2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Round 1 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Re: 2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Round 1 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by ChexMix »

Pretty embarrassing miss on Redwood, makes perfect sense in hindsight, but Red Oak kept popping into my head didn't want to take a risk. I'll join the club of folks who had no idea on Red Wheelbarrow, but instagot all the film clues in my wheelhouse category.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Choosing Rashomon instead of Ran cost me a perfect score today.

That red wheelbarrow poem has made appearances in LL and other quizzes.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Incidentally, I would recommend everyone who hasn't to watch Ran. Easily one of the greatest films ever, and the storming of the Lord's castle might be the most incredible scene I've ever seen.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Garmisch-Partenkirchen AND Los Angeles followed Lake Placid. Two correct answers!

If only there was a chance in hell of me remembering Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I would have easily known the 4-pointer 25 years ago. :roll:
Leander

Post by Leander »

Seems like the Steve Jobs and Lake Placid clues each have two answers. Was this intentional?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

RATS! After promising myself I wouldn't guess, I flipped a coin between Chamber of Secrets and Goblet of Fire. Naturally, I flipped wrong.
Teems with quiet fun.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Leander wrote:Seems like the Steve Jobs and Lake Placid clues each have two answers. Was this intentional?
The Steve Jobs clue only has one correct answer. Jobs only served as CEO from 1997 to 2011 (and was succeeded by Tim Cook). He was not the first CEO of the company or anything like that. (Cook also served as temporary CEO on a couple of occasions during Jobs's tenure when Jobs had to take medical leave, prior to succeeding Jobs for good in 2011.)

In the art category, the 3 and 6 pointers both should have been valued at 15. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

chmmr wrote:Garmisch-Partenkirchen AND Los Angeles followed Lake Placid. Two correct answers!

Garmish-Partenkirchen and Sarajevo, no? I'd definitely watch the Winter Olympics if they were held in Los Angeles, though.
Leander

Post by Leander »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Leander wrote:Seems like the Steve Jobs and Lake Placid clues each have two answers. Was this intentional?
The Steve Jobs clue only has one correct answer. Jobs only served as CEO from 1997 to 2011 (and was succeeded by Tim Cook). He was not the first CEO of the company or anything like that. (Cook also served as temporary CEO on a couple of occasions during Jobs's tenure when Jobs had to take medical leave, prior to succeeding Jobs for good in 2011.)

In the art category, the 3 and 6 pointers both should have been valued at 15. :)
You're right, I thought he was CEO before Sculley, which seems wrong. shoulda gone with the easy answer of Cook :(
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

pauerpoint wrote:
chmmr wrote:Garmisch-Partenkirchen AND Los Angeles followed Lake Placid. Two correct answers!

Garmish-Partenkirchen and Sarajevo, no? I'd definitely watch the Winter Olympics if they were held in Los Angeles, though.
Yeah, I knew there were two answers and thought for some stupid reason that the other one was Innsbruck. But luckily, Sarajevo was my main answer.

That moment when you saw the Jasper Johns work in question at the Art Institute of Chicago last week and then cannot, for the life of you, think of his name :x

Today, despite my wrong answer, I think was one of my best days of SHC ever. I actually found the highest-valued questions in each category to be easier for me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote:In the art category, the 3 and 6 pointers both should have been valued at 15. :)
The valuation on the art questions was definitely out of whack.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

On one question, I thought one thing and typed another. I didn't research this, I just realized about 30 seconds after hitting submit... :oops:
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

immaf wrote:RATS! After promising myself I wouldn't guess, I flipped a coin between Chamber of Secrets and Goblet of Fire. Naturally, I flipped wrong.
That's weird, the same coin landed on "half blood prince". My lack of Harry porter order shows off again.

The Art category was definitely tougher -- clammed on Johns (if that is the right answer). Embarrassingly said Van Dyck when thinking of Duchamp. This emoticon seems appropriate :ugeek:
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

D'oh. For some reason, this morning I forgot that (wrong) guesses can be costly. Let's hope mine are not. <sigh>
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

patkav wrote:D'oh. For some reason, this morning I forgot that (wrong) guesses can be costly. Let's hope mine are not. <sigh>
Luckily I did remember. Unfortunately, 5 blank spaces for Modern Art. Had seen the Dali title before but couldn't remember the title. Was hoping the at least the 3 pointer would have Campbell's Soup Cans or Marilyn Monroe.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

So Modern Art is certainly not my category, but these seemed much tougher than yesterday. Values were weird. I've NHO Broadway Boogie-Woogie, never seen it, and couldn't tell you the first thing about Mondrian. I've seen the Duchamp painting before but it seems undervalued on the second row with no TOMs (J! would have included a nationality at the very least).
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold »

Loved the follows-the-last category, big props to Blue Lion for that! Unfortunately yeah, the modern art ones seemed a lot tougher than the questions from yesterday. I think you were gracious in giving us Dali's most famous work as the 12 pointer, and I pulled Duchamp out for LHOOQ because I recognized the title and pinned it to him. Guessed red/blue/yellow on the first one because those are the three primary colors of art and it was the least valued question, though I could've easily fallen into a trap. I agree that the valuation of those clues seemed a bit wonky, but honestly it might just be that all five were pretty difficult and didn't lend themselves much to guessing outside of the first one.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Let's just say art is not my strong point-nor is remembering last names. Too bad "Tim" would not have been enough for the Steve Jobs question.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Today clues reminded me that I need to learn that damn Greek Alphabet. And perhaps read a Harry Potter book or seven. And learn more about art. There's gonna be a lot of days like these over the next six weeks, I'll bet.

At least I got Sarajevo though, cause I wasn't 100 percent sure on that. My two high-point gets in art also helped ease the impact of some of my wrong guesses, so at least this day wasn't too costly.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell