Tuesday, July 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7352, 2016-07-26

CONTESTANTS
Karen Lazar, a retired educator from Oceanside, New York
Monikka Mann, an innovation project manager from Katy, Texas
Pranjal Vachaspati, a Ph.D. student originally from Shaker Heights, Ohio (whose 5-day cash winnings total $121,688)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. There comes a time, I think, when audiences start looking at our Jeopardy! champions a little differently. "Hey, they're not lucky--they're good!" Ad I think Pranjal has made believers out of many of our Jeopardy! viewers. He's won a lot of money. Monikka and Karen, you gotta be really good today. All right, let's go to work in this Jeopardy! round. Here are your categories for today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CUPS (5/5)
HYBRID WORDS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will have a Greek and a Latin root.)
BOOKS BY CHAPTER TITLES (2/5)
THEY SERVED OUR COUNTRY (4/4)
EARTHQUAKES & VOLCANOES (4/4)
2016 PEOPLE'S CHOICE TV WINNERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pranjal: 11 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Monikka: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Karen: 5 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Monikka: $4,800
Pranjal: $1,800
Karen: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Karen Lazar is a retired educator from Oceanside, New York. And this lady never wanted to stray too far from home. You were a teacher and an administrator--

Karen: That's right.

Alex: For how many years?

Karen: For 33 years.

Alex: In the same school?

Karen: In the same school, and it's the same school I went to as a kid. So I graduated from high school, I came back after graduate school, I started in 1977 and I retired in 2010 after 33 years in the same place.

Alex: Good for you.

Karen: Thank you. Thank you.

Alex: That's a great story.

Alex: Monikka Mann is from Katy, Texas.

Monikka: Yes.

Alex: You are an innovation project manager whose daughter has come up with a great innovation.

Monikka: Yes, so um, like all little kids, they want a puppy. And sometimes puppies don't really do a good job of telling us--or we don't do a good job of listening--when they need to go outside. So we noticed our puppy Bitsy would always go piddle right next to the door. Like she would sit there and wait for someone to come open it, and my daughter, in frustration, after using the mop one too many times, said, "Wouldn't it be great if the dog could just tell me when she needs to go to the bathroom?" So she played around with some Lego Mindstorms, sensors, and a few other things, and put a little charm on the dog's collar. And she made it where she could record a voice, so whatever you want it to say, and whenever the dog would come near the door, it would say, "Hey, idiot, let me out!"

[Laughter]

Monikka: We put it near the cat food and it would say, "No, Bitsy, no!" because she really--dogs really love cat food, so.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Pranjal Vachaspati is our champion. Now, as a college student, you want to have fun.

Pranjal: Oh yeah.

Alex: And there's usually a refrigerator in the dorm. But in your case, there was more than one.

Pranjal: Yeah, so in addition to our dorm refrigerators, I had three mini-fridges in my room. One was for food, one was to maintain temperature control for home brewing, and one was to chill the keg of home brew.

[Laughter]

Alex: You must have been really popular.

Pranjal: I did all right.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pranjal found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Pranjal had $2,800, Monikka had $4,800, and Karen was at $1,200. Pranjal made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

HYBRID WORDS $800: Ritalin can help with this condition, from the Greek for "above" & the Latin for "doing"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
2016 PEOPLE'S CHOICE TV WINNERS $1000: This "royal" Fox series sounds like a horror show but took home the prize for New TV Comedy

BOOKS BY CHAPTER TITLES $1000: "The Battle of the Fangs"
(Alex: And the book is [*], by Jack London.)

BOOKS BY CHAPTER TITLES $200: "Of What Happened to the Ingenious Gentleman in the Inn Which He Took to Be a Castle"
(Pranjal: What is A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?)

