Friday, February 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6315, 2012-02-17

2012-A Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Catherine Whitten, a high school history teacher from Plano, Texas
Nate Rice, a high school ACT prep teacher from Catlettsburg, Kentucky
Lisa Johnston, a fourth and fifth grade reading and religion teacher from East Boston, Massachusetts

OPENING REMARKS
Alex:
Thank you, Johnny Gilbert.
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
Two semifinalists waiting in the wings to play their games next week.
Seven positions still open.
Who will emerge from this game as a semifinalist?
Lisa, Nate, Catherine, welcome aboard.
Pick up your signaling devices.
Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you, and these categories are now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BORN IN 1912 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NAME THE NETWORK (5/5)
QUEEN Bs (5/5)
STATE FARM (4/5)
BEAUTY & MAKEUP (5/5)
LANGUAGE LESSONS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Nate: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Catherine: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lisa: $3,400
Nate: $2,400
Catherine: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex:
The kids at Jasper High, in Plano, Texas, cheering on Catherine Whitten.
Now you were a sports major in college.

Catherine:
Sports medicine, yes.

Alex:
Sports medicine.
And you took anatomy.

Catherine:
Yes.

Alex:
And I understand there's a connection between that class and me.

Catherine:
Little bit, yes.

Alex:
Yeah.

Catherine:
Uh, been a big "Jeopardy!" fan for a long time, obviously, and my, uh, lab partner in my anatomy class, uh, Steven and I decided--he's a huge fan as well--uh, decided to name our cadaver "Alex Trebek".

[Laughter]

Catherine:
I learned a lot from Alex Trebek.

[Laughter]

Alex:
Right.

Alex:
Nate Rice is from Kentucky.
He is a young man who has learned three very important life lessons so far.
Tell us what they are.

Nate:
Yes, Alex.
Uh, one of my old high school teachers, Kathy felty--she's now one of my co-workers, too--uh, she told me three great pieces of advice--one--always be at work early, two--always stay late, and three--never, ever buy anything without a purchase order.

Alex:
Good for her and for you.
I hope you follow her advice.

Alex:
Lisa Johnston is from East Boston, Massachusetts.
You, young lady, are the only contestant we have ever had on this program who was attacked by a flying squirrel.

Lisa:
Yes, a flying squirrel.

Alex:
What were the circumstances?

Lisa:
It got into our house by mis--

Alex:
By mistake?

Lisa:
By a hole in the wall...

Alex:
Yeah.

Lisa:
And, um, was up in the cabinet, and I thought, after quite a while of trying to figure out how to get this baby squirrel out of the cabinets, um, that maybe a jar of marshmallow fluff would entice him out.
So I held up the jar, and he looked in, looked out, looked in, looked out, and jumped on my head.

[Laughs]

Lisa:
So...

Alex:
Obviously, you finally got him out of there--

Lisa:
Yeah, we did.

Alex:
--before he was full-grown.

Lisa:
Yes.

Alex:
Okay, good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nate found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Lisa had $5,000, Nate had $4,000, and Catherine was at $2,400. Nate wagered $1,500.

BORN IN 1912 $1000: Born in Italy in 1912, he chose a papal name that honored his 2 immediate predecessors

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATE FARM $1000: Fairwinds Farm in Bowdoinham

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nate: $6,700
Lisa: $5,600
Catherine: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PIRATES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THAT'S NOT GNEISS! (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RELIGION (5/5)
I BEFORE E, AFTER C (5/5)
A WELL-STOCKED LIBRARY (4/5)
LAST MAJOR MOVIE ROLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Catherine: 10 R, 0 W
Nate: 10 R, 0 W
Lisa: 7 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Lisa had $10,400, Nate had $12,700, and Catherine was at $10,800. Lisa wagered $3,000.

PIRATES $1600: The first Barbary Coast Wars fought on the "shores of Tripoli" against pirates occurred under this president
(Lisa: Who is Monroe?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lisa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Lisa had $8,600, Nate had $12,700, and Catherine was at $14,000. Lisa wagered $3,000.

