Wednesday, May 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7308, 2016-05-25

Buzzy Cohen game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Trowbridge, a librarian from Atlanta, Georgia
Ted Reinhold, a transportation planner from Arlington, Virginia
Buzzy Cohen, a music executive from Los Angeles, California (whose 7-day cash winnings total $133,402)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hey, folks. A pattern has developed. Here's where things stand right now. If the game is a runaway for our champion, Buzzy Cohen, and he does not know the correct response in Final Jeopardy!--he will continue coming up with those pithy little putdowns of yours truly.

[Laughter]

Alex: Uh, so, Ted and Sarah, I urge you, make this a competitive game all the way to the end so that I no longer have to suffer, okay?

[Laughter]

Alex: Good luck. Here we go. Categories now in play are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GOVERNMENTAL BEFORE & AFTER (4/5)
A HARRY POTTER BESTIARY (5/5)
HAWAIIAN HISTORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PARTS OF SPEECH (5/5)
SINGERS' REAL NAMES (4/5)
THE OLD MAN & THE "C" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buzzy: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Ted: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Sarah: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ted: $4,000
Buzzy: $1,600
Sarah: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Trowbridge is a librarian. And she also leads a book group. Now when I think of a book group, I think of a quiet gathering of people who are enjoying a particular novel or whatever. But your book group is a little different.

Sarah: Their enjoyment sometimes get a little--gets a little bit enthusiastic. I have a Monday morning mystery book group. And, uh, over the years that I've been running it, I've learned that I need to keep them in control. And I now use a gavel that I take with me to every--every meeting.

Alex: And do you ever have to use it in a physical way?

Sarah: Almost--almost every time I have to use it several times.

Alex: Yes.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right, I love it. At least they're reading.

Sarah: They're reading.

Alex: And that's important.

Alex: Ted Reinhold is a transportation planner from Virginia, who in college was a member of an unusual competitive team.

Ted: That's right, Alex. Uh, I was a civil engineer major in college and I participated in a concrete canoe competition where we design, build, and race concrete--uh, canoes made completely out of concrete.

Alex: And they don't sink, of course, because they displace a fair amount of water. Did you win your tournament?

Ted: We did quite well, actually, yes.

Alex: Yeah? Okay, good for you.

Alex: Buzzy Cohen is a music executive, and his father is in the schmatta business, right?

Buzzy: That's right, yep. My dad is the third generation to own a clothing store in New Jersey, where I grew up. And, uh, funny enough, it has a man's name, but none of the men who ever owned it, uh, had that name.

Alex: I see. And he's been providing you with all of the suits that you've been wearing so far?

Buzzy: Yeah, he made me some custom suits for good luck. And I've been lucky enough to have to go through--

Alex: Okay, this is your eighth appearance. Is he gonna run out of suits for you very soon?

Buzzy: He's got a whole store full of them, so...

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, all right. He wants you to keep going.

Buzzy: Exactly.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buzzy found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Buzzy had $4,000, Ted had $4,600, and Sarah was at $4,000. Buzzy wagered $2,000.

HAWAIIAN HISTORY $800: Fresh out of Harvard's School of Horticulture & Agriculture, he founded the Hawaiian Pineapple Company in 1901

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SINGERS' REAL NAMES $400: Perhaps this singer born Peter Hernandez got his stage name from an "Unorthodox Jukebox"

GOVERNMENTAL BEFORE & AFTER $1000: Capitol Hill newspaper that's also a Jack London novel about a dog

HAWAIIAN HISTORY $1000: An Oahu statue of her, Hawaii's last queen, holds copies of items she wrote--"Aloha ʻOe" & a Hawaiian Constitution

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Buzzy: $6,000
Ted: $4,600
Sarah: $4,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT BELONGS TO THE BRITISH (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ASTRONOMY (3/5)
THE RAZZIE FOR WORST ACTOR (3/5)
THE COLLEGE'S ALUMNI (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AT HOME WITH ADAM & EVE (3/3)
TURN UP THE A_C (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buzzy: 9 R, 2 W
Ted: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ted snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Buzzy had $10,400, Ted had $9,000, and Sarah was at $2,000. Ted wagered $3,000.

THE COLLEGE'S ALUMNI $1600: Richard E. Byrd,
Alan Shepard,
John McCain
(Ted: What is the University of Arizona?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sarah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Buzzy had $11,600, Ted had $5,600, and Sarah was at $3,600. Sarah wagered $2,000.

IT BELONGS TO THE BRITISH $2000: Longwood house on this South Atlantic island 'is said to be the finest Napoleon museum in the world
(Alex: Sarah?)
(Sarah: No, I got nothing.)
(Alex: You had to remember where Napoleon was exiled, on the island of [*].)
(Sarah: Ah.)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now. Pick again.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TURN UP THE A_C $1600: 3-D,
4-H,
1-A
(e.g.)
(Sarah: What is acrostic?)