BOOKS BY CHAPTER TITLES $600: "The Battle of Hogwarts"
(Karen: What is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?)
(Pranjal: What is Harry Potter 7?)
(Monikka: What is Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: And with that, we're going to wrap up this round. We're going to check on your response, Pranjal. I do not know if that one was number 7.)
(Monikka: It was.)
(Alex: It was? Well, thank you very much, Monikka. Why didn't you say so in the first place?)
[Pranjal's response was maintained as incorrect after the break, since "we needed the title of that Harry Potter book; it wasn't enough to just say number 7"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Pranjal: $6,400
Monikka: $4,400
Karen: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE AMAZING SPACE-MAN (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOD SAVE THE ENGLISH KING! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THEOLOGY BRANCHES (2/4)
POTPOURRI (5/5)
ACTORS & ACTRESSES (5/5)
WHAT A "HAM" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Karen: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Pranjal: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Monikka: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pranjal snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Pranjal had $8,800, Monikka had $4,800, and Karen was at $5,400. Pranjal wagered $3,800.

THE AMAZING SPACE-MAN $1200: U.S. astronaut candidates must complete training in ISS systems & this language likely to come in handy up there

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Pranjal who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Pranjal had $14,200, Monikka had $4,800, and Karen was at $5,400. Pranjal wagered $6,600.

GOD SAVE THE ENGLISH KING! $2000: Officially the king from 1820 to 1830, he had been de facto ruler since 1811 due to the insanity of his father

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEOLOGY BRANCHES $1600: Soteriology is the theological branch dealing with the nature & means of achieving this

THEOLOGY BRANCHES $2000: It's not saying you're sorry, it's the branch of theology dealing with the defense of established doctrine
(Pranjal: What is apology?)
(Monikka: What is apologism?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Pranjal: $22,400
Karen: $14,600
Monikka: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Pranjal: Wager $6,801 to cover Karen, but no more than $7,199 so as not to fall behind Monikka's doubled score.
Karen: You have the hope of surpassing Pranjal if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,801 to force Pranjal to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Monikka.
Monikka: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On his 1849 death, it was said he was "regarded rather with curiosity than admiration" & "few will be grieved"

FINAL SCORES
Monikka: $7,600 + $7,500 = $15,100 (Who is Edgar Allen Poe?) (2nd place)
Karen: $14,600 - $12,600 = $2,000 (Who was Mark Twan?) (3rd place)
Pranjal: $22,400 - $7,000 = $15,400 (Who was Thoreau?) (121689-day champion: $15,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Karen: $14,600, 14 R, 2 W
Pranjal: $13,200, 22 R (including 3 DDs), 8 W
Monikka: $7,600, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Pranjal: 22/61 = .361
Monikka: 14/58 = .241
Karen: 14/58 = .241
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CUPS $600: Both Percival and Indiana Jones had this cup as a focus of their search

CUPS $800: Elijah's cup holds wine at the seder on this holiday

CUPS $400: Two-handled trophies are sometimes called these amorous items; at one time, shared for drinking at marriages
(Pranjal: What are lovers' cups?)

CUPS $200: Why don't you build me up with the name of this lovely flower?

THEY SERVED OUR COUNTRY $400: He's seen here in uniform before his days of political service to Arizona

THEY SERVED OUR COUNTRY $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona.) The B-24 Liberator was the most-produced U.S. aircraft of WWII; pilots who flew it on hazardous bombing missions over Germany included Senator George McGovern and this star of It's a Wonderful Life

EARTHQUAKES & VOLCANOES $600: On Dec. 26, 2004 the energy equivalent of 23,000 atomic bombs was release after a 9.1 earthquake under this ocean
(Pranjal: What is the Pacific?)
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

2016 PEOPLE'S CHOICE TV WINNERS $400: Flip your chair around & tell us that this NBC reality show won for favorite competition TV show
(Pranjal: What is Dancing with the Stars?)

EARTHQUAKES & VOLCANOES $200: A 7.8 earthquake in April 2016, centered in this nation on the west coast of South America, injured more than 2,500
(Karen: What is Chile?)

