Friday, September 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7360, 2016-09-16

CONTESTANTS
Christine Schreck, a writer from Berkeley, California
Brandon Barnes, a stock analyst from Tulsa, Oklahoma
Siddharth Hariharan, a student from Herndon, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Even though we are less than one full week into our new season, our players have been performing fantastically well. Another big for Siddharth yesterday. Over $20,000. Brandon and Christine, it could happen to you, too, you know. Let's see if it does. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1999 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITTLE RED CORVETTE (4/5)
SIGN O' THE TIMES (5/5)
BAT DANCE (3/5)
"U" GOT THE LOOK (5/5)
MY NAME IS PRINCE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brandon: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Christine: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Siddharth: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brandon found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Siddharth had $800, Brandon had $1,800, and Christine was at $2,000. Brandon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

1999 $800: Setting in motion a legal battle over digital music rights, this file-sharing service debuted

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brandon: $3,600
Christine: $2,000
Siddharth: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Christine Schreck is a writer from Berkeley, California who spent a semester doing something that sounds unusual.

Christine: Not a lot of people get to do it. Um, during my sophomore year at Notre Dame, I signed up to join a group that one of the highlights was to go to the stadium every Monday and paint the helmets gold.

Alex: I assume it's all spray-painting involved, right?

Christine: A lot of airbrushing, yes.

Alex: Yeah. Did they pay you for that?

Christine: No. It was just a volunteer thing. I would have paid them to let me do it.

Alex: Yeah, but did you get good seats at the games?

Christine: Oh, yes.

Alex: All right. That's good.

Alex: Brandon Barnes is a stock analyst from Tulsa, Oklahoma who traveled a long, long way to get his fiancée's father's approval for marriage.

Brandon: Correct. So, in 1989, after the revolution in Romania, my fiancée and her mother came to the United States. Hadn't been back in a very long time. So we went to visit family over there, and I had a very sweet conversation with her father in his bad English and my even worse Romanian, uh, in which he accepted my proposal.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Siddharth is a student--a medical student, coming this fall--who has played classical guitar since the 2nd grade?

Siddharth: Yep, that's right. Um, my parents took me to a music store, and I picked the guitar 'cause I thought the guitar was cool, but, um, I really liked reading sheet music instead of--yeah.

Alex: That--that's truly amazing. I mean, 2nd grade. And you selected the instrument. Normally the parents say, "You're going to take lessons in this or this." And you're still at it.

Siddharth: Yeah.

Alex: All right.

Siddharth: They let me browse, and I played in college. It was great.

Alex: Okay, well, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BAT DANCE $200: A protein dubbed draculin, found in this secretion of vampire bats, acts as an anticoagulant
(Siddharth: What is blood?)

1999 $600: Serbian forces drove ethnic Albanians out of this now country; after NATO bombing, welcome back, Albanians
(Brandon: What is Bosnia?)
(Christine: What is Montenegro?)

LITTLE RED CORVETTE $800: Myron Scott suggested the name Corvette, which in the dictionary was one of these

MY NAME IS PRINCE $800: It's the alliterative name of Prince's label, as well as his home & studios outside Minneapolis

BAT DANCE $1000: With a wingspan of over 5 feet, one of the largest bats is the giant golden-crowned type of this alliterative bat

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brandon: $7,800
Christine: $2,400
Siddharth: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOUNDS LIKE A COLOR (5/5)
EXPLORERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VEGAS-SET TV SHOWS (4/5)
THEATRE TITLE DUOS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THERE IT IS (5/5)
DOUBLE TALK (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Christine: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Brandon: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Siddharth: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Christine snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Siddharth had $2,600, Brandon had $11,400, and Christine was at $4,000. Christine made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

THEATRE TITLE DUOS $1600: The last line of the 1966 play about this pair is spoken by Horatio
(Christine: What is [*] Are Dead[/i]?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brandon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Siddharth had $3,400, Brandon had $15,400, and Christine was at $16,800. Brandon wagered $2,000.

EXPLORERS $1600: Around 1000 A.D. he sailed west to seek North America, which Bjarni Herjolfsson had sighted

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VEGAS-SET TV SHOWS $1600: Before starring in NBC's "The Player", this actor had "a word of advice" about roulette in a movie--"Always bet on black"

DOUBLE TALK $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, D.C.) Born in 2015, the newest member of the panda family at the Smithsonian's National Zoo was given this name which actually means "precious treasure", not newborn
(Brandon: What is Ling-Ling?)
(Christine: What is Bao Bao?)

