Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by dhkendall »

mitchparov wrote:
dipayanban wrote:Hey, I'm Dipayan. I'm a freshman at Stanton College Prep in Jacksonville, FL and a member of the JV Brain Brawl team. My first recollection of watching Jeopardy is following watching Ken Jennings' streak, and although I didn't know any of the questions, being only five, I decided that I was going to be on J! someday. Hopefully being a member of this board will help me with getting good enough to make it on Jeopardy! :mrgreen:
People who were five during Ken's run are now in high school.

::starts looking for retirement communities::
Just barely, I always know exactly how long ago Ken's run was, because I've related the story about how my son's birth coincided with the end of his run (he was born about 3 weeks before his last game, and despite my diligently watching to see when he'd lose, my son's medical issues at birth prevented me from seeing the last game (though I did catch the one immediately after)). My son is now a happy, healthy, seven year old.

7+5=12, so dipayan must have been an old five.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

hi my name I jax, I'm new here obviously. I've always sort of watched jeopardy but started watching it every night when joon started his run. I'm a sophomore in high school and on the jv academic team. We went to state playoffs but lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winners. I've always wanted to be on jeopardy and am really wondering when they will open up registration again...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jaxjags wrote:hi my name I jax, I'm new here obviously. I've always sort of watched jeopardy but started watching it every night when joon started his run. I'm a sophomore in high school and on the jv academic team. We went to state playoffs but lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winners. I've always wanted to be on jeopardy and am really wondering when they will open up registration again...
Jax,
With very few exceptions, registration for online testing takes place at the end of the calendar year, with the tests occurring in February. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to play at home watching Jeopardy, play the games here like Think Different and Who's Special and also to play online quizzes at places like Sporcle.

Good luck!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Woof wrote:
jaxjags wrote:hi my name I jax, I'm new here obviously. I've always sort of watched jeopardy but started watching it every night when joon started his run. I'm a sophomore in high school and on the jv academic team. We went to state playoffs but lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winners. I've always wanted to be on jeopardy and am really wondering when they will open up registration again...
Jax,
With very few exceptions, registration for online testing takes place at the end of the calendar year, with the tests occurring in February. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to play at home watching Jeopardy, play the games here like Think Different and Who's Special and also to play online quizzes at places like Sporcle.

Good luck!
I think you'd be eligible for the Teen Tournament, though. The word on the official site is: "The test has been postponed, and registration is unavailable. Please check back soon."
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

Magna wrote:
Woof wrote:
Jax,

Good luck!
I think you'd be eligible for the Teen Tournament, though. The word on the official site is: "The test has been postponed, and registration is unavailable. Please check back soon."
Yeah, I think on the facebook page they said they would reopen registration since the test was postponed.

From lurking a bit on this board, I definitely love it. A nice board where everyone loves jeopardy, and even former contestants and champions. Hopefully this board will help me out if I ever eventually get on jeopardy
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

Howdy!

I'm Erin. My last name is rather embarrassing, so y'all don't get to know it unless I get on the air ;) I moved to Santa Fe this week. I'm originally from Austin, TX, but I before New Mexico, I was in Montana for several years. I'm 26, and I have a degree in Forestry. After working for conservation nonprofits for a few years, I decided to move down here to focus on my writing. I currently own two horses, a mule and a dog. My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. With any luck, I'll get a goat soon. At other points in my life, I've had chickens (I might get more soon), meat rabbits, hamsters, hedgehogs, finches, cockatiels, quail, mice and frogs. My mother drew the line at reptiles :) Those animal categories most of the Jeopardy contestants leave for last . . . I eat those up.

My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. My mother, her mother and I used to have trivial pursuit death matches. They're both very excited that I have an audition this month. I don't think either of them ever got up the nerve to take the test. I was the captain of my Certamen team in high school, so I'm hoping I'll do alright with the buzzers. I'll be praying for Mythology, Science and Geography and hoping Classical Music and Sports don't show up!

Erin
Rahsputin
Contributor

Post by Rahsputin »

Hi,

I just received an audition invitation, so I've been poking around on the net to see what kind of crowd wisdom I could benefit from... and landed on this site.
Thought I'd actually join instead of being a lurker? (Do they even call it that anymore--I don't think I've used that term since I was dialing in to a BBS on my 14400 modem :mrgreen: )

I'm from Vancouver.. well I'm from all over, but I live just outside of Vancouver. Can't say that I see too many Canadians on the show, so hopefully that won't work against me. I have a funny nugget/tidbit though: I lived in Trebek's hometown of Sudbury when I was a lad. That's got to be worth a nickel.

I'm a writer, which I guess puts me in an overstuffed category (along with white, nearly middle-aged male). The sad thing is that my interests are so fricken lame that I don't know what they'll find to talk about... I mean gardening (food not flowers)? business news junkie? The time I won the district chess championship and when they delivered the trophy, I was sitting in front of the principal's office like some poor man's Good Will Hunting?
man, the humour is dry in cyberspace.

See you around folks
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rahsputin wrote:... That's got to be worth a nickel.
I'd say! A really big one!

Welcome!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Hi, my first name is John and I've qualified for J! Quite a few times since 1995 but I haven't received a call yet and frankly, I'm not expecting it at this point. I've been watching the show since the Art Fleming days and somd things aren't meant to be.

I live in the NY area and I'm about to retire from a career as an air traffic controller for jfk Approach. I can't wait to move out of NY and relax with golf and tennis.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Johnblue wrote:I live in the NY area and I'm about to retire from a career as an air traffic controller for jfk Approach. I can't wait to move out of NY and relax with golf and tennis.
So that's who sent all those ^*%)@#! airplanes right over my head when I lived in the Five Towns!
earendel

Post by earendel »

Rahsputin wrote:Hi,

I just received an audition invitation, so I've been poking around on the net to see what kind of crowd wisdom I could benefit from... and landed on this site.
Thought I'd actually join instead of being a lurker? (Do they even call it that anymore--I don't think I've used that term since I was dialing in to a BBS on my 14400 modem :mrgreen: )

I'm from Vancouver.. well I'm from all over, but I live just outside of Vancouver. Can't say that I see too many Canadians on the show, so hopefully that won't work against me. I have a funny nugget/tidbit though: I lived in Trebek's hometown of Sudbury when I was a lad. That's got to be worth a nickel.

I'm a writer, which I guess puts me in an overstuffed category (along with white, nearly middle-aged male). The sad thing is that my interests are so fricken lame that I don't know what they'll find to talk about... I mean gardening (food not flowers)? business news junkie? The time I won the district chess championship and when they delivered the trophy, I was sitting in front of the principal's office like some poor man's Good Will Hunting?

See you around folks
What city did you get the invitation for, when did you take the test and what do you think your score was?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Rahsputin
Contributor

Post by Rahsputin »

@earendel
What city did you get the invitation for, when did you take the test and what do you think your score was?
Dallas (Mar 29)
Jan 19th test
42 (=/- 1)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

alietr wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I live in the NY area and I'm about to retire from a career as an air traffic controller for jfk Approach. I can't wait to move out of NY and relax with golf and tennis.
So that's who sent all those ^*%)@#! airplanes right over my head when I lived in the Five Towns!
Sorry but they have to go over someone's house! The folks in certain parts of Nassau are really up in arms these days.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

See you around folks

There's tons of material in gardening! Did you grow any interesting varieties. I grow bright purple potatoes and then confuse people with lavender mashed potatoes. Do you actually grow enough to eliminate buying produce? Did you ever have to battle a garden pest? Any successful or unsuccessful food preservation projects? Sauerkraut comes to mind.

I'll see you in Dallas. My audition is the same day.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:Howdy!

I'm Erin. My last name is rather embarrassing, so y'all don't get to know it unless I get on the air ;) I moved to Santa Fe this week. I'm originally from Austin, TX, but I before New Mexico, I was in Montana for several years. I'm 26, and I have a degree in Forestry. After working for conservation nonprofits for a few years, I decided to move down here to focus on my writing. I currently own two horses, a mule and a dog. My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. With any luck, I'll get a goat soon. At other points in my life, I've had chickens (I might get more soon), meat rabbits, hamsters, hedgehogs, finches, cockatiels, quail, mice and frogs. My mother drew the line at reptiles :) Those animal categories most of the Jeopardy contestants leave for last . . . I eat those up.

My mule and I rode the southern half of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail a few years ago. My mother, her mother and I used to have trivial pursuit death matches. They're both very excited that I have an audition this month. I don't think either of them ever got up the nerve to take the test. I was the captain of my Certamen team in high school, so I'm hoping I'll do alright with the buzzers. I'll be praying for Mythology, Science and Geography and hoping Classical Music and Sports don't show up!

Erin
My grandmother grew up in Santa Fe, in this house
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:

See you around folks

There's tons of material in gardening! Did you grow any interesting varieties. I grow bright purple potatoes and then confuse people with lavender mashed potatoes. Do you actually grow enough to eliminate buying produce? Did you ever have to battle a garden pest? Any successful or unsuccessful food preservation projects? Sauerkraut comes to mind.

Welcome to both of you, and good luck at your auditions!
Hooray chickens! I love my chickens! I also have a big food garden, and I agree you could get a lot of good stories out of gardening. Ever forget to wear gloves while weeding and walk around with green hands? Do you grow any varieties of veggies with funny names? And the Sudbury connection must be mentioned. of course.
Erin, I am from Dallas but lived in Austin for 20 years. Rahsputin, your puppy is adorable!
Rahsputin
Contributor

Post by Rahsputin »

Welcome to both of you, and good luck at your auditions!
Hooray chickens! I love my chickens! I also have a big food garden, and I agree you could get a lot of good stories out of gardening. Ever forget to wear gloves while weeding and walk around with green hands? Do you grow any varieties of veggies with funny names? And the Sudbury connection must be mentioned. of course.
Erin, I am from Dallas but lived in Austin for 20 years. Rahsputin, your puppy is adorable!
Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'm kind of a lettuce fanatic--I grow more than a dozen varieties in my garden (and three kinds of spinach) all of which is about as exciting as C-Span. The only thing I can think of is the war I have with the local wildlife, most of whom are my pets. My cute dog and I have a war where she tries to find ways into the garden and pulls up onions, potatoes, and--her favourite--the patience-testing parsnips. I've lost the war of deterrence with my cat and the neighbourhood cats; I have a stash of used teabags that I throw at them (that makes me sound like I'm 100, but my wife is half English and I need to throw something that has a satisfying weight but won't do any damage). Maybe I need a goat like Erin. Or a couple of feisty roosters?

Good luck to y'all
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Rahsputin wrote:Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'm kind of a lettuce fanatic--I grow more than a dozen varieties in my garden (and three kinds of spinach) all of which is about as exciting as C-Span. The only thing I can think of is the war I have with the local wildlife, most of whom are my pets. My cute dog and I have a war where she tries to find ways into the garden and pulls up onions, potatoes, and--her favourite--the patience-testing parsnips. I've lost the war of deterrence with my cat and the neighbourhood cats; I have a stash of used teabags that I throw at them (that makes me sound like I'm 100, but my wife is half English and I need to throw something that has a satisfying weight but won't do any damage). Maybe I need a goat like Erin. Or a couple of feisty roosters?
Good luck to y'all
See, I think a dozen varieities of lettuce is interesting (probably because I've grown that many too) - it might be one of those interviews where Alex looks askance at you for being strange, but in a sweet humorous way. You could admit it's kind of boring but keeps your salads lively... And the dog digging up parsnips is a story right there... and the teabags!!
I'm laughing at the teabags! Fortunately my cats were all raised indoors so they really don't get into digging (and mostly wait until I let them back in to use the litterbox!) and luckily the wild kitties don't seem interested in the garden. They just mark all the tools and bags of stuff -ugh. My cats just roll in the catnip patch (note - always leave a cat's length of distance between the catnip and valuable plants.) My main problem is armadillos - they root everything up. Chickens will tear up your garden scratching - mine are fenced in a very large electric pen. Guineas are alleged to be good at keeping critters off without scratching up too many plants, and I must say since we've had them, I haven't seen any bunnies around, and fewer neighborhood cats (they can tell the difference between our cats and strange ones.)
Hannah S.
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Hannah S. »

Just introducing myself after lurking for a while! Hannah from Los Angeles; my air date is this Friday (March 16).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Welcome, Hannah, and best of retroactive luck!