Friday, June 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7325, 2016-06-17

CONTESTANTS
Christopher Denault, a wedding videographer and stay-at-home dad from Carol Stream, Illinois
David Sena, a public interest attorney originally from Claremont, California
Liz Haigney Lynch, a freelancer writer and genealogist from Montclair, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. On our program yesterday, we said goodbye to young hunter, who left us having won six games and $147,000. If you liked him, don't worry. You'll see him again on our next Tournament of Champions. But Liz is the one who defeated him. How will she fare today against David and Christopher, our challengers? Good luck to all three. Let's go to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories for you. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GOING _____ ON CLASSICAL MUSIC (5/5)
A SIZEABLE CATEGORY (5/5)
RESORTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ANIMATED MOVIES (5/5)
Y, OH Y (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will contain two "Y"s.)
BECAUSE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
David: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Liz: 9 R, 0 W
Christopher: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
David: $3,600
Christopher: $3,400
Liz: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Christopher Denault is the first player we introduced on the program today. He is from Carol Stream, Illinois.

Christopher: Correct.

Alex: Proposed to his wife on the back of a jigsaw puzzle?

Christopher: Abs--I'm glad you asked that question. Uh, yeah, back when we were--during our--our younger days, we used to do a lot of jigsaw puzzles. And we had one, the, uh, sitting on a-a small, little coffee table. And one day, so she went to work. I spent the next seven or eight hours putting it all back together, took a giant board, flipped it over, and wrote a giant heart that said, "Will you marry me?" And then I flipped it back over and took all the pieces out I worked on the entire day, and put it back in the box and let it sit there. And so for week after week after week, her proposal was sitting right there in the jigsaw puzzle box.

[Laughter]

Alex: That's wonderful. Okay, good for you.

Alex: All right, Dave Sena from Claremont, California. In high school, you were voted the "most likely to..."

David: Uh, be on a reality show.

Alex: This is a reality show.

David: Uh, yeah, in a sense. There's something about my personality that people found slightly, um, off-kilter perhaps.

Alex: Why?

David: I had the tendency to be somewhat of a clown. I think you were a class clown as well. I've heard you say that on Jeopardy!

Alex: Shh! Shh!

[Laughter]

Alex: Shh. [Lowered voice] Don't spread it around.

David: [Whispers] Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: [Normal voice] All right, Liz Lynch is our champion. She's from Montclair, New Jersey. She is a genealogist, which means you look into ancestry...

Liz: Yes, I do.

Alex: ...things like that.

Liz: But mostly because of the area I live in, which is right outside of New York City, I, uh, tend to work on immigrant people who are from, you know, about 1850 on. They tended to not own a lot of property and, uh, sometimes get into more trouble than, uh, they, you know, left records. But in any event, there are some really amazing stories. And no crowned heads, but some people whose stories really deserve remembering.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Liz had $5,400, David had $6,800, and Christopher was at $3,600. David wagered $2,000.

RESORTS $800: The house built by Anton Chekhov in this Crimean resort is now a museum containing some of his personal items
(David: Uh, what is Sevastopol?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Liz: $6,400
David: $4,800
Christopher: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BEFORE & AFTER (3/5)
WHICH BRITISH MONARCH'S REIGN? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EARTH SCIENCE (1/5)
IN THE ZONE (4/5)
TEEN LITERATURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TOUGH AARON SPELLING WOMEN (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Liz: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
David: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Christopher: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Liz snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Liz had $7,200, David had $5,600, and Christopher was at $3,800. Liz wagered $3,000.

WHICH BRITISH MONARCH'S REIGN? $1200: Oliver Cromwell enters Parliament

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was David who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Liz had $18,200, David had $5,200, and Christopher was at $5,800. David made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

TEEN LITERATURE $1200: A famous collection of Freud's theories was 1917's "Introductory Lectures on" this process
(Alex: You have a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEFORE & AFTER $400: The Caped Crusader gets a "Blurred Lines" singer as a new sidekick & they tour as this duo

EARTH SCIENCE $800: The temperature at which ocean water will freeze depends mainly on density & this other -ity

EARTH SCIENCE $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a diagram on the monitor.) Passenger planes typically cruise at an altitude in the lower part of this atmospheric layer, between the troposphere & the mesosphere

EARTH SCIENCE $1600: This name for a type of glacier tells you it forms at the foot of a mountain

EARTH SCIENCE $2000: From the Latin for "whiteness", it's the amount of sunlight reflected back from a planet; for Earth it's about 33%

BEFORE & AFTER $1200: "Bridesmaids" & "SNL" star who guided Santa's sleigh

TOUGH AARON SPELLING WOMEN $800: As Kimberly, Marcia Cross ran down Michael with a car, framed Jane for the crime & blew up the complex on this title street
(Alex: Christopher, you knew that. You should've rung in.)

IN THE ZONE $2000: The southern one stretches from the tropic of Capricorn to the Antarctic circle

TEEN LITERATURE $2000: This German author published "Demian", a novel of a troubled young man seeking enlightenment

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Liz: $21,000 (lock game)
David: $10,400
Christopher: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY IN THE NEWS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Liz: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
David: Wager $4,401 to cover Christopher.
Christopher: Risk between $0 and $1,400, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Mexico's Programa Frontera Sur aims to secure its 600-mile-long border with this country

FINAL SCORES
Christopher: $7,400 + $3,001 = $10,401 (What is Guatemala?) (3rd place)
David: $10,400 + $4,400 = $14,800 (What is Guatemala?) (2nd place)
Liz: $21,000 + $100 = $21,100 (What is Guatemala?) (28501-day champion: $21,100)
(Alex: What we discovered about a month ago on our program was that many people in the United States do not know much about Central America. Let's see if we change all of that today.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Liz: $19,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
David: $8,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Christopher: $7,400, 11 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Liz: 20/59 = .339
David: 20/60 = .333
Christopher: 12/58 = .207
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A SIZEABLE CATEGORY $200: At 22,000 square miles, it's the largest lake entirely within one country

RESORTS $1000: The beautiful turquoise color of this Alberta lake is due to sunlight reflecting off glacial silt

BECAUSE $200: St. Augustine wrote that "God created all things in" this many days "because the number is perfect"
(David: What is seven?)
(Alex: He rested on the seventh day.)

BEFORE & AFTER $1600: Black Rock, Nevada annual festival that's used as a football strategy where one player matches up with another
(David: What is Burning Man Zone?)

TOUGH AARON SPELLING WOMEN $400: Tiffani-Amber Thiessen's manipulative Valerie moved from Buffalo to L.A. & got busy with Dylan on this show
(David: What is Saved by the Bell?)

BEFORE & AFTER $2000: Collective name for the small group that picks the president, vice president & pope
(Alex: Yes. Makes you laugh.)
[No one was laughing.]

WHICH BRITISH MONARCH'S REIGN? $2000: Shakespeare dies
(David: Um, who is... Elizabeth I?)

IN THE ZONE $800: Denver is in this zone, defined in the Federal Code of Regulations title 49, section 71
[ERRATUM: 49 C.F.R. § 71 is in the "Code of Federal Regulations", not the "Federal Code of Regulations".]

TOUGH AARON SPELLING WOMEN $1600: Kaley Cuoco made life miserable for Phoebe, Paige & Piper, real witches themselves on this drama
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Yalta
Charles I
psychoanalysis
Batman & Robin Thicke
salinity
the stratosphere
a piedmont
albedo
Maya Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Melrose Place
the temperate zone
Herman Hesse
Guatemala
Lake Michigan
Lake Louise
Burning Man-to-Man
Beverly Hills, 90210
the Electoral College of Cardinals
James I
the Mountain Time Zone
Charmed
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY IN THE NEWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Mexico’s Programa Frontera Sur aims to secure its 600-mile-long border with this country

Liz Haigney Lynch: 21000+100=21100 (2x = $49,600)
David Sena: 10400+4400=14800
Christopher Denault: 7400+3001=10401

Correct response:
Spoiler
Guatemala
Daily Doubles
David: 6800-2000
Liz: 7200+3000
David: 5200+5200

Coryats
Liz: 19200
David: 8400
Christopher: 7400

Combined: 35,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Jeez...has Alex ever called out contestants like that for their continued ignorance of Canadian geography? Funny he references that awful Central American capitals performance right before a triple get. Close to, but not quite instaget here.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

xxaaaxx wrote:Jeez...has Alex ever called out contestants like that for their continued ignorance of Canadian geography? Funny he mentions that right before a triple get. Close to, but not quite instaget here.
Central American geography, not Canadian. I think Alex was referring to a game that aired in April with a Central American Capitals category, where nobody got a single clue correct (I was in the audience for that one, Carter Spires won the game and Christian the fishmonger was one of the other contestants). That was pretty dire, considering there were only seven capitals from which the five clues were generated.

Well done Liz, she played within herself (with no negs that I recall) and got the runaway.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

pauerpoint wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Jeez...has Alex ever called out contestants like that for their continued ignorance of Canadian geography? Funny he mentions that right before a triple get. Close to, but not quite instaget here.
Central American geography, not Canadian. I think Alex was referring to a game that aired in April with a Central American Capitals category, where nobody got a single clue correct (I was in the audience for that one, Carter Spires won the game and Christian the fishmonger was one of the other contestants). That was pretty dire, considering there were only seven capitals from which the five clues were generated.

Well done Liz, she played within herself (with no negs that I recall) and got the runaway.
I know...it just amazes me that after years of failure at Canadiana, that one bad Central American category would be what gets a scornful callback (I'll make this a bit clearer). Or maybe he has teased them about it before and I just don't remember.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Animated Movies. I absolutely adore Zootopia and was glad to see it as a clue.

"Seven" was an easy trap on "Because", as "seven" has been thought of as a perfect number too.

Yes, I got the King of Prussia and Lake Michigan clues.

I still see no possible way to keep British monarchs straight. NHO Thomas More anyway.

Also NHO "green zone".

NHO Aaron Spelling, so didn't have a chance on that category.

Country to the south of Mexico; that's all I need to get this one. Um... not Belize, not Panama. Crap, what else is in Central America? Uh.... ... ... ... Even pausing the video didn't jog my memory. It was right there, I could picture it, but I just couldn't spit out the name no matter how hard I tried. Betcha anything I'm the first vote to break the 100% here, too.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

The British monarchs category was an easy 5/5, which shows that they stuck to the really obvious ones.
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Seven" was an easy trap on "Because", as "seven" has been thought of as a perfect number too.

Yeah, perfect number made me say seven instead of six.

And I've heard of Spelling, but didn't know what shows he produced (though I would have guessed 90210) or seen any of the shows in the category. Still managed to go 4/4.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Plactus wrote:The British monarchs category was an easy 5/5, which shows that they stuck to the really obvious ones.
Those were the OBVIOUS ones?!?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Crimea + resort = Yalta. Worth remembering.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Plactus wrote:The British monarchs category was an easy 5/5, which shows that they stuck to the really obvious ones.
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Seven" was an easy trap on "Because", as "seven" has been thought of as a perfect number too.

Yeah, perfect number made me say seven instead of six.
How are you two defining 'perfect number'? I took it as the mathematical definition - from number theory - which instantly took me to six, as it's the smallest perfect number: 3+2+1=6. Seven is not a perfect number in number theory.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Hoo boy, have I ever had this much Lach trash? And back to the Kids' Week FJs. Good game by Liz regardless. She shows that she's no one trick pony. :mrgreen:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Come on, round timers and show editors. Squeeze in clue 30 for the DJ! round in a 21000 to 10400 game with $2000 on the board. Liz was still going to win, so the result was not in danger.

There are not a lot of countries I can do it for, but for Mexico I know the southern borders are Guatemala & Belize. Which one has the bigger border area? I wrote Guatemala. My certainty was not as big as big as it would be for geography buffs or travelers. I'll take it though considering the category appeared to have more bite to it.

Christopher: You've seen your fair share of ANIMATED MOVIES? And some more than once? ;)
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Ran Animated Movies. I absolutely adore Zootopia and was glad to see it as a clue.

I still see no possible way to keep British monarchs straight. NHO Thomas More anyway.
Irony defined.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The innominate situation came up on the last clue. That is where the 3rd place player scores, preventing the 2nd place player from stopping a runaway. Christopher screwed himself and David by ringing in with "Charmed." In order for them to have any chance at all, David needed to be 50% or more of Liz. Of course, Christopher had no chance himself, making this a less weighty situation than were he possibly in contention by saving the 2nd place finisher.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

CailinGaoilge wrote:How are you two defining 'perfect number'? I took it as the mathematical definition - from number theory - which instantly took me to six, as it's the smallest perfect number: 3+2+1=6. Seven is not a perfect number in number theory.
When I think of assigning religious significance to a number, number theory usually doesn't cross my mind.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I am unable to watch games lately...but wanted to see today's game as Christopher was on. Thanks Penguin.

Result was a surprise as I was expecting part Slam's rule...it sure was a tough competition. Tough luck Christopher. Dave seemed like a strong player -- again shows that first game is probably the toughest game. Other than Earth Science, the game moved quickly.

I discarded Guatemala for USofA with all the talk about USofA building a wall.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

MarkBarrett wrote:Come on, round timers and show editors. Squeeze in clue 30 for the DJ! round in a 21000 to 10400 game with $2000 on the board. Liz was still going to win, so the result was not in danger.

There are not a lot of countries I can do it for, but for Mexico I know the southern borders are Guatemala & Belize. Which one has the bigger border area? I wrote Guatemala. My certainty was not as big as big as it would be for geography buffs or travelers. I'll take it though considering the category appeared to have more bite to it.

Christopher: You've seen your fair share of ANIMATED MOVIES? And some more than once? ;)
Hey everyone... finally get to talk about this one!

Yep, give me an animated movie category any day. I didn't have the best buzzer luck in the first round, as a good 10 questions or so I tried but couldn't ring in. It wouldn't have hurt for Liz to miss once, but she didn't have a single neg for two games straight. Really hard to catch up when the leader never comes backward.
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

floridagator wrote:The innominate situation came up on the last clue. That is where the 3rd place player scores, preventing the 2nd place player from stopping a runaway. Christopher screwed himself and David by ringing in with "Charmed." In order for them to have any chance at all, David needed to be 50% or more of Liz. Of course, Christopher had no chance himself, making this a less weighty situation than were he possibly in contention by saving the 2nd place finisher.
I thought for sure we were going to get to that last question, but in any case, this kind of thing's what you can surmise when you're Monday quarterbacking the game. Playing this in real time, I wasn't thinking at all about letting Dave get within earshot of Liz... I wanted to answer something!

My only regret during the gameplay was in going off of the Spelling category and trying out Teen Lit. If I'd have stayed with Spelling, we'd have seen that unrevealed clue, and I'd have had a much better shot at that than anything else on the board.

True story time: in the weeks before the taping, I told myself I needed to study up on my three worst subjects - Shakespeare, world capitals, and royalty. I was able to put in a lot of time on the first two, but never got around to the third, so whaddaya know, there's a royalty category up there... mocking me as I grumble and try to hold back the agony. ;)

But in not having any negs myself and netting over 10K for a final score, I at least avoided embarrassing myself and had fun up there. But what I really wished was that I was in the Thursday game - I completely rocked that one from where I was in the audience and really believe I'd have won that one, as I knew "All The King's Men" - Oscar movies are a specialty of mine.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Did anyone else have a problem regarding the Kalahari bushmen being called pygmies, or rather having the word pygmy be an acceptable answer for a Kalahari bushman? Of course the word fit the parameters of the category – I just don't think the clue was 100% correct. Thoughts?