Fun With Idiotest

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Fun With Idiotest

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I started at that a good five minutes and didn't even see the misplaced hyphen. Any way to make me less blind?
Do you see it now that it's been pointed out to you? If so, just try to approach the questions remembering that there is going to be something tricky about them. Also remember that there is going to be a correct answer (or at least, one they think is correct) - they've set it up that way.

In this case, the question had to do with prices, so focus on the prices. At first glance, they all look exactly the same. So there must be something different about one of them.
I knew it had to be SOMEthing with the prices. I looked over each price. Again and again and again and again. For five minutes straight. I stared at each price so hard that my eyes crossed, and did NOT see any difference among the three no matter how many times I looked.

I just don't have the eye for detail, and no amount of re-examining is going to make me get it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So is there a way I can make myself just SEE the tiny details that are so often the right answer? Because time after time after time, I scour the picture with my eyes. I zoom in. I zoom out. I put my face closer to the monitor. And I STILL don't see the little whatever they've slipped in.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

It's possible that things like word searches, or Where's Waldo pictures, may be of some help in improving that skill.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

skullturf wrote:It's possible that things like word searches, or Where's Waldo pictures, may be of some help in improving that skill.
I've tried both for ages and never gotten any better at them. Because everything is always in the ONLY place I somehow overlook.

Just like when I lose something I just had 30 seconds ago: it's always in a spot that I looked at up-close 50 times, but somehow didn't notice the piece of paper barely covering it. Or remember that I was in another spot for 3 seconds, just long enough to set it down.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
skullturf wrote:It's possible that things like word searches, or Where's Waldo pictures, may be of some help in improving that skill.
I've tried both for ages and never gotten any better at them. Because everything is always in the ONLY place I somehow overlook.

Just like when I lose something I just had 30 seconds ago: it's always in a spot that I looked at up-close 50 times, but somehow didn't notice the piece of paper barely covering it. Or remember that I was in another spot for 3 seconds, just long enough to set it down.
As I've pointed out before, this is something that people with Asperger's (like yourself) can't do, their condition prevents them. Just like my near sightedness prevents me seeing things far away without my glasses. I'm at peace with that. You should be too.

These just aren't for you, dude. Stop trying to think they could be.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So is there a way I can make myself just SEE the tiny details that are so often the right answer? Because time after time after time, I scour the picture with my eyes. I zoom in. I zoom out. I put my face closer to the monitor. And I STILL don't see the little whatever they've slipped in.
Practice. I find myself getting better at these the more I try them. They've got a whole web site where you can do a bunch of practice puzzles.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here are four puzzles from a 7/5/16 episode:

#1 puzzle
Spoiler
The answer:
Spoiler
Why it's the answer:
Spoiler
When a golfer hits a bad shot and yells, "Fore!" you might want to duck your head.
#2:
Spoiler
#2 answer:
Spoiler
Why it's the answer:
Spoiler
Animal is spelled Animal and not Aminal.
#3:
Spoiler
#3 answer:
Spoiler
Why it's the answer:
Spoiler
The baby has a thought bubble not a conversation bubble.
#4:
Spoiler
#4 answer:
Spoiler
Why it's the answer:
Spoiler
The desk underneath the ruler and papers spells, "FAIL."
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

3/4, missed the first one. Which seems especially dumb.

Thanks for posting these, MarkBarrett.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I like that last one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but the last one. Apparently the wordplay ones are my forte, and the "see the sailboat ones" my weakness. In fact, looking between the two screencaps, I honestly didn't notice
Spoiler
the desk changing to green to highlight the "FAIL"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A new season started last week. One puzzle from a Jan. 19 episode:
Spoiler
The right answer and it should be self-explanatory:
Spoiler
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So I saw this one on their Facebook page:
Spoiler
Everyone's saying "ivy", but for the life of me, I can't see ivy ANYwhere in this pic.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So I saw this one on their Facebook page:
Spoiler
Everyone's saying "ivy", but for the life of me, I can't see ivy ANYwhere in this pic.
Is that not ivy on the right? I can't see it in your picture because it's offscreen. But if we make the picture a little smaller...

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:Is that not ivy on the right? I can't see it in your picture because it's offscreen. But if we make the picture a little smaller...

WHERE on the right?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Is that not ivy on the right? I can't see it in your picture because it's offscreen. But if we make the picture a little smaller...

WHERE on the right?
THE GREEN STUFF!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

WHERE on the right?
THE GREEN STUFF!
I see green stuff on the left...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I see green stuff on the left...
It might have to do with the window size on your browser. In my default view, I can't see it on the right; if I go to full screen, though, there it is. (If you can't see the whole hashtag #IDIOTEST, you're missing part of the image.)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

WHERE on the right?
THE GREEN STUFF!
I see green stuff on the left...
Then the picture is still too big and part of it isn't showing. I made it smaller again. If you still can't see the ivy, try this:

1. RIGHT-click on the image
2. Select View Image or Open image in new tab

This will allow you to see the whole image, including the ivy on the right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh, THAT ivy. Excuse me for not having the super duper eagle eyes you apparently need to see this crap.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh, THAT ivy. Excuse me for not having the super duper eagle eyes you apparently need to see this crap.
Are you doing all this on your phone?