Tuesday, May 10, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7297, 2016-05-10

2016 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 2.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Bill Knuth, a high school special education teacher from East Lansing, Michigan
Jill Gilbert, a middle school English teacher from Des Moines, Iowa
Chris Tempro, a ninth grade math teacher from Allentown, Pennsylvania

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the second of our semifinal games. Kaberi Chakrabarty was very, very good on yesterday's show, winning that game. And who of these three will get to join her as a finalist? Will it be Bill, Jill, or Chris? Let's start finding out right now. Here comes the Jeopardy! round for you. And here are the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NEW TESTAMENT (5/5)
2016 STAMPS (2/4)
"ON" THE MIDDLE (3/5) (Alex: Notice the quotation marks. The letters "O-N" will be exactly in the middle of each correct response.)
JOBS (5/5)
GATES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GIANTS OF TECHNOLOGY (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jill: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Chris: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Bill: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jill: $3,800
Chris: $2,200
Bill: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bill Knuth is a special education teacher from Michigan whose school is spearheading a country-wide intervention strategy. Tell me about that.

Bill: Yeah, actually it's our district is spearheading that. And what we do is we try and get to the kids at a very young age and intervene in reading--and starting out reading and also math, so that we can find any problems really early.

Alex: Okay, and you say you get them at a very young age. What are we talking about?

Bill: Um, kindergarten, first---I mean, it starts in early childhood, actually.

Alex: Okay.

Bill: And works its way.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jill Gilbert, middle school English teacher, whose family was involved in education also.

Jill: Yes. Both my parents are teachers. My mom's mother was a teacher, two of her sisters were also teachers, and my brother teaches AP government.

Alex: Chris Tempro is a ninth grade math teacher from Pennsylvania. Your school district is currently celebrating something very important?

Chris: Yes, our sesquicentennial, the 150th anniversary of the school district, but I have the great pleasure of working in the newest school in the district. It just opened this year. It's called Building 21, and it's a partnership with the community and business in Allentown, together with the school district, to try and---try some new reforms in the district.

Chris: Yeah.

Alex: Good for you.

Chris: Thank you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Chris had $2,800, Jill had $3,800, and Bill had a deficit with -$400. Chris wagered $1,500.

GATES $600: In 1989 black steel gates were installed at the entrance to this street to protect Margaret Thatcher from attack

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"ON" THE MIDDLE $800: Type of "reading" that alternates a line by a pastor & by the congregation

"ON" THE MIDDLE $1000: To scold in a mild manner
(Bill: What is remonstrate?)

GIANTS OF TECHNOLOGY $600: Bobby Murphy was a co-founder of this conversation app once known as Picaboo

GIANTS OF TECHNOLOGY $800: In 2014 co-founder John Zimmer shaved the pink mustaches off the grills of its rides when it began servicing New York City
(Chris: What is Uber?)
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

2016 STAMPS $600: Stand and deliver the name of this man, honored on a stamp and in film for teaching calculus to his inner-city students

2016 STAMPS $800: This natural wonder of the Pacific Northwest, a canyon through the Cascades, is depicted here on a 2016 stamp
[End-of-round signal sounds]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jill: $6,600
Chris: $4,300
Bill: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LAW FIRMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TO THE LIGHTHOUSE! (2/3)
TEACHER VOCABULARY (4/5)
DOCUMENTARIES (4/5)
LITERARY POTPOURRIE (5/5)
IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Jill: 8 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Bill: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jill snagged the next Daily Double on the 28th clue. Chris had $9,900, Jill had $13,400, and Bill was at $2,400. Jill wagered $2,000.

LAW FIRMS $2000: Vince Foster was once a partner at Rose Law Firm, which claims the title of oldest in this state
[End-of-round signal sounds]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TEACHER VOCABULARY $1600: Those spectacles & the tweed jacket make you look this adjective, meaning pertaining to a university teacher
(Jill: What is scholarly?)

TO THE LIGHTHOUSE! $400: One of the 7 ancient wonders, the Pharos of this Egyptian city stood on an island in its harbor
(Chris: What is Cheops?)
(Jill: What is Thebes?)

IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR $2000: It's the year "Smiling Bill" Taft won the White House
(Bill: What is 1910?)

DOCUMENTARIES $1200: Documentaries about people with this 6-letter disorder include "Loving Lampposts" & "Normal People Scare Me"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jill: $15,400
Chris: $9,900
Bill: $2,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART MODELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Jill: Wager $4,401 to cover Chris, but no more than $10,599 so as not to fall behind Bill's doubled score.
Chris: You have the hope of surpassing Jill if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,501 to force Jill to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $5,099 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Bill.
Bill: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen here in 1942 are the real-life models for this painting

FINAL SCORES
Bill: $2,400 + $2,400 = $4,800 (What is American Gothic?) (3rd place)
Chris: $9,900 + $9,900 = $19,800 (What is American Gothic? Hi Joël!) (2nd place)
Jill: $15,400 + $4,401 = $19,801 (What is American Gothic?) (Finalist)
(Alex: The woman was the sister of the artist; the gentleman was his dentist.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jill: $15,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Chris: $9,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Bill: $2,400, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $26,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Chris: 20/59 = .339
Jill: 19/59 = .322
Bill: 11/58 = .190
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
JOBS $600: On "Curb Your Enthusiasm", Jeff Garlin isn't Larry's agent but rather his this
(Chris: What is publicist?)

