Alpaca Farm quizzes

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Alpaca Farm quizzes

Post by econgator »

MitchO wrote:I was serious. I'm guessing from all the replies that it's 13, but seriously ... I see a "B" there.
Sort of. This year is the 142nd running of the Derby, so ....
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

econgator wrote:
MitchO wrote:I was serious. I'm guessing from all the replies that it's 13, but seriously ... I see a "B" there.
Yes, I assumed that it was 13x, and the 3rd digit wasn't seen. I'm not THAT stupid, thank you.

Really, which is more likely to be known overall ... that the Derby is running for 142 years (and 13x was in the last decade), or that there's another leg of the Triple Crown called Belmont Stakes?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MitchO wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yes, I assumed that it was 13x, and the 3rd digit wasn't seen. I'm not THAT stupid, thank you.

Really, which is more likely to be known overall ... that the Derby is running for 142 years (and 13x was in the last decade), or that there's another leg of the Triple Crown called Belmont Stakes?
I think what you should have been asking yourself was what famous horse race has a particular drink famously associated with it. For the vast majority of people, I think that is a list of 1. Now it sucks for you that you actually happened to know one of the former Belmont drinks and that it happened to have a color in its name, and obviously in that case the "B" that you were seeing "confirmed" your wrong answer. It happens, we all go down wrong paths or take a clue in a question in a complete wrong direction. Sure I can see how that 13 could look like a B, but I don't think it was malicious by the writer.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I don't drink, yet I know that a mint julep is typically associated with horse racing, although I thought it was horse racing in general. I didn't know that different races had different associated drinks.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I don't drink, yet I know that a mint julep is typically associated with horse racing, although I thought it was horse racing in general. I didn't know that different races had different associated drinks.
It is just the Kentucky Derby that I know of that has a drink it is known for. It is bourbon based and Kentucky is a big bourbon producer.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jeff6286 wrote:I think what you should have been asking yourself was what famous horse race has a particular drink famously associated with it. For the vast majority of people, I think that is a list of 1. Now it sucks for you that you actually happened to know one of the former Belmont drinks and that it happened to have a color in its name, and obviously in that case the "B" that you were seeing "confirmed" your wrong answer. It happens, we all go down wrong paths or take a clue in a question in a complete wrong direction. Sure I can see how that 13 could look like a B, but I don't think it was malicious by the writer.
No malice intended. As I often say, sometimes knowing too much about something can hurt you, and I think that was the case here (as you explained, in theory).
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

My first authored quiz, "Particle Physics 2," is online. Take it if you dare.
Hoping for a third lap
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

After getting a decent amount of folks to check out my first ever authored Alpaca quiz (56 took part in "Not So Famous Seconds"), I hope I can get more to take a stab at my second effort, "Missing TV Siblings".

I'm VERY lenient when it comes to misspellings... if you're in the ballpark, I'm generous. ;)
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

goroshnik wrote:After getting a decent amount of folks to check out my first ever authored Alpaca quiz (56 took part in "Not So Famous Seconds"), I hope I can get more to take a stab at my second effort, "Missing TV Siblings".

I'm VERY lenient when it comes to misspellings... if you're in the ballpark, I'm generous. ;)
I took a look at this one, and really liked it, but was very disappointed in myself that I couldn't come up with enough actual names to feel comfortable submitting. TV shows are usually one of my strong points. Even though I recognize most of the shows, I really froze on a lot of the actual names (mostly older shows).
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Vermonter wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I think what you should have been asking yourself was what famous horse race has a particular drink famously associated with it. For the vast majority of people, I think that is a list of 1. Now it sucks for you that you actually happened to know one of the former Belmont drinks and that it happened to have a color in its name, and obviously in that case the "B" that you were seeing "confirmed" your wrong answer. It happens, we all go down wrong paths or take a clue in a question in a complete wrong direction. Sure I can see how that 13 could look like a B, but I don't think it was malicious by the writer.
No malice intended. As I often say, sometimes knowing too much about something can hurt you, and I think that was the case here (as you explained, in theory).
I understood/assumed you weren't trying to trick us with the "B" (since nobody else seems to see it); I was just a bit flustered with the tone of the initial replies, which felt a lot like "That's not a 'B', stupid."

It's all good in the hood.
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

MitchO wrote:
goroshnik wrote:After getting a decent amount of folks to check out my first ever authored Alpaca quiz (56 took part in "Not So Famous Seconds"), I hope I can get more to take a stab at my second effort, "Missing TV Siblings".

I took a look at this one, and really liked it, but was very disappointed in myself that I couldn't come up with enough actual names to feel comfortable submitting. TV shows are usually one of my strong points. Even though I recognize most of the shows, I really froze on a lot of the actual names (mostly older shows).
I wanted to make it a little tougher than it could have been, as I know most people who play at Alpaca are true quiz geeks like myself who might think regular Buzzfeed or Facebook quizzes are much too easy and a waste of time. The trick for me was to try and decide which names to omit while still giving people a reasonable shot.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

osxpert -

Thanks for the laugh on this grey dreary morning. :D
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

MitchO wrote:osxpert -

Thanks for the laugh on this grey dreary morning. :D
Your welcome - I'm just glad someone shares my sense of humor!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A quiz called Fun With Flags has been posted, in case anyone here is into flags.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/1360

I protest! "IM Pei" sounds more a theme related name than "P.P. Pablo Picasso"! :D
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

More mystery

Post by Vermonter »

Congrats to ZellwegerS for winning Mystery #6. Recap: http://tfw.gr/KWM6recap

Mystery #7 closes Sunday evening: http://tfw.gr/KWM7quiz
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
drdoug41
Valued Contributor

Post by drdoug41 »

Finally one I have a fighting chance at! Thanks to ConnorA for the baseball names one.
Similar minds think alike.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

drdoug41 wrote:Finally one I have a fighting chance at! Thanks to ConnorA for the baseball names one.
As much as I follow baseball, I had never heard of 5 of those guys.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
drdoug41 wrote:Finally one I have a fighting chance at! Thanks to ConnorA for the baseball names one.
Speaking of baseball, Scherzer just got 20 Ks.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:
Speaking of baseball, Scherzer just got 20 Ks.
I was looking at the wiki page for 20 K pitchers and for Scherzer's "references" is says "on TV right now". Pretty good -- if quickly inaccurate -- one.