Tuesday, October 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7372, 2016-10-04

Seth Wilson game 12.

WE ASKED: Matthew Weiner.

CONTESTANTS
Ben Wynns, a nonprofit coordinator from New York City, New York
Joe Schneider, a senior index editor from Old Bridge, New Jersey
Seth Wilson, a Ph.D. candidate from Chicago, Illinois (whose 11-day cash winnings total $245,002)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm pretty safe in saying that Seth has won enough money on Jeopardy! to pay off all of his student loans. Joe and Ben, good to have you with us, and good luck to all three as we go to work now in the Jeopardy! Round, a round with one Daily Double! It'll come up in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SALUTE THE RED, WHITE & BLUE (5/5)
THEATER TALK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HAVE AN "EF"ECT (5/5)
KEEP IT 100 (5/5)
WHAT A TV CHARACTER! (4/5)
IT'S THE CATALINA WINE MIXER (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Ben: 9 R, 1 W
Joe: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Seth found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Seth had $1,800, Joe was scoreless, and Ben was at $2,000. Seth made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

THEATER TALK $800: The 3 elements of drama according to German theater critic Gustav Freytag: rising action, this, falling action

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Seth: $6,800
Ben: $2,800
Joe: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ben Wynns is from New York City. And when he came out of college, got his dream job, which was...

Ben: I worked for a professional soccer team in their front office--the Charleston Battery.

Alex: Now why soccer? What interested you in soccer as a young man?

Ben: Um, I have always been a fan. And, uh, I--I have, you know. I don't know. I guess I got kinda sick of American sports after some point.

Alex: Uh-huh. Do you play soccer? Did you?

Ben: Yes. Mm-hmm. Yeah.

Alex: Were you good at it?

Ben: More of a destroyer than a creator, to use, uh, soccer terms, yeah.

Alex: Okay. Well, good for you.

Ben: Mm-hmm. Thank you.

Alex: Joe Schneider from New Jersey.

Joe: That's right.

Alex: Right next door to New York. Now you don't have any money at the moment.

Joe: That's right.

Alex: And I know that you practice zen meditation. In the first part of the round, you weren't practicing zen meditation, were you?

Joe: Not at all. I've fallen off a little bit. But, uh, yes, this was something that I've been doing for about 9 years. I was meditating by myself for a year. Then I decided I really need a group, uh, to get me going. I searched online. I found a--an excellent one near me at Rutgers. It's just been a--a--a great help and a wonderful thing.

Alex: A help in what way, precisely?

Joe: Um, just generally waking up and feeling--feel--feeling great about the day ahead and, uh...

Alex: And about yourself.

Joe: Yeah.

Alex: That's wonderful. Terrific.

Alex: Seth, Jay Cutler...

Seth: Yes.

Alex: Quarterback for the Chicago Bears.

Seth: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You had an encounter with him.

Seth: Yes. Uh, he and I went to the same undergraduate institution. And, uh, I shared an elevator with him one time. And, um, his, uh, there were a couple of linemen with him. They had been, uh, out to eat, I think. And they asked me if I recognized them. And I said, "Of course. He's the most successful quarterback we've had probably ever." So, uh, it was a brush with greatness.

Alex: Okay. Are you a Chicago Bears fan?

Seth: Uh, they are probably my third favorite team in the league. Yes.

Alex: What's your favorite team?

Seth: Uh, the Falcons.

Alex: Atlanta Falcons.

Seth: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Okay. Yeah. Let's see how things work out this season.

Seth: Yes.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT A TV CHARACTER! $400: From 1970 to 2011 "All My Children" sizzled with Susan Lucci as this character

IT'S THE CATALINA WINE MIXER $600: After hearing my bawdy joke, my wife did this, also a synonym for the rosé she was drinking

IT'S THE CATALINA WINE MIXER $1000: The band played "The Longest Time" & I drank some maestro, a blend made for this epic winemaker's 50th anniversary

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Seth: $8,600
Ben: $4,800
Joe: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BRITISH HISTORY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE (1/5)
BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS BY SETTING (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RHYMES WITH A STATE (3/5)
LAZARUS (4/5)
RISING (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ben: 4 R, 2 W
Joe: 4 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joe snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Seth had $9,400, Joe had $4,200, and Ben was at $6,400. Joe made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,200.

