Thursday, July 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7344, 2016-07-14

CONTESTANTS
Ellen Corrigan, a law clerk from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ken Fischer, an attorney from New York, New York
Sue Baker, a medical coder from Madison, Wisconsin (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. There was nobody more surprised at Sue Baker's victory on yesterday's program than sue baker herself.

[Sue laughs.]

Alex: But today, she's the returning champion. So you have to feel very confident.

Sue: No.

Alex: Right? No?

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh. Well, that's good news for Ellen and Ken, your challengers. Let's see how it all works out for you guys. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here our your category, players, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COLLEGE NEWSPAPERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
16th CENTURY AMERICA (5/5)
FAMOUS GINGERS (5/5)
HEALTH & MEDICINE (5/5)
PLAYS & PLAYWRIGHTS (4/5)
SONG WORDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ken: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Sue: 11 R, 0 W
Ellen: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sue: $3,400
Ken: $3,200
Ellen: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ellen Corrigan is a law clerk from Pennsylvania who, in her spare time, likes to relax by doing what kind of work?

Ellen: I know how to sew, since about middle school.

Alex: And what in particular do you sew?

Ellen: Lately, most of my projects have been Halloween costumes for my 6-year-old goddaughter. Um, one of the more recent and difficult things she had me make her was a princess dress with a very poufy skirt. Uh, but I do like to say that since I've turned her into a princess, that I am qualified to be a fairy godmother.

Alex: Oh, well, good for you. Make a costume for yourself.

Ellen: That'll be the next one.

Alex: That would be a special one, yes.

Alex: Ken Fischer is an attorney, not a law clerk. And used to be a long distance runner?

Ken: Yes, uh, in junior high school and high school, I ran distance. And, uh, high school, I set about 10 school records. And in my junior year at Archbishop Molly High School in Queens County, we won the New York state championships in cross-country.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Sue Baker is a medical coder from Wisconsin who, while in Sydney, was saved from... John Lennon?

Sue: Yes.

Alex: What was all that about? How were you saved from John?

Sue: I was--it was noon, midday in Sydney. I was walking back to the hotel, and some man grabbed my arm by the wrist and said, "Mum and I need you to come back to the flat for tea." And I said, "And who would Mum be, then?" And he said, "Well, I'm John Lennon, and mum and I need you to come back to the apartment." And since this was 1991, I'm thinking it probably wasn't him.

[Laughter]

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Sue: And so I was trying to figure out how to get out--away from him, and some man in a gray suit, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, came up and broke the grip on him and he said, "You're in trouble. Run." And... I did. And I kind of looked back and I couldn't see the man, so I don't know if it was a good samaritan or a guardian angel.

Alex: A guardian angel.

Sue: I like that one better.

Alex: Yes.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Sue had $6,400, Ken had $5,200, and Ellen was at $2,400. Ken wagered $1,800.

COLLEGE NEWSPAPERS $800: The Rebel Yell (out West)
(Alex: You are right. UNLV. The Runnin' Rebels.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLAYS & PLAYWRIGHTS $800: Pirandello's "Sei personaggi in cerca d'autore", known as this in English, invented "theater within the theater"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ken: $8,000
Sue: $6,400
Ellen: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARCHITECTURE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STOCK SYMBOLS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MORE FUNNY THAN SCARY (3/5)
BIBLICAL EQUINES (4/5)
WHERE'S WALD? (5/5)
"O" (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with that letter.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ellen: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Ken: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sue: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ellen snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Sue had $7,600, Ken had $12,000, and Ellen was at $12,000. Ellen wagered $4,000.

STOCK SYMBOLS $1200: ANF:
This retailer known for its sexy "brand representatives"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ken who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Sue had $10,000, Ken had $11,200, and Ellen was at $17,600. Ken wagered $6,400.

ARCHITECTURE $1200: Of the 3 classical Greek architectural orders, this one named for a city is the most decorative

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MORE FUNNY THAN SCARY $1200: A human who's infiltrated the enemy commits the faux pas of asking for ketchup in this 1978 horror spoof
(Ken: What is Scream?)
(Alex: What is [*]? You gotta watch out for them.)

MORE FUNNY THAN SCARY $2000: The lovable title pair are mistaken for serial killers in "Tucker & Dale vs." this

ARCHITECTURE $1600: In the '60s it was D.C.'s 1st mixed-use development & the only U.S. project by Rome Olympics architect Luigi Moretti
(Alex: Washington D.C.'s [*] complex.)

ARCHITECTURE $2000: The name of this uppermost part of an entablature is from the Latin for "crow", for its resemblance to a crow's beak
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go now to deal with this last category, Ken.)

BIBLICAL EQUINES $1200: Joel in the Old Testament & this author of a New Testament book both mention locusts that look like horses
(Ken: What is Revelation?)
(Alex: Looking for the author, and that is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ellen: $20,400
Ken: $18,400
Sue: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CIVIL WAR HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Ellen: Wager $16,401 to cover Ken.
Ken: You have to wager $1,601 to cover Sue's doubled score, but certainly no more than $8,399, so as to force Sue to be right to have a chance at winning.
Sue: Think about risking $6,000 or less, thereby beating Ellen on the Triple Stumper (should Ellen wager to cover Ken's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 4 prewar states that permitted slavery but did not secede, it was the largest in area & latest to join the Union

FINAL SCORES
Sue: $10,000 - $9,999 = $1 (What is Texas?) (3rd place)
Ken: $18,400 - $17,600 = $800 (What is Kentucky) (2nd place)
Ellen: $20,400 - $16,401 = $3,999 (What is Tennessee Texas?) (New champion: $3,999)
(Alex: Sounds like an easy subject, but a difficult Final, I believe.)
(Alex: The correct response--[*]. Kentucky was one of those four states, but it was not the largest.)

[ADDENDUM: The other 2 states were Delaware & Maryland.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ellen: $17,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ken: $12,200, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Sue: $10,000, 14 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $39,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Ken: 24/60 = .400
Ellen: 16/59 = .271
Sue: 14/58 = .241
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
16th CENTURY AMERICA $600: While in California in 1579, this circumnavigator held the first Protestant religious service in the New World
(Ellen: Who is Magellan?)

16th CENTURY AMERICA $1000: Hundreds of years before the Marines got there, this South Carolina island was settled by French Huguenots in 1562
[Applause for Ken's run of the category]

PLAYS & PLAYWRIGHTS $400: This playwright spent many years living in Italy & Germany before returning home to Norway a literary hero in 1891

HEALTH & MEDICINE $600: (I'm New York Times investigative reporter Dr. Sheri Fink.) In a 2014 series called "The Ebola Ward", I chronicled the disease's outbreak from an American clinic in this country with strong historic links to the U.S.

SONG WORDS $600: The "Battle" one "Of The Republic" begins, "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord"
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute now.)

SONG WORDS $800: Also a seasonal song, it was a top 10 U.S. girl's first name from 1936 to 1950, but not since
(Ken: What is autumn?)

MORE FUNNY THAN SCARY $400: Something strange is in the neighborhood again, so a new breed of help is on the way in this retooled 2016 film
(Alex: [*]. All women. Opening this weekend.)

WHERE'S WALD? $800: Hermannsdenkmal is a monument to Arminius, who defeated three legions of this army in Teutoburger Wald in the 1st century

WHERE'S WALD? $1600: Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a coat of arms on the monitor.) The coat of arms of the Austrian city is adorned by 3 spruce trees & 3 golden spheres that represent this festive saint, the Bishop of Myra

STOCK SYMBOLS $1600: GSK:
This big pharmaceutical company
(Ken: What is, uh, GlakoSmith... Kline?)
(Alex: That's it. Not Glako, but Glaxo.)

BIBLICAL EQUINES $2000: French engraver Gustav Dore made a real revelation, depicting Death on this horse, as mentioned in Revelation

CORRECT RESPONSES
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
Six Characters in Search of an Author
Ambercrombie & Fitch
Corinthian
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Evil
Watergate
the cornice
John
Missouri
Sir Francis Drake
Parris Island
(Henrik) Ibsen
Liberia
a hymn
carol
Ghostbusters
the Roman army
Saint Nicholas
GlaxoSmithKline
a pale horse
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CIVIL WAR HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 4 prewar states that permitted slavery but did not secede, it was the largest in area & latest to join the Union

Sue Baker: 10000-9999=1
Ken Fischer: 18400-17600=800
Ellen Corrigan: 20400-16401=3999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Missouri (Sue - Texas) (Ken - Kentucky) (Ellen - Tennessee Texas)
Daily Doubles
Ken: 5200+1800
Ellen: 12000+4000
Ken: 11200+6400

Coryats
Sue: 10000
Ken: 12200
Ellen: 17600

Combined: 39,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wow, that was quite a horse race at the end of the DJ round! :D

I guess Ken's not a fan of The Final Wager. Painful to watch someone snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like that. I wonder if (and when) he figured out what he'd done to himself.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm expecting great things from Ellen in the days ahead! I knew she was gutsy when she made that $4000 wager on stock symbols, which could be asking for anything, and which were written with a profusion of deceptive symbols containing letters not in the company initials, e.g., ANF for Abercrombie & Fitch.

FJ was instaget for me, and then I ran through the remaining border states (Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky) to assure myself that all were smaller and older than Missouri. The clue pre-war was unnecessary since West Virginia is much smaller than Missouri.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

2 wins, pissed away. Yikes. Keith will not be happy.

Me and the writers need to have a chat. Autobahn for 2k? Pale horse for 2k, with a picture!?

