Tuesday, February 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

The 1960s
On nominating this man in 1967, LBJ said "It is the right thing to do, the right time to do it, the right man & the right place."
Spoiler
Who is Thurgood Marshall? Brooks said Abe Fortas; Justin said Robert F Kennedy.
Day 1 Scores
Brooks Humphreys: $5,800
Patrick Quinn: $5,589
Justin Hofstetter: $4,799

Day 2 Scores
Justin: $11,400-$10,000=$1,400
Brooks: $8,600-$2,000=$6,600
Patrick: $8,400+$8,311=$16,711

Final Scores
Patrick: $22,300
Brooks: $12,400
Justin: $6,199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Shocked (and negatively, too) that FJ! wasn't an across the board correct response.

I nailed it, cold! And I'm not even a teacher.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Wow, after yesterday's boards were so easy, today's had their brutal moments. Seemed like there were more TS too. FJ not quite an instaget but almost, so I was surprised that only one of the three contestants came up with it. Pressure of the lights, etc, I suppose.

I did like Justin's comment and the audience reaction after the TV show category. "Trebek" as a verb; I'll bet he loved that.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Justin took the "go big or go home" approach... and went home. Congrats to Patrick on advancing to the TOC.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I never want to see that Dewey Decimal category again :(

Instaget FJ, followed by a pause to think it over, but "nominate" + civil rights era + that quote? It all fit too perfectly, so I stuck with it. I'm surprised two of them missed it.

So much for all of our predictions. Sort of. Justin was clearly the better player for most of both games, but he was his own worst enemy, missing easy clues and gettable DDs, and missing both FJs. I never would've predicted this outcome, but can't argue with a sole get. Congratulations Patrick! See you in the TOC.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I never want to see that Dewey Decimal category again :(
QFT. That was a brutal -- and poorly written -- category.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
I guess I didn't see the problem - Spock pointed to logic, librarians use library science, American literature being early in the 800s seemed like a reasonable gamble at 400, and the Johnson lady is the "Dangerous Minds" person. I wasn't sure if they wanted epistles or Pauline epistles for the "letters" one - that one did seem a little stilted in its wording.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:
I guess I didn't see the problem - Spock pointed to logic, librarians use library science, American literature being early in the 800s seemed like a reasonable gamble at 400, and the Johnson lady is the "Dangerous Minds" person. I wasn't sure if they wanted epistles or Pauline epistles for the "letters" one - that one did seem a little stilted in its wording.
Actually the more I think about it - yes, they really were heavy on reading between the lines, weren't they?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:
I thought most of the clues were pretty icky. The $400 clue was a coin flip between the UK and the US, depending on whether you thought the US or UK would be listed first (Dewey's home country or the original English-speaking country) and whether you thought the numbering would begin at 800 or 810. Also, the "nation" turned out to be both the US and Canada. The $600 clue referred to "the numbers" meaning the Dewey Decimal numbers and put "science" in quotes because it was part of the answer - but it sounded equally as if it meant it was asking about a so-called science of numbers - e.g., some kind of mathematics (which is sometimes called a science and sometimes not) or a pseudoscience involving numbers (which apparently was how Justin read it). And the $1000 clue asked for the missing word from the title of a book. The only connection with the category that I saw was that they gave the number range for books on education.

(I edited this after posting.)
Last edited by Magna on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Magna wrote:he $400 clue was a coin flip between the UK and the US, depending on whether you thought the US or UK would be listed first (Dewey's home country or the original English-speaking country) and whether you thought the numbering would begin at 800 or 810. Also, the "nation" turned out to be both the US and Canada.

I'm sure Canadians are thrilled. Welcome to the fold! We'll let dhkendall design your new flag and state song.
The $600 clue referred to "the numbers" meaning the Dewey Decimal numbers and put "science" in quotes because it was part of the answer - but it sounded equally as if it meant it was asking about a so-called science of numbers - e.g., some kind of mathematics (which is sometimes called a science and sometimes not) or a pseudoscience involving numbers (which apparently was how Justin read it). And the $1000 clue asked for the missing word from the title of a book. The only connection with the category that I saw was that they gave the number range for books on education.
That pretty much sums up my problem with those clues.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

Very interesting outcome, something I didn't predict at all. Good job to Patrick, I kind of started cheering for him after yesterday, he surprisingly shocked me (and probably most of the board). Glad we're going right back to normal Jeopardy! though. I was sort of getting sick of tournaments.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Congrats to Patrick!
I said "actuarial science" instead of "library science" :roll: (probably because I have two actuary friends!)
And, it was fun to see "The Big Bang Theory" as an answer.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Magna wrote:Also, the "nation" turned out to be both the US and Canada.
WTF?

Oh, and... I never thought that the location of Canada's Walk of Fame could trip anybody up, but as soon as the contestant answered 'Ottawa', I could sorta see how somebody might make that mistake.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Patrick on earning the ToC spot!

I thought that this board was decent. The difficulty seemed to be up and down, like last night's board.

I also negged with Clemente for Jackie Robinson. I thought that Robinson died earlier than 1972.

I am shocked that FJ was not a triple get. That was Teen Tournament level. I guess it's possible that it was too easy and the contestants over thought it.

I had high hopes for Justin but he had no business missing the Cleveland DD or the FJ clue. I don't think that he realized the theme of the category on the Grover Cleveland DD, but even without the "name of a city" connection it was a bread and butter U.S. Presidents clue that you can't be missing.

I just cannot see Patrick doing well in the ToC. But in the last ten years or so the college champions who I thought could do well in the ToC have usually been eliminated in the quarterfinals, and the ones who I didn't think would do well have usually made it to the semifinals, so who knows.

I am glad that the boards for this Teachers Tournament were about normal difficulty. It definitely made for a more enjoyable watching experience.
Last edited by StevenH on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I agree with what Magna said about the Dewey category — the writing was way off. I've never heard of library science either, and picked up US on the rebound just fine. However, I totally whiffed on the Spock — I was thinking Dr. Spock instead and trying to say "pediatrics", but couldn't remember the word.

0/5 on City Folk for me. The clues just seemed opaque and utterly devoid of TOM. However, I could've picked up the Brönte sister if they EXPLAINED THE SODDING CATEGORY FIRST WHY DO YOU NEVER DO THAT ANYMORE ARGGGH ETC ETC.

Also 0/5 on Art. Is that Gauguin thing something I should know?

Absolutely lost at sea on FJ!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote: if they EXPLAINED THE SODDING CATEGORY FIRST
Actually, I thought it much better that 'they' didn't and was quite annoyed when Alex mentioned it partway through.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:However, I totally whiffed on the Spock — I was thinking Dr. Spock instead and trying to say "pediatrics", but couldn't remember the word.
I'm pretty sure they were looking for a branch of philosophy...
Also 0/5 on Art. Is that Gauguin thing something I should know?
Tahiti/Gauguin? 100% Pavlovian.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: if they EXPLAINED THE SODDING CATEGORY FIRST
Actually, I thought it much better that 'they' didn't and was quite annoyed when Alex mentioned it partway through.

Brian
I think the worse one was Notions a few months ago. It was obvious none of them knew that they were going for probably the least-used definition of "notions" ever — i.e., buttons, thimbles, small things like that. Never explained. Contestants seemed outright baffled until $1600.
xxaaaxx wrote:I'm pretty sure they were looking for a branch of philosophy...
Logic is philosophy? Still didn't help me since I was so focused on the Spock part.

I haven't seen a second of anything Star Trek. Clearly I need to turn in my nerd card.
xxaaaxx wrote:Tahiti/Gauguin? 100% Pavlovian.
New to me. Has it come up in the past few months?