POTPOURRI $2000: The 421 B.C. Peace of Nicias was a break in this decades-long war
(Pranjal: What is the Punic War?)

THEOLOGY BRANCHES $400: Angelology, the theological study of angels, is logically matched by this opposite -ology
(Pranjal: What is devilology?)

ACTORS & ACTRESSES $1600: This actress has been seen on Once and Again and CSI: NY

ACTORS & ACTRESSES $800: (Neil deGrasse Tyson gives the clue.) When this actress was floating around in zero-G in a 2013 Oscar-winning movie, was I the only one who noticed that her hair didn't float freely on her head?

THE AMAZING SPACE-MAN $1600: Astronaut Wally Schirra did a TV commercial for Actifed, this kind of drug that he used during one of his space flights
(Monikka: What is a [*]...)
(Alex: Right.)
(Monikka: Ephedrine...Okay.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
hyperactivity
Scream Queens
White Fang
Don Quixote
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Russian
George IV
salvation
apologetics
Edgar Allan Poe
the Holy Grail
Passover
loving cups
buttercup
(John) McCain
(Jimmy) Stewart
the Indian Ocean
The Voice
Ecuador
the Peleponnesian War
demonology
Sela Ward
Sandra Bullock
a sinus decongestant
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On his 1849 death, it was said he was “regarded rather with curiosity than admiration” & “few will be grieved”

Pranjal Vachaspati: 22400-7000=15400 (6x = $137,088)
Monikka Mann: 7600+7500=15100
Karen Lazar: 14600-12600=2000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Edgar Allan Poe (Pranjal – Thoreau) (Karen – Mark Twain)

Daily Doubles
Pranjal: 2800+2800
Pranjal: 8800+3800
Pranjal: 14200+6600

Coryats
Pranjal: 13200
Monikka: 7600
Karen: 14600

Combined: 35,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Don Quixote at $200?

Precalled Automobile in Hybrid Words.

The "Harry Potter 7" ruling was interesting. It was obviously an HP book, but I had no idea which, and saw no way to narrow it down without knowing the series inside-out.

Demonology was undervalued at $400. I almost negged with "Diabology".

No guess on FJ! I keep forgetting that Poe was American, or what timeframe he wrote in. Even worse, I was browsing some old threads where I brought this up before, and he still didn't register.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

For FJ, I wasted time thinking about the latter half of the clue rather than the date. About 10 seconds in it clicked: American author who died mid-century? Lets go with Poe. And THEN the rest of the clue made sense :roll: It probably should've been instaget, but eh whatever.

I would've been annoyed if they had let that "Harry Potter 7" bit slide, but I wonder if it deserved a BMS rather than an immediate neg.

Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Pranjal!
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats, Pranjal, on your sixth victory! I had 46 correct responses including these triple stumpers: White Fang, Don Quixote, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and salvation. I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Don Quixote at $200?
It makes sense that a chapter about a man confusing an inn for a castle would be in a novel about a man with delusions of knighthood.
TenPoundHammer wrote: The "Harry Potter 7" ruling was interesting. It was obviously an HP book, but I had no idea which, and saw no way to narrow it down without knowing the series inside-out.
The Battle of Hogwarts is essentially the climax of the series, so it's most likely in the final book. Of course, if you don't know the titles, you're out of luck.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

JemRiffster wrote:
It makes sense that a chapter about a man confusing an inn for a castle would be in a novel about a man with delusions of knighthood.
It does?
JemRiffster wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: The "Harry Potter 7" ruling was interesting. It was obviously an HP book, but I had no idea which, and saw no way to narrow it down without knowing the series inside-out.
The Battle of Hogwarts is essentially the climax of the series, so it's most likely in the final book. Of course, if you don't know the titles, you're out of luck.
I know the titles, but not the plots. Then again, I gave up after Goblet of Fire.
thethirdmoose
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by thethirdmoose »

I knew "deathly hallows" but it vanished from my brain as soon as I buzzed in.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JemRiffster wrote:
The clue got turned around in my head and I pictured a man confusing a castle for an inn. So I took a shot with Dracula.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
JemRiffster wrote:
The clue got turned around in my head and I pictured a man confusing a castle for an inn. So I took a shot with Dracula.
I can see how you could mistake a Knights Inn for a castle, at least:

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What a heartbreaking look on Monikka's face as she manages the sole get, briefly wonders if she might actually pull this thing off, and realizes that Pranjal didn't bet enough (and didn't need to) to give her a shot.

