Wednesday, June 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer »

econgator wrote:
corvo wrote:Another terrible FJ, IMO. WTF is going on with the writers?
Yeah, that clue sucked.

I went with tennis.
So did I. I was pleasantly surprised to find out afterwards that tennis really does date back to the Middle Ages. Sort of.

Thanks for nothin', Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:Having experience in rowing on an Ivy League crew (coxswain, actually), you'd think I'd have gotten this one, but no.

And speaking of fencing ... When I was somewhere around 10 or 12, a friend of the family took me down to UPenn for a fencing match. I was put to use as a timer for the women's matches. I guess I was doing well, because they then gave me a men's match to time. I watched the clock very carefully, and when the round was over, I yelled "Time!". Everyone there stopped, turned, and stared at me. I was mortified and had no idea what I might have done wrong. Apparently no one bothered to tell me that the men's rounds were one minute longer.
Someone on the Facebook page said they put down crew and wondered if it would be accepted. Are they the same thing or is there a technical difference? I thought about crew but put down rowing since FJ is not the time to try and get cute.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

dinghammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
corvo wrote:Another terrible FJ, IMO. WTF is going on with the writers?
Yeah, that clue sucked.

I went with tennis.
So did I. I was pleasantly surprised to find out afterwards that tennis really does date back to the Middle Ages. Sort of.

Thanks for nothin', Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
There is a court tennis court at the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI. I was lucky to see a couple of people playing it when I visited.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:
alietr wrote:Having experience in rowing on an Ivy League crew (coxswain, actually), you'd think I'd have gotten this one, but no.

And speaking of fencing ... When I was somewhere around 10 or 12, a friend of the family took me down to UPenn for a fencing match. I was put to use as a timer for the women's matches. I guess I was doing well, because they then gave me a men's match to time. I watched the clock very carefully, and when the round was over, I yelled "Time!". Everyone there stopped, turned, and stared at me. I was mortified and had no idea what I might have done wrong. Apparently no one bothered to tell me that the men's rounds were one minute longer.
Someone on the Facebook page said they put down crew and wondered if it would be accepted. Are they the same thing or is there a technical difference? I thought about crew but put down rowing since FJ is not the time to try and get cute.
I see no reason why they wouldn't take it.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

seaborgium wrote:
Plactus wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Wrigley Field at $200?
Ivy
And Cubs.
And chewing.
Really, either Cubs OR Ivy should be enough. You're close enough to Chicago, TPH; the Ivy at Wrigley Field is (barely) arguably *the* single most famous piece of baseball stadium Pavlov there is. I'd dare say that if we polled either half of the clue alone, it'd be mid to high 90s; combined I'd put money on it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:I thought we were talking about The Rapture, a relatively recent (mid-19th century, or mid-18th at the earliest) Christian belief that God will take Christians up into heaven prior to the second coming of Christ and the final judgment. In this sense, it is called "rapture" because believers are "taken up" into heaven. It's from the Latin word rapere, meaning "to seize". While joy and ecstasy may be presumed to result, I don't think that's part of the meaning of "rapture" in The Rapture.

Predating this meaning, "rapture" can indeed refer to a feeling of joy and ecstasy as though one has been taken up into heaven--spiritually rather than bodily. I think TPH understood "being raptured" in this sense. If so, I can understand why he did not see any connection to the "apocalyptic disappearing acts" referenced in the clue.
That's what I'm getting at. That's the only context I've heard "rapture" in.
MitchO wrote:Really, either Cubs OR Ivy should be enough. You're close enough to Chicago, TPH; the Ivy at Wrigley Field is (barely) arguably *the* single most famous piece of baseball stadium Pavlov there is. I'd dare say that if we polled either half of the clue alone, it'd be mid to high 90s; combined I'd put money on it.
I totally didn't see "Cubs" anywhere in the clue. "Ivy" means nothing to me since I know nothing about baseball.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I totally didn't see "Cubs" anywhere in the clue. "Ivy" means nothing to me since I know nothing about baseball.
There are lots of things I know "nothing" about, but there are fragments of things that are just too famous to avoid, or too "Pavlovian" to ignore watching Jeopardy! for more than a month. But this conversation is nothing new with you.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

I see no reason why they wouldn't take it.
I didn't think so, just wanted to avoid another chess strategy debate.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Somebody pointed out in a correction suggestion to the Archive that the show got the year of Qatar's OPEC 50th anniversary stamp wrong in LEFTOVERS $1600. The anniversary, and the stamp, came in 2010, not 2015.