Monday, June 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7316, 2016-06-06

CONTESTANTS
Stew Latwin, a Navy pilot originally from Rye, New York
Gary Yokie, a graphic designer and editor from Houston, Texas
Kelly Bayles, a librarian from Tulsa, Oklahoma (whose 3-day cash winnings total $62,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I am often asked by people who are in our studio audience, "What's the best part about hosting Jeopardy!?" And my answer has been the same for many, many years. It's the 30 minutes I get to spend on stage with three very bright people. You are three very bright people, aren't you?

[Laughter]

Alex: We know about Kelly. She's won a lot of money in three shows. Let's see what happens today. Good luck. Jeopardy! Round is first. One Daily Double awaits you in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AIRCRAFT FOR THE AGES (5/5) (Alex: All of the clues were recorded by our Clue Crew onboard the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York. They had a lot of fun.)
KITCHEN TERMS DEFINED (4/5)
CANADIANA (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PRO SPORTS TEAM NAME CHANGES (5/5)
NATIONAL PARKS (5/5)
CROSSWORD CLUES "P" (5/5) (Alex: Highlighted because each correct response will begin with that letter.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stew: 13 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W
Kelly: 8 R, 2 W
Gary: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stew: $3,600
Gary: $2,400
Kelly: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The movie Top Gun was a big inspiration for Steve--Stew Latwin in becoming a Navy pilot. What do you fly?

Stew: I fly helicopters. So the H-60 for the Navy.

Alex: I see. And how long have you been in service?

Stew: I've been in service almost eight years now.

Alex: You like it, obviously.

Stew: I love it.

Alex: The Navy's a good service, isn't it?

Stew: Yes, it is. Great to be in, honor to serve.

Alex: Right. Okay.

Alex: Gary Yokie is a graphic designer from Houston, Texas, who has recently illustrated a book for children?

Gary: Yes, I illustrated a book for Angel, the official therapy dog of Houston. She was born with only one eye and three legs. And there was an issue of whether or not the breeder would let her survive. But, uh, she became a trained therapy dog, and she does wonders for people, and especially for--for children and older people who have a visual, uh, impairment or--or are differently abled.

Alex: What kind of dog is it?

Gary: A--a golden retriever.

Alex: Ah. Great, great dog.

Alex: Kelly Bayles is a librarian from Tulsa. Her hometown--is that Tulsa?

Kelly: Yes, yes.

Alex: Okay. It says here is the location of the Center of the Universe. Hmm, what's going on?

Kelly: [Laughs] Well, there's a bridge in downtown Tulsa, and there's this particular spot on this bridge where, if you stand in the middle of it, you can hear your voice echoing all around you, but people outside of this spot can't hear anything. And it's called the Center of the Universe. And it's just kind of a cool thing to say, "Well, I'm from the same town as the Center of the Universe."

[Laughter]

Alex: You, uh, emphasize what you can.

Kelly: [Laughs] True.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gary found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Kelly had $2,800, Gary had $2,600, and Stew was at $8,200. Gary wagered $800.

CANADIANA $600: Ice hockey is the country's official winter sport; the national summer sport is this one with a French-Canadian name

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KITCHEN TERMS DEFINED $200: It's the nucleus of a grain kernel; wheat's is widely available

CANADIANA $200: In Canada "This Land Is Your Land" goes, "From Bonavista" (in this land paired with Labrador) "to Vancouver Island"
(Stew: What is New Brunswick?)
(Gary: What is Prince Edward Island?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stew: $8,200
Kelly: $3,600
Gary: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FROM THE FOREIGN (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OSCAR-WINNING SONGS (3/5)
"M"ISCELLANY (4/5)
ELLIS ISLAND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S OVER BETWEEN US (1/3)
ALL KINDS OF DRAMA (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kelly: 9 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Stew: 6 R, 2 W
Gary: 5 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kelly snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Kelly had $6,000, Gary had $1,800, and Stew was at $9,400. Kelly wagered $2,000.

FROM THE FOREIGN $1200: This word for income is from the French for "return"
(Kelly: [Sighs] Um, what is... profit?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kelly who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Kelly had $3,600, Gary had $3,000, and Stew was at $11,800. Kelly wagered $3,000.

ELLIS ISLAND $1200: In 1965 Lyndon Johnson issued a proclamation making Ellis Island a part of this national monument

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALL KINDS OF DRAMA $2000: The 3 Ms of medieval drama were the mystery play, the morality play & this one, aka a saint's play

OSCAR-WINNING SONGS $1200: This rousing song from "Selma" won the 2014 song Oscar

OSCAR-WINNING SONGS $2000: What a feeling! This disco & electronic dance music pioneer won for "Flashdance" in 1983
(Kelly: Who is Irene Cara?)
(Gary: Who is Donna Summer?)
(Stew: Who is Michael Sembello?)
(Alex: No harm, no foul on that one.)

