Wednesday, July 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote:Thanks to the delays, I missed the entirety of this game except for FJ.
My station didn't switch to Jeopardy! until about 10:45. I saw about half of DJ and then FJ.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

thethirdmoose wrote:Congrats to Barbra for the win, and I can't wait to see how far she goes!

It's been a lot of fun reading jboard this last week, too - I'm really thrilled about how friendly of a community this is.
I haven't been posting in the game threads lately, but I've been watching every day and enjoying your run--I look forward to seeing you in the ToC. I was rooting for "STELLA!" so thanks for doing that!

I enjoyed watching Barbra play--it will be interesting to see how she does going forward. I liked the fact that she kept going back to Baseball; in light of that, though, I was surprised that she didn't get Honus Wagner.

I'm sure I've heard of Lord Carnarvon, but I was very far from getting this FJ!--stuck deciding between Stanley and Livingstone.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Pranjal. That was an excellent run, and I look forward to seeing more of you in the TOC.

I kept wondering if Zlatan was purposely trying to sound bored. He just had an odd demeanor.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:This one was certainly a you know it or you don't. Luckily I knew it from having a lifelong interest in the subject.
Some people have all the luck.

Obligatory Monty Python quote:
  • It was from such an unlikely beginning as an unwanted fungus accidentally growing on a sterile plate that Sir Alexander Fleming gave the world penicillin. James Watt watched an ordinary household kettle boiling and conceived the potentiality of steam power. Would Albert Einstein ever have hit upon the theory of relativity if he hadn't been clever? All these tremendous leaps forward have been taken in the dark. Would Rutherford ever have split the atom if he hadn't tried? Could Marconi have invented the radio if he hadn't by pure chance spent years working at the problem? Are these amazing breakthroughs ever achieved except by years and years of unremitting study? Of course not. What I said earlier about accidental discoveries must have been wrong.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:I kept wondering if Zlatan was purposely trying to sound bored. He just had an odd demeanor.
I got the same vibe. I'm sure we're both mistaken and he was just concentrating. But it seemed a little like he didn't want to be there and his mom was making him.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

JillyJill wrote:
I knew FJ immediately and was surprised it was a TS.
I knew it immediately as well and wasn't the least bit surprised it was a TS. My wife's response was "HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS S**T!?" The same way I guess you do: long ago read the story of the discovery of the tomb, and it just stuck.

Congrats to Pranjal on a superb run!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
My take on "NOBILITY" was that it meant no king or queen. From there I tried to think of earls, barons and lords during the break. My mind was not working well as I only had Lord Mountbatten in the pocket.
True this. I wasn't terribly surprised to see this FJ a TS, but it bothered me that the category asked for a noble and not one of the three contestants guessed a noble. One named a commoner (Livingstone) and the other two a royal. I suspect many people confuse royalty/nobility. One more reason for the Brits to be appalled by us boorish colonials.

This seems to be the week the writers are using all the clues I hoped would be saved for my appearance: the truly odd junk that only I know. On the previous game it was "soteriology" and "apologetics;" today it was "Lord Carnarvon," Wilderness Road," and "Katzenjammer Kids." Those kids were a staple of some newspaper comic pages in my long-ago youth, and it was thanks to my German-speaking dad that I learned "Katzenjammer" means "hangover." And that factoid, uh, hung over all these decades later.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote:
JillyJill wrote:Congrats to Barbara for savvy wagering in FJ. Her DD bet turned out to be good, too. I wish she'd have pulled out Gone with the Wind.
Savvy? She let third place in the game when she didn't have to. It wasn't the worst(suicide) wager, but it wasn't good either. I guess it could be described as so-so.

And a DD wager is either good or not when the wager is made, it can't "turn out to be good" by the way things played out.

How about "mixed bag?" True, by wagering $1,200 or more (she bet $2,401) Barbara gave Zlatan a chance to beat her that he wouldn't have had if she wagered smaller. But her $2,401 wager (which I precalled for her) covers Pranjal if he hates the category and bets $0. So, I figure it was one of those bets where you couldn't protect against both, so you pick your poison.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I wasn't sure whether is was Canarvon or Carnarvon, but luckily I said the latter.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that this made for a good "you know it or you don't" FJ clue. I knew exactly who the clue wanted but couldn't pull the name, so I had to decide whether to guess George VI or Edward VIII (I went with the former, not that it mattered).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I had "Lord C..." followed by those sounds you make as you try to guess someone's name while looking at their face for a tell.

Was tempted to scribble "Bowler" in though as I've recently been introduced to Brisco County, Jr. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:Was tempted to scribble "Bowler" in though as I've recently been introduced to Brisco County, Jr. :D
Go find Jack of all Trades, then. More Bruce Campbell goodness (and the best opening theme of any show). :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VNsjjYRgjc
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:Was tempted to scribble "Bowler" in though as I've recently been introduced to Brisco County, Jr. :D
Go find Jack of all Trades, then. More Bruce Campbell goodness (and the best opening theme of any show). :)
I *have* Jack of all Trades. The Brisco set, however tempting, was too pricey for a blind buy when it came out.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote:
Golf wrote:
JillyJill wrote:Congrats to Barbara for savvy wagering in FJ. Her DD bet turned out to be good, too. I wish she'd have pulled out Gone with the Wind.
Savvy? She let third place in the game when she didn't have to. It wasn't the worst(suicide) wager, but it wasn't good either. I guess it could be described as so-so.

And a DD wager is either good or not when the wager is made, it can't "turn out to be good" by the way things played out.

How about "mixed bag?" True, by wagering $1,200 or more (she bet $2,401) Barbara gave Zlatan a chance to beat her that he wouldn't have had if she wagered smaller. But her $2,401 wager (which I precalled for her) covers Pranjal if he hates the category and bets $0. So, I figure it was one of those bets where you couldn't protect against both, so you pick your poison.
You can't protect against both, but the percentage of times a leader wagers small in that situation is incredibly small. Especially from a multiple game champ who has been aggressive. He's just not going to do it in that situation.

Jeopardy players exhibit very little thinking in these scenarios, trying to go multi-level thinking is nothing but a waste of time. Unless unusual behavior has been exhibited multiple times such as Arthur Chu always offering the tie from a non-lock position. In that case 2nd place making the suicide wager made perfect sense.

So in the end she chose not to protect a situation that happens all the time in favor of a situation that might happen once a year. The only time I'd ever thinking about protecting that scenario would be if the leader was a first day dainty librarian in a sports category.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Why didn't "coin" get a BMS? I know, trying to understand their BMS logic is a fool's errand.
The correct response was clearly some denomination of money, so BMSing Pranjal's response would have been like BMSing "Who is a person?" on a clue where the correct response is someone's name.
Plus, Pranjal responded after Zlatan was negged for a specific denomination. It might have been different if Pranjal had rung in first. Of course, the decision to neg "coin" could have been made before the game.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Geoffrey Beene, Honus Wagner, dime, Katzenjammer Kids, Beezus.

"What the hell keyboard instrument has pipes in it?!" asked the organist. To be fair, I don't play a pipe organ. My only miss in the category too, although I don't think I'd have gotten cello without the viola neg.

Ran Fruit Stand.

That "Being" category was tough. Couldn't make any of them work when trying forms of "to be". "Arena" in particular seemed tough to me.

0/5 in England/Scotland/Wales. I guessed and AS USUAL, was wrong on all 5. DO YOU SEE WHY I HATE GUESSING?!?

Didn't recognize anything in Comedy.

"Get rid of its tail" was unusually specific response. I knew it, but couldn't articulate it. Outright didn't know gibbons (a weak spot of mine) to end up at 3/5.

NHO "Stella".

How was "penny" a TS?

No hope for me in that FJ! category. No recognition of the correct response.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Outright didn't know gibbons (a weak spot of mine) to end up at 3/5.

NHO "Stella".
This might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Gibbons
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: "Get rid of its tail" was unusually specific response. I knew it, but couldn't articulate it.
It wasn't as specific as you think, you just had to get the concept. I went with "lose its tail" and am counting it. As long as it was in the ballpark, it would've been accepted.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

immaf wrote:I blush to admit that I only got Carnarvon because I'm a fan of the Amelia Peabody mysteries.
Me too! Though, like Pauerpoint, I also knew the Downton connection.
zhzhzh
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by zhzhzh »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:I kept wondering if Zlatan was purposely trying to sound bored. He just had an odd demeanor.
I got the same vibe. I'm sure we're both mistaken and he was just concentrating. But it seemed a little like he didn't want to be there and his mom was making him.
Ha, nah I was just incredibly frustrated with the buzzer. I kept ringing in way too early. That plus the fact that the others got ahead so quickly totally sapped my confidence. Congrats to them both though, I was outplayed and really too nervous.