ASTRONOMY $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows some images on the monitor.) The ancient Polynesians were remarkable navigators; they were probably guided by stars such as Sirius that appeared directly above them at this celestial point, from Arabic for "way over the head"
(Sarah: What is apogee?)
(Alex: You had a choice, Sarah. You picked the wrong one.)

ASTRONOMY $2000: Dwarf planets lying within this belt at the edge of the solar system include Haumea & Makemake

THE COLLEGE'S ALUMNI $2000: Leonard Cohen,
Ken Dryden,
William Shatner
(Alex: They're all graduates of [*] in Montreal, Quebec.)

THE RAZZIE FOR WORST ACTOR $800: The verdict was in & this stand-up comedian won for 1995's "Jury Duty"

THE RAZZIE FOR WORST ACTOR $1200: Even George W. Bush heated things up in 2005, winning for playing himself in this documentary
(Ted: What is An Inconvenient Truth?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Buzzy: $12,800
Ted: $7,200
Sarah: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVERTISING ICONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Buzzy: Wager $1,600. Risk any less and Ted may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Sarah may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Ted: Wager all $7,200. If Buzzy bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Sarah: Wager all $5,600, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Buzzy if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This spokes-animal created in 1951 got a wife & a daughter, Antoinette, in the 1970s

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $5,600 - $5,600 = $0 (Who is ?) (3rd place)
Ted: $7,200 - $6,000 = $1,200 (Who is geoffrey the giraffe?) (2nd place)
Buzzy: $12,800 + $1,601 = $14,401 (Who is Tony the Tiger?) (133403-day champion: $14,401)
(Alex: [To Buzzy] For Frosted Flakes. Yes, indeed.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Buzzy: $11,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Ted: $10,200, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: $7,600, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $29,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Buzzy: 22/59 = .373
Ted: 16/59 = .271
Sarah: 10/59 = .169
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SINGERS' REAL NAMES $600: We will kiss & tell that he was born Chaim Witz in Israel
(Buzzy: Who is Ace Frehley?)

SINGERS' REAL NAMES $800: Seen here, he was born in Miami as Armando Perez

A HARRY POTTER BESTIARY $1000: A sort of combination bird & horse, Buckbeak is one of these magical creatures
(Sarah: What is a griffin?)

HAWAIIAN HISTORY $600: In 1898 a camera crew from this inventor's company filmed scenes in the Hawaiian Islands
(Ted: Who is... Kodak?)

ASTRONOMY $800: The Omega Nebula in this "archer" constellation was named for its resemblance to the Greek letter
(Buzzy: What is Orion?)

THE RAZZIE FOR WORST ACTOR $1600: It was Raspberry nirvana for Mike Myers when he won for the title role in this 2008 comedy about a holy man
(Buzzy: What is The Guru?)

AT HOME WITH ADAM & EVE $2000: At God's urging, Adam performs this task in Genesis 2, then takes a long nap
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
(James) Dole
Bruno Mars
Roll Call of the Wild
Queen Lili'uokalani
the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis
St. Helena
alphanumeric
zenith
the Kuiper Belt
McGill University
Pauly Shore
Fahrenheit 9/11
Tony the Tiger
Gene Simmons
Pitbull
a hippogriff
Edison
Sagittarius
The Love Guru
the naming of the animals
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVERTISING ICONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This spokes-animal created in 1951 got a wife & a daughter, Antoinette, in the 1970s

Buzzy Cohen: 12800+1601=14401 (8x = $147,803)
Ted Reinhold: 7200-6000=1200
Sarah Trowbridge: 5600-5600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tony the Tiger (Ted - Geoffrey the Giraffe) (Sarah - ?)
Daily Doubles
Buzzy: 4000+2000
Ted: 9000-3000
Sarah: 3600-2000

Coryats
Buzzy: 11600
Ted:10200
Sarah: 7600

Combined: 29,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed May 25, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,200
46 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Bruno Mars, Roll Call of the Wild, Queen Liliuokalani, alphanumeric, Kuiper Belt, U.S. Naval Academy, Pauly Shore, Fahrenheit 9/11

Buzzy just keeps on rolling along. It would have been rough had his near miss on The Love Guru cost him the game. I'm surprised FJ! wasn't a triple-get. I thought the Antoinette-->Tony TOM path was pretty obvious.

I guess I need to do some cramming on the Harry Potter series. I was perfect in the J! round except for that category, where I got goose-egged.

Raise your hand if you lost the Elba/St. Helena coin flip!
Sprinkles are for winners.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Raise your hand if you lost the Elba/St. Helena coin flip!
Present!

It was nice watching a more competitive game today. Enjoying watching Buzzy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hey, mom. If I say I'm too tired to work because I've had a ridiculous day at work, then that means I'm too freaking tired to work and need to go home. I was shaking, dizzy, and literally could not stand because it hurt too much. That does NOT mean that I should keep pushing myself for another 3 hours because it's my job that I absolutely under every circumstances HAVE to do, despite what you may think. Or would you prefer that I literally pass out or have a heart attack or stroke or whatever on the job? Because I bet even then, I'd get an earful from you for how irresponsible and lazy I am, inconveniencing my coworkers like that and not just doing my work like I'm supposed to.

Okay, enough of my mom's insane workaholism....

3/5 in Harry Potter; would've been 4 but I blanked on Hedwig's name, with Fluffy being the only outright miss. I keep saying it: if I didn't like those books, why have they stuck with me so well? I remember a LOT of stuff for having given up after Goblet of Fire.

This grammar nazi ran the Parts of Speech category. Also ran A_C.

WLT "surfing" at $200? There are lots of pastimes that involve the ocean.

Mercury is smaller than Venus. Noted.

College's Alumni was five clue's worth of "who cares?" to me, although I'm surprised that OCR was used as the descriptor of Kurzweil and not something about singularity or transhumanism, but that could just be personal interests biasing my TOMs.

I saw Brad Jones' Midnight Screenings episode on "Saving Christmas" several times. I saw his friends review "Saving Christmas" on the same show several times. I saw Brad himself review "Saving Christmas" on an episode of The Cinema Snob several times. And I STILL drew a total blank on Kirk Cameron's name. What the hell.

No guess on FJ! "Antoinette" wasn't sending any signals to me.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Antoinette, Anthony, Tony. That took 25 seconds or so. Could I have written it down in time? Sure :D
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I floundered for 15 seconds and then focused on Antoinette and got to Tony in time.

The colleges category was impenetrable for me, got nothing in it. I also accidentally said Kepler Belt instead of Kuiper Belt. :oops:
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Buzzy on yet another win! I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Bruno Mars, Roll Call of the Wild, alphanumeric, zenith, Kuiper belt, and McGill University. I also got the missed DD of St. Helena, and I got FJ (before Alex finished reading the clue).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Mercury is smaller than Venus. Noted.
Venus is almost the same size as Earth (95%).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Able was I ere I said Elba.

Ted's brain freeze on Edison kept him from the Dole DD. That could have been what cost him the game until he missed FJ.

I got Tony right away and could not believe two of them missed it.

Nice bet by Sarah.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Congrats to Buzzy, that was a much better game than yesterday's. I had nothing on FJ, Antoinette sent me to Marie (and therefore a dead end) instead of Tony.

Elba is obviously a good guess for the Napoleon DD, but it doesn't fit the category because it does not belong to Britain. Speaking of which, what's with Alex's accent every time the word "British" comes up? I guess at least it's (slightly) more bearable than his Dracula one.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

pauerpoint wrote:Elba is obviously a good guess for the Napoleon DD, but it doesn't fit the category because it does not belong to Britain.
See, that's why you're headed to the ToC and we schlubs aren't.

(That, and the fact that I can't convert passing the test into an audition invite to save my life. Hopefully Jillyjill's referral sways Maggie & Co. this year.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Anybody else know the Hawaiian queen but clam because they weren't sure how to pronounce her name?
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: I guess I need to do some cramming on the Harry Potter series. I was perfect in the J! round except for that category, where I got goose-egged.
I started watching the game little late today, right around the time when Ted (?) ran (?) Harry Potter. I was impressed and thought Buzzy was in trouble, as I was in same shoes as BDMatty. I got GSWarriored in that category. Then in the last category of J - there it is... DD sitting pretty. Then I thought Buzzy is not THAT much in trouble.

In colleges category, I thought it was tougher than normal and I said UNC for Duke :o Glad I wasn't on the show, otherwise I maybe popular as the Auburn/Alabama guy.

Some of my nightmare categories would be stupid answers, Razzie awards.

For FJ, Antoinette --> French --> Michelin Man --> obviously the tires that will keep the family safe. A cereal guy has a family?? and they do what? eat more cereal?

P.S. After all these years why does Alex get impressed/surprised when it is a pretty regular clue/answer. He should be surprised when no one gets pitcairn when spotted Bounty!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody else know the Hawaiian queen but clam because they weren't sure how to pronounce her name?
I'd bet that's why they didn't respond, but I do know how to pronounce it.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody else know the Hawaiian queen but clam because they weren't sure how to pronounce her name?
I am hoping it is close enough pronunciation -- throw in some Lillies and kales in a blender and shout NAY :D
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: I guess I need to do some cramming on the Harry Potter series. I was perfect in the J! round except for that category, where I got goose-egged.
I can help you with that. Easy 5/5 for me. I smiled as I gave most of the responses, because I was fondly remembering certain characters. :)
I ended up doing it slowly and phonetically. Thankfully it's one of those names where I have the letter order pretty solid in my mind. I can definitely see where a contestant would hesitate trying it out under the lights.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

For 30 seconds I kept trying to think which snack cake had an animal mascot, preferably one with a French accent...

Even after the reveal, when I finally made the backformation from Tony to Anthony to Antoinette, I still wasn't sure that was supposed to be the connection. Dear Kellogg's, please name her Tonya next time. ;)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

pauerpoint wrote:I had nothing on FJ, Antoinette sent me to Marie (and therefore a dead end) instead of Tony.
Me too. Every day this week, I've come here and seen to my relief that at least one other person missed FJ the same way I did.

But I got St. Helena!