Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7289, 2016-04-28

Buzzy Cohen game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Heather Burnett, an accountant from Orlando, Florida
Ben Rothenberg, a sports writer from Washington, D.C.
Buzzy Cohen, a music executive from Los Angeles, California (whose 3-day cash winnings total $58,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny.

[Alex mimics the "shoulder brush-off" action Buzzy did during his introduction, provoking laughter from the audience.]

Alex: I think, uh, Buzzy will understand if I say that in his three victories so far, there were moments when he was feeling very, very insecure.

[Buzzy chuckles.]

Alex: A savvy wager in Final Jeopardy! paid off, even when he didn't come up with the correct response in Final. Ben and Heather are nodding in agreement, saying, "Yeah. We know. We can take him."

[Buzzy laughs.]

Alex: Well, now it's time to prove it. Let's go to work, guys. Here we go. Here are the categories for you in the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BROADWAY (4/5)
NASA SAYS (5/5)
STATELY MUSEUMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LAST LINK IN THE DRINK (4/5)
FAMILIAR PHRASES (3/4)
PEOPLES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Heather: 7 R, 0 W
Buzzy: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Buzzy had $1,400, Ben had $3,400, and Heather had nothing in the bank. Ben wagered $3,000.

STATELY MUSEUMS $600: Atomic Testing Museum &
Burlesque Hall of Fame
(Ben: Uh, what is... uh, Chic--uh, Illinois?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Buzzy: $2,400
Ben: $1,600
Heather: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Heather Burnett is an accountant from Florida who has become an expert at joke telling. How did that happen?

Heather: Well, my nephews, Nicholas and Bryce, are just coming to the age when they understand jokes, and they like to tell me that Cinderella could never be on the basketball team because she always ran away from the ball. [Laughs]

[Laughter]

Heather: Now my--my niece Emily has another favorite--how do you turn a soup into gold?

Alex: How?

Heather: You add 24 karats. [Laughs]

[Laughter]

Alex: There is a stand-up career just waiting for this lady.

Heather: Thank you. [Laughs] Thank you.

Alex: Good luck.

Alex: Ben Rothenberg, sports writer, who attended the Sochi Olympics--

Ben: Yep.

Alex: --and then afterwards, decided to go on a long walk with some friends. What happened?

Ben: Yeah, we--we had a day off and looked at the map and saw there was a small breakaway republic nearby.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Ben: And we figured, when there's a breakaway republic within walking distance, you should probably go.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Ben: So we went to customs, and they were very confused why we were there, why we wanted to see it. You know, "Just look around just to say we did it" don't really translate in their limited English. So eventually, my friend said, "Oh, maybe we'll just have a drink." And the customs guy said, "Drink! Ah, ha ha!" And then he let us in.

[Laughter]

Ben: It was all fine.

Alex: The universal language.

Ben: Exactly.

Alex: Yes, indeed.

Alex: All right, Buzzy Cohen is our champion. We keep introducing him as a music executive. What exactly do you do in the music world?

Buzzy: So I run a small company that puts music in ads. So...

Alex: In ads?

Buzzy: Yep. So we find songs for commercials or write songs for commercials.

Alex: Now there was a marvelous--I can't even remember what the commercial was, but the Hawaiian singer who sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". And don't ask me to pronounce his name off the top of my head right now. But that's the kind of thing you would select.

Buzzy: Exactly, yeah. Yep. We just put a song in a commercial that went platinum as a result of that.

Alex: Holy smokes.

Buzzy: Yeah.

Alex: That's gonna make the original performer very, very happy.

Buzzy: They're very happy, yeah.

Alex: Absolutely.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PEOPLES $200: Bedouin society is patriarchal; families & extended families are led by men with this title
(Buzzy: What is father?)

LAST LINK IN THE DRINK $800: Grasshopper:
creme de cacao,
cream &
this 3-named item

BROADWAY $800: "Chain Gang" is a merry number in the 2010 musical about the horrific experience of these Alabama "Boys"
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Ben.)

FAMILIAR PHRASES $800: The first written record of "cleanliness is next to godliness" is in a 1778 sermon by this founder of Methodism

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Heather: $4,200
Buzzy: $3,600
Ben: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Spanish name of these islands is Islas de Sotavento; their French name is Iles Sous-le-Vent

Buzzy Cohen: 12200+8000=20200 (4x = $78,601)
Ben Rothenberg: 16000-8401=7599
Heather Burnett: 9400-0=9400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Leeward Islands (Ben - South Winds Islands) (Heather - Windward Islands)
Daily Doubles
Ben: 3400-3000
Buzzy: 7200+3000
Ben: 7800+3000

Coryats
Buzzy: 10000
Ben: 16800
Heather: 9400

Combined: 36,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skrambler »

With that final and the Paris category, knowing French would have helped quite a bit in this game. Would they have accepted "What is New Bridge" for the "Pont Neuf" response?
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Buzzy moves into TOC territory with his fourth win. Good win over good competition.

No chance for me on FJ.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Couldn't watch tonight, but I was pulling for Ben. He's extremely well-known in the tennis world!

Buzzy has been playing well, but TOC-esque? Eh. :shrug:
Last edited by corvo on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Last Link in the Drink was ridiculously YEKIOYD.

WLT "sheik" at $200?

Mental block on Seminole even though I just saw the word a few minutes ago.

I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?

Didn't know Canada or Japan had any involvement in space.

This board as a whole was not my cup of tea. I think I got 4 or 5 right in the entire game. It didn't help that a lot of the top boxes fell into the holes in my knowledge (what's in a cosmopolitan? Truman desegregating the military?).

Vent -> vento -> wind -> Windward? NEGBAIT. NHO the Leewards.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, at least all three were able to translate the names as having something to do with wind. I couldn't even get that far, and had no chance.

Another 4 day champ. I could get used to this.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I went with the vent=windward islands. I can see how to get to Leeward if I thought more about the "sous" part of the name, but I thought this was pretty difficult and a coin flip at best without some knowledge of the languages.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

All kinds of fun today. Where to start?

I wish my video editing skills were better. I'd make a supercut of Buzzy moments in old-timey black and white with a music hall piano bed and title cards that say things like, OH NO! I THINK I'M ABOUT TO LOSE. Today was a better escape from danger than this one:

Ben looks like a guy who played for the Dillon Panthers in Friday Night Lights. Loved his exchange with Alex about always being a step ahead after guessing Illinois one clue before it was correct. Also loved his story about visiting the breakaway republic and finally gaining admittance by saying they wanted to have a drink.

Heather was a hoot with the grade-school jokes. Brings back happy memories of a time when stuff like that was gut-bustingly hilarious. My laughter is more meta these days, but no less genuine.

Seems as though the players were rewarded a tiny bit for taking STATELY MUSEUMS out of order. They eliminated Maine as a possibility before they got to the clue with "Acadian" in it. True, the clue also mentioned "Delta" and "music" which should get you to the right place. But I got there faster by knowing that Maine was ruled out.

Tholins on Pluto? I thought that was something only Scientologists believed in. :D

On the atomic test museum clue, I waffled between New Mexico and Nevada. Then I realized the other museum--the Burlesque Hall of Fame--made Nevada much more likely.

Can't believe they got spotted "founder of Methodism" and couldn't cough up John Wesley. I was prepared to be disappointed on the lack of BMS for just "Who was Wesley?" But they couldn't even get that far.

They also deserved Alex's patronizing tone when they couldn't come up with "All Fools Day" after being spotted "all" and "April 1".

Alex missed a chance for another bit of trademark schtick. The clue about one of the men identified by Whittaker Chambers to HUAC was a stand and stare. He'll never have a better opportunity to say, "Boo, Hiss."

Treasure of the Sierra Madre was one of my precalls... yesterday, for the "OF THE" category.

"Month" was total negbait for the 13th sign of the Zodiac clue. And I fell for it. I don't mean "negbait" in a bad way, though. The clue was clean and above board. Anyone who guessed month on it deserved what they got.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Personally, I've been picturing Buzzy in a red-and-white striped shirt and stocking cap.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And I've always pronounced it lou-ward.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex calls someone making the proper bet from the lead "savvy".....DRINK!!!!!!
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

corvo wrote:Couldn't watch tonight, but I was pulling for Ben. He's extremely well-known in the tennis world!
I'm a tennis fan and know Ben's name, but somehow I didn't put two and two together when I met him at the J! studio that day. Don't know how I missed it - maybe he was just being circumspect?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:And I've always pronounced it lou-ward.
Either is fine.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:And I've always pronounced it lou-ward.
Either is fine.
But not eye-ther.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:I can see how to get to Leeward if I thought more about the "sous" part of the name, but I thought this was pretty difficult and a coin flip at best without some knowledge of the languages.
Even that doesn't help comletely. "Sous" is beneath or under, so I can still see how "beneath the wind" could take you to the Windward Isles (especially as the Windward are south of the Leeward).
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Leeward Islands are not the same thing as the Leeward Antilles... and giving the Dutch phrase would have made more sense while remain quite indecipherable...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,800
42 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Creme de Menthe, Nevada (DD), All Fools' Day, Alger Hiss

What has two thumbs, is a Mormon, and ran the booze category? This guy. No chance on FJ!, though. I am familiar with "windward" and "leeward" as terms but NHO those two island groups. Good job by Buzzy to pull it out in the end.
opusthepenguin wrote:Seems as though the players were rewarded a tiny bit for taking STATELY MUSEUMS out of order. They eliminated Maine as a possibility before they got to the clue with "Acadian" in it. True, the clue also mentioned "Delta" and "music" which should get you to the right place. But I got there faster by knowing that Maine was ruled out.

Tholins on Pluto? I thought that was something only Scientologists believed in. :D

Beat me to both of these.
opusthepenguin wrote:"Month" was total negbait for the 13th sign of the Zodiac clue. And I fell for it. I don't mean "negbait" in a bad way, though. The clue was clean and above board. Anyone who guessed month on it deserved what they got.
I fell for this as well, but I do have a complaint. What the heck does something about an erstwhile sign of the zodiac have to do with "NASA Says"?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I got FJ, but after seeing what Andy Saunders put on his blog, this seems like a poorly crafted FJ clue.