Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Robert K S »

Haha, welcome, Tom!
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Peregrinus92 wrote:Hi, my name is Tom.

I grew up in Oklahoma and now I reside near Washington DC. Recently I got to attend the taping at DAR Constitution Hall of some of the upcoming Power Players shows. That was a lot of fun.

I have enjoyed the privilege of playing Jeopardy! 13 times since 1989 (http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2751). My reflexes ain't what they used to be.

Tom Cubbage
Welcome to the board, Tom. Big fan of yours, in all honesty.
kaberi
Valued Contributor

Post by kaberi »

Hi, my name is Kaberi and I'm one of the teachers that is participating in this year's teachers tournament.
I was recently pointed here by another one of the teachers in said tournament. This is my first time in this particular board so I'm still getting to know it, but I have participated in other similar boards before.
Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Hi,

I don't think I've ever formally introduced myself, though I've been somewhat active on this board for about two years. My name is Michael, and I'll be appearing in the Season 33 Teen Tournament this September! I live in Connecticut, and I'm a high school student.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

geolawyerman wrote:Hi,

I don't think I've ever formally introduced myself, though I've been somewhat active on this board for about two years. My name is Michael, and I'll be appearing in the Season 33 Teen Tournament this September! I live in Connecticut, and I'm a high school student.
Hey! I think we've talked on here before (I definitely remember you kicking my butt in last year's SHC), but I wanted to say hi as another semi-active teenage boardie. Congrats and retro luck on the show!
jsterlacci
Contributor

Post by jsterlacci »

I should probably introduce myself!

I'm a contestant in the Teachers Tournament -- I played on Tuesday!
Last edited by jsterlacci on Wed May 04, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

nightreign wrote:

Hey! I think we've talked on here before (I definitely remember you kicking my butt in last year's SHC), but I wanted to say hi as another semi-active teenage boardie. Congrats and retro luck on the show!
As the third of teens who has yet to be on the Teen Tournament, welcome, and retro GL.
Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Ryno »

Oh, hey there. During my time on JBoard, I Didn't know that you were a teen. With a handle like geolawyerman, I thought you were a crusty old attorney. I saw a taping at DAR Hall last month (first three games taped), so maybe I saw your QF game. All the best. :)
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Ryno wrote:

Oh, hey there. During my time on JBoard, I Didn't know that you were a teen. With a handle like geolawyerman, I thought you were a crusty old attorney. I saw a taping at DAR Hall last month (first three games taped), so maybe I saw your QF game. All the best. :)
I'm on Friday's, actually, but thanks! A friend started calling me "lawyerman" a long time ago because I was reading so many John Grisham books. I added the prefix for a username somewhere, and have used it as my handle on various sites ever since.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

goroshnik wrote:Howdy! Christopher here, from the western Chicago suburb of Carol Stream (fun fact - the name of the city "Carol Stream" comes from an actual living person named Carol Stream - her dad started a subdivision in the 1950's and named it after his daughter. There's a possibility that it might be the ONLY current US city with the moniker of a living person's full name, but I can't verify that.)

I finally made it to my first in-person Jeopardy audition just last month in Chicago - I've been trying the online tests for the last three years - so I'll be wading in the Pool from now until the end of 2016, although fingers are crossed that I get The Call before then. ;)

I've tried out for WWTBAM every time the road auditions have come to the Chicago area, and I've passed that particular test either 3 or 4 times. A few years ago I advanced to the "second interview" - the one they record on video - but nothing came of it. I also came a step away a few times from being one of the "fastest finger" folks back when Regis was making the rounds.

There was a VH1 game show back in 2006 called "World Series of Pop Culture" that I tried out for with a few pop culture geek friends of mine. We easily aced the 50-question test, but were probably too normal during the interview portion - we weren't the "act goofy and outrageous" types that the show's producers seemed to be looking for. If it were just the test that got you on the show, we'd have made it easily... but I guess that's the way it is for a LOT of us here.

Locally, I'm a HUGE fan of pub trivia - I've played pretty regularly week in and week out in the western burbs since 2004, and in true Rainman fashion, I've kept notebooks of ALL of the trivia contests I've taken part in since then. Just a couple of hours ago, I racked up my 200th win at this particular pub quiz, but what I like the best about this achievement is that I've won with nearly 90 other people on my teams over the years. I love playing with new people and finding out what their particular strengths are, why they like trivia, etc.

So if you're in the western Chicago burbs and are ever in need of a trivia fix, send an email my way and I'll get you on the team! ;)
As you could see my my pic, I think I need to update this. ;)

Got "The Call" in early March of 2016, taped on March 22nd, and my episode appeared on June 17th.

Answered a perfect 11-0 on the ones I was able to buzz in on, but that's not nearly enough to win. Needed to take more risks, but it was a rough DJ board for me. Still got FJ right and got my score over 10K, but it was a distant third to two solid players.

But as least I was the first player on Jeopardy to ever successfully answer, "What is Zootopia?" ;)
frugalpapillion

Post by frugalpapillion »

My name is Joe and I'm 28 years old. I played baseball most of my life and played 5 years in the minor leagues with the Chicago Cubs making it to the AA level. After baseball finished two years ago I've felt very much without a purpose. I got into trivia a few years ago and have recently started playing on a team at my local BWW and enjoying it a lot. I love being able to compete in something again and having a team. I also am curious and like learning so trivia is pretty perfect for me though I didn't do quiz bowl or anything growing up. I look forward to meeting clever people on here.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

frugalpapillion wrote:My name is Joe and I'm 28 years old. I played baseball most of my life and played 5 years in the minor leagues with the Chicago Cubs making it to the AA level. After baseball finished two years ago I've felt very much without a purpose. I got into trivia a few years ago and have recently started playing on a team at my local BWW and enjoying it a lot. I love being able to compete in something again and having a team. I also am curious and like learning so trivia is pretty perfect for me though I didn't do quiz bowl or anything growing up. I look forward to meeting clever people on here.
Joe, that's a great story you've got. I used to go to A ball games in Daytona back when the Cubs had a farm team there. I would occasionally get to see one of those players (like Kevin Orry) make it to Wrigley, where I'd also go occasionally. You're also a role model for my 11 year old son who's an honor student and an All-Star shortstop for his team (and itching to get onto Kids Week Jeopardy)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Woof wrote:You're also a role model for my 11 year old son who's an honor student and an All-Star shortstop for his team (and itching to get onto Kids Week Jeopardy)
Oh, that's too bad -- J! wants a pitcher, not a belly itcher.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

trainman wrote:
Woof wrote:You're also a role model for my 11 year old son who's an honor student and an All-Star shortstop for his team (and itching to get onto Kids Week Jeopardy)
Well, he's itching to pitch, too. But since I don't coach him... :evil:
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Hi, I'm Kerry (but not that Kerry). Long time lurker, but just recently officially joined the JBoard. I currently live in Indianapolis, IN working as an automotive engineer. I've loved Jeopardy! for as long as I can remember and have taken the test countless times. I was captain of my academic team/quiz bowl in high school and frequented the Cincinnati bar trivia circuit in college. I've slowly been discovering new places to play and get my "fix" in Indy, but the scene just isn't as ubiquitous as it was in Cincy. I recently got "The Call" to be on Millionaire, so that puts me one step closer to my J! dream. If you want to know anything else, let me know!
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

trainman wrote:
I grew up in Jersey, and we used that chant at games. Always thought it was a regional thing.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Blue Lion wrote:
trainman wrote:
I grew up in Jersey, and we used that chant at games. Always thought it was a regional thing.
I grew up in central California during the '80s, and it was common there (along with the companion "we want a catcher, not a belly scratcher").

I've always wanted to be able to get to the bottom of this sort of thing. Before the Internet, how did things like this, "what's grosser than gross" jokes, etc. become so widespread? The pathology of these sorts of cultural memes would be fascinating.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Blue Lion wrote:
trainman wrote:
I learned it in Tulsa in 1973.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:
trainman wrote:
I learned it in Tulsa in 1973.
Someone behind me shouted it at PNC Park during the Pirates/Cubs game last week.
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

I'm Jurimetrician (after my favorite National Spelling Bee word), aka John Dale -- I go by my first and middle names.

As a youngster I was a tiny trivia terror: National Spelling Bee at age 9, state Academic Decathlon Individual Overall champ at age 13, you get the picture. In my (under 2000 students, engineering) college's one and only trip to College Bowl Nationals, I was an individual All-Star.

I also was a charisma black hole, so I never showed up on the Jeopardy! Teen Tournament or WWTBAM College Week or anything like that.

After college, work took over my life. Once I got an in-person Jeopardy! tryout, but I was pretty miserable and flunked the "be interesting" part. (Aside from Ms. Maggie -- what a force of nature! -- all I really remember was an Army captain from Fort Hood helping me stay calm. I looked him up later. He got on the show and was a two-time champ.)

About two-and-a-half years ago, I escaped my all-consuming job and found one for the same pay with far fewer hours. Since then I've improved my self-presentation, confidence, being someone people actually want to be around, etc. etc. I'm still a work in progress, but I had my first semi-success when I landed in the contestant pool for 500 Questions Season 2. I was one of only three people in the pool without game show experience, and the only one not active in trivia. I didn't get to play, but I met a lot of really awesome people (one of whom is getting her Jeopardy! break on the 26th) and it's looking like I'll get to play in Learned League 70.

That's about it. Hope I didn't bore you.