THEATRE TITLE DUOS $2000: In a Peter Weiss play, the Marquis de Sade leads inmates in a re-creation of the assassination of this other title guy
(Alex: [*]/Sade[/i].)

EXPLORERS $800: In 1969 his autobiography of 57 years earlier was republished as "A Black Explorer at the North Pole"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Christine: $16,800
Brandon: $15,400
Siddharth: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FILM ADAPTATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Christine: Wager $14,001 to cover Brandon. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $801.
Brandon: Try wagering $2,199, which is as much as you can put up against Christine without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Siddharth.
Siddharth: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Brandon, but if Brandon decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $3,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 2011 slate.com survey of movie credits, of the top 25 most adapted writers, this novelist is the only one living

FINAL SCORES
Siddharth: $6,600 - $66 = $6,534 (Who is Nicholas Sparks?) (21602-day champion: $6,534)
Brandon: $15,400 - $15,400 = $0 (Who is) (3rd place)
Christine: $16,800 - $14,001 = $2,799 (Who is Grisnam?) (2nd place)
(Alex: [To Christine] She wrote down "Who is Grisnam?" Were you thinking--)
(Christine: Grisham. It did--)
(Alex: John Grisham.)
(Christine: It didn't pick up my "H".)
(Alex: Yeah, John Grisham. A good choice, but incorrect.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Christine: $14,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Brandon: $14,000, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Siddharth: $6,600, 9 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Brandon: 22/60 = .367
Christine: 20/59 = .339
Siddharth: 9/58 = .155
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BAT DANCE $400: Townsend's & Ozark are 2 types of a bat named for the large size of these organs; makes sense for echolocation
(Siddharth: What are lungs?)

"U" GOT THE LOOK $1000: Referring to its weight, it's the type of recreational aircraft seen here

SIGN O' THE TIMES $600: If you see someone displaying the sign of distress seen here, be prepared to perform this maneuver

SIGN O' THE TIMES $1000: Groovy, man; the pair of street signs marks an iconic intersection is this city

LITTLE RED CORVETTE $200: The 2004 C5 Chevy Corvette was one of the last cars released with pop-up these
(Christine: What are doors?)

LITTLE RED CORVETTE $600: Soon after he got lucky as Luke, this actor was behind the wheel of a sweet ride in "Corvette Summer"
(Siddharth: Who is Sean Penn?)
(Christine: Who is Paul Newman?)

LITTLE RED CORVETTE $1000: At the 2005 Indy 500, Colin Powell drove a red Corvette that served this pre-contest function

MY NAME IS PRINCE $600: This Irish lass' No. 1 hit "Nothing Compares 2 U" was written by Prince

SOUNDS LIKE A COLOR $2000: A couple of hours from London by car and ferry, it's the holiday isle shown here

EXPLORERS $2000: In 1697 Cossack Vladimir Atlasov claimed this peninsula for Russia
(Brandon: What is the Crimean Peninsula?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Napster
saliva
Kosovo
a warship
Paisley Park
the flying fox bat
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern
Leif Eriksson
Wesley Snipes
Bei Bei
Marat
Matthew Henson
Stephen King
ears
ultralight
the Heimlich
San Francisco
headlights
(Mark) Hamill
a pace car
Sinead O'Connor
the Isle of Wight
the Kamchatka Peninsula
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FILM ADAPTATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 2011 slate.com survey of movie credits, of the top 25 most adapted writers, this novelist is the only one living

Siddharth Hariharan: 6600-66=6534
Brandon Barnes: 15400-15400=0
Christine Schreck: 16800-14001

Correct response:
Spoiler
Stephen King (Siddharth – Nicholas Sparks) (Brandon – Who is) (Christine – Grisham)

Daily Doubles
Brandon: 1800+1800
Christine: 4000+4000
Brandon: 15400+2000

Coryats
Siddharth: 6600
Brandon: 14000
Christine: 14400

Combined: 35,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Normally football ruins J..not this time, J aired at 9 am :)

Glad I didn't think about Grisham for FJ!

Cringed when no one got Henson. Kudos for Christine on TDD.

