Wednesday, October 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

eureka
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by eureka »

xxaaaxx wrote:...OK, wasn't expecting that. I think I've made my feelings clear when it comes to betting small from the lead (either because of hating the category or Shore's shenanigans), and this is why. OTOH, he would've been a relatively unremarkable 4-day champ if he hadn't done the same thing before. *shrug* Seeya in the TOC Seth.

Never heard that financial term before, but immediately understood what it meant, and had the right answer before Alex finished reading the clue.

Also, Yerevan, a TS. World capitals, people. World capitals. That wasn't even an exotic one.
The " how do they not know the capital city of .....?" Comes up so many times. Some capital cities like Oslo or Bogota are a lot easier to remember than others. You may argue that if you are on the show you need to study like it's a full time job. Some people want to be on the show for fun. I've tried to study world capitals, but many of them don't stick for a variety of reasons. In general many people still mess up the Australian capital.

I got FJ because I was reminded of the term just before the show.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

eureka wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:...OK, wasn't expecting that. I think I've made my feelings clear when it comes to betting small from the lead (either because of hating the category or Shore's shenanigans), and this is why. OTOH, he would've been a relatively unremarkable 4-day champ if he hadn't done the same thing before. *shrug* Seeya in the TOC Seth.

Never heard that financial term before, but immediately understood what it meant, and had the right answer before Alex finished reading the clue.

Also, Yerevan, a TS. World capitals, people. World capitals. That wasn't even an exotic one.
The " how do they not know the capital city of .....?" Comes up so many times.
And for good reason. It comes up, on average, multiple times per show, and is extremely easy to learn and perfect. There is a reason most past champions recommend starting with memorizing all the world and state capitals.
eureka wrote:You may argue that if you are on the show you need to study like it's a full time job.
Luckily, this is a strawman no one has actually argued. There is a huge difference between "I'm going to spend 40+ hours a week studying for Jeopardy and memorizing trivia" and "I'm in the pool or have even gotten the call, and will proceed to learn basic information that will likely appear on my show".

And I'm not complaining, either. If even 12-day champions don't learn their world capitals, that's an advantage for those of us who do. It still astounds me, though.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Very confusing FJ wager....
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

eureka wrote:In general many people still mess up the Australian capital.
Many people also don't get on Jeopardy! either. (That's why it's still seen as an awe-inspiring accomplishment.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I came up with a 4-word guess for the FJ! clue just to answer hbomb's what else could it be?

Federal Insurance Deposit Corporation

I knew it had no chance of being correct,
Especially because it's the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This reminds me of a few months ago when that Central American Capitals category went entirely unanswered by the contestants. Sure, there are only seven of them, so it's a short list. But how often are any not named Panama City going to come up? They're just not that prominent.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I came up with a 4-word guess for the FJ! clue just to answer hbomb's what else could it be?

Wow, that's bad of me. The only saving grace is I wrote it correctly on my scoresheet and the error was only in messing up the order in my post. At least I know you read my posts.

And I've got you in my sights:

1. Cconsploofus 8,747
2. Cheezguyty 8,671
3. Gerryg 8,629
4. BobJuch 8,460
5. Cindydawson 8,250
6. Whoismark 8,247
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vowela wrote: I said genuflection instead of genuflecting. I counted that as right, but after the show, I wanted to make sure that was the real word I thought it was.
I almost said Tebowing, caught myself in time, but my tongue still hurts.
ElendilPickle wrote:
Category 13 wrote: I couldn't believe none of them rang in on "Trinity"
Easy money.
I was trying to figure out how White Sands was a reference to Christianity. :oops:
I was trying to translate "Jornada del Muerto"...

No snark about the alliterative actresses category only requiring you to name three actresses? We're slipping! "Angel" isn't alliterative OR an actress!!1
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

eureka wrote:
The " how do they not know the capital city of .....?" Comes up so many times. Some capital cities like Oslo or Bogota are a lot easier to remember than others. You may argue that if you are on the show you need to study like it's a full time job. Some people want to be on the show for fun.
You're acting like having fun on the show is mutually exclusive with being as prepared as you can be when you appear, and trying to maximize your chances of winning. After all, getting to play more episodes = more fun. And just knowing world capitals -- not even the exotic ones -- would have given some recent contestants a competitive advantage. And yes, there are sporcle quizzes, etc. that you can use to help memorizing them.

If I'm ever lucky enough to get The Call, I can guarantee that I'll have fun in Culver City. But I would also arrive there having brushed up on my world capitals.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:

Wow, that's bad of me. The only saving grace is I wrote it correctly on my scoresheet and the error was only in messing up the order in my post. At least I know you read my posts.

1. Cconsploofus 8,747
2. Cheezguyty 8,671
3. Gerryg 8,629
4. BobJuch 8,460
5. Cindydawson 8,250
6. Whoismark 8,247
Aha, another Sploofus nick deciphered. Much obliged, Mark. Meanwhile, this month's TQOTD have been my Waterloo. I think I missed 3 of the first 6.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I wish I had been on this show and gotten the Spock clue. I would have said "what is" and done the salute. Is acting out responses permitted?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Woppy T wrote:I wish I had been on this show and gotten the Spock clue. I would have said "what is" and done the salute. Is acting out responses permitted?
When that clue came up, I responded the same way as the contestant because I was (overthinking, I guess) trying to come up with its actual name. If on the show, I might have had the sense to do it your way. Definitely should be accepted.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

bpmod wrote:
Woppy T wrote:I wish I had been on this show and gotten the Spock clue. I would have said "what is" and done the salute. Is acting out responses permitted?
When that clue came up, I responded the same way as the contestant because I was (overthinking, I guess) trying to come up with its actual name. If on the show, I might have had the sense to do it your way. Definitely should be accepted.

Brian
I knew they wouldn't, but I actually thought that "live long and prosper" should have been negged. That saying often accompanies the Vulcan salute, but not always. Yes I am a dork.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WilliamPorygon wrote:Either a light bulb blew or Keith Williams just shot himself. :shock:

As for the FJ! clue itself, I focused too much on "financial institution" and spent the first 20 seconds trying to think of an appropriate 4-word phrase ending with "bank" before giving up on that and writing "too big to fail" thinking I was giving a joke answer rather than a serious attempt.
Sometime it's better to be lucky than good.

This was an instaget (once I counted the number of words). The clue sounded like Newspeak for the same thing.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Woppy T wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I knew they wouldn't, but I actually thought that "live long and prosper" should have been negged. That saying often accompanies the Vulcan salute, but not always. Yes I am a dork.
I guess I am too because I was thinking "but they say 'peace and long life' sometimes." And yes, I just held my hand up. Would they have accepted it on the show? I'm at home, I don't have to worry about it :D
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: A lot of hate for Seth's wager here, but I find it perfectly defensible. Yes, he could have tinkered at the edges, but the bottom line was that he had to choose whether to bet on himself or bet against his opponent. It worked out for him last time. This time, not so much.
This.

Wagering isn't a straight math play. It's prudent also to take into account your strength in a category (and your opponent's). I was surprised how much you could learn about opponent's strengths and weaknesses during rehearsal.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm not a Trekkie, so I did not know the hand gesture had an actual name. I just clicked my pen and held up my hand and did the gesture. Assuming the hand thing is on the stamp, they would have had to accept it.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Woof wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:

1. Cconsploofus 8,747
2. Cheezguyty 8,671
3. Gerryg 8,629
4. BobJuch 8,460
5. Cindydawson 8,250
6. Whoismark 8,247
Aha, another Sploofus nick deciphered. Much obliged, Mark. Meanwhile, this month's TQOTD have been my Waterloo. I think I missed 3 of the first 6.
The clues are different for each person, right? I was amazed to hit the top 50 last month in my first try, but I'm off to a bad start this month. I don't think I've gotten a single music question right yet (there or on the infamous qualification test I can't seem to pass).
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

WilliamPorygon wrote:Either a light bulb blew or Keith Williams just shot himself. :shock:
I don't appreciate this comment. Suicide is a terrible thing, and jokes in that vein are inappropriate.

Besides, I thought it was a fine wager (mathematically speaking, anyway).
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob