Thursday, September 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, September 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

For a group that ended up with decent scores, I was surprised that there were two triple stumpers in Scandinavia. It's not like there are hundreds - or even tens - of countries to choose from. Early game jitters??
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Judges ...

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote:Would simply "Voyager" be accepted for the "pale blue dot" clue (where Alex said "Voyager 1" was the correct response), would it be BMSed, or negged outright? (I'm counting my "Voyager" as a get on my scoresheet for now and, for the record, would probably shrug my shoulders on a BMS (or *possibly* guess "Voyager II"))
I also said Voyager, but I expect it would have led to a BMS, at which point I would have added the 1 to the name.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Can't recall the exact clue wordings, but howzabout "mechanical drawing" for "drafting", and "frazzle" for "tizzy"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mrparadise wrote:Can't recall the exact clue wordings, but howzabout "mechanical drawing" for "drafting", and "frazzle" for "tizzy"?
I said mechanical drawing and I don't think that would be negged.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Would simply "Voyager" be accepted for the "pale blue dot" clue (where Alex said "Voyager 1" was the correct response), would it be BMSed, or negged outright? (I'm counting my "Voyager" as a get on my scoresheet for now and, for the record, would probably shrug my shoulders on a BMS (or *possibly* guess "Voyager II"))
I also said Voyager, but I expect it would have led to a BMS, at which point I would have added the 1 to the name.
As I wrote upthread, I think it very unlikely that my answer of "Voyager" (which I'm counting) would have been BMS'd. You're talking about two probes that were launched 16 days apart in 1977, and Voyager 2 was actually launched first. Not reasonable to expect a contestant in 2016 to know which one took that photo. Besides, dealing with the show's precedent: "King James" is sufficient but "Voyager" isn't? If you know that it was one of the twin Voyager probes, that should be enough, and I think it would have been enough for the judges.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote:For a group that ended up with decent scores, I was surprised that there were two triple stumpers in Scandinavia. It's not like there are hundreds - or even tens - of countries to choose from. Early game jitters??
Or maybe fear of the double whammy. I ring in and guess wrong which narrows it down for you and you get it right on the rebound. Suddenly a $600 clue yields a $1200 swing.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:For a group that ended up with decent scores, I was surprised that there were two triple stumpers in Scandinavia. It's not like there are hundreds - or even tens - of countries to choose from. Early game jitters??
Or maybe fear of the double whammy. I ring in and guess wrong which narrows it down for you and you get it right on the rebound. Suddenly a $600 clue yields a $1200 swing.
Except, IIRC, Norway and Denmark were already out of the way, leaving a choice of just three other countries (and one of the missed clues essentially said, "well, some people don't consider this one to be part of Scandinavia").

It was just an odd collective brain freeze on a couple of easy clues.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

econgator wrote:
mrparadise wrote:Can't recall the exact clue wordings, but howzabout "mechanical drawing" for "drafting", and "frazzle" for "tizzy"?
I said mechanical drawing and I don't think that would be negged.
Agreed. Dictionary.com (per Random House) defines mechanical drawing as "drawing, as of machinery, done with the aid of rulers, scales, compasses, etc." IIRC, that matches the clue nearly word for word.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had mechanical drawing and counted it with no hesitation as that was what it was called in 7th grade when I had to spend a year doing that, metal shop, wood shop and graphic arts.

Yes, purgatory will be a poll option and I'll check it as well. My limited precalls were "abandon all hope...", Beatrice and purgatory. If I would have thought of limbo my instincts tell me I most likely would have gone the right way on the 50:50 toss up.

I am guessing this is the work that Scott referenced? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4325732/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_2
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Missed watching this episode, but checked the FJ here. Instaget. Helps to be Catholic. The term used for the ancient historical figures mentioned is "Virtuous pagans". Thus, those figures are in the limbo of the virtuous pagans. There is also the limbo of the unbaptized infants.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had mechanical drawing and counted it with no hesitation as that was what it was called in 7th grade when I had to spend a year doing that, metal shop, wood shop and graphic arts.
And I took a class called "Drafting I" in 12th grade, and drafting is all we did all year. I won the school award that year for being the best student in "technology and industrial education."
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Best game so far this season, although there was still plenty of LT. (Only got "Stockholm" and "Waterloo" myself) And I spoiled a chance at my first-ever perfect FJ week by going with "purgatory". Didn't think of "limbo", and I couldn't even tell you the difference before BigDaddyMatty helpfully explained it.

I can see the new champion Siddharth stringing together a few victories.
davey

Post by davey »

Glad that others confirm "mechanical drawing" is acceptable. A frazzle is almost the opposite of a tizzy. The former is "nervous exhaustion."
Took me a moment to remember Limbo, but I knew it couldn't be Purgatorio...
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:I think that there is some irony there. It only took the station in Buffalo 4 days to let its Jeopardy! fans down by not showing Jeopardy!

When was the last time that 'Buffalo' (as in the city in western NY state) was a correct response in the game?
There was also the coincidence of a clue being read by Louis C. K. while Louis was on the show, having snuck on with the pseudonym Scott Bateman.
So glad somebody said it!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Besides, dealing with the show's precedent: "King James" is sufficient but "Voyager" isn't?
I don't know how to judge the Voyager question, but the King James clue dealt with something named for him with exactly that level of specificity (not to mention a time period in which there was no need to say more, although I didn't like that particular argument).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Is "enanimalate" really a word, or did Amy coin it for her contestant interview?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Woof wrote:
Def >> BMS; AT: "Need a little more...?" :?:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!