Thursday, September 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7359, 2016-09-15

WE ASKED: Louis C.K.

CONTESTANTS
Amy Ramsay, a program director from Medford, Massachusetts
Siddharth Hariharan, a student from Herndon, Virginia
Scott Bateman, a filmmaker and author from Beacon, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us once again. And welcome to the show on which it pays to know a lot about a lot. Amy and Siddharth, good to have you with us today. Scott, good to see you. Let's go to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round. And we'll get right to the clues in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ENTERTAINING REDHEADS (5/5)
SCANDINAVIA (3/5)
LUCK OF THE DRAW (3/5)
IN EXPLICABLE (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be formed from letters in the word "explicable".)
I'M HERE TO SEE HERBERT HOOVER (5/5)
STATE YOUR BUSINESS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: In that last category, we'll give you the business. You tell us in which state it is headquartered.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Siddharth: 9 R, 0 W
Scott: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Amy: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Scott had $1,600, Siddharth had $1,600, and Amy was at $600. Scott made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

STATE YOUR BUSINESS $800: Berkshire Hathaway

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Scott: $3,400
Siddharth: $2,200
Amy: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm very curious about the first player we introduced on the program today, Amy Ramsay, who is from Massachusetts. It says here you do animal impressions.

Amy: I do. I've been known to enanimalate a number of different species. Uh, my mother-in-law thinks that I should definitely do one for you so that everyone can experience it.

Alex: I think you should definitely do one for me, also.

Amy: Her favorite is the turkey, which goes like this. [Imitates turkey]

[Alex high-fives Amy.]

Alex: Way to go.

[Applause]

Alex: Watch out come November, 'cause you're gonna be trouble.

Alex: Siddharth Hariharan from Herndon, Virginia. Lot of H's in there. He's a student who is attending medical school. But in college, you were in a comedy sketch revue?

Siddharth: Yeah, that's right. So, I was in a sketch-comedy group in college, which is kind of different from improv in that it's sort of like SNL. The sketches are prepared and written over the course of the semester, and then we do performances at the end.

Alex: Okay, now, uh, which type of character was your specialty, if there was one?

Siddharth: Um, probably the one who ruined everything by laughing in the middle all the time.

[Laughter]

Alex: Aww. So you're obviously not going to go into a career in acting.

Siddharth: Oh, no, sir.

Alex: Okay. Good to have you with us.

Alex: Now we come to our champion, Scott Bateman. Filmmaker. Author. Made a feature-length film, which was kind of a mockumentary?

Scott: Yes.

Alex: Is that fair?

Scott: That's fair to say. It's a fake documentary about the human brain, um, about the basic, uh, brain functions like creativity, controlling the weather--things like that.

Alex: Right. Did it sell? Did people see it?

Scott: We're working on that.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Scott: Yes. That's the next step.

Alex: That's the next step.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCANDINAVIA $600: The 1986 assassination of Prime Minister Olof Palme on a street in this city has never been solved

SCANDINAVIA $800: Some authorities include this "land of a thousand lakes" nation in Scandinavia, but others do not

LUCK OF THE DRAW $800: From the name of an 18th century man, it's a profile portrait drawn in black
(Amy: What is a daguerreotype?)

LUCK OF THE DRAW $1000: To draw with the aid of rulers, scales & compasses is this precise kind of technical drawing

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Siddharth: $5,800
Scott: $5,000
Amy: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN AUTHORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A SONG IN THAT MOVIE (5/5)
TAKE ME TO COURT (4/5)
ASTRONOMY (3/5)
HISTORIC PLACES (4/5)
CATCH SOME DOUBLE "Z"s (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scott: 12 R, 0 W
Amy: 8 R, 1 W
Siddharth: 6 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Siddharth snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Scott had $9,000, Siddharth had $8,600, and Amy was at $4,800. Siddharth wagered $3,000.

CATCH SOME DOUBLE "Z"s $1600: You can get years in prison for this crime of a major theft of property

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Siddharth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Scott had $9,000, Siddharth had $11,600, and Amy was at $4,800. Siddharth wagered $3,000.

WOMEN AUTHORS $1600: Known for her sharp wit, in the 1920s, she wrote articles for Vanity Fair & The New Yorker

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC PLACES $800: This 1815 battle was actually fought 3 miles south of the village, itself 9 miles south of Brussels

TAKE ME TO COURT $2000: FICA is a line on your pay stub; this law set up a special court to approve national security warrants

ASTRONOMY $2000: The 2 brightest stars in Orion are Betelgeuse in the shoulder & this 5-letter one in his foot
(Amy: Who is Sirius?)

ASTRONOMY $1200: A 1990 photo of Earth taken by this space probe prompted Carl Sagan to call planet Earth a "pale blue dot"
(Siddharth: What is the Hubble telescope?)
(Alex: Four clues left with less than a minute to go, Amy.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Scott: $19,000
Siddharth: $14,200
Amy: $10,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DANTE'S INFERNO

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Scott: Wager $9,401 to cover Siddharth.
Siddharth: You ought to wager to cover Amy, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,400 (to shut out Amy) or less than $4,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Amy). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Scott.
Amy: Consider risking $1,200, thereby beating Scott on the Triple Stumper (should Scott wager to cover Siddharth's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
During the journey, Dante encounters Homer, Socrates & Cicero, who bide their time in the first circle, aka this

FINAL SCORES
Amy: $10,800 - $10,750 = $50 (What is the circle of heroes?) (3rd place)
Siddharth: $14,200 + $7,401 = $21,601 (What is limbo?) (New champion: $21,601)
Scott: $19,000 - $9,401 = $9,599 (What is purgatory?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Scott: $18,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Siddharth: $11,400, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Amy: $10,800, 16 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Scott: 21/59 = .356
Amy: 16/58 = .276
Siddharth: 16/60 = .267
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LUCK OF THE DRAW $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a walk cycle on the monitor.) From the Latin for "instill with life", it's the creation of a motion picture from a series of still images

LUCK OF THE DRAW $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates by drawing a bird.) To draw in this liberated style means without support or the guidance of instruments

IN EXPLICABLE $1000: This wild goat sports quite a pair of horns

I'M HERE TO SEE HERBERT HOOVER $800: Here's Herbert with the football team of this then-new California university; he was manager for its first intercollegiate game

I'M HERE TO SEE HERBERT HOOVER $600: Herbert is seen here with this non-relative

IN EXPLICABLE $600: A color or the fragrant flower seen here

ENTERTAINING REDHEADS $400: In a Disney film, Jodi Benson voiced this title character, daughter of King Triton
(Scott: Who is Brave?)

ENTERTAINING REDHEADS $200: (Hi, I'm Louis C.K.) I got my big break in 1993 when I became a writer on "Late Night" with this other redhead; I was also the first to do stand-up on his show

I'M HERE TO SEE HERBERT HOOVER $200: The half-inch of rain in D.C. on the day of Hoover's inaugural in this year did not bode well

I'M HERE TO SEE HERBERT HOOVER $400: See Herbert with this athlete who had popularity any politician would crave

I'M HERE TO SEE HERBERT HOOVER $1000: Mr. Hoover is with his dog; not a German shepherd, but a shepherd from this country Hoover helped feed during World War I

HISTORIC PLACES $1600: Tradition says a door of the Schlosskirche, aka Castle Church, is the site where these were posted in 1517
(Alex: I think we'll give him that, yes. There were 95 of them.)

A SONG IN THAT MOVIE $1600: Heard here is a song from this 1979 film

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nebraska
Stockholm
Finland
a silhouette
drafting
embezzlement
Dorothy Parker
the Battle of Waterloo
FISA
Rigel
Voyager 1
limbo
animation
freehand
the ibex
Stanford
J. Edgar Hoover
lilac
the Little Mermaid (Ariel)
Conan O'Brien
Babe Ruth
Belgium
Martin Luther's (95) theses
Hair
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DANTE’S INFERNO

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
During the journey, Dante encounters Homer, Socrates & Cicero, who bide their time in the first circle, aka this

Scott Bateman: 19000-9401=9599
Siddharth Hariharan: 14200+7401=21601
Amy Ramsay: 10800-10750

Correct response:
Spoiler
limbo (Scott – purgatory) (Amy – circle of heroes)

Daily Doubles
Scott: 1600+1600
Siddharth: 8600+3000
Siddharth: 11600+3000

Coryats
Scott: 18200
Siddharth: 11400
Amy: 10800

Combined: 40,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

Even though it's been almost 12 years since I read Dante's Inferno, I was sure that I would get the correct response, because here are the only things that I suspect J! would ask about:

1. Limbo
2. One of the Seven Deadly Sins and/or its punishment (with plenty of clues keying you in)
3. Some other sin, again with plenty of clues
4. Dante's guide (Virgil)
5. the phrase written over the gate of hell (abandon hope, all ye who enter here)
6. Possibly the first American translator, H.W. Longfellow

Anything else you can think of?
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
ACW

Post by ACW »

skrambler wrote:Even though it's been almost 12 years since I read Dante's Inferno, I was sure that I would get the correct response, because here are the only things that I suspect J! would ask about:

1. Limbo
2. One of the Seven Deadly Sins and/or its punishment (with plenty of clues keying you in)
5. the phrase written over the gate of hell (abandon hope, all ye who enter here)

Possibly who was in Satan's mouths (Brutus, Cassius, Judas)?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I missed this FJ because I couldn't remember if Dante had used the term Limbo. So I said Virtuous Pagans, which is his designation for some, but not all of the first circle's inhabitants.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that in FJ I first went with limbo and then changed it to purgatory.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

harrumph wrote:I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that in FJ I first went with limbo and then changed it to purgatory.
Whereas I, probably like some others, first thought of purgatory, then realized that that couldn't be it when it was the name of another of the three parts of the Divine Comedy. I wasn't all that sure of limbo being used then, but it was all I had so I went with it.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Dammit! I've read the Divine Comedy twice, but had no recollection of "limbo." I went with "Purgatory," even though I knew that that was the name of one of the other books in the trilogy and would therefore likely be wrong. Paging MarkBarrett: although I suspect you would have done this anyway, please make "My incorrect answer for Thursday's FJ was Purgatory" a weekly poll choice. :)

I wonder if it helped on this one to be familiar with Catholic theology (which I as a Jewish-born atheist am not), in which "limbo" is a thing.

