Wednesday, February 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

The History of Christianity
The Catholic & Orthodox Churches separated in 1054, when the Pope & Patriarch did this to each other; it was undone in 1965.
Spoiler
What is excommunicated?
Patrick Morrison: $19,000+$2,500=$21,500...now a 2-day champion with $51,101
Sarah Edwards: $4,800+$1,000=$5,800
Michael McCall: $1,000+$500=$1,500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I'm precalling a Monkees clue.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

harrumph wrote:I'm precalling a Monkees clue.
Too early. A couple of months from now probably.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

They have an uncanny sense of timing with this stuff....
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

3000!??! I'm not expecting y'all to do calculus in your heads up there, but 3000!??! I was hoping for him to wager 3900 (or w/e would've gotten him to 9500), but expected him to go nearly all-in...and instead he does that. *sigh* Today made me miss the tournaments.

Easy, instaget FJ. What else could it have been?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Cracker jack play there at the end. Going to the top of the board with a DD sitting out there, saying Kahlua is a port in Yemen, underbetting a DD with the math pretty clear at that point - awesome, awesome stuff.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:3000!??! I'm not expecting y'all to do calculus in your heads up there, but 3000!??! I was hoping for him to wager 3900 (or w/e would've gotten him to 9500), but expected him to go nearly all-in...and instead he does that. *sigh* Today made me miss the tournaments.
It's at least defensible in that with the last clue, he could have broken the lock, but it is still a horrible bet.
There's nothing else it could have been. I don't know how it is possible to get this clue incorrect.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:3000!??! I'm not expecting y'all to do calculus in your heads up there, but 3000!??! I was hoping for him to wager 3900 (or w/e would've gotten him to 9500), but expected him to go nearly all-in...and instead he does that. *sigh* Today made me miss the tournaments.
It's at least defensible in that with the last clue, he could have broken the lock, but it is still a horrible bet.
There's nothing else it could have been. I don't know how it is possible to get this clue incorrect.
My thinking is he wagered $3000 and hoped he get it and the $1600 clue after it. if my math is correct, I believe that would be enough. (Not like it mattered.)

Yeah, final is probably one of the easiest of the season by far. (Too many history classes deal with Papal history, tends to be easy.)

As of right now, I qualify Patrick as a threat for 5 games, we'll see however.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

econgator wrote: It's at least defensible in that with the last clue, he could have broken the lock, but it is still a horrible bet.
That fact means that it's not the absolute worst wager imaginable, but defensible? No, no, no.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

On the last DD he should've bet 3900, which would've given him a lock-tie going into the last clue, had he gotten it.
FJ was indeed way too easy. It was so easy it seemed almost too good to be true.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
econgator wrote: It's at least defensible in that with the last clue, he could have broken the lock, but it is still a horrible bet.
My thinking is he wagered $3000 and hoped he get it and the $1600 clue after it. if my math is correct, I believe that would be enough. (Not like it mattered.)
"Hmm, the LTaM warning sounded so there's no guarantee we'll even see that last clue, I'm dead anyway if I get it wrong, but sure, I'll wager short of 50% and leave it to chance even if I get it right!!" I really hope that wasn't the strategy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:
That fact means that it's not the absolute worst wager imaginable, but defensible? No, no, no.
Yeah, I like your way of saying it better than mine.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

I would not be surprised if this FJ gets a 100% or extremely close to it in the weekly poll.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really liked this board, even though I missed some clues that I shouldn't have.

I got FJ but wasn't confident because it seemed too obvious.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

So, I'm not going to offer any opinion about that [opinion deleted] DD wager...

But, is the cucumber like the tomato insofar as it has been mandated to be called a vegetable when it most certainly is not?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why is it whenever they have a clue for the five boroughs of NY, I manage to completely forget all five?

Kind of a rough board. I should've known Bridesmaids (so popular that there was a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic billboard parodying the movie poster yeah, I'm a brony, shut up).

Picked up Lach Trash on gi, which I remembered from that year I made the big mistake of trying to take a karate class. The routine of martial arts is interesting, but routine just isn't for me — I like doing things my own way. Also, if I'm being taught something totally new, I prefer "here, let me show you step by step", not "follow my lead for the 9001st time, you're GOING TO GET THIS NO MATTER WHAT RAAARRRGH".

Also Lach Trashed demitasse and Morocco.

Should've run Coffee, but I can never remember what goes into an Irish coffee and I've NHO Turkish coffee.

What can a Pope do to someone else that would result in them splitting? Gotta be excommunicate. Piece of cake.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

To anyone that is criticizing Michael's DD bet, and then saying that he should have bet $3,900...REALLY??? So if he had bet $3,900 to reach exactly half of Patrick's score, then Patrick got the final $1,600 clue to once again make it a lock, that would have somehow been better??? I thought it seemed pretty obvious that he needed to bet enough that if he got it right he would still be within half of Patrick's score even if Patrick got the final clue. If he didn't want to go true DD and risk missing out on FJ, he could have bet something like $5,400 or $5,500 (of his $5,600). With time to think about it now, perhaps his most ideal wager would have been $4,800, so on a get he would have $10,300. Then if Patrick gets the last clue he would have had $20,600, putting Michael into the enviable lock-tie scenario, which given this FJ clue, may very well have left us with co-champions. Obviously all of this is moot, since he didn't know the "demitasse" clue anyway. That was a tough one. I couldn't even think of a French word that would remotely fit either part of the clue.

Did anyone find the $1,000 clue in "Going Dutch" to be strange. Its correct response was "excise", but nothing in the clue gave any mention of what it had to do with Dutch. I figured that maybe the word excise was derived from the Dutch, and it appears that this is correct, but it's odd that there was no mention of it in the clue, since the four previous clues all pointed out that they were looking for words taken from the Dutch.

Patrick was definitely impressive today, even if his opponents may not have quite been up to the challenge.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone find the $1,000 clue in "Going Dutch" to be strange. Its correct response was "excise", but nothing in the clue gave any mention of what it had to do with Dutch. I figured that maybe the word excise was derived from the Dutch, and it appears that this is correct, but it's odd that there was no mention of it in the clue, since the four previous clues all pointed out that they were looking for words taken from the Dutch.
I forgot the category and said VAT. I wonder if they would have had to take that.