FROM THE FOREIGN $1600: You don't have to be part of it to know "intelligentsia" is from this language
(Kelly: Um, what is Italian?)
(Stew: What is Latin?)
(Gary: What is Greek?)
(Alex: No. No harm, no foul again.)

"M"ISCELLANY $400: The gel type of this beauty treatment resists chipping longer
(Kelly: What is nail polish?)
(Gary: What is mascara?)

IT'S OVER BETWEEN US $400: Your rabbi, my priest & Deuteronomy 7:3 made me wary of this kind of marriage
(Gary: What is polygamy?)

IT'S OVER BETWEEN US $1200: Not only do we have constant arguments but I hate that you call them these & incorrectly rhyme them with "toes"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stew: $14,200 (lock game)
Kelly: $6,600
Gary: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Stew: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kelly: Wager $2,601 to cover Gary.
Gary: Risk between $0 and $600, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the Latin, it's one of the middle names of an 18th century luminary & means lover of or loved by God

FINAL SCORES
Gary: $4,600 + $4,600 = $9,200 (What is Amadeus?) (3rd place)
Kelly: $6,600 + $6,600 = $13,200 (What is Amadeus?) (2nd place)
Stew: $14,200 - $800 = $13,400 (What is ?) (New champion: $13,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stew: $14,200, 19 R, 3 W
Kelly: $6,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Gary: $4,400, 11 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $25,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Stew: 19/58 = .328
Kelly: 18/60 = .300
Gary: 12/59 = .203
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AIRCRAFT FOR THE AGES $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the USS Intrepid.) Operated by British Airways, Concorde Alpha-Delta set a passenger airliner speed record in 1996 when it flew between these two cities in just 2 hours, 52 minutes, & 59 seconds
(Gary: What are New York and Paris?)

AIRCRAFT FOR THE AGES $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the USS Intrepid in New York.) Rolled out in 1976, the prototype for the Space Shuttle program was originally to be named the Constitution before a letter writing campaign by fans of a TV series prompted a change to this

KITCHEN TERMS DEFINED $1000: The name of this chopping blade means "half moon" in Italian

AIRCRAFT FOR THE AGES $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the USS Intrepid in New York.) The speedy Vought Crusader served as both a fighter & reconnaissance plane; in 1962, the Crusaders flew at treetop level over this country to take crucial photos of Soviet missile installations

AIRCRAFT FOR THE AGES $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York.) Flying at more than 2,000 miles per hour, the A-12 Blackbird generated temperatures of 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, too high for aluminum, so its skin was made of this silvery gray, high-strength metallic element

AIRCRAFT FOR THE AGES $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the the USS Intrepid in New York.) The Grumman Aircraft Corporation was known as the "Ironworks" for its rugged planes; in its combat debut, a Grumman Avenger returned safely with 67 bullet & 9 cannon holes from this carrier battle, the turning point in the Pacific war

NATIONAL PARKS $600: Evil-sounding park in southwestern South Dakota
(Kelly: Um, what is, um, Devil's Tower?)

PRO SPORTS TEAM NAME CHANGES $400: In 2014 these Charlotte NBA felines became the Hornets
(Kelly: Um, what are the... Seahawks?)

PRO SPORTS TEAM NAME CHANGES $800: "Stockings" was once part of the name of this oldest team in the NL Central Division
[Alex reads "NL" as "National League's".]

PRO SPORTS TEAM NAME CHANGES $1000: In 2007 an exorcism was performed on the name of this Florida team
(Alex: Yes. They used to be the Devil Rays.)

CANADIANA $400: Canada is part of this organization of countries with ties to the United Kingdom; its flag is seen here
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

CANADIANA $800: (I'm Kevin O'Leary of Shark Tank.) A free market guy like me & this public TV network in Canada: it couldn't last forever, so in 2014 I left the show "Dragons' Den" after an 8-year run
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

OSCAR-WINNING SONGS $400: With music by Allie Wrubel, it's the winning song for 1947 heard here

"M"ISCELLANY $2000: I remember fondly the time I once ate this small cake seen here

ELLIS ISLAND $1600: While attending law school, this future NYC mayor known as "The Little Flower" served as an interpreter on the island
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go now.)