Oh well...suicide wagers continue. I was so sure Brandon would lockout the champ, as he was hunting for DDs, all-in bet in J round etc. But, oh no! The champ was absolutely outplayed today!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

I also watched on WBZ at 10:30 (here) before checking out of my room and heading down to Halifax for my last day here. The categories were certainly favo(u)rable to me, but I wonder if I was a bit more locked in because I was charting for TJ!F. Whatever it was, I posted a $33,200 Coryat - higher than all but two regular games last season. That said, it was dampened by missing a gettable Final. Horror is a blind spot of mine, and I didn't even think of Grisham - the best I could do was Crichton.

Because I was charting and making sure I got the Final for Andy, I initially gave little thought to the wagers. I suspect Vermonter may be handing out his first gray (or even white?) of Season 33 in a couple hours.
Last edited by mfc248 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I didn't know the answer for FJ, but he was my first guess. What books of his haven't been made into movies?
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

I also guessed Nicholas Sparks! Grisham is a great guess also. Tough clue with so many seemingly credible answers. And movies are my wheelhouse.

This game shows why wagering is crucial. I mean, Brandon buddy, what were you thinking!
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Glad I didn't think about Grisham for FJ!
You and me both.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JFanForever wrote:I didn't know the answer for FJ, but he was my first guess. What books of his haven't been made into movies?
Pretty much why I stuck with King over Grisham.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

doihavetoreally wrote:Oh well...suicide wagers continue. I was so sure Brandon would lockout the champ, as he was hunting for DDs, all-in bet in J round etc. But, oh no! The champ was absolutely outplayed today!
The wagering is in midseason form. Never change, 2nd place players.

I looked it up, and assuming this is the list they're talking about, 127 seems ridiculous. I wonder if he's really been adapted that many times, or if they're just counting every writer credit. Not that it would change the FJ answer.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Stephen King was an instaget for me, I was very surprised it was a TS.

To put on my best TPH impression, NHO Nicholas Sparks.

Christine should probably be glad it wasn't Grisham, since they might not have given her credit for Grisnam. I don't buy "the pen wasn't responding" excuse myself, and if the pen really was malfunctioning, she should have written out the answer on the index card that they give you as a backup.

Poor Brandon, it all unraveled for him towards the end. The inadequate wager on the last DD was bad enough, but then to first lose the lead by ringing in on the last clue, and then to lose everything from second place when the leader missed FJ and the trailer was so far behind? That's something.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Considered Sparks, Grisham, James Patterson (couldn't come up with his name, just "the Alex Cross guy"), and Michael Crichton, but none of them felt right (Crichton might have if he were alive). Then King clicked, and yeah, it's him.

Glad King occurred to me before Tom Clancy, because I'd have gone back and forth on whether they meant someone living now or at the time and did it matter for Clancy or not (for the record, yes).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Siddharth could have wagered more than half of his score and still would have won. I suspect he wagered that piddley amount because it was a very weak subject for him. Good on him for not using Brandon's strategy and throwing an easy win down the drain. Might as well call that a Clavin (sp) from 2nd place.

Stephen King popped into my head about 15 seconds into the think music. It always feels good to get one when the actual contestants have a TS.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

pauerpoint wrote: Poor Brandon, it all unraveled for him towards the end. The inadequate wager on the last DD was bad enough, but then to first lose the lead by ringing in on the last clue, and then to lose everything from second place when the leader missed FJ and the trailer was so far behind? That's something.
Brandon could've wagered to force Christine to get it right, without letting Siddharth back in. Hell, his was the perfect position to be in for a TS, it would've been worse to be in the lead and have to bet big to cover 2nd. *shrug* Water, wet, sunrise, east, 2nd place, suicide wagers. The accounting dept. thanks him.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Locked onto John Grisham immediately and he never let go. Also considered Sparks. Never came close to King, although he's obvious in retrospect.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What's the point in being named after a Stephen King novel if you're just going to guess Grisham?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Went 3-2 in FJ this week.

Nailed Stephen King cold.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:What's the point in being named after a Stephen King novel if you're just going to guess Grisham?
I see what you did there.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Corvette (3), Times (3), Bat (3), 1999 (5), Look (2), Prince (3)
Color (5), Explorer (2), Vegas (4), Theatre (2), There (3), Talk (3)

Lach Trash: Kosovo, Jean-Paul Marat

Instaget FJ.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

pauerpoint wrote:Stephen King was an instaget for me, I was very surprised it was a TS.

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Nailed Stephen King cold.
Thee and me. And even if I wasn't such a fan of King's work, I still would have gotten it. It's always cool to nab a Final TS, but my jaw still dropped when tonight's Final TS became official.

Also can't believe Paisley Park (which I got AND ran the My Name Is Prince category) was a TS.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven