Wednesday, July 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by The Talking Mime »

skullturf wrote:
Leander wrote:For FJ, I knew exactly who they were looking for - "That Lord with the Welsh name beginning with C who financed the King Tut expedition" - and went with Lord Cardigan :oops:
I'm sure that will be a common type of reaction to this FJ. I wrote down "Carnarvon", but I wasn't sure about the spelling, and I was worried that I might be misspelling it in a way that wouldn't be counted correct on the show (e.g. inserting or leaving out a consonant or a syllable).
"Carvernon" here. I knew who the clue was referring to, but I could not for the life of me remember his name exactly. Looks like it has tripped up a lot of us so I'll make the request for this to be on the weekend poll.

Sorry to see you go Pranjal, but great run!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm sure I had plenty of company in not even needing the close up of the baseball card to get Honus Wagner as that was an instaget as soon as the clue appeared.

Barbra had a gift DD clue asking for GWTW and then did not convert it to leave her in 2nd place for the FJ! round on a TS clue. From there she wagered low enough to win on Pranjal's miss. Zlatan was easily outplayed by his opponents, but still had a chance to win if he got Carnarvon.

Alex was right about 20TH CENTURY ENGLISH NOBILITY being a new category. My take on "NOBILITY" was that it meant no king or queen. From there I tried to think of earls, barons and lords during the break. My mind was not working well as I only had Lord Mountbatten in the pocket.

When I saw the clue I was grateful for one when I had no doubt who to write. I triple checked my spelling during think time knowing it was the kind of name when a letter mix-up that could equal a neg.

Yes, the poll will have an option about knowing the name, but not knowing the spelling.

On 4/24/14 there was a FJ! clue asking about Howard Carter and I had a poll option to see how many guessed Lord Carnarvon instead. There were takers. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1985
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I certainly knew who the card belonged to without seeing it.

Tough miss on GWTW, but she loses the game if she gets that right.

The FJ category also told me it wasn't a king or queen but I had no clue. I knew who Carter was and where they were, but that's it. Wrote down Lawrence of Arabia just to have something.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

My vague idea (with uncertain letters in parentheses) was Ca(e)rna(r)von. I wonder if someone who omitted the second r could have had a case to be ruled correct - the Earl himself likely spoke a non-rhotic dialect, and the British documentary narrators who first informed me of his name many years ago undoubtedly did. On the other hand, I cannot imagine a favorable ruling for someone who omitted the first r, which is technically just as justifiable.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

JillyJill wrote:Congrats to Barbara for savvy wagering in FJ. Her DD bet turned out to be good, too. I wish she'd have pulled out Gone with the Wind.
Savvy? She let third place in the game when she didn't have to. It wasn't the worst(suicide) wager, but it wasn't good either. I guess it could be described as so-so.

And a DD wager is either good or not when the wager is made, it can't "turn out to be good" by the way things played out.

It's rare when I get to emulate TPH, but NHO Lord Carnarvon. :oops:
MofoJeopardylover
Contributor

Post by MofoJeopardylover »

Well DNC went on 30minutes longer than it was scheduled on ABC so that means no Jeopardy in the West 10PM slot.

:cry: Channels like Cspan, CNN, MNBC, were made for conventions. Just wish they stuck to their time limit on ABC or put the Jeopardy episode on their site or Crackle.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MofoJeopardylover wrote:Well DNC went on 30minutes longer than it was scheduled on ABC so that means no Jeopardy in the West 10PM slot.

:cry: Channels like Cspan, CNN, MNBC, were made for conventions. Just wish they stuck to their time limit on ABC or put the Jeopardy episode on their site or Crackle.

It's 8:40 and he's still talking. Oh, he just wrapped it up. Even worse is ABC will still insist on showing the two hours of sitcom reruns. When that's over they either join J! in progress for about the FJ! round only or go straight to the local news.

NBC and CBS have new programming they have to get through with AGT, BB18, and American Gothic. One more night. One more night. Of course tomorrow night is guaranteed to go way long as well.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Golf wrote:
JillyJill wrote:Congrats to Barbara for savvy wagering in FJ. Her DD bet turned out to be good, too. I wish she'd have pulled out Gone with the Wind.
Savvy? She let third place in the game when she didn't have to. It wasn't the worst(suicide) wager, but it wasn't good either. I guess it could be described as so-so.
The wagering calc actually suggests she bet it all ("first equals second plus half of third") but yeah, if she was going to bet small, 1199 would've sufficed.
MofoJeopardylover
Contributor

Post by MofoJeopardylover »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MofoJeopardylover wrote:Well DNC went on 30minutes longer than it was scheduled on ABC so that means no Jeopardy in the West 10PM slot.

It's 8:40 and he's still talking. Oh, he just wrapped it up. Even worse is ABC will still insist on showing the two hours of sitcom reruns. When that's over they either join J! in progress for about the FJ! round only or go straight to the local news.

NBC and CBS have new programming they have to get through with AGT, BB18, and American Gothic. One more night. One more night. Of course tomorrow night is guaranteed to go way long as well.
Yeah they have reruns today so it makes no sense to show those, I get why they would show Bachelorette yesterday since it is new and for some reason is a big ratings grab for them, but showing reruns from the start instead of starting where the time is makes no sense. Yeah tomorrow no chance we get Jeopardy, my hope is the 1st set of reruns are from the RNC and DNC week.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,600
48 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Honus Wagner, dime, The Katzenjammer Kids, Gone With The Wind (DD), Beezus, penny

Congrats on your run, Pranjal. Very well done.

Maybe it's because I've been obsessed with the Damon/Affleck-produced The Runner all month, but I couldn't resist responding to the $200 clue in Fruit Stand with "How do you like them apples?"

On FJ!, I just knew that they were going to ask about King Tut's tomb. Luckily, the name I couldn't pull from the recesses of my brain was Howard Carter's, so at least I don't have to kick myself over that. Lord Carnarvon's name doesn't ring a bell at all. The miss was especially disappointing for me, though. From 6/3 to 7/25 I went 34/37 on FJ!, leaving me needing three of the last four to finish with a higher percentage this season than last. My twin misses yesterday and today have dashed those hopes.
MarkBarrett wrote:I'm sure I had plenty of company in not even needing the close up of the baseball card to get Honus Wagner as that was an instaget as soon as the clue appeared.
As soon as the clue came up, I confidently put Wagner's name down in the LT column of my scoring spreadsheet.
xxaaaxx wrote:Why didn't "coin" get a BMS? I know, trying to understand their BMS logic is a fool's errand.
The correct response was clearly some denomination of money, so BMSing Pranjal's response would have been like BMSing "Who is a person?" on a clue where the correct response is someone's name.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote:
I'd say it was better than the wager at least 75% of players would make in her position. That's a bit sad, but it does make the wager savvy from a certain perspective.
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

Leander wrote:For FJ, I knew exactly who they were looking for - "That Lord with the Welsh name beginning with C
I knew that I knew this from the FJ a few years ago where a super-champion guessed Carnarvan when the answer was Carter. But I was watching it tonight silently with no closed captioning at bar trivia after a few beers, and it killed me that I couldn't think of the answer, only mustered: "oh it's the guy that financed Carter's expedition to King Tut's tomb." Just got home and got it at "welsh name beginning with C" from your comment. I'm going to count that as a get, in my head at least. :D
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

ron wrote:
Leander wrote:For FJ, I knew exactly who they were looking for - "That Lord with the Welsh name beginning with C
I knew that I knew this from the FJ a few years ago where a super-champion guessed Carnarvan when the answer was Carter.
It was Julia Collins game 4.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

After FJ when Alex was explaining that Howard Carter was the man who discovered King Tut's tomb I bet all three contestants were thinking "well no S Sherlock!"

This one was certainly a you know it or you don't. Luckily I knew it from having a lifelong interest in the subject.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Thanks to the delays, I missed the entirety of this game except for FJ. Ugh, and I was really looking forward to the categories, too.

As for FJ, I didn't get it, but the discovery of Tut's tomb comes up again and again on Jeopardy.

Shame to see a fine champion in Pranjal go, and it's especially bitter that it happened on a Triple Stumper FJ where he was in the lead before the wagering. His wager was completely fine, too.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Im not sure if it was an old episode ofSuperman or the FJ from 2 years ago but Lord Carnarvon was close to an Instaget. I had precalled that awful Earl Spencer because I don't know that much about Brit nobility.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Baseball (5), Fruit (1), Five-Letter Instruments (2), Time (5), England, Scotland, or Wales? (2), Being (0)
Boone (5), Money (2), Comedy (5), Lit (5), Beast (2), "JAM" (3)

Lach Trash: Honus Wagner, Boonesboro, Katzenjammer Kids, Wilderness Road, Beezus; DD: Gone with the Wind

I knew the clue referred to King Tut's tomb, but I was not familiar with Lord Carnarvon at all. Well, into the memory bank for next time.

See you in the TOC, Pranjal!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote:

And a DD wager is either good or not when the wager is made, it can't "turn out to be good" by the way things played out.

It's rare when I get to emulate TPH, but NHO Lord Carnarvon. :oops:
If I had been the third place player, I would have considered betting zero. His score was one dollar ahead of Prangal's MSBIW and all I'd need would be the not uncommon all in bet from second and I win on a TS.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

An easy way to remember this is that he's a Carnivore that's starvin' for the disintegrating flesh of King Tut. At least, that's how they taught it at my school.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I blush to admit that I only got Carnarvon because I'm a fan of the Amelia Peabody mysteries.
Teems with quiet fun.