than the other two players.
QB buzzing is a completely different ballgame from J! buzzing, which is probably what did Jerry in as well.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Easy FJ, and I completely blanked on it. Came up with The Red Badge of Courage, which I knew was written in the right time frame, turns out is was 1895.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Greg Vinton wrote:

This clue certainly caused me to learn a few facts. These dunes are also known as the Sandhills, hence the name of the Sandhill Crane.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Germinal? Surely there is a William Dean Howells title that made as much sense...
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Just have to mention re the "of the" movie category, I figured Daniel Day Lewis= possibly Last of the Mohicans but AT's lame unnecessary imitation threw me way off base.
Yeah I can just see Buzzy hanging from a clock.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

flemmingfan wrote:Just have to mention re the "of the" movie category, I figured Daniel Day Lewis= possibly Last of the Mohicans but AT's lame unnecessary imitation threw me way off base.
Unnecessary because it was so bad. Day Lewis's emphasis on the word "will" in "I will find you!" is what made the quote memorable, but Alex hammered the "find" instead. It was as if he'd read the line from Taxi Driver as, "You talkin' to me?"

Rex
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Rex Kramer wrote:
flemmingfan wrote:Just have to mention re the "of the" movie category, I figured Daniel Day Lewis= possibly Last of the Mohicans but AT's lame unnecessary imitation threw me way off base.
Unnecessary because it was so bad. Day Lewis's emphasis on the word "will" in "I will find you!" is what made the quote memorable, but Alex hammered the "find" instead. It was as if he'd read the line from Taxi Driver as, "You talkin' to me?"

Rex
This line is my standard line upon parting with my wife. It never feels wrong. Unlike Alex, I know how to deliver it.
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Greg Vinton wrote:

This clue certainly caused me to learn a few facts. These dunes are also known as the Sandhills, hence the name of the Sandhill Crane.
You don't have to tell me, I basically live in the Sandhills. :D

They aren't shifting sand dunes like the Sahara, for the most part they are grass covered and stabilized; good for grazing cattle and not much else. I've always wondered why the cranes got that name. They roost in the Platte River and pick through the cornfields in the Platte valley on their spring migration, but they never really spend time in what would be geologically considered the Sandhills. I think they should be called Platte River Cranes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Bill Maher at $400?
No clue. Not sure I got any of those books (although I would have guessed Carlin if it were a DD).
I only got Steve Martin and that's only because of 'Shopgirl'
dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:In the middle of this game I figured out Buzzy's look: Harold Lloyd.
Yes! Thank you!
Best I had was Beaker, this is better.
I was thinking Egon Spengler with shorter hair...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
brick

Post by brick »

bomtr wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
This line is my standard line upon parting with my wife. It never feels wrong. Unlike Alex, I know how to deliver it.
Like, when you're leaving for work in the morning? All the time?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jerry's TDD bet was pure hubris. If he's right, he still doesn't have a lock. If he's wrong, he's finished.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

floridagator wrote:Jerry's TDD bet was pure hubris. If he's right, he still doesn't have a lock. If he's wrong, he's finished.
Part of me is a little disappointed that (as far as I know) you've only accused me of hubris once.

Anyway, in this case I'd say that the 7 negs are a better example of hubris.