IT'S OVER BETWEEN US $800: Please return the engagement ring I got at this letter-perfect jeweler found in malls nationwide
(Stew: What is [*]'s?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
lacrosse
the germ
Newfoundland
revenue
the Statue of Liberty
a miracle play
"Glory"
Giorgio Moroder
Russian
manicure
a mixed marriage (or interfaith marriage)
rows
Amadeus
New York & London
the Enterprise
mezzaluna
Cuba
titanium
Midway
the Badlands
the Bobcats
the Cincinnati Reds
the Tampa Bay Rays
the Commonwealth
the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)
"Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah"
a madeleine
LaGuardia
Kay
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the Latin, it’s one of the middle names of an 18th century luminary & means lover of or loved by God

Kelly Bayles: 6600+6600=13200
Gary Yorkie: 4600+4600=9200
Stew Latwin: 14200-800=13400 (new champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Amadeus (Stew - ?)
Daily Doubles
Gary: 2600+800
Kelly: 6000-2000
Kelly: 3600+3000

Coryats
Kelly: 6800
Gary: 4400
Stew: 14200

Combined: 25,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not only was this FJ an instaget, I precalled it.I wish I could know if I'd have figured it on my own. :x

Nice win by the Navy pilot.

Kelly had $3,600 when she hit the last DD with just a few clues left. She bets $3,000. Going into FJ, she was locked out $14,200-$6,600. An all-in bet on the DD (or even if she had held back a dollar) lets her retain her title.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Sorry to see Kelly go down like that. I was hoping she'd be the next Jackhammer Julia. At the very least, it would have been fun and exciting to have a contest going into FJ, but Kelly just couldn't find her mojo today. All the ways she could have won, including coming up with "Newfoundland" after being spotted "and Labrador," Bonavista, and having two of the other three Atlantic provinces shot down.

Irene Cara indeed sang "Flashdance ... What a Feeling," but the Oscar goes to the songwriter(s), not the performer.

When that aviation category came up, I'm sure a lot of people thought, "not fair." This would have been a good day for AT to remind everyone that the questions are written without knowledge of who the contestants are, and that the contestants are chosen without knowledge of what the questions are.

This land is your land, This land is my land
From Bonavista to Vancouver Island
From the Great Lakes waters to the Arctic islands
This land was made for you and me.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Kelly holds back $600 on the last DD and costs herself the game. Ouch.

If they were trying to prove that last week's Canada category was an anomaly and contestants really do know basic facts about America's hat, that kind of backfired. Spotted Newfoundland and asked for the other half, two contestants swing and miss. The third one clams. Ouch.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

opusthepenguin wrote:Kelly holds back $600 on the last DD and costs herself the game. Ouch.

If they were trying to prove that last week's Canada category was an anomaly and contestants really do know basic facts about America's hat, that kind of backfired. Spotted Newfoundland and asked for the other half, two contestants swing and miss. The third one clams. Ouch.
Seriously. Might as well bet it all in that case. Not great play this time around.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but I worked it out from "deus".
Leander

Post by Leander »

Since when is "revenue" another word for income? Only in the most general sense I guess.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Leander wrote:Since when is "revenue" another word for income?
Since the Middle Ages...
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Another LOL at the cutesy unthinking round number wager costing her the game. Oh look, I saved $600 just in case I miss. I'm so smart.....
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Others have commented on that DD wager so I'll save myself the aggravation.
opusthepenguin wrote: If they were trying to prove that last week's Canada category was an anomaly and contestants really do know basic facts about America's hat, that kind of backfired. Spotted Newfoundland and asked for the other half, two contestants swing and miss. The third one clams. Ouch.
The Canadians are laughing at us again. I should be used to it by now, but I just stared at the screen in disbelief. _______ and Labrador should never be a TS.

FJ should've been instaget, but ama + deus finally clicked with plenty of time to spare.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:Since when is "revenue" another word for income? Only in the most general sense I guess.
What other meaning does it have?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Stew on his win. I had 48 correct responses including these triple stumpers: germ, Newfoundland, miracle play, Giorgio Moroder, Russian, and mixed marriage. I also got FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There seemed like a lot of odd misses tonight.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Did it feel like an easier board today to other folks? For example, I normally do not do well with things like National Parks and I went 4 for 5 in that one. Lots of TOMs in there.
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

I thought Stew said "Kays" instead of "Kay" for the mall jeweler clue. Did I hear incorrectly? I really thought that was going to be overturned, and then Stew wouldn't have had a lock going into FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said recompense instead of revenue, and Webster says it's "Middle English, from Anglo-French recompenser" but I don't know if there was something else in the clue that pinned it?

For some reason, all my precalls during the break were politicians so I didn't get to Amadeus.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Jaksiel wrote:I thought Stew said "Kays" instead of "Kay" for the mall jeweler clue. Did I hear incorrectly? I really thought that was going to be overturned, and then Stew wouldn't have had a lock going into FJ.
He definitely said "Kays".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

floridagator wrote:
This land is your land, This land is my land
From Bonavista to Vancouver Island
From the Great Lakes waters to the Arctic islands
This land was made for you and me.
Those are not the words I learned in school. But there may well have been variations.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

New Brunswick and Labrador? Prince Edward Island and Labrador?

A prospective J! contestant should brush up on Canadian geography, it appears to be easy money given the lack of knowledge displayed by most on the show.