Not quite instaget FJ, but close.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Not quite instaget FJ, but close.
Yeah, although I have to admit I had no idea that MO was almost twice as large KY.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I thought Missouri seemed like a fairly easy answer, though Kentucky was a decent guess. I am surprised that two contestants picked Texas, though.
xxaaaxx wrote:Me and the writers need to have a chat. Autobahn for 2k? Pale horse for 2k, with a picture!?
I noticed this, too. A lot of the bottom row clues seemed unusually easy today.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Ellen on her win. I had 49 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, evil, Watergate, and John. I also got FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote:2 wins, pissed away. Yikes. Keith will not be happy.
What do you have against Sue's wager? Should she have assumed that Ken would wager irrationally?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

opusthepenguin wrote:
What do you have against Sue's wager? Should she have assumed that Ken would wager irrationally?
Yes. Then again, I've railed against the 2nd place suicide wager a million times and was expecting one here so...perhaps I'm not the best person to ask for an unbiased answer :lol:
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

I liked how Ellen calmly worked her way to the lead and then fought to retain it in DJ, so I'm glad she won. But those huge wagers from second and third, though, ouch.
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote:What do you have against Sue's wager? Should she have assumed that Ken would wager irrationally?
A rational wager from Ken with a correct answer locks Sue out by $1 while still forcing one of them to answer correctly in order to win. Don't have the amounts handy, could Sue have wagered ~$5k to move ahead of Ken on a RW scenario while still winning on a TS with the typical shutout bet from the lead? It's gotta be close if I recall. But yeah, her wager was sub-optimal.

But the mostly unrealized mistake was Ken's wager on the college DD. That was free money if you knew even a little about NCAA athletics, which he seemed to especially since he knew Cougars = Washington St. If he makes the correct (everything - I think an additional $3400) wager I'm pretty sure he's leading going into FJ.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,600
44 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: John

I was stumped on this FJ! I jotted down Texas with a few seconds to go, then almost changed to Missouri but didn't. Phooey.
Golf wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:What do you have against Sue's wager? Should she have assumed that Ken would wager irrationally?
A rational wager from Ken with a correct answer locks Sue out by $1 while still forcing one of them to answer correctly in order to win. Don't have the amounts handy, could Sue have wagered ~$5k to move ahead of Ken on a RW scenario while still winning on a TS with the typical shutout bet from the lead? It's gotta be close if I recall. But yeah, her wager was sub-optimal.
The pre-FJ scores were:
Ellen - $20,400
Ken - $18,400
Sue - $10,000

It seems to me that the most likely rational wager from Ken is $2,001, which leaves him with $16,399 if he is wrong. Sue must therefore wager at least $6,400, which leaves her with $3,600 if she is wrong. Ellen's miss with a shutout bet left her with $3,999, so there was no way for Sue to cover both scenarios. She was right to go for broke.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Golf

Post by Golf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: The pre-FJ scores were:
Ellen - $20,400
Ken - $18,400
Sue - $10,000

It seems to me that the most likely rational wager from Ken is $2,001, which leaves him with $16,399 if he is wrong. Sue must therefore wager at least $6,400, which leaves her with $3,600 if she is wrong. Ellen's miss with a shutout bet left her with $3,999, so there was no way for Sue to cover both scenarios. She was right to go for broke.
Thanks for the scores. As it played out (which means nothing as far as proper wagering goes) didn't Ellen bet too much and Sue's $3600 could have won?

That could beg the question, how often does the leader make the perfect shutout wager? A lot of the time it means nothing as far as winning chances goes, but it does make a difference frequently enough.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: I knew she was gutsy when she made that $4000 wager on stock symbols, which could be asking for anything, and which were written with a profusion of deceptive symbols containing letters not in the company initials, e.g., ANF for Abercrombie & Fitch.
How in the world is ANF 'deceptive'???
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Sue gets the last clue, we have a tie in FJ. We could have had a $1 winner.

I got FJ pretty quickly and was shocked it was a TS. I think this will poll higher than that TS we had the big discussion about a couple weeks ago which I have forgotten what it was about.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

alietr wrote:
floridagator wrote: I knew she was gutsy when she made that $4000 wager on stock symbols, which could be asking for anything, and which were written with a profusion of deceptive symbols containing letters not in the company initials, e.g., ANF for Abercrombie & Fitch.
How in the world is ANF 'deceptive'???
The N for and. There are easier ticker symbols (WMT, TGT, DIS, MSFT, AAPL) they could have asked for and tougher ones too (BAC, CVX, Z, XOM, UTX, VZ).
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

N is a common shorthand for and in company names.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Me and the writers need to have a chat. Autobahn for 2k? Pale horse for 2k, with a picture!?

Not quite instaget FJ, but close.
Ken pissed away 2 wins? I counted 3.

1. Betting $1800 instead of the full $5200 on the first round DD. On an easy speed category. Which he was dominating.

2. The nonsensical tying DD bet very late in the second round, instead of betting everything. When a miss finishes him off in either scenario. On another category he was clearly good at.

3. The FJ wager. To be fair, this is actually the most defensible of his decisions. While I would have gone with the minimum bet so that 3rd-place couldn't be ahead of me in case of a mutual miss, he clearly felt confident with the category.

A poor choice, but not as bad as 1. and 2.

As for FJ, I went with the incorrect Texas.
Last edited by IronNeck on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.