BRITISH HISTORY $1200: In December 1947 Parliament passed the law granting independence to this Asian island
(Joe: What is Singapore?)
(Alex: They gave independence to India and to Pakistan and [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Seth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Seth had $11,400, Joe was scoreless, and Ben was at $6,400. Seth wagered $2,000.

BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS BY SETTING $2000: A Nobel Prize ceremony in Stockholm
(Seth: What is The Theory of Everything?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE $800: The feather covering on birds; it has a more drab type that appears on the young to camouflage them
(Ben: What is down?)

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) What appears to be a simple bowl of water is actually filled with polymer-based jelly marbles that seem to disappear because they have the same index of this light-bending quality as the water

RHYMES WITH A STATE $1200: Pardner, it's a term for the center or core of something
(Ben: What is the axis?)
(Alex: Rhymes with Texas.)

LAZARUS $1600: Mel Lazarus, who passed away in 2016, created "Mama" & this other comic strip about a teacher with a fruit name

RHYMES WITH A STATE $1600: An excessively intense enthusiasm, in a person or a group
(Alex: Rhymes with Pennsylvania.)

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE $1600: A rainbow is a spectrum arranged by this, with red's the longest

RISING $2000: As an adjective it means caused by heat; as a noun it means a rising current of warm air used by hang gliders
(Joe: What is an updraft?)

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE $2000: The ring is called a solar halo, and the two bright images on the side get this canine term when light passes through icy clouds

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Seth: $19,400 (lock game)
Ben: $6,400
Joe: -$400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IN THE NOVEL

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Seth: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Ben: You've no hope of catching up... unless Seth does something stupid. So risk as much as $6,399; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1st scene in this book: "With the brass nozzle in his fists, with this great python spitting its venomous kerosene"

FINAL SCORES
Ben: $6,400 + $6,400 = $12,800 (What is Fahrenheit 451) (2nd place)
Seth: $19,400 + $600 = $20,000 (What is Fahrenheit 451?) (245003-day champion: $20,000)
(Alex: All about a fireman doing something he's not supposed to do, just the opposite.)
(Alex: [*], Ray Bradbury's novel.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Seth: $20,400, 26 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ben: $6,400, 13 R, 3 W
Joe: $3,800, 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Seth: 27/60 = .450
Ben: 14/58 = .241
Joe: 8/59 = .136
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHAT A TV CHARACTER! $600: (I'm Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner.) I said this character I created "likes winning strangers over. He likes seducing strangers, and that's what advertising is"

SALUTE THE RED, WHITE & BLUE $200: This state's flag is easily flown upside down by mistake; it's even happened over the Capitol in Nashville

SALUTE THE RED, WHITE & BLUE $400: Many nations adopted this country's tricolored design

SALUTE THE RED, WHITE & BLUE $600: The stars & squares belong to this country that the U.S. helped become independent from Colombia

SALUTE THE RED, WHITE & BLUE $800: The stars on New Zealand's flag represent this constellation

SALUTE THE RED, WHITE & BLUE $1000: The shield on this nation's flag was added in 1992 to make it different from the Russian tricolor flag

HAVE AN "EF"ECT $600: In math it's the 9 in the expression 9x
(Ben: What is the efficient?)

RHYMES WITH A STATE $400: It's the word for someone from Copenhagen
(Alex: [*], rhymes with Maine.)

RISING $1600: Abbreviated C.O.L.A., it's a wage increase to help workers keep up with rising prices
(Joe: What's a cost of living, uh...)

CORRECT RESPONSES
climax
Erica Kane
blush
Robert Mondavi
Sri Lanka
A Beautiful Mind
plumage
refraction
nexus
Miss Peach
a mania
wavelength
a thermal
sun dogs
Fahrenheit 451
Don Draper
Tennessee
France
Panama
the Southern Cross
Slovakia
coefficient
Dane
a cost of living allowance
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IN THE NOVEL

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1st scene in this book: "With the brass nozzle in his fists, with this great python spitting its venomous kerosene"

Seth Wilson: 19400+600=20000 (12X = $265,002)
Joe Schneider: minus 400
Ben Wynns: 6400+12800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Fahrenheit 451

Daily Doubles
Seth: 1800+1800
Joe: 4200-4200
Seth: 11400-2000

Coryats
Seth: 20400
Joe: 3800
Ben: 6400

Combined: 30,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I believe COLA in the context of the question should have been "adjustment". Allowance is something different.

