TD 305: Kurt Vonnegut (FINAL STANDINGS REVEALED)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

TD 305: Kurt Vonnegut (FINAL STANDINGS REVEALED)

Post by jev15 »

Hello and welcome to Think Different 305. Our inspiration this week comes from the author Kurt Vonnegut, but don't worry if it's been a while since you cracked open Cat's Cradle or if you never got around to Sirens of Titan. The questions cover a wide variety of topics and are only loosely based in Vonnegut's life and work. Let's go over the rules.

Your score is determined by the total number of players submitting your answer. The goal is to achieve the lowest score.

Wrong answers will be given the SHEEP, or most common answer score, plus five points.

On any question with lettered options, you must provide the letter of your choice as part of your response. Any response without a letter will be counted as wrong.

You may DROP one question for a score of 0 points. You may answer SHEEP for one question and receive the score of the most common response.

No cheating, consulting other people, or conducting any research.

Responses are due by 7:00pm EST on Monday, August 1, 2016.

Questions will be in the next post. Provide your response by PM or at the Google form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform
Last edited by jev15 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 305: Kurt Vonnegut

Post by jev15 »

1. INDIANA.
"My God," she said, "are you a Hoosier?"
I admitted I was.
"I'm a Hoosier, too," she crowed. "Nobody has to be ashamed of being a Hoosier."
"I'm not," I said. "I never knew anybody who was."
– Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Though it’s a near-perfect example of a granfalloon, or false karass, Vonnegut has something in common with all the people below, they’re all from Indiana. I’ve described ten Hoosiers below. Pick a letter and give the full name of the Hoosier in question.
Spoiler
a. Received three Emmy nominations for playing Diane Chambers, including one win in 1983.
b. Wrote the music and lyrics for Kiss Me, Kate the first winner of the Tony Award for Best Musical.
c. Bank robber shot and killed outside Chicago’s Biograph Theater on July 22, 1934.
d. Founder and leader of the Peoples Temple who led over 900 people to drink cyanide-laced Flavor Aid in a mass suicide in November 1978.
e. Dancer and choreographer whose “Deuce Coupe” and “Push Comes to Shove” are early examples of the crossover ballet.
f. Singer whose fourth album, Rhythm Nation 1814, is the only album in the history of the Billboard Hot 100 chart to have seven commercial singles reach the top 5.
g. On July 30, 1975 he left the Machus Red Fox, a restaurant in suburban Detroit, and was never seen nor heard from again.
h. Comedian who has a self-titled show on TV Land and is the author of the memoirs Dad is Fat and Food, a Love Story.
i. Actress who played the title role in All About Eve.
j. Senator who served as Vice President to Theodore Roosevelt from 1905-1909 and was later nominated as the running mate to Charles Evans Hughes in 1916.
2. CORNELL. Though he did not graduate, Vonnegut attended Cornell for a few years before his service in the army. He pursued a major in biochemistry at the behest of his father and brother and wrote for the student newspaper. As a member of the Ivy League, Cornell is a very prestigious school and as such finished in a three-way tie (with Vanderbilt and Washington University in St. Louis) at #15 on the 2015 U.S. News and World Report rankings of American universities. Name a college or university which finished above Cornell on the list. (14 responses.)

3. AMERICAN HUMANIST ASSOCIATION. Vonnegut was decidedly not religious, or as he put it, “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without any expectation of rewards or punishments after I'm dead.” The American Humanist Association named him their Humanist of the Year in 1992. Below I’ve provided biographical sketches of 10 other winners of this award. Pick a letter and identify the man or woman it describes.
Spoiler
a. Evolutionary biologist and paleontologist who spent many years on the Harvard faculty, wrote the essay collection “The Panda’s Thumb” and, as a well-known Yankees fan, appears throughout Ken Burn’s documentary “Baseball.”
b. Skippered “Courageous” to a win in the 1977 America’s Cup and was married to Jane Fonda from 1991 to 2001.
c. Crusading feminist who went undercover as a Playboy bunny for a 1963 magazine piece.
d. Nuclear physicist and Soviet dissident who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1975.
e. Canadian author whose novel The Blind Assassin won the Booker Prize in 2000.
f. Co-founder and first president of the National Organization for Women.
g. Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California who in 2007 became the first open Atheist member of Congress.
h. American architect who popularized geodesic domes and has a form of carbon molecule named in his honor.
i. Though more famous as a science-fiction author, he wrote 66 mystery stories featuring a group of men known as The Black Widowers.
j. Author born in Georgia whose most famous novel was turned into a movie directed by Stephen Spielberg which famously lost all 11 Academy Awards for which it was nominated.
4. JOHN IRVING. While teaching at the Iowa Writer’s Workshop, Vonnegut mentored a young author from New England named John Irving who has gone on to achieve some success. Name one of Irving’s novels. (14 possible answers.)

5. SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE. Vonnegut’s seminal 1969 novel Slaughterhouse Five was adapted into a movie by director George Roy Hill in 1972. The next year, Hill won the Academy Award for Best Director for The Sting. Hill died in 2002. Name a winner of the Academy Award for Best Director since his death, covering the 75th Academy Awards to the present. (12 possible answers.)

6. CAT’S CRADLE. Though it has nothing to do with Vonnegut’s novel about the fictional island of San Lorenzo and its prophet-in-hiding Bokonon, the musical Cats is the fourth-longest running show in the history of Broadway. The original run lasted 7,485 performances from 1982 to 2000. Including Cats, only 13 Broadway productions (including revivals) have performed more than 4,000 shows in a single run. Name any one of the other 12.

7. KILGORE TROUT. First appearing in God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, the prolific sci-fi writer Kilgore Trout is both a character based on Vonnegut’s friend Theodore Sturgeon and a stand-in for the author himself. In his honor I’ve listed 12 writers who appear as characters in works of fiction. Pick a letter and name the real-life author who created the fictional author.
Spoiler
a. Nathan Zuckerman
b. Ariadne Oliver
c. Henry Bech
d. John Watson
e. Harriet M. Welsch
f. Paul Sheldon
g. Ford Prefect
h. Henry Chinaski
i. Carrie Bradshaw
j. Frank Bascombe
k. Charles Kinbote
l. Gordon Comstock
8. BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS. In his 1973 novel, subtitled Goodbye Blue Monday, Vonnegut acknowledges that the phrase “Breakfast of Champions” is a trademark of the General Mills Corporation and that his usage is “not intended to disparage their fine products.” The cereal most associated with the phrase is Wheaties, famous for their special edition boxes featuring champion athletes. Below, I’ve described 12 athletes who have appeared on the front of a box of Wheaties. Pick a letter and identify the athlete.
Spoiler
a. MVP of Super Bowl I and II
b. Only player from the losing team to be named MVP of the World Series.
c. NFL Hall of Famer who served four terms in Congress representing Oklahoma
d. Won three Olympic gold medals in beach volleyball with her playing partner Kerri Walsh Jennings.
e. Became the first American to win the all-around gold medal in Women’s Gymnastics, defeating Romania’s Ecaterina Szabo by just 0.05 points.
f. Member of the Oglala Lakota Tribe who won the gold medal in the 10,000 meters at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
g. Winner of 18 Grand Slam singles titles who nevertheless lost 43 of her 80 career matches against her greatest rival, Martina Navratilova.
h. Scored the winning shootout goal in the final of the 1999 Women’s World Cup.
i. The only MLB player to hit back to back home runs with his own father.
j. The pride of Latrobe, PA, he won the Masters in 1958, 1960, 1962, and 1964.
k. Quarterback who played himself in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.
l. Winner of the women’s singles gold medal in figure skating at the 2002 Winter Olympics.
9. DEADEYE DICK. Rudy Waltz narrates this novel from his self-imposed exile in Haiti. Haiti gained independence from France in 1804. Many nations have gained independence by casting off the French, most of which are located in Africa. Name a present-day African nation which achieved independence from France. (19 possible answers)

10. SLAPSTICK. In the prologue Vonnegut explains that he titled this novel after the comedy style of Laurel and Hardy because that was life felt like to him. My own favorite slapstick comedians are the Marx Brothers. For your answer please provide the name of an official Marx Brothers feature-length movie starring at least three of the brothers or the first name used by one of the five Marx Brothers. (18 possible answers.)

