Monday, July 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7341, 2016-07-11

CONTESTANTS
Katie Pieper, a Ph.D. student from Athens, Georgia
Jason George, a management consultant originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Pam Platt, a writer and editor from Louisville, Kentucky (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. It's the start of a new week. We're delighted to welcome back our champion, Pam, who enjoyed the weekend, I'm sure, having won a lot of money on Friday.

Pam: It was terrific. Yes.

Alex: Jason and Katie, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Remember, there's one Daily Double among these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SIGNATURES (4/5)
LIT-POURRI (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BORN IN CONNECTICUT (5/5)
RED RHYME (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will rhyme with the word "red".)
ROCKS (4/5)
ROLES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Pam: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $4,000
Katie: $2,800
Pam: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The young lady is from Athens, Georgia. A Ph.D. student in genetics.

Katie: Yes. That's right.

Alex: Human genetics? What?

Katie: I actually study fruit flies. So I study sex chromosome evolution. And, uh, the flies that I study have a killer "X" chromosome. So that's what I study. It, um, males who carry it don't have any sons. They only have daughters. It kills males.

[Laughter]

Alex: Fruit flies.

Katie: Yes.

Alex: Is that exciting stuff?

Katie: I think so.

Alex: Yeah? Good for you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Jason George, a young man with two first names. But I understand in your culture, there's a reason for that. Explain it.

Jason: That's right. So George is actually my father's given name, which is taken by me as a surname. And George was taken by my father because he was born at the tail end of the British Empire in India, when George VI's face still appeared on the coin. So he got that idea that George would be a nice name. And here it is.

Alex: Okay, well, good for you.

Alex: Now we come to Pam Platt, a writer and editor. She is our champion. And you were once a judge for the Pulitzer Prizes?

Pam: Last year. Yes.

Alex: Yeah? What are you called upon to do? Read a lot of books?

Pam: Well, I was a--I was a judge for editorial writing, which is what I did--

Alex: Mm-hm.

Pam: --for a living for a long time. And I read a lot of editorials. And we had panel of five or six people, and we read and discussed and weighed.

Alex: And then made the vote?

Pam: Yes, we did.

Alex: All right, good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Pam was in the hole with -$400, Jason had $7,400, and Katie was at $2,800. Jason wagered $2,000.

LIT-POURRI $600: The opera "Les Troyens", or "The Trojans", by Berlioz was based on this ancient Roman epic
(Jason: What is the Odyssey?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROLES $1000: J.D. Cahill,
Davy Crockett,
Hondo Lane
(Pam: Who is Fess Parker?)

SIGNATURES $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) Based on his initials, the body is the "J" & the wings are the "W" in a stylized butterfly used to sign paintings by this artist

LIT-POURRI $800: "Don't make house calls" is the message of "A Country Doctor", one of this Prague writer's eerie tales
(Pam: Who is Roald Dahl?)

ROCKS $400: A large cannabis-growing area, the "Emerald Triangle" is a 3-county region in this state
(Jason: What is Oregon?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $5,400
Katie: $3,000
Pam: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HI, JULY! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NO. 2 ON THE CHARTS (4/5)
PERIODIC SPELLING (4/5)
KIND OF A GREY AREA (5/5)
ROADS SCHOLAR (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Notice the spelling there.)
THAT'S B_S! (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with a "B" and end with an "S".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 10 R, 0 W
Pam: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Pam had $1,400, Jason had $5,400, and Katie was at $4,600. Katie wagered $2,000.

HI, JULY! $800: An army uprising in Colonial Morocco in July 1936 triggered this nation's Civil War

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Pam who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Pam had $7,800, Jason had $10,600, and Katie was at $9,000. Pam wagered $3,000.

ROADS SCHOLAR $1200: More than 15,000 feet up, the world's highest intl. paved road is the Karakoram highway, shared by these 2 countries
(Pam: [Sighs] Um... What are... Nepal and Tibet?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PERIODIC SPELLING $2000: Tin + argon + potassium =
poetic prey of Carroll

ROADS SCHOLAR $2000: This World War II supply road with a "national" name was built in the 1930s & stretched from Lashio to Kunming

ROADS SCHOLAR $800: This interstate takes you from San Francisco to New Jersey, passing through some more sparsely populated areas

NO. 2 ON THE CHARTS $1600: In 1998 she was "Frozen" at No. 2; we guess that happens "when your heart's not open"
(Katie: Who is Idina Menzel?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $17,400
Pam: $9,200
Katie: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Jason: Wager $1,000. Risk any less and Pam may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Katie may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Pam: Wager all $9,200. If Jason bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Katie: Wager all $8,200, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Jason if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This comedy whose title aims to please says, "I charge you, o men... that between you and the women the play may please"

FINAL SCORES
Katie: $8,200 + $8,199 = $16,399 (What is As You Like It?) (2nd place)
Pam: $9,200 + $200 = $9,400 (What is As You Like It?) (3rd place)
Jason: $17,400 + $1,001 = $18,401 (What is As You Like It?) (New champion: $18,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $19,400, 23 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Pam: $12,200, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: $7,000, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 24/59 = .407
Pam: 15/59 = .254
Katie: 14/59 = .237
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SIGNATURES $600: Handprints, footprints, & signatures are the order of the day at this theater on Hollywood Boulevard

BORN IN CONNECTICUT $800: In 1868 a church in Hartford, Connecticut was founded in memory of this revolver inventor & some of his children

SIGNATURES $200: Jack Lew, now this cabinet bigwig, once used the signature seen here, but it never made it onto bills

BORN IN CONNECTICUT $200: A book called "Homegrown Terror" chronicles this patriot-turned-traitor & the burning of New London
(Pam: Who is Guy--oh, never mind.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Aeneid
John Wayne
James Whistler
Franz Kafka
California
Spain
Pakistan & China
Snark
the Burma Road
Interstate 80
Madonna
As You Like It
Grauman's Chinese Theatre (Mann's Chineese Theater accepted)
Colt
the Secretary of the Treasury
Benedict Arnold
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This comedy whose title aims to please says, “I charge you, O men…that between you and the women the play may please”

Pam Platt: 9200+200=9400
Jason George: 17400+1001=18401 (New Champ)
Kate Pieper: 8200+8199=16399

Correct response:
Spoiler
As You Like It
Daily Doubles
Jason: 7400-2000
Kate: 4600+2000
Pam: 7800-3000

Coryats
Pam: 12200
Jason: 19400
Kate: 7000

Combined: 38,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

All did not end well for me as I missed FJ.

I was hoping Jason would miss FJ but a nice win for him.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Is the Emerald Triangle all that well-known? At the $400 level, I certainly would have picked one of the states where it's legalized first.

Got FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I also said "Alls well that ends well". I haven't seen it, but the title sort of fit.

Swept the element spelling category - I like those.

I happened to be reading a book today where the characters are walking down Interstate 80, or else I may not have pulled the trigger on that one.
econgator wrote:Is the Emerald Triangle all that well-known? At the $400 level, I certainly would have picked one of the states where it's legalized first.

Got FJ.
Yeah, I guessed Colorado on the rebound and was surprised.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Jason on his win. I had 50 correct responses including these triple stumpers: John Wayne, James Whistler, Franz Kafka, California, snark, Interstate 80, Burma Road, and Madonna. I also got FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

OSXpert wrote:I also said "Alls well that ends well". I haven't seen it, but the title sort of fit.

I happened to be reading a book today where the characters are walking down Interstate 80, or else I may not have pulled the trigger on that one.
econgator wrote:Is the Emerald Triangle all that well-known? At the $400 level, I certainly would have picked one of the states where it's legalized first.

Got FJ.
I've never heard the term, but I've read enough about the pot growing in Northern Cal over the years to figure it had to be the answer.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Can somebody explain Pam's $200 wager to me? Why would she give herself absolutely no chance to win? I'm so puzzled.

The Karakoram Highway DD was a tough one, although I knew Nepal wasn't a candidate. I got Pakistan but wasn't sure if the second country was India or China.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

pauerpoint wrote:Can somebody explain Pam's $200 wager to me? Why would she give herself absolutely no chance to win? I'm so puzzled.
I'm not really confused by the wager, more confused as to why she would go all the way to the studio for a second taping day (either from her hotel or from her home in Louisville, Kentucky) and not try to win the game.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,200
41 R/5 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sn-Ar-K, I-80

My timing and brain were a bit off today. Must be the walking pneumonia or whatever it is I've been dealing with for the past three weeks. Got FJ! based on the "aims to please" TOM; would have been lost otherwise.

Yet another day where Daytime J! and J! shared a clue subject. This time it was James Whistler.
I went with Washington based on legalization and the fact that Seattle is nicknamed "The Emerald City."
Sprinkles are for winners.
jgeorge

Post by jgeorge »

Thanks all. I had no idea on the marijuana question, not even sure why I rang in. Some connection between Pacific NW and drugs.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Congratulations, Jason, and welcome to JBoard!
jgeorge

Post by jgeorge »

Also for what it's worth I believe our tape day was coming on the heels of the DC special games, so I think Pam was coming back after 3 weeks away. Only just saw her Friday 7/8 game obviously, and she was solid (glad I wasn't asked about Vladivostok!). Just a few clues would have swung it to either her or Katie.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

pauerpoint wrote:Can somebody explain Pam's $200 wager to me? Why would she give herself absolutely no chance to win? I'm so puzzled.

The Karakoram Highway DD was a tough one, although I knew Nepal wasn't a candidate. I got Pakistan but wasn't sure if the second country was India or China.
That DD was brutal, IMO.

Got FJ, though.
frugalpapillion

Post by frugalpapillion »

I went 3 for 3 with Daily doubles though I did guess China to go along with Pakistan. I didn't get final Jeopardy though and definitely need to bone up on my Shakespeare.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:All did not end well for me as I missed FJ.

I was hoping Jason would miss FJ but a nice win for him.
All's Well That Ends Well for me as well on a 2nd instinct after scratching out the correct response I wrote in two seconds. :evil:

I was hoping Jason would get FJ, so a nice win for him. And that was going to be my response before I noticed that Jason posted. Welcome to the Board.

SHAKESPEARE is never a strength, so of course I went the wrong way on a 50/50. As to why Pam bet only 200? I would think with any kind of background in the writing field that category would not bring about wagering paralysis. Not all contestants are savvy on the wagering. It cost Pam $1000, so a nice fine while it could have a much more severe penalty if Jason had missed the play.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The line used in FJ had me think of "All the world's a stage..." first which brought me to As You Like It. Anyone else make that link or go straight to the feelings bit?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was definitely rooting for Jason. My local pub trivia asked which country had the Karakoram Highway & none of the 7 teams got it. I had no idea it was also in China. I live in Pawleys Island, SC now so it was pretty exciting to see the Gray Man in a clue!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I also said "Alls well that ends well". I haven't seen it, but the title sort of fit.

Got FJ.
I've never heard the term, but I've read enough about the pot growing in Northern Cal over the years to figure it had to be the answer.
Same. Northern California has been a leader in weed production for a long, long time.