GATES $200: On April 22, 1957, Memphis Doors Incorporated installed the gate seen here at this performer's home

2016 STAMPS $400: In February 2016 the postal service rang in this lunar holiday with the stamp seen here; the word "monkey" appears in Chinese

LITERARY POTPOURRIE $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Switzerland.) Lake Geneva has long been a place of literary pilgrimage; this writer called it "blue as the heavens" when she lived here with her poet husband, who almost drowned one night on the lake and did drown in Italy a few years later

LITERARY POTPOURRIE $1600: Here's a portrait of this author as a young woman; perhaps it was painted in middle March
(Chris: Who is George Sand?)

DOCUMENTARIES $400: In "Heir to an Execution", Ivy Meeropol explores the truth about her grandparents, this couple, executed in 1953

IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR $400: It was the election year the photo was taken

DOCUMENTARIES $2000: This 1976 documentary about recluses Big & Little Edie Beale inspired an HBO movie & a Broadway musical
(Chris: What is Grey Mansions?)

LAW FIRMS $800: Try Falangetti & Weimortz for your criminal case-- they've both been on the other side as deputy these
(Bill: What are attorneys?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Bill: Prosecutors? Prosecuting attorneys?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

LAW FIRMS $1600: Tops for patent litigation per U.S. News & World Report, Fish & Richardson specializes in IP, short for this
(Bill: What is an initial...)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Downing Street
responsive
admonish
Snapchat
Lyft
Jaime Escalante
the Columbia River Gorge
Arkansas
professorial
Alexandria
autism
American Gothic
manager
Elvis
Chinese New Year
Mary Shelley
George Eliot
the Rosenbergs
Grey Gardens
district attorneys
intellectual property
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART MODELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen here in 1942 are the real-life models for this painting

Chris Tempro: 9900+9900=19800
Jill Gilbert: 15400+4401=19801 (Finalist)
Bill Knuth: 2400+2400=4800

Correct response:
Spoiler
American Gothic

Daily Doubles
Chris: 2800+1500
Jill: 13400+2000

Coryats
Chris: 9000
Jill: 15400
Bill: 2400

Combined: 26,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue May 10, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Well that was the easiest FJ in a while, considering the two subjects look completely the same in the photo as they do in the painting.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT teacher at $200 on Jobs?

NHO that "greater love" quote, 4/5 in Bible.

Can't say I recognize "Uncle Vanya".

Odd edit on "scholarly". [jump cut] "We're looking for something else. Chris or Bill?"

NHO Rosenbergs or lobbying either.

I honestly would never have gotten that autism clue. Derp.

Instaget FJ!
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

My son, who knows nothing about art and has probably seen American Gothic a grand total of 3 minutes in his 13 years of life, insta-got this (Well, as much as "the one with the farmer holding the pitchfork" is an insta-get for a kid. He wasn't gonna know the name :P)
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

These FJs have been disgraceful, IMO.

What a calm, collected performance by Jill. She plays like a pro.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

REALLY!? REALLY J! WRITERS!?? They look the same!!!

I'm just gonna smile, say "CONGRATS JILL!!!"...and then stop because I could vent my spleen about that FJ for ages.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Rosenbergs or lobbying either.
I was not familiar with the Rosenbergs until they were the Final Jeopardy from about a year ago, and I did some wiki-research on them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this FJ polled at 100%
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i practiced law in manhattan for more than 35 years. i was not happy that the contestants were avoiding the category of "law firms" in double jeopardy.
when the contestants finally got to the daily double in the "law firms" category, i had 17000 on my jeopardy! calculator app.
the following occurred:
1. hero or goat? hero or goat?? hero or goat???
2. i bet it all!
3. "what is arkansas?!!!!!"
lol! :)
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Jill on becoming a finalist. I had 48 correct responses including these triple stumpers: responsive, admonish, Snapchat, Lyft, Columbia River Gorge, professorial, Alexandria, and autism. I also got FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What a mess. Poor Chris just shot himself in the foot too many times. He seemed to be enjoying himself in spite of that. He was fun to watch.

Way to go, Jill! Nice decisive win. You looked calm and in charge as usual. Also fun to watch. What were you and Chris talking about at the end of the SJ round? It was that Jaime Escalante miss, wasn't it?
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

In Cleveland it appears that tomorrow's episode aired today. I was fairly baffled when at the end of the episode they announced that the winner was the third finalist, joining the winners of the two previous days.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

I had to go to the Falangetti & Weimortz website to check "U.S. Attorneys" on that clue; since both lawyers worked only in the L. A. County DA's office, my response was clearly wrong and I had to reverse. That being so, I'm quite surprised that Bill's response was negged. (ETA: less surprised now that I've looked again at the clue wording; the word "deputy" pins clearly to the words that complete the title.)
corvo wrote:What a calm, collected performance by Jill. She plays like a pro.
With seven clues to go and both categories known to contain a Daily Double, I wasn't a fan of going to the top of Law Firms; I wondered whether both the DDs would go unclaimed. But Jill sticking with the category at the end (vice chancing either of the Lighthouse clues) was smart. So was the wager - I'd have been inclined to go for the lock, but getting to a crush while protecting the lead on the down side was an excellent play. 32 seconds and two clues had elapsed between LTAM and Jill finding the DD, making it unlikely another clue would be seen.
MitchO wrote:My son, who knows nothing about art and has probably seen American Gothic a grand total of 3 minutes in his 13 years of life, insta-got this (Well, as much as "the one with the farmer holding the pitchfork" is an insta-get for a kid. He wasn't gonna know the name :P)
OSXpert wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this FJ polled at 100%
Well, that'll depend on whether I vote. I got as far as MitchO's son did - and blanked on the name. The only paintings I could think of where Whistler's Mother and Christina's World, both of which I was certain were incorrect.
catena58
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by catena58 »

opusthepenguin wrote:What were you and Chris talking about at the end of the SJ round? It was that Jaime Escalante miss, wasn't it?
Yes it was. Biggest brain fart ever. As a math teacher, deeply inspired by Escalante's story, it was almost like looking at my own face and being unable to recall my own name. Thanks to Maggie for helping me rebound. We sang a chorus of "Shake It Off" during the commercial break. All in all though,, I had a great time- injured foot (self-inflicted) and all.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Congratulations, JillyJill!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,600
40 R/2 W
DD: 2/2
FJ: Instaget
LT: Lyft, Jaime Escalante, professorial, Alexandria, 1908, autism

I spent a weekend in Vegas with that woman! Great job, Jill.

Headslapper miss of the night: in hindsight, Harvey Fierstein seems a more obvious choice to narrate a biography of Harvey Milk than does Harvey Keitel. :oops:
Sprinkles are for winners.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Jill on the victory. Chris killed himself with way too many negs. And there came a time when there were two DD's on the board, and in the lighthouse category only the $1,600 and $2000 clues remained -- meaning that just by going to that category you had a 50% chance of landing on a DD -- and everybody kept playing the "law firms" category from the top down. (I am glad we got to see all the clues in it, and I probably would have gone TDD on that DD in almost any game situation. I would have liked to see the two uncovered lighthouse clues, though.)

In that "law firms" category, BTW, speaking as someone who's been practicing law for over 20 years, the "district attorney" clue was vague and poorly written. I said "prosecutor" and I'm counting it correct with zero hesitation. (And I certainly would have pleaded my case to the judges had I been dinged for it on the show.) "Deputy prosecutor" is a thing; a few seconds on google confirms that. And different jurisdictions call their head prosecutors by different titles , so it's not reasonable to expect a contestant to know that two random attorneys whose locales aren't even given in the clue are deputy district attorneys specifically.

Yesterday I mentioned that world capitals are something that every J! contestant should know. Another such category is Presidents, including dates of their terms. Today $2,000 went unclaimed by all three contestants on the Taft clue. (The 7 wonders of the ancient world also come up again and again in the J! canon, and it was surprising to see the lighthouse at Alexandria be a TS.)

Today's FJ was the easiest since . . . yesterday's. :D And unlike yesterday's,
Spoiler
today's wasn't unfair to Canadian play-along-at-home folks :).
ETA: Bill shouldn't have been negged for "prosecuting attorneys," and once he was negged, that neg should have been reversed.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue May 10, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I groaned when they all missed Alexandria.
They could've made FJ somewhat harder by showing the photo and asking for the artist who painted them. Still would've been a triple get on the show and 80+% in the weekly poll.
I was only $200 away from tying the combined Coryat tonight. This board was noticeably tougher than last night's.
The two-day Final could be very outchangey if a woman wins tomorrow. The rift would be wider than the Columbia River Gorge.
Hoping for a third lap
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

catena58 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:What were you and Chris talking about at the end of the SJ round? It was that Jaime Escalante miss, wasn't it?
Yes it was. Biggest brain fart ever. As a math teacher, deeply inspired by Escalante's story, it was almost like looking at my own face and being unable to recall my own name.
:lol:

It took me a few seconds to recall the name myself. (Fortunately, you guys insured that I HAD a few seconds. :D ) My first thought was "Who is Edward James Olmos?"