Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I hate to sound whiny, but I'm really starting to feel like I've somehow been blackballed from auditioning. It's one thing not to get an invite year after year despite passing the test. That's explainable by bad luck. It's quite another not to get an invite despite passing the test and being referred by one of this season's contestants. What's the point of asking for referrals if you're not going to use them?

I have vented. Carry on. Congrats to those who have received The Email for OKC. Go get 'em.
Go ahead and vent. Since 2008 I have passed the online quiz 6 times without getting an invite to an audition. *deep sigh*

In the era before the online quiz I registered for regional auditions 9 times without an invite (although, to be fair, I did get invited to a few of them). I think it has something to do with a WHOLE-FREAKIN-LOT of people who want the same thing we do.

Ya think?
Claudetty
Contributor

Post by Claudetty »

[quote="BigDaddyMatty"]I got The Email! OKC, here I come!

Congratulations!
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Go get it, Matty!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I got The Email! OKC, here I come!

Many thanks to Jillyjill, without whose persistence this likely would not have happened.
Congrats! The CCs were able to change my date so I'll be there too :)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I got The Email! OKC, here I come!

Many thanks to Jillyjill, without whose persistence this likely would not have happened.
Hooray! I hope you can figure out how to use the signalling device with boxing gloves on.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats to BDM and Lisa. Hope you make it to next stage too.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BobF

Post by BobF »

AleBelly wrote:Online test: mid-April 2015
Audition: Oct 7 2015 in Boston
Got the call: early July 2016
Taping: early August 2016

The audition was interesting. I had just returned home from a business trip, had to pack and fly out that next morning to Boston. I packed my wife's slacks instead of mine (I had to pack in the dark and we share a closet), so I wore the jeans I flew in to the audition. Made for a nice story.

I got what they called "a tough question" right during the mock play, so perhaps that's what got me in. I probably only got 40 out of 50 on the written test, so I don't think that got me on.
Wow, best of luck to you! And also to BigDaddy and to Lisa on their auditions.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

Any word about Minneapolis auditions this year? My brother (also a teacher) is still hopeful. He is much better at trivia than I am. He was on "Win Ben Stein's Money" ages ago.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

JillyJill wrote:Any word about Minneapolis auditions this year? My brother (also a teacher) is still hopeful. He is much better at trivia than I am. He was on "Win Ben Stein's Money" ages ago.
I haven't seen anything about there or Raleigh, but we've seen them show up mid season in cities where we've given up.

Anyone know from the list this year which cities are yet to be seen?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
richardt
Contributor

Post by richardt »

I compiled this from what has been posted here: Given the Audition cities and the month auditions were scheduled. If it says NOT YET there is still hope.

Washington, D.C. in April
New York in June
Raleigh/ Durham NOT YET
Los Angeles NOT YET
Detroit in June
Charleston in May
Oklahoma City in August
Minneapolis NOT YET
Las Vegas in July
San Diego NOT YET
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

richardt wrote:I compiled this from what has been posted here: Given the Audition cities and the month auditions were scheduled. If it says NOT YET there is still hope.

Washington, D.C. in April
New York in June
Raleigh/ Durham NOT YET
Los Angeles NOT YET
Detroit in June
Charleston in May
Oklahoma City in August
Minneapolis NOT YET
Las Vegas in July
San Diego NOT YET
And there've been some years when they've made two separate visits to NYC (like, in different months), although I don't know if they still do that.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

Got the call! :D I thought my (second) time in the pool had expired, so there's hope for those of you who are still waiting -- the "18 months" may not be a *totally* firm deadline.

Since I'm a local, I don't know if I'll actually play next week, or be brought back later. (Kind of hoping for the latter, since this is pretty short notice and I feel underprepared!) I was told the odds of my playing were "50/50," but I can't figure out how that can be. The odds of an alternate playing should actually be much lower than 50/50, right...?

I'm gambling on the assumption that I'm not playing (this time), and opting to wake up roughly around the hour I usually go to bed and fight my way through rush hour traffic from SFV to Culver City instead of springing for a room at the Doubletree. Hopefully I won't regret this decision.... :?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Congratulations!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Go get em!
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Good luck! And most importantly, have fun!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

worldwidewebster wrote:Got the call! :D I thought my (second) time in the pool had expired, so there's hope for those of you who are still waiting -- the "18 months" may not be a *totally* firm deadline.

Since I'm a local, I don't know if I'll actually play next week, or be brought back later. (Kind of hoping for the latter, since this is pretty short notice and I feel underprepared!) I was told the odds of my playing were "50/50," but I can't figure out how that can be. The odds of an alternate playing should actually be much lower than 50/50, right...?

I'm gambling on the assumption that I'm not playing (this time), and opting to wake up roughly around the hour I usually go to bed and fight my way through rush hour traffic from SFV to Culver City instead of springing for a room at the Doubletree. Hopefully I won't regret this decision.... :?
I think it might actually be 50/50, something like 2 locals there for 1 spot. But I could be wrong, you gotta do what you gotta do
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

omgwheelhouse wrote:
worldwidewebster wrote:Got the call! :D I thought my (second) time in the pool had expired, so there's hope for those of you who are still waiting -- the "18 months" may not be a *totally* firm deadline.

I think it might actually be 50/50, something like 2 locals there for 1 spot. But I could be wrong, you gotta do what you gotta do
Ahh...I must have been mistaken about how many contestants are in the greenroom. I thought in "Brainiac" Ken Jennings said there were 13...I guess there must be 12, then.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

worldwidewebster wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:

Ahh...I must have been mistaken about how many contestants are in the greenroom. I thought in "Brainiac" Ken Jennings said there were 13...I guess there must be 12, then.
They used to have 13. They did when I was an alternate in 2009, and I think they changed it within the next two years.
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

seaborgium wrote:
worldwidewebster wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:

They used to have 13. They did when I was an alternate in 2009, and I think they changed it within the next two years.
Thanks for the info! Good to know.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

The 13 might come from 5 shows x 2 new players per show + 2 alternates+ 1 current champion = 13 players at the start of the day.