Pranjal, you heartless monster. :D Also, great game! Way to turn those DDs to your advantage. I think you should have been BMS'ed on Harry Potter 7. Would you have been able to cough up the title? If not, I think Monikka might have won. I suspect she went with Half-Blood Prince (i.e. Harry Potter 6) because 7 had been ruled out.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

opusthepenguin wrote:What a heartbreaking look on Monikka's face as she manages the sole get, briefly wonders if she might actually pull this thing off, and realizes that Pranjal didn't bet enough (and didn't need to) to give her a shot.

Pranjal, you heartless monster. :D Also, great game! Way to turn those DDs to your advantage. I think you should have been BMS'ed on Harry Potter 7. Would you have been able to cough up the title? If not, I think Monikka might have won. I suspect she went with Half-Blood Prince (i.e. Harry Potter 6) because 7 had been ruled out.
Interesting point..I have not thought about it.

After that second DJ DD, I thought the game is over. Good way to keep it interesting Pranjal... with those negs.

Twain was a bad miss. I wasn't confident in Poe, but that's all I got.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Anyone else bothered by the acceptance of "William" and not asking for more information?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lindap wrote:Anyone else bothered by the acceptance of "William" and not asking for more information?
I've given up on their BMS's (or lack thereof).
thethirdmoose
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by thethirdmoose »

lindap wrote:Anyone else bothered by the acceptance of "William" and not asking for more information?
I did think they would give a BMS there. I blanked on if there was a William II or not after William I (there was), and I would have supplied "of Orange". But William of Orange is commonly known as just "William" (frequently paired with "and Mary", and contrasted with "William the Conqueror", which was an earlier answer in the category), so I figured those combined meant they didn't have to ask.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thethirdmoose wrote:I did think they would give a BMS there. I blanked on if there was a William II or not after William I (there was)
3 more, actually. :)
thethirdmoose
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by thethirdmoose »

Sure, but not before William of Orange.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Ugh. I've been averaging $27k Coryats over the last 20 games (with very strict scoring), but I finished with a terrible $9,000 on this one. Too many wrong responses on high-dollar categories. I hope I got that one out of my system.

The only redeeming factor was the Poe instaget. His year of death of 1849 is firmly stuck in my head.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was amused by Monikka thinking she had a chance to win the game in the FJ! round. Monikka's chance to win may well have been that earlier Harry Potter clue.

Monikka looked like she was clamming when Karen rang in with Sorcerer's Stone. On the rebound Monikka looked to be trying to get in when Pranjal got in first. "Harry Potter 7" is an interesting case for a BMS and I don't know what is right or fair in that situation. When Pranjal was negged I do understand Monikka eliminating the last book and going for Harry Potter 6, I mean, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Monikka was not really disadvantaged in such a way that warrants an appeal or return. It's more unfortunate circumstances, especially if she would have gone with "Deathly Hallows" on the initial rebound.

Karen had Pranjal unseated if she solved the FJ! clue. Mark Twain? Come on, now.

More than once, which is more times than I like I have had a crossword fill of EAPOE, so I wrote E.A. Poe for my FJ! round response. 1849 jumped out at me as his death year and from there I felt the clue fit him just fine to turn off the thinking cap.

Thanks again to the secret bunker for the reasonable viewing hour. Last night's J! did not come on until 10:30 and was joined in progress at Alex's opening remarks.