THAT'S NOT GNEISS! $1600: This porous volcanic rock floats; after the eruption of Krakatau, banks of it covered the ocean for miles
(Lisa: What is tufa?)
(Alex: No, but you're on the right track. You're thinking of taking a bath and using [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A WELL-STOCKED LIBRARY $2000: "Remember everything you read", which presents this woman's "7-day speed reading & learning program"
(Alex: That famous woman is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nate: $19,500
Catherine: $14,000
Lisa: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Nate: Wager $8,501 to cover Catherine.
Catherine: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $399 (martian), and you'll win the game if Nate wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Lisa: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Catherine's part. Wager all $6,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only title character in her creator's 6 major novels, she was portrayed in a 1996 film & a 2009 miniseries

FINAL SCORES
Lisa: $6,800 + $6,800 = $13,600 (Who is Emma?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Catherine: $14,000 + $7,173 = $21,173 (Who is Emma?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Nate: $19,500 - $3,000 = $16,500 (Who is Jane Eyre?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
(Alex: It seems that in the last two decades, we're always seeing new versions of this author's works.
[revealing Lisa's repsonse]
[*]...Jane Austen...you're absolutely right.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nate: $19,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Catherine: $14,000, 17 R, 2 W
Lisa: $12,800, 18 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $45,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Nate: 21/59 = .356
Lisa: 19/60 = .317
Catherine: 18/58 = .310
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BEAUTY & MAKEUP $600: (Sarah delivers the clue from a makeup room)

It's the handheld tool... (whir, click) that's become a synonym for touching up something

NAME THE NETWORK $600: "Whitney"
(Catherine: What is CBS?)

NAME THE NETWORK $1000: "Storage Wars"
(Nate: What is TLC?)

LANGUAGE LESSONS $400: Japanese:
Thank you
(Catherine: What is konnichiwa?)

THAT'S NOT GNEISS! $400: The Venus de Milo is one of many noted statues made of the parian type of this material

THAT'S NOT GNEISS! $800: Better be good if you don't want a stocking full of this carbon-rich stuff

THAT'S NOT GNEISS! $1200: You're looking at this silica mineral, widely used in clocks & watches

THAT'S NOT GNEISS! $2000: Wales has a national museum devoted to this stuff used in roofing, flooring, & blackboards

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pope John Paul I
Maine
Thomas Jefferson
pumice stone
Evelyn Wood
Emma (Woodhouse)
airbrush
NBC
A&E
arigato
marble
coal
quartz
slate
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Literary Characters
The only title character in her creator's 6 major novels, she was portrayed in a 1996 film & a 2009 miniseries.
Spoiler
Who is Emma? (from Jane Austen's Emma) Nate said Jane Eyre. (written by Charlotte Bronte)
Nate Rice: $19,500-$3,000-$16,500
Catherine Whitten: $14,000+$7,173=$21,173
Lisa Johnston: $6,800+$6,800=$13,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The Addams Family began as cartoons? I did not know this. Major, major, MAJOR adaptation displacement there.

How the hell she did not get pumice? That was one of the four I actually got right in that round.

My mojo was really thrown off by the first four categories being way out of my league, then Not Gneiss being easy as pie (even though I had no clue on $400). "Ancient" was also mega-overvalued.

Absolutely lost on FJ! as usual.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Would Pope John Paul be considered correct, or would I be BMS'd on it?

Got final this week. Great fought game though. Probably wild cards for both of them, but we'll see.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Best played game so far.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The Addams Family began as cartoons? I did not know this. Major, major, MAJOR adaptation displacement there.

How the hell she did not get pumice? That was one of the four I actually got right in that round.

My mojo was really thrown off by the first four categories being way out of my league, then Not Gneiss being easy as pie (even though I had no clue on $400). "Ancient" was also mega-overvalued.

Absolutely lost on FJ! as usual.
The Addams Family got their start as occasional cartoons in the New Yorker. From there they went to the TV show (I think.)
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Would Pope John Paul be considered correct, or would I be BMS'd on it?
Considering that there is never a BMS when they are looking for John Paul II, I'd say...

I don't know.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a great game. I really liked this board, even though I didn't do well on it.

I guessed correctly on FJ. I wasn't familiar with the movie or the miniseries. I also considered Jane Eyre but I wasn't sure that Charlotte Bronte had 6 major novels.

Like with the college tournament, I have really liked the boards so far and feel like they haven't been anywhere near as dumbed down as usual. And the contestants are handling them very well. I hope that this continues.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

bpmod wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Would Pope John Paul be considered correct, or would I be BMS'd on it?
Considering that there is never a BMS when they are looking for John Paul II, I'd say...

I don't know.