For "Voyager 1," I had just "Voyager," but I can't imagine I would have gotten a BMS; the two Voyager probes were launched 16 days apart in 1977, and it wouldn't seem reasonable to expect contestants to distinguish between them.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

nlw44 wrote: Whereas I, probably like some others, first thought of purgatory, then realized that that couldn't be it when it was the name of another of the three parts of the Divine Comedy. I wasn't all that sure of limbo being used then, but it was all I had so I went with it.
That's exactly what I did.
Leander

Post by Leander »

harrumph wrote:I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that in FJ I first went with limbo and then changed it to purgatory.

I will be checking it with you, having forgotten about Il Purgatorio, but figuring that limbo didn't seem the right concept for a circle of hell.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Precalled Reba in Redheads, but she wasn't there.

WLT Norway at $200? Vikings was by far the easiest in that category.

Blew right past "Disney" at $200 and was like "How the hell am I supposed to know where Mattel is?" Didn't know Berkshire Hathaway either.

"Animation" was easy to overthink. I was thinking, "what the hell comes from 'instill with life'?" Also didn't know drafting.

Lach Trash: silhouette.

Ran In Explicable and Double "Z"s.

I can never keep presidents before FDR straight no matter how hard I try.

WLT Tehran or asteroid at $400?

No guess on FJ!
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

skrambler wrote:Even though it's been almost 12 years since I read Dante's Inferno, I was sure that I would get the correct response, because here are the only things that I suspect J! would ask about:

1. Limbo

Perhaps that Dante's unrequited love Beatrice took over as tour guide because the pagan Virgil could not enter Paradise.
(Edited.... although upon further reflection, that would be a Divine Comedy question, not specifically Inferno)
Last edited by Steppenwolf on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT asteroid at $400?
A tin foil hat
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I think that there is some irony there. It only took the station in Buffalo 4 days to let its Jeopardy! fans down by not showing Jeopardy!

When was the last time that 'Buffalo' (as in the city in western NY state) was a correct response in the game?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Redhead (4), Scandinavia (3), Luck (3), Inexplicable (3), Hoover (4), State (4)
Women (2), Movie (4), Court (3), Astro (2), Historic (5), "ZZ" (2)

Lach Trash: Stockholm, silhouette, Waterloo, Voyager 1

I guessed purgatory as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:I think that there is some irony there. It only took the station in Buffalo 4 days to let its Jeopardy! fans down by not showing Jeopardy!

When was the last time that 'Buffalo' (as in the city in western NY state) was a correct response in the game?
There was also the coincidence of a clue being read by Louis C. K. while Louis was on the show, having snuck on with the pseudonym Scott Bateman.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Chalk a purgatory up for me.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,000
50 R/1 W (Dupee!)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Stockholm, drafting, Waterloo, FISA, Voyager

"Wit" = Dorothy Parker. All. The. Time.

I didn't know that "silhouette" was named after someone. Cool little factoid.
nlw44 wrote:
Whereas I, probably like some others, first thought of purgatory, then realized that that couldn't be it when it was the name of another of the three parts of the Divine Comedy. I wasn't all that sure of limbo being used then, but it was all I had so I went with it.
I haven't read The Inferno, so my switch was for doctrinal/etymological reasons. While they are often used interchangeably, purgatory and limbo aren't the same thing. Purgatory is, according to Catholic teaching, a place where those who have committed venial sins have them purged before being admitted to Heaven. Limbo (literally "the edge") is where those who died with Original Sin and therefore cannot get into Heaven, but who have not committed mortal sin, are left for eternity.
TenPoundHammer wrote:1. WLT Norway at $200? Vikings was by far the easiest in that category.
2. WLT Tehran at $400?
1. Northernmost Scandinavian country. This one's pretty easy to remember, given that the name literally means "northern way."
2. Capital of country led by the Shah.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Judges ...

Post by dhkendall »

Would simply "Voyager" be accepted for the "pale blue dot" clue (where Alex said "Voyager 1" was the correct response), would it be BMSed, or negged outright? (I'm counting my "Voyager" as a get on my scoresheet for now and, for the record, would probably shrug my shoulders on a BMS (or *possibly* guess "Voyager II"))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012