Seems like Fahrenheit 451 should be required reading for potential Jeopardy contestants.

I confess to going with Singapore on that DD too.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

All those TSes and we finished both rounds without a warning?? *sigh*

Was feeling pretty good about myself after sweeping that movie setting category, then damn near skunked the state rhymes.

So, of course dhk went 5/5 with the flags, but I wonder, do you mute the sound, close your eyes for the first couple of seconds, anything to add a bit of challenge? :lol: (4/5 here. Slovakia wasn't happening.)

FJ category had me worried. I'm not terrible with literature, but exact quotes can trip me up, even with books I've read relatively recently. Spraying kerosene, though? It was a pleasure to burn. Super-instaget.

Another day, another rout, and another contestant who had a chance to make it a game with a big DD bet, but failed. 1947 + British + granting independence screams India/Pakistan, so the jump to Sri Lanka was an easy one. Not sure why he threw away a chance at playing FJ with that 2k guess.
Leander wrote:I believe COLA in the context of the question should have been "adjustment". Allowance is something different.
Anyone have the exact wording? I said adjustment as well.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Another "adjustment" here.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Doing the flag category with your eyes closed wouldn't be that hard.

What state's capital in Nashville? (Seth is a Chattanooga native so he knew it right away).

What country has a tri-color flag?

What constellation is on New Zealand's flag?

I didn't know Slovakia and I have forgotten the other one, but I don't recall it being too tough.

I read something the other day about Singapore's independence so that steered me away from there and I got Sri Lanka.

I also said Cost of Living Adjustment.

I read an article about Seth on-line right before the show and it said he has always been an avid reader and would read two books at once as a kid and still has every book he ever owned, including college textbooks. So his small wager in FJ surprised me.

I got it pretty much right away and I think it is a triple get in the Teen Tournament. Should poll pretty high.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Leander wrote:I believe COLA in the context of the question should have been "adjustment". Allowance is something different.
I don't have the wording, but the "Allowance" is basically something servicemen get to make up for disparities in the cost of living as compared to their base pay. The "Adjustment" is the increase in something SocSec, for example, due to changes in inflation. Pretty sure the clue was referring to the latter.
The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

Agree with adjustment. The kerosene sent me down the Slaughterhouse five trapdoor. Otherwise j and dj not as user weird (opposite of user friendly) as yesterday.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

What constellation is on New Zealand's flag?
The Southern Cross.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Here's the wording:

"Abbreviated C.O.L.A., it's a wage increase to help workers keep up with rising prices."

I also went with cost of living adjustments. From my experience, the "adjustment" is used a lot in pension valuations to determine future cash flows, both in and out.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Another 'adjustment' here on rebound.

Fonz full name - are they looking for just last name(which I have a vauge idea) (or) do they need first name too (which I have no idea)?

Agree that first four in Flag didn't need actual flags. I didn't get Slovakia,,,not sure what the exact wording was....(paging dkh)

FJ didn't ignite. 0/2 this week.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
clprez

Post by clprez »

Another adjustment here, too.

I went to ssa.gov/cola (the social security web site), it states that it's the Cost-of-Living Adjustment.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Bamaman wrote:Doing the flag category with your eyes closed wouldn't be that hard.

What state's capital in Nashville? (Seth is a Chattanooga native so he knew it right away).

What country has a tri-color flag?
Ireland, Italy, Romania in addition to France, just off the top of my head. And those are only the ones I can think of with vertical stripes. Then there are the horizontal stripes, such as Bulgaria, Russia or Germany, and other tricolour arrangements such as Norway or the UK.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: I read an article about Seth on-line right before the show and it said he has always been an avid reader and would read two books at once as a kid and still has every book he ever owned, including college textbooks. So his small wager in FJ surprised me.
Seth has a jones for nice round numbers and his shortsightedness cost him $5,000 in this FInal. You'd think with $230,000 under his belt, he would loosen up when the opportunity arose.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,400
42 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Erica Kane, blush, A Beautiful Mind (DD), plumage, refraction, wavelength

I got FJ! as soon as Alex mentioned the fireman doing something he shouldn't, but I had no clue otherwise.

COLA is definitely "adjustment" in the context of the clue. "Allowance" is what servicemen and others are given to offset the burden of living in a relatively expensive location (e.g., Japan).