Brian
Not sure either... In my head I emphatically said the first since I was afraid "John Paul" would be presumed as JPII who was far more famous.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

On the same wavelength as StevenH, I also considered Jane Eyre, but I was pretty sure that it was far and away the most well-known novel of Charlotte Bronte, so it would be odd to consider her having 6 major novels. Emma was my first thought, and I knew that there was a film version starring Gwyneth Paltrow, with 1996 sounding just about right for the year. The 2009 version was no help to me, since like Alex said, we seem to be constantly inundated with movies adapted from Jane Austen. (Not that that's a bad thing...just not necessarily my cup of tea) The other two of her works that I know of are Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, so the singular title character seemed to fit perfectly. Mansfield Park is another that I may have known at one time, but it didn't come to me right that second. For the record, #5 and #6 (in whatever order) would be Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.

Jane Eyre actually came quite close to satisfying most of the clue, as there was a 1996 American film version, starring Charlotte Gainsbourg, William Hurt, Elle MacPherson, and Anna Paquin (in her post-Piano, pre-mutant, pre-vampire phase) as young Emma. I can't find a 2009 television version, but there was a BBC mini-series in 2006 and a British radio production in 2009. (This is all from Wikipedia, so take it for whatever that is worth to you. I'm sure most can be verified on IMDB)

However, C. Bronte does indeed appear to fall well short of 6 major novels, and her second novel (after Jane Eyre) was titled Shirley. If anyone's immediate reaction to Nate's FJ response was "Shirley you can't be serious!?" then I bow to your superior literary and pop-culture proficiency. (Check out that i before e right after the c.) Oddly enough, Bronte also had an unfinished novel, titled Emma, that she only finished 20 pages of before her death. It was later completed, and published in 1980 under the incredibly awesome title of Emma, by "Charlotte Brontë and Another Lady".
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Fell for Jane Eyre, as Emma seems to be one of my J! blind spots. More Pirates, please, even if you must include the Somalis who are a disgrace to Blackbeard.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

SkoolRN wrote:The Addams Family got their start as occasional cartoons in the New Yorker. From there they went to the TV show (I think.)
And from there they went to one of the best pinball machines ever.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

trainman wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:The Addams Family got their start as occasional cartoons in the New Yorker. From there they went to the TV show (I think.)
And from there they went to one of the best pinball machines ever.
Yes, this is true!
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they outright negged you on it.

Wouldn't have gotten FJ if you had given me a month to think about it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The FJ clue had me not setting the time machine far enough backwards to get to Emma. Mitchell and Lee were out. Christie didn't work. I found no way that Ferber made sense and Cather was a strike out as well. 1996 movie was not enough to do anything and the more recent miniseries did not lead me to anything I could recall. For a rare time my scoresheet was hammered with no response.

If I had figured out Austen was the author (would have known to go right past any Bronte) then I can't imagine running the titles would have had me skip Emma in brainstorm. The clue worked fine for two of the players tonight and the chatter so far on the board shows it's a reasonable clue. Nate and I needed something else in the wording.

Is Evelyn Wood really worth $2000 these days? Other than the World Book I thought that was the easiest in the Library category.

$2000 got by me in Last Major Movie Role when I broke my own rule not to take a reasonable guess when going for the run. Road to Perdition of course = Newman, but I laid off as I knew Doc Hudson in Cars was more recent. I get the distinction between an acting role and a voice role, but I feel a little cheated even though it's my fault.

If one of the teachers wanted a YouTube moment it was there for the taking in Religion. "Alex, what is the missionary position?"
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Got final this week. Great fought game though. Probably wild cards for both of them, but we'll see.

You'd be asked "Which one?", most assuredly.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they outright negged you on it.

Wouldn't have gotten FJ if you had given me a month to think about it.
My mind went nowhere. Went with "Anne of Green Gables" as a WAG.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: My mind went nowhere. Went with "Anne of Green Gables" as a WAG.
That's more than I ended up with, which was, "ummmmmmmmmm....." :)

My problem was that I misinterpreted the clue. For whatever reason, I was thinking that the clue was looking for a series of 6 books, of which this person was the title character (along the lines of Harry Potter), not that one of this author's 6 books had a title character. Oops.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

econgator wrote:Wouldn't have gotten FJ if you had given me a month to think about it.
I wouldn't have gotten Charles Addams if you'd given me a month. I've never heard of Evelyn Wood, either.
Did anyone else think "Mildred Pierce"? I thought "Emma" instantly, then got hung up on "miniseries" and changed my response because I couldn't think of an "Emma" miniseries. :roll: