New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Sometimes the J! judges are out to lunch. LITERARY SETTINGS $1000: In this Agatha Christie novel, 10 guests are enticed to a mysterious house party on Indian Island

The clue did no go well although it could have gone worse, much worse if the third title was used.
Good night! Did they not know about the original title? I can't imagine knowing about it and greenlighting the clue anyway. That's worse than the time Wheel of Fortune had the "People Who Annoy You" category. :)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another TOCer gets a regular appearance in with Keith Bell #5: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5354

He played Judi Greenberg (the same one I recently added from a S4 game) and Chris Desser:
Spoiler

What an ugly game and the kind that amazes me to think J! is still on in S32.

When I added the S4 game with Judi Greenberg I did not realize she had played in S3 since it was her second game after returning and no mention was made of her prior appearance. What went wrong in the S3 game against Keith?

I don't know. Here is Keith's FJ! response with no specification.
Spoiler

I can't imagine the inadvertent line caused a problem.
Judi was negged on this clue: MUSIC MEN $400: Leaning on this product in a TV ad, Miles Davis says, "I'll play 1st & tell you about it later...maybe"

Here is a YT video of the ad:
Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZrbtKUZFqQ

It would seem strange to accept horn as the product being leaned on as a reason to bring her back.
Judi was negged on this clue. MUSIC MEN $800: Lyricist whose screenplays for "An American in Paris" & "Gigi" won him Oscars
Spoiler
Is Frederick Loewe somehow acceptable for at least part of the clue? Alan Jay Lerner seems to be the right guy as far as I can tell.

Judi was negged on this clue - IN THE NEWS $400: To the nearest billion, current population of the earth
Spoiler
Is 4 billion somehow a better response depending on who's counting when instead of 5 billion?
Please feel free to look over the game and look for other evidence why perhaps Judi may have been brought back.

This game had a couple of clues that interested me and called to me to do some additional reading:
Spoiler
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On his FJ......
Spoiler
Maybe they warned them to BMS on the names off camera and they realized too late they should have negged him?
I would have handed her the crown just for knowing the last baseball clue.
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Hi everyone,

I'd like some help with this old clue from Season 3:

Glasslike substance used in painting decorations on china, whether "over" or "under"

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2555

The correct response is "lay" but I'm unable to find any reference to a substance called "lay". Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

JeuParti wrote:Hi everyone,

Glasslike substance used in painting decorations on china, whether "over" or "under"

The correct response is "lay" but I'm unable to find any reference to a substance called "lay". Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks!
Read the whole clue.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
JeuParti wrote:Hi everyone,

Read the whole clue.
The answer is surely intended to be "glaze", not "lay". But I think the question writers had the wrong idea. You can paint the china before the glaze is applied--underglaze painting-- or after--overglaze painting. But you use paint, not glaze!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I've added another TOCer's regular game with Roy Holliday #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5356

Roy Holliday played David Shapiro & Peggy Friedman:
Spoiler

Roy prevented the runaway at clue 29 and had his familiar shocked look later when he won the game.
Peggy got extra value for her correct responses getting 5 rebonds.

I'll put in another S10 game tomorrow from the Golf tape, but I have found a few more games I have with TOCers without a regular appearance in the Archive to do next week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did TPH set up a second account to stalk old games?

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5355

Another TOC player gets a regular game in with Doug Molitor #1. Last year, we had a big discussion on here about use of a certain word when this FJ came up. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4857

People offended by that might want to avoid this game as the O-word was used in the movie detectives category and Doug twice responded in a fake Chinese accent. Probably not something one would do today, but this was 1987.

I didn't get enough Lach Trash for a fourth podium win, but I did pick up a nice shelving system.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:People offended by that might want to avoid this game as the O-word was used in the movie detectives category and Doug twice responded in a fake Chinese accent. Probably not something one would do today, but this was 1987.
I don't know why people find the O-word offensive. Last year, I went on several dates with a young lady who had immigrated from China. That was the term she used to describe herself. If it's okay for her, it's okay for me.

Actually, she pronounced it a bit different. Like as if the 'r's and 'l's were switched around.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:Did TPH set up a second account to stalk old games?
Just curious why you'd say that
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Because one poster has asked several questions in this thread in a manner similar to you, ones where closer reading of the clue or knowledge of something fairly well-known would have given it to them.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is another S10 game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5358

I think I hear sirens.

Gary Walters played Roberta Hyman & Addison Goodman:
Spoiler

I don't usually comment on the player stories, but this game had a wonderful contrast and perhaps just result. Addison talked about his work with homeless and unemployed people training them for restaurant work while Gary and his brother threw a party that included 200 bottles of champagne and 900 people.

(Roberta's probably barely raised an eyebrow in 1993 while in 2016 I can imagine the FB crowd having a reaction. Roberta's parents were out of town and she was playing a game of strip poker with neighborhood friends when she (9 years old) answered the door and Ed McMahon was there. Roberta said Ed did not have a check [laughter] and clarified that it was during Ed's pitchman days and that he worked for her family.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yay! I just barely remember that game, mostly that Addison had dreadlocks and won with a small total. Among the things I forgot was FJ, which I managed to pull off this time. I also thought of heliotropes first, which I guess is my go-to for a Greek-named flower (sorry, narcissus, it's not all about you). It took thinking of measuring devices to find the root word to work from.

I remember looking at old discussions of the 2007 ToC and seeing a similar contrast drawn between Sara Terrell and Andrew Rostan's interviews, but the interviews weren't transcribed, so it was left to my imagination.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5360

Doug Molitor #4 as he plays FJ by himself with Alex cutting the music short when he was done writing his question.

He did give them a sporting chance, going to the bottom of the last category left with time running out.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

@Mark: Just outta curiosity, what were talked about in the contestant interviews in the S8 premiere?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5360

Doug Molitor #4 as he plays FJ by himself with Alex cutting the music short when he was done writing his question.

He did give them a sporting chance, going to the bottom of the last category left with time running out.
Is that the right response for Stupid Answers for $200?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No, it was CK. I can't fix it right now.
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Because one poster has asked several questions in this thread in a manner similar to you, ones where closer reading of the clue or knowledge of something fairly well-known would have given it to them.

Hi Bamaman! I'm pretty sure you are referring to me in this post so I thought I'd take a moment to explain/apologize regarding the questions I've been posting on occasion.

I'm new to the U.S. and to Jeopardy and I am finding that the Jeopardy Archive, and the show itself of course, are excellent ways to familiarize myself with American culture, history, geography, etc. I've been going through some of the archive's games, both old and new, and sometimes, especially with old games, I don't always understand the clue or the response. I thought it would be ok to post a question here once in a while, as you all seem to be very smart people and lifelong fans of the show. So far, I've received answers to all my questions :) While some of the questions I've asked may seem easy, they are not always for a foreigner, especially the older clues.

In any case, if my occasional posts have been annoying or deemed inappropriate, I'd be happy to stop. I've been trying to only post once a week or so and I've always had a helpful person answer my queries, but I don't want to bog down the thread or annoy any of you either. So let me know. If it's ok for me to continue posting the occasional question/clue that I'd like more details about, I'd really appreciate it. I think we all have the same goal, to further our knowledge, and I'm just not quite at the same level as you guys are yet, which is why I've been asking for some help :) Thanks.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not a problem asking questions, glad you are using the archive to learn things. I did not know your background, I apologize if you took offense.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not funny to those waiting for the Archive to be updated with Season 32 games, but I think it's funny that more 1987 games have been added this week than ones from 2016. I promise not to add anything from 1987 on Friday.