11. HOCUS POCUS. While Vonnegut’s 1990 novel focuses on Eugene Debs Hartke, a Vietnam veteran who eventually becomes a teacher in a prison, let’s focus on the magical derivation of the title. I’ve listed 12 songs with the word “Magic” in the title. Pick a letter and identify the recording artist who first popularized the song.
Spoiler
a. “Strange Magic”
b. “Magic Bus”
c. “Do You Believe in Magic?”
d. “Magic Stick”
e. “Puff the Magic Dragon”
f. “This Magic Moment”
g. “Magic” (“Ho ho ho, it’s magic, you know”)
h. “Magic Carpet Ride”
i. “Magic Man”
j. “Blue Magic”
k. “Magic Dance”
l. “I’ve Got the Magic in Me”
12. MOTHER NIGHT. The moral of this novel about propaganda is “we are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” Below, I’ve listed the character name of 12 TV mothers. Name the actress who, carefully or otherwise, pretended to be the character in question.
Spoiler
a. Marie Barone
b. Laura Petrie
c. Tracy McConnell
d. Carol Brady
e. Lily Munster
f. Rainbow Johnson
g. Alura Zor-El
h. Lucille Bluth
i. Gloria Delgado-Pritchett
j. Lorelai Gilmore
k. Florida Evans
l. Bonnie Plunkett
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Clarification on Question 10: I am looking for the stage names used by the Marx Brothers, not their names at birth.

Clarification on Rules: I am allowing a SHEEP option as well, you can put SHEEP for one question and receive the score of the most common response.

PARTICIPANTS
Spoiler
9021amyers
MarkBarrett
SBurrus
Rackme32
Ron
arekp01
mennoknight
totebags
pauerpoint
OSXpert
mitchparov
Magna
Gamawire
mujason
quarterrican
Greg Vinton
immaf
ElendilPickle
kirbstar
Sherm
coachgold
Ryno
dott888
This is Aoba
Blue Lion
econgator
Holocene Hero
Peachbox
patkav
coachp
lefty
Bamaman
sillymonkey
Anachronism
Tabby
BigDaddyMatty
Last edited by jev15 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

On the Marx brothers: are you looking for their birth name, or stage name?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The only way #12 could have been more tortuous to make a choice would have been if June Cleaver was included.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

MarkBarrett wrote:The only way #12 could have been more tortuous to make a choice would have been if June Cleaver was included.
That's funny, because June Cleaver was originally in the question but I cut her at the last minute.

Oh, and 9021amyers, I've clarified that I am only looking for stage names, not birth names. Thanks for pointing out the omission.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On Q1, do we need to give both first and last name?
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Bamaman wrote:On Q1, do we need to give both first and last name?
Since I didn't specify, I'll allow just the last name. Just make sure you include the letter of your choice.

In the future, I think I might require first and last name. What do you guys think?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jev15 wrote:That's funny, because June Cleaver was originally in the question but I cut her at the last minute.
<rim shot>
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Mid-week bump. I've got about 20 participants so far but would like a lot more.

I'll add the list of participants tonight when I get a chance.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Last day. Let's get those entries in. To try to boost the number, I'm extending the deadline to 11:00pm EST time tonight.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 305: Kurt Vonnegut (Question 1 Revealed)

Post by jev15 »

Spoiler
1. INDIANA.
"My God," she said, "are you a Hoosier?"
I admitted I was.
"I'm a Hoosier, too," she crowed. "Nobody has to be ashamed of being a Hoosier."
"I'm not," I said. "I never knew anybody who was."
– Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Though it’s a near-perfect example of a granfalloon, or false karass, Vonnegut has something in common with all the people below, they’re all from Indiana. I’ve described ten Hoosiers below. Pick a letter and give the full name of the Hoosier in question.

SHEEP: H. JIM GAFFIGAN (8)
arekp01
mennoknight
totebags
OSXpert
ElendilPickle
Ryno
dott888
BigDaddyMatty

D. JIM JONES (5)
MarkBarrett
mitchparov
Magna
mujason
Greg Vinton

G. JIMMY HOFFA (4)
9021amyers
Holocene Hero
patkav
sillymonkey

I. ANNE BAXTER (4)
SBurrus
Ron
Peachbox
Lefty

J. CHARLES FAIRBANKS (4)
Sherm
This is Aoba
Bamaman
Anachronism

B. COLE PORTER (3)
pauerpoint
immaf
coachgold

A. SHELLEY LONG (3)
quarterrican
econgator
coachp

C. JOHN DILLINGER (3)
Rackme32
kirbstar
Blue Lion

SINGLETON: E. Twlya Tharp
Tabby

WRONG (13 points)
Gamawire: Answered Bette Davis instead of Anne Baxter

UNUSED: F. Janet Jackson
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 305: Kurt Vonnegut (Question 2 Revealed)