Am I the only one who resents Seth's still being champion after he clearly lost the game to the roller derby chick?
CailinGaoilge wrote:
Bamaman wrote:What country has a tri-color flag?
Ireland, Italy, Romania in addition to France, just off the top of my head. And those are only the ones I can think of with vertical stripes. Then there are the horizontal stripes, such as Bulgaria, Russia or Germany, and other tricolour arrangements such as Norway or the UK.
Right, but the category was about red/white/blue flags, and a design known as a "tricolor" that many other countries have adopted screams "France."
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Got LT of refractive index and wavelength, although I could have had several more. (Should have pulled the trigger on A Beautiful Mind)

A rare miss on a literature FJ for me. Frustratingly so, since I've read the book and have an excellent memory of all its parts. Oh well.

Another very good, but not overwhelming game by the champion. He showed once again how strong he is at theater, and demonstrated an aptitude at wine, too.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnny sounded really shaky in the intro.

NHO "curtain call".

Lach Trash: Erica Kane, plumage, refraction, thermal, sun dog.

C = 100 eludes me yet again. Suggestions on keeping Roman Numerals straight since I always blank on them? Even worse, I got the next four.

All but Slovakia in Red, White & Blue.

WLT "Dry" at $200? That whole category was YEKIOYD and a half.

WLT "Restoration" at $400?

5/5 in title recognition, but only got the first two in Oscars.

Stupidly clammed on "panorama" because I couldn't match it to a state.

Didn't recognize anything in British History as usual.

NHO "Miss Peach" though I'm quite familiar with many comics, including "Momma".

Brass nozzle in his fist? Kerosene? None of that means anything to me, so I'm clueless.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

#4296, aired 2003-04-14 BUSINESS ABBREV. $1000: A salary increase in response to inflation: COLA (What is cost of living adjustment?)
#3086, aired 1998-01-19 _____ OF _____ $400: The adjustment that a "COLA" in your contract gives you (What is cost of living?)

#7372, aired 2016-10-04 RISING $1600: Abbreviated C.O.L.A., it's a wage increase to help workers keep up with rising prices (What is cost of living allowance?)
#3482, aired 1999-10-26 THE SHORT VERSION $1000: To a retiree on a fixed income: COLA (What is cost of living allowance?)

I'm already in good company with my response of cost of living adjustment tonight that has to be acceptable.

Seth's #1 football team is the Falcons and the Bears are his #3. He is introduced from Illinois. That seems to leave it open for a number of teams for his #2. I can't imagine it's another NFC North team.

I've never read a line of the Bradbury work, but I have watched J! for 33 seasons. Clue's up. Done.

BDM: Seth did not clearly lose to Miranda in #7 for the simple reason that he's still playing. Miranda should have wagered more and defeated him? Yes, that is true. It's no different than Seth trailed in game 1 and only won because Dorcas did not get a very solvable FJ! clue.

Breaks happen and one little thing can change the timeline on J!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote:damn near skunked the state rhymes.
Agreed, that was a tough category. Half the time I couldn't even come up with a word, and the times that I could I was like "does that rhyme with a state?" Kind of, maybe? (The rhymes weren't always the best/obvious).
xxaaaxx wrote:So, of course dhk went 5/5 with the flags, but I wonder, do you mute the sound, close your eyes for the first couple of seconds, anything to add a bit of challenge? :lol: (4/5 here. Slovakia wasn't happening.)
Well, considering also the TV I watch J! on (and the computer next to it) is right below my flag collection ... :)

When I watch J! I'm not looking at the TV all the time as I'm also scoring my Coryat on the computer, I remember for the first one I was looking at the computer still from the previous question, and I heard something like "This state's flag ..." and I thought "ah, they're probably going to show it, and not give too many hints in the clue. Oh, Tennessee! Done!" "is often displayed upside down yada yada capital in Nashville" "NO! DON'T MAKE IT TOO EASY LIKE THAT! MAKE THEM GUESS FROM THE FLAG! ARGH!"

Muting the sound would make it too easy but, as Bamaman pointed out, the clues without the visuals made it pretty easy as well for non-vexi folk.
Bamaman wrote:What country has a tri-color flag?
You really want the list? :) (Alex *did* say there were many in the clue itself!) That one you kind of needed the image for.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012