Post by jev15 »

Spoiler
2. CORNELL. Though he did not graduate, Vonnegut attended Cornell for a few years before his service in the army. He pursued a major in biochemistry at the behest of his father and brother and wrote for the student newspaper. As a member of the Ivy League, Cornell is a very prestigious school and as such finished in a three-way tie (with Vanderbilt and Washington University in St. Louis) at #15 on the 2015 U.S. News and World Report rankings of American universities. Name a college or university which finished above Cornell on the list. (14 responses.)
CO-SHEEP: STANFORD (5)
Rackme32
pauerpoint
Magna
ElendilPickle
Sherm

CO-SHEEP: MIT (5)
totebags
immaf
patkav
Bamaman
sillymonkey

DUKE (4)
9021amyers
SBurrus
coachgold
dott888

HARVARD (3)
Ron
Mitchparov
Ryno

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO (3)
arekp01
quarterrican
Blue Lion

YALE (3)
mennoknight
econgator
coachp

JOHNS HOPKINS (2)
This is Aoba
Anachronism

NORTHWESTERN (2)
Lefty
kirbstar

PRINCETON (2)
Greg Vinton
Tabby

SINGLETON: COLUMBIA
OSXpert

SINGLETON: PENN
Gamawire

SINGLETON: CALTECH
BigDaddyMatty

DROP (0 points)
MarkBarrett
mujason

WRONG (10 points)
Holocene Hero (Harvey Mudd)
Peachbox (California-Berkeley)

UNUSED: DARTMOUTH, BROWN
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Spoiler
3. AMERICAN HUMANIST ASSOCIATION. Vonnegut was decidedly not religious, or as he put it, “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without any expectation of rewards or punishments after I'm dead.” The American Humanist Association named him their Humanist of the Year in 1992. Below I’ve provided biographical sketches of 10 other winners of this award. Pick a letter and identify the man or woman it describes.
Big sheep score on this one, and not the one I would have guessed.

SHEEP: B. TED TURNER (10)
SBurrus
Magna
Greg Vinton
Sherm
dott888
Blue Lion
coachp
Bamaman
Tabby
BigDaddyMatty

A. STEPHEN JAY GOULD (5)
9021amyers
Ron
This is Aoba
lefty
sillymonkey

J. ALICE WALKER (4)
MarkBarrett
totebags
mujason
quarterrican

E. MARGARET ATWOOD (4)
mennoknight
Gamawire
ElendilPickle
Anachronism

D. ANDREI SAKHAROV (3)
pauerpoint
econgator
peachbox

C. GLORIA STEINEM (2)
Holocene Hero
patkav

I. ISAAC ASIMOV (2)
immaf
coachgold

H. BUCKMINSTER FULLER (2)
OSXpert
mitchparov

SINGLETON: G. PETE STARK
Ryno

DROP (0 points)
Kirbstar

SHEEP (10 points)
arekp01

WRONG (15 points)
Rackme32, left this answer blank.

UNUSED: F. BETTY FRIEDAN

Standings through Q3 next, and then I'm done for the night.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 305: Kurt Vonnegut (Standings Through Q3)

Post by jev15 »

Here are your standings through Question 3. Your leader has already used his drop, and there are plenty of people not far behind.

1. kirbstar 5
2. MarkBarrett 9
2. mujason 9
2. coachgold 9
2. econgator 9

6. mitchparov 10
6. quarterrican 10
6. immaf 10
6. Anachronism 10

10. pauerpoint 11
10. OSXpert 11
10. This is Aoba 11
10. patkav 11
10. lefty 11

15. Ron 12
15. Ryno 12
17. 9021amyers 13
17. Tabby 13
19. sillymonkey 14
20. mennoknight 15

21. Blue Lion 16
21. Holocene Hero 16
21. coachp 16
24. totebags 17
24. Greg Vinton 17
24. ElendilPickle 17
24. Peachbox 17

28. Sburrus 18
28. Gamawire 18
30. Sherm 19
30. Bamaman 19
30. BigDaddyMatty 19

33. Magna 20
34. arekp01 21
35. dott888 22
36. Rackme32 23

Next up is John Irving.
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold »

My mind is pretty blown that I didn't get eaten alive for picking Duke for Q2 or Asimov for Q3. I have a feeling my response for Q4 and probably either 6 or 7 will sheep big time and I'll drop out of this second-place tie though. Good luck everyone!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

4. JOHN IRVING. While teaching at the Iowa Writer’s Workshop, Vonnegut mentored a young author from New England named John Irving who has gone on to achieve some success. Name one of Irving’s novels. (14 possible answers.)
This proved to be a pretty unpopular question, with a lot of drops and unused answers. I guess I let my own Irving fandom cloud my judgment, but I thought enough of his novels were well-known to make for an interesting question. Anyway, some of the folks who chose to play this question are getting a high score for their efforts, though a few aficionados were able to take advantage.

SHEEP: The Cider House Rules (10)
pauerpoint
OSXpert
Gamawire
immaf
ElendilPickle
kirbstar
coachgold
dott888
coachp
Tabby

The Hotel New Hampshire (6)
MarkBarrett
mitchparov
mujason
Blue Lion
patkav
Bamaman

The World According to Garp (4)
9021amyers
Greg Vinton
Ryno
This is Aoba

The Water-Method Man (2)
mennoknight
Sherm

SINGLETON: A Son of the Circus
quarterrican

SINGLETON: The Fourth Hand
Anachronism

11 DROPS (0 points)
SBurrus
Rackme32
Ron
arekp01
totebags
Magna
econgator
Holocene Hero
Peachbox
lefty
BigDaddyMatty

WRONG (15 points)
sillymonkey, who confused his Johns and answered Rabbit, Run, a novel by John Updike.

UNUSED ANSWERS
Setting Free the Bears
The 158-Pound Marriage
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
Until I Find You
Last Night in Twisted River
In One Person
Avenue of Mysteries

As an editorial comment, for those of you who've never read any Irving, I heartily recommend The World According to Garp, The Hotel New Hampshire, A Widow for One Year, A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Cider House Rules, and Last Night in Twisted River.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

5. SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE. Vonnegut’s seminal 1969 novel Slaughterhouse Five was adapted into a movie by director George Roy Hill in 1972. The next year, Hill won the Academy Award for Best Director for The Sting. Hill died in 2002. Name a winner of the Academy Award for Best Director since his death, covering the 75th Academy Awards to the present. (12 possible answers.)
A really big sheep is going to hurt a lot of scores.

SHEEP: Kathryn Bigelow "The Hurt Locker" (11)
9021amyers
SBurrus
Ron
arekp01
Gamawire
totebags
Greg Vinton
coachgold
econgator
patkav
lefty
Tabby

Ang Lee "Brokeback Mountain", "Life of Pi" (4)
Rackme32
pauerpoint
This is Aoba
Blue Lion

Martin Scorsese "The Departed" (4)
OSXpert
mitchparov
kirbstar
coachp

Tom Hooper "The King's Speech" (2)
Peachbox
mujason

Clint Eastwood "Million Dollar Baby" (2)
MarkBarrett
Ryno

Alejandro G. Inarritu "Birdman" "The Revenant" (2)
magna
dott888

SINGLETON: Peter Jackson "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
ElendilPickle

SINGLETON: The Coen Brothers "No Country for Old Men"
quarterrican

SINGLETON: Roman Polanski "The Pianist"
Sherm

2 DROPS (0 points)
Anachronism
Bamaman

2 VOLUNTARY SHEEP (11 points)
sillymonkey
econgator

4 WRONG (16 points)
mennoknight (Ben Affleck, who controversially was not nominated for Argo)
BigDaddyMatty (Affleck)
immaf (Jane Campion, winner for The Piano in 1993.)
Holocene Hero (Jonathan Demme, winner for The Silence of the Lambs in 1991)

UNUSED ANSWERS: Alfonso Cuaron, Michel Hazanavicius, Danny Boyle.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

6. CAT’S CRADLE. Though it has nothing to do with Vonnegut’s novel about the fictional island of San Lorenzo and its prophet-in-hiding Bokonon, the musical Cats is the fourth-longest running show in the history of Broadway. The original run lasted 7,485 performances from 1982 to 2000. Including Cats, only 13 Broadway productions (including revivals) have performed more than 4,000 shows in a single run. Name any one of the other 12.
SHEEP: The Lion King (10)
MarkBarrett
Rackme32
totebags
Greg Vinton
Blue Lion
Holocene Hero
patkav
sillymonkey
Anachronism
BigDaddyMatty

A Chorus Line (6)