TD 315 - Groups of People - Questions 4&5 Revealed!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

coachgold
Valued Contributor

TD 315 - Groups of People - Questions 4&5 Revealed!

Post by coachgold »

Hey everyone; I'm in charge of this week's Think Different! I wanted to get this post up now so that people knew there's a TD coming this week, but I will be busy until tomorrow afternoon so no questions just yet as I don't have the time to format the post! I will open this as soon as I possibly can though. :)

This week's TD will have a General Knowledge theme that focuses on groups of people. Each question will involve a group such as politicians, sports teams, or authors. I hope that I've crafted some interesting and fun questions for you guys while making them as accessible as possible! I tested them on my friends and family and they seemed to enjoy them, so I hope you do too. It will be a standard TD with one Drop (worth 1 point instead of 0 in this case) and one Sheep over ten questions; I've given the drop and sheep some thematic names but you don't have to use them if you don't want to! Just for fun :D

Rules: Each of the ten questions below will have at least eight possible answers to them. The goal is the give the answer you think is least likely to be given by other players. You will receive points based on how many people answer the same as you, and at the end the person with the lowest score is the winner.

No intentional outside help is allowed. That means no looking up answers, asking your family, or grabbing a book from your shelf to get an answer. Taking some time to think about your answers after reading the questions is perfectly fine, but please be honest in your responses.

You may BE A LONER (drop) for one question and receive one point for that round, as if you had scored a singleton. You may also BAND TOGETHER (sheep) for one question and receive points equal to the most common answer. WRONG responses will receive the most common answer + 5

Ties will be broken by a tiebreaker question. In any case where answers to the question are too similar or the same, ties will be broken by earlier submission. Answers will be preferred through this Google Form, but will be accepted via PM as well.

Answers will be accepted until 11:59 PM Central time on Monday, October 10th! (That’s 5:59 AM on Tuesday for GMT). The reveal will start Tuesday afternoon!

Entrants List
Spoiler
gamawire
MarkBarrett
Elendilpickle
rackme32
totebags

oduguy22
AleBelly
Ryno
immaf
jwatcher16

waterloo_guy
Tybalteon
lindap
dott888
Vintsanity

Rac
Peachbox
pauerpoint
Magna
This is Aoba

xxaaaxx
Kirbstar
clprez
Cat Hammarskjold
Aunt_Ija

Blue Lion
floridagator
JLJ
Rusty's In The Club
mitchparov

mystcmage
econgator
Bamaman
OSXpert
ihavejeoprosy
Coolcah36
Last edited by coachgold on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 18 times in total.
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Re: TD 315 - Groups of People - Questions Now Up!

Post by coachgold »

Time for the Questions to be revealed! Here's another link to the Google Form for your responses, but feel free to submit answers via PM as well if that's what you would prefer.

“Groups of People!”

1) Celebrity Chefs

Would you rather be in a fistfight with Gordon Ramsey or Emeril Lagasse? Gordon’s got the temper, but Emeril has that BAM. He also has a line of incredibly popular pasta sauces. And while pasta is probably one of the best foods ever, there’s an even more popular dish with sauce: pizza. Consistently ranked as one of the most popular foods in North America, pizza is known worldwide for its varying flavors thanks to the multitude of toppings you can add to it.

For this question, I’d like you to give me one of the ten most popular pizza toppings. The general consensus on which ten these are is almost 100% consistent across sources, though ranking within the top ten tends to differ, but is unimportant for this question. I’m looking for just one topping, not a combination of toppings that creates a speciality pizza or anything like that. That is to say, just “bananas” not “bananas and strawberries” (neither of which, thankfully, are on the list). Also, I’m not looking for sauces here; think anything that might be considered a topping if you ordered a pizza online from a chain (i.e. something that might cost extra).

2) Dog Lovers

Hailed as “man’s best friend” since the dawn of time and still so, so true.

The American Kennel Club puts out a yearly list of the most popular dog breeds in America, based on AKC registration stats. The list for 2015 came out back in February, and I would like you to name one of the top fourteen breeds of dog on the list. The number one dog breed has been the reigning champ for the last 25 years! Consider dogs that you see often on television as well for hints towards what might be a popular breed. Please be as specific as possible, as there are breeds of dogs that share similar names but are differentiated on the list.

3) Literal Groups and Groups and Groups of People

Countries: some are big, some are small, some have many people and some have barely any at all. And there’s a lot of them, too! With over 7 billion people in the world, it’s a good thing that we all get a little space to stretch out.

But some places are more crowded than others. In fact, every country has a “that place” where people flock to live. For this question, I’d like you to name the most populated city in any country in mainland North America. In the spoiler below will be a list of countries that meet the “mainland” criteria. I’m looking for highest raw number of people, not population density, and this counts urban and metropolitan parts of the city in question. There are ten countries and cities to choose from. PLEASE include the name of the country in your response, such as “Sydney, Australia.”
Spoiler
List of countries to choose from: Canada, the United States, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panamá.

4) Broadway Successes

Okay, so musicals aren’t really people to be grouped, but lyricists count, right? Anyway, everyone knows the best parts of musicals are the songs. That may not actually true for everyone, but some musicals have some truly amazing songs that really stick with you. In the spoiler below is a list of songs that come from eight different musicals; I want you to give me the musical that they come from. Each musical will have two songs listed to help you out. PLEASE provide your letter of choice for this response!
Spoiler
a) “I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair” / “Younger Than Springtime”
b) “Popular” / “March of the Witch Hunters”
c) “A Summer In Ohio” / “The Schmuel Song”
d) “I’m the Greatest Star” / “Don’t Rain on My Parade”
e) “Oom-Pah-Pah” / “Food, Glorious Food”
f) “Master of the House” / “Empty Chairs at Empty Tables”
g) “Santa Fe” / “That’s Rich”
h) “All I Ask of You” / “Down Once More”

5) Those Who Are… NOT Going to Disney World

Back in 1987, the Walt Disney Company launched the “What’s Next?” campaign, which featured famous athletes yelling “I’m going to Disney World / Disneyland!” after a big championship win. This has been especially prominent amongst Super Bowl Champions. Unfortunately, only one team wins the Super Bowl each year.

For this question, I’d like you to give me the name of any team that LOST the Super Bowl between 2006 and 2016 (Super Bowls 40 - 50). There are nine possible answers, as two teams lost twice during that span.

6) Authors (and a Playwright)

In the spoiler below is a list of ten famous bits of literature and their year of publication or first performance, all of which have a general theme in common. I would like you to give me the author of any of these books or plays. Just the last name is fine (but feel free to have a guess at the first name if you want, there will be no penalty and it’ll be fun). No need to provide your letter with your submission; I’ll be able to sort it out, but it would be helpful if you remember.
Spoiler
a) (1976) Christopher and His Kind
b) (2006) Fun Home
c) (1928) The Well of Loneliness
d) (1933) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
e) (1948) The City and the Pillar
f) (1985) Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
g) (1971) The Wild Boys
h) (1928) Orlando: A Biography
i) (1994) Love! Valour! Compassion!
j) (1987) And the Band Played On

BONUS: All of the pieces above have something in common with their genre or characters. Tell me what it is for one point off your score.

7) The World’s Leaders

The United Nations will currently be deliberating over potential candidates for who will be the new Secretary-General, as the current term is over at the end of 2016. To show that you know what’s-what (who’s-who?), name any man who has served as Secretary-General of the United Nations. There are nine possible answers (eight elected and one Acting S-G from the post’s inception).

8) Chemists and Other Scientists

Okay, I’ll be honest: science has never really been a strong suit for me. But throughout school I discovered that I have a gift for rote memorization, so one of the best parts of science for me was learning the periodic table. As of right now, there are 118 elements on the periodic table, but only fourteen of them are represented by just one letter.

For this question, I’d like you to give me any element on the periodic table that is symbolized by just one letter. PLEASE include both the letter used as a symbol AND the element’s full name!

9) Legends of Norse Myth

The Norse mythos is fairly complex but incredibly fascinating in its depictions of gods, creations, and existence. Of the most interesting concepts in the Norse legends are those of Ragnarök and Ragnarøkkr, the cyclical events that foretell of the ending and rebirth of the world. Because of the complex nature of Norse mythology, this question will have many options.

Give me JUST ONE of the following ten options:
1) the name of: the Allfather of the Norse Gods, the Norse God of Thunder, or the Norse patron Goddess of crops, birth, and the Springtime (3)
2) the name of: the sea serpent, giant, or great wolf who kill at least one god during Ragnarok (3)
3) the name of: the Norse homeworld of the gods, the Norse homeworld of humans, the mythical tree that connects the nine Norse homeworlds, or the dragonwyrm that chews at this tree’s roots (4).

10) The Post-Soviets

When the USSR dissolved in 1991, it became fifteen different countries known as the Post-Soviet States. The most obvious one of these is Russia, which was considered the direct successor to the USSR.

For this question, I’d like you to give me one of the fourteen other Post-Soviet States that emerged around the time of the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

/

TIEBREAKER: According to the World Resources Institute, the coastline of Canada is roughly this length in km. Closer answers will take prevalence in the case of ties. Answers given in a measurement other than km will be begrudgingly converted, ya rascals.

You do not have to answer this question, but doing so relegates you to breaking a tie by time of submission (and you will automatically lose a tie to anyone who gives an answer).
Last edited by coachgold on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold »

Hi everyone! Thanks for waiting; the questions are now up and the link to the Google Form for answer submission is now available!

I'll also use this post to gather any clarifications that people may need; feel free to ask questions and start submitting your answers now! :D
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold »

Midweek bump to keep this from falling to the second page! Lots of good responses so far and many, many more for the taking!
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

Just sent in my answers for my first participation in TD <3 Looks to be a lot of fun!
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Is there a glitch? I sent in my responses and haven't seen my name yet in the entrants list. I sent you a follow-up PM, but haven't heard anything either.

Hope I can get included here...
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

jwatcher16 wrote:Is there a glitch? I sent in my responses and haven't seen my name yet in the entrants list. I sent you a follow-up PM, but haven't heard anything either.

He might not have read it yet. We have until the end of Monday to enter, so hopefully he get to it over the weekend, or if not he will extend the entry time.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

clprez wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:Is there a glitch? I sent in my responses and haven't seen my name yet in the entrants list. I sent you a follow-up PM, but haven't heard anything either.

He might not have read it yet. We have until the end of Monday to enter, so hopefully he get to it over the weekend, or if not he will extend the entry time.
Hi clprez -

Nice of you to respond. I do hope he sees something and lets me know...I certainly wouldn't mind trying to resend. I know the PM system can be a bit balky --- having had some experience with that before. Ya know, technology is great ---- when it works :)
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold »

Hi jwatcher & all!

So very sorry about the delayed update to the entrants list--the last few days ended up being far busier than I expected. Thankfully, I have much more downtime now than I did before, so everything will proceed as normal and I should be able to update the entrants list more quickly than I was. Thanks for your patience, and yes, you have until the end of the day on Monday to get your answers in!
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi coachgold -

Ah, thanks for hanging in there. Actually, I am glad that it was just busy-ness that kept you away. Ya never know... it did start crossing my mind something might really be amiss - maybe you had a trip to FL and was unable to leave or reach out due to that storm Matthew - or something.

Thanks for updating the list. We'll be anticipating the big reveal for sure.
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Re: TD 315 - Groups of People - Closing TONIGHT!

Post by coachgold »

Bumping this to say that TD 315 is closing TONIGHT, in a little less than ten hours from this post! If you haven't submitted and want to get in on this, please do so! There are still 12 singletons (as of my preliminary counting) available!
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Re: TD 315 - Groups of People - Question 1 Revealed!

Post by coachgold »

Hi everyone! Before I start the reveal, I'd like to thank everyone who participated. We ended up getting 36 entries for TD 315 which I think is pretty neat! I hope you all have a lot of fun with the reveal; I'm going to try my best to make it as entertaining as possible. I should be able to do at least two question reveals per day, so check this spot between now and Saturday to see how you fared!

With that said, it's time to get into the meat of the reveal with question number one. This was a very interesting question to score; everyone definitely has an opinion on popular/best pizza toppings, as there were NO drops or sheeps for this question. However, there were a couple of answers that were unfortunately wrong. Additionally, many of you stayed within a comfort zone: TWO of the ten possible answers got 17 of the 33 correct responses combined, and those two answers are the #1 and #2 most common pizza toppings; third highest got 5; then we had a three, a bunch of twos, two singletons, and a response with no answers.

Let's get looking! For reference, name order in the responses is listed alphabetically because that's how I have my answers sorted. If you need to see your position with regards to time of entry, the entrants list in the first post in the thread has an accurate order.

The #2 Most Popular Topping: Mushrooms (9 Selections)
dott888
ElendilPickle
lindap
MarkBarrett
mitchparov
mystcmage
OSXpert
Totebags
Tybalteon

The #1 Most Popular Topping: Pepperoni (8 Selections)
AleBelly
Gamawire
immaf
kirbstar
Rac
Rackme32
Ryno
This is Aoba

The #4 Most Popular Topping: Sausage (5 Selections)
Blue Lion
clprez
econgator
floridagator
jwatcher16

The #6 Most Popular Topping: Extra/Double Cheese (3 Selections)
Aunt_Ija
Magna
xxaaaxx

The #3 Most Popular Topping: Onions (2 Selections)
Coolcah36
pauerpoint

The #7 Most Popular Topping: Black Olives (2 Selections)
Cat Hammarskjold
ihavejeoprosy

The #8 Most Popular Topping: Green Peppers (2 Selections)
oduguy22
Rusty's In The Club

The #5 Most Popular Topping: Bacon (singleton!)
Peachbox

The #9 Most Popular Topping: Pineapple (singleton!)
waterloo_guy

UNUSED: SPINACH (#10 on the list)

LONERS / DROPS: NONE

SHEEP: NONE

WRONG (worth 14 points)
Bamaman - anchovies (while possibly just as controversial as pineapple on pizza, I couldn't find on any of my lists that this ranked in the top ten of popular toppings)
JLJ - banana peppers (a favorite of many of my friends, but unfortunately their green variety is more popular and just barely made the cut, and there's a significant difference between the two kinds of peppers)
Vintsanity - hamburger (I definitely would've given you this for beef if it was anywhere to be found, but surprisingly enough, none of the lists that I found seemed to indicate that beef could beat out Spinach for the 10th slot; definitely the most surprising wrong answer to me)

SCORES - In the spoiler; for convenience, ties will only be broken upon the FINAL question. For now, enjoy sharing your spot with someone!
Spoiler
1) Peachbox [1 point]
1) waterloo_guy [1 point]

3) Cat Hammarskjold [2 points]
3) Coolcah36 [2 points]
3) ihavejeoprosy [2 points]
3) oduguy22 [2 points]
3) pauerpoint [2 points]
3) Rusty's In The Club [2 points]

9) Aunt_Ija [3 points]
9) Magna [3 points]
9) xxaaaxx [3 points]

12) Blue Lion [5 points]
12) clprez [5 points]
12) econgator [5 points]
12) floridagator [5 points]
12) jwatcher16 [5 points]

17) AleBelly [8 points]
17) Gamawire [8 points]
17) immaf [8 points]
17) kirbstar [8 points]
17) Rac [8 points]
17) Rackme32 [8 points]
17) Ryno [8 points]
17) This is Aoba [8 points]

25) dott888 [9 points]
25) ElendilPickle [9 points]
25) lindap [9 points]
25) MarkBarrett [9 points]
25) mitchparov [9 points]
25) mystcmage [9 points]
25) OSXpert [9 points]
25) Totebags [9 points]
25) Tybalteon [9 points]

34) Bamaman [14 points]
34) JLJ [14 points]
34) Vintsanity [14 points]
That's all for Question #1! I'll be back in a couple of hours with the results and positions for Question #2, which was also a very interesting one to score. Don't fret if you're behind right now, you can definitely come back and topple those sitting at the top.

Feel free to leave comments below about the question or reveal if you'd like! Always interesting to hear from people and get feedback. See you guys soon!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

coachgold wrote: WRONG (worth 14 points)
anchovies (while possibly just as controversial as pineapple on pizza, I couldn't find on any of my lists that this ranked in the top ten of popular toppings)
...seriously!?!?
hamburger (I definitely would've given you this for beef if it was anywhere to be found, but surprisingly enough, none of the lists that I found seemed to indicate that beef could beat out Spinach for the 10th slot; definitely the most surprising wrong answer to me)
People don't know what they're missing :D
UNUSED: SPINACH (#10 on the list)
What?????? YUCK!!
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

Color me shocked that mushrooms are the 2nd most popular topping and spinach is #10 (spinach on pizza would be delicious, but never pictured it being on a top ten list, or even a top twenty). Looking forward to see how the rest of this quiz goes!
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Re: TD 315 - Groups of People - Question 2 Revealed!

Post by coachgold »

Would this be a bad time to mention that I actually love spinach on pizza? My favorite pizza at a local place: alfredo sauce, chicken, spinach, and onions. It's so, so, so good!

But, uh, maybe I'm just strange? So instead of focusing on that, let's move on to the reveal of question two! This question, I realized after I started getting submissions, was possibly a lot more difficult than I imagined. I am very much a dog person; my family has always dogs at one point or another. And while we've had solely Beagles for the last ~15 years, I found myself quite able to guess at many of the top dogs (hah!) on this list, as were my friends and family who took this quiz as a sounding board for me. SO: I'd like to apologize if any of you struggled with this; I thought dog breeds would be far more universal!

This question received four LONERS, one BAND TOGETHER, three WRONG answers again, FOUR unused responses (well darn!), and one very, very big sheep. If you gave an answer that wasn't worth 9 points, congrats: you got 4 or fewer points this round! My apologies to our sheep for this round, Gamawire, in advance.

The #3 Most Popular Dog Breed: Golden Retriever (9 Selections)
Aunt_Ija
clprez
Coolcah36
econgator
ElendilPickle
immaf
Rac
Rackme32
Vintsanity

THOSE WHO BANDED TOGETHER: for 9 points
Gamawire

The #1 Most Popular Dog Breed: Labrador Retriever (4 Selections)
jwatcher16
mystcmage
OSXpert
Ryno

The #2 Most Popular Dog Breed: German Shepherd (3 Selections)
floridagator
kirbstar
mitchparov

The #5 Most Popular Dog Breed: Beagles (2 Selections)
lindap
Peachbox

The #7 Most Popular Dog Breed: Poodle (2 Selections)
dott888
Magna

The #9 Most Popular Dog Breed: Boxers (2 Selections)
AleBelly
Cat Hammarskjold

The #12 Most Popular Dog Breed: Dachshunds (2 Selections)
ihavejeoprosy
Rusty's In The Club

The #4 Most Popular Dog Breed: Bulldogs (singleton!)
This is Aoba

The #6 Most Popular Dog Breed: Yorkshire Terriers (singleton!)
JLJ

The #8 Most Popular Dog Breed: Rottweilers (singleton!)
xxaaaxx

UNUSED: POINTERS (#10), SIBERIAN HUSKIES (#11), DOBERMAN PINSCHERS (#13), GREAT DANES (#14)

LONERS (worth 1 point!): Blue Lion, MarkBarrett, pauerpoint, totebags, Tybalteon

WRONG (worth 14 points):
Bamaman - Dalmatian (while undoubtedly one of the most recognizable breeds because of the movie and their semi-notoriety as "firehouse dogs" the Dalmatian actually ranks at number 62 on the AKC's list)
oduguy22 - Chihuahua (again, while very recognizable from the Taco Bell commercials and potentially Paris Hilton, the Chihuahua ranks in at only 28th on the list)
waterloo_guy - Cocker Spaniel (personally I'm surprised this isn't higher, but the Cocker Spaniel doesn't chart on the list until spot #30)

SCORES:
Spoiler
Tied 1st
Peachbox [3 points]
pauerpoint [3 points]

Tied 3rd
Cat Hammarskjold [4 points]
ihavejeoprosy [4 points]
Rusty's In The Club [4 points]
xxaaaxx [4 points]

7th
Magna [5 points]

8th
Blue Lion [6 points]

9th
floridagator [8 points]

Tied 10th
jwatcher16 [9 points]
This is Aoba [9 points]

Tied 12th
AleBelly [10 points]
MarkBarrett [10 points]
Totebags [10 points]
Tybalteon [10 points]

Tied 16th
Coolcah36 [11 points]
dott888 [11 points]
kirbstar [11 points]
lindap [11 points]

Tied 20th
Aunt_Ija [12 points]
mitchparov [12 points]
Ryno [12 points]

Tied 23th
mystcmage [13 points]
OSXpert [13 points]

Tied 25th
clprez [14 points]
econgator [14 points]

Tied 27th
JLJ [15 points]
waterloo_guy [15 points]

29th
oduguy22 [16 points]

Tied 30th
Gamawire [17 points]
immaf [17 points]
Rac [17 points]
Rackme32 [17 points]

34th
ElendilPickle [18 points]

35th
Vintsanity [23 points]

36th
Bamaman [28 points]
SO! Two questions down, and a lot of mix up in the list. Things are getting really intense already, and we have an interesting spread of scores. Question 3 will come at some point in the early afternoon tomorrow!
xxaaaxx

Re: TD 315 - Groups of People - Question 2 Revealed!

Post by xxaaaxx »

Hmm...two "most popular X" questions without a sheep. I feel like I should buy a lottery ticket.
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Re: TD 315 - Groups of People - Question 3 Revealed!

Post by coachgold »

Hi everyone, welcome to day 2 of the reveal! Potentially only one question revealed today as I had plans for tonight sprung on me kind of last-minute, but if I don't get a second one up today I'll get 3 out tomorrow!

And speaking of three, here is question three! This one involved naming the most populous city in any country in mainland North America, and overall it went extremely well. This is the sort of response that it feels great to see people give in a TD: no drops, no sheeps, no unused responses, and only one wrong answer. This question was definitely a mixed bag in terms of scoring though: out of the 10 possible answers, 4 scored a 5 or above, and we had two singletons! A very unsurprising sheep in my opinion, though second place was kind of unexpected!

Let's get on with the reveal!

Mexico City / Distrito Federal (7 Selections)
Bamaman
CoolCah36
Gamawire
immaf
mitchparov
OSXpert
Rac

Tegucigalpa, Honduras (6 Selections)
AleBelly
ihavejeoprosy
kirbstar
mystcmage
Tybalteon
xxaaaxx

Managua, Nicaragua (5 Selections)
Blue Lion
ElendilPickle
jwatcher16
lindap
Rusty's In The Club

San Jose, Costa Rica (5 Selections)
MarkBarrett
Peachbox
Ryno
totebags
Vintsanity

Toronto, Canada (3 Selections)
Aunt_Ija
dott888
waterloo_guy

New York City, USA (3 Selections)
clprez
econgator
Magna

Belize City, Belize (2 Selections)
Cat Hammarskjold
oduguy22

San Salvador, El Salvador (2 Selections)
floridagator
pauerpoint

Guatemala City, Guatemala (singleton!)
JLJ

Panama City, Panama (singleton!)
This Is Aoba

UNUSED: NONE

LONERS: NONE

SHEEP: NONE

WRONG (worth 12 points):
Rackme32 - Los Angeles (I admit that my clarification that I was including all suburban/metropolitan areas in the question is probably what threw you here - unfortunately, the urban agglomeration of New York / Newark has over 5 million people more than the urban agglomeration of LA / Long Beach / Anaheim, sorry!)

SCORES:
Spoiler
1st
pauerpoint [5 points]

2nd
Cat Hammarskjold [6 points]

Tied 3rd
Magna [8 points]
Peachbox [8 points]

5th
Rusty's In The Club [9 points]

Tied 6th
floridagator [10 points]
ihavejeoprosy [10 points]
This is Aoba [10 points]
xxaaaxx [10 points]

10th
Blue Lion [11 points]

Tied 11th
dott888 [14 points]
jwatcher16 [14 points]

Tied 13th
Aunt_Ija [15 points]
MarkBarrett [15 points]
totebags [15 points]

Tied 16th
AleBelly [16 points]
JLJ [16 points]
lindap [16 points]
Tybalteon [16 points]

Tied 20th
clprez [17 points]
econgator [17 points]
kirbstar [17 points]
Ryno [17 points]

Tied 24th
Coolcah36 [18 points]
oduguy22 [18 points]
waterloo_guy [18 points]

Tied 27th
mitchparov [19 points]
mystcmage [19 points]

29th
OSXpert [20 points]

30th
ElendilPickle [23 points]

Tied 31st
Gamawire [24 points]
immaf [24 points]
Rac [24 points]

34th
Vintsanity [28 points]

35th
Rackme32 [29 points]

36th
Bamaman [35 points]
And pauerpoint moves in to take solo first after 3 questions, but there's still 7 to go and many people kicking around with 10 or fewer points that could easily jump into the lead on the next question alone! I'll try and get question 4 up tonight, but if not then expect it tomorrow morning, followed by 5 and 6 in the afternoon. Thanks all, hope you're enjoying the reveal!
clprez

Post by clprez »

Hmm. This time I decided to go with the obvious answer because I figured most people knew many answers, and not that many would go with NYC.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

clprez wrote:Hmm. This time I decided to go with the obvious answer because I figured most people knew many answers, and not that many would go with NYC.
I just went with my birth city. :)
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold »

Hello, all! So sorry for the delay! I'm graduating university in December and life has a tendency to get in the way of things when you're trying to make sure everything is all good to go. I'll do my best to get as many of these reveals up today as I can so that we can still finish tomorrow evening!

Not a lot of time right this very second though, so let's move on to question 4! This one was all about naming musicals when given two songs from a list, and it turned out some... interesting results! Out of the eight musicals, TWO received no answers (one unsurprising, one VERY surprising); a few people dropped and a few people made incorrect guesses, too. A rather polarizing question, I'd guess.

e) Oliver! (“Oom-Pah-Pah” / “Food, Glorious Food”) (9 Selections)
Blue Lion
clprez
JLJ
lindap
Magna
mitchparov
pauerpoint
Rackme32
Ryno

THOSE WHO BANDED TOGETHER: for 9 points
Coolcah36

b) Wicked (“Popular” / “March of the Witch Hunters”) (6 Selections)
Bamaman
econgator
kirbstar
mystcmage
Tybalteon
xxaaaxx

f) Les Miserables (“Master of the House” / “Empty Chairs at Empty Tables”) (4 Selections)
Cat Hammarskjold
ElendilPickle
floridagator
totebags

a) South Pacific (“I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair” / “Younger Than Springtime”) (3 Selections)
Aunt_Ija
jwatcher16
OSXpert

d) Funny Girl (“I’m the Greatest Star” / “Don’t Rain on My Parade”) (3 Selections)
immaf
MarkBarrett
Rusty's In The Club

g) Newsies (“Santa Fe” / “That’s Rich”) (singleton!)
waterloo_guy

UNUSED: c) The Last 5 Years - “A Summer In Ohio” / “The Schmuel Song” (one of my personal favorite musicals, but a rather unknown one. I thought this might be an okay answer since there was a movie adaptation made of it early last year with Anna Kendrick (of Pitch Perfect fame) and Jeremy Jordan (who used to play Jack in Newsies on Broadway, amongst other things))
h) The Phantom of the Opera - “All I Ask of You” / “Down Once More” (What!!!? I can't believe this went unused! Were people avoiding an obvious sheep or did I pick songs that didn't give it away enough? I would consider these two songs to be... pretty much two of the most important songs in the show, so I'd guess it's the former? But wow, this was a shock!)

LONERS (worth 1 point): This Is Aoba, oduguy22, Gamawire, Peachbox, Vintsanity, ihavejeoprosy

WRONG (worth 14 points):
dott888 - Fiddler on the Roof instead of The Last 5 Years (while Fiddler does share some similarities with TL5Y [including the male lead's Jewish heritage], neither of those songs are in the musical)
AleBelly - My Big Fat Greek Wedding instead of Oliver! (I can definitely see where you were going with this one--including Food, Glorious Food in the list was a bit of a curveball, as I can see how it would've made some people sure that Oliver! was the right choice, while making others think in a different direction. This was a smart guess, and I actually didn't know that there was a musical version of MBFGW before this)
Rac - Beauty and the Beast instead of Les Miserables (I hadn't considered how "Master of the House" and "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" made Les Mis sound so much like a musical about a dinner table until this answer came in. Again, I definitely see where you got this idea from. Sorry!)

SCORES:
Spoiler
1st
Peachbox [9 points]

2nd
Cat Hammarskjold [10 points]

Tied 3rd
ihavejeoprosy [11 points]
This is Aoba [11 points]

5th
Rusty's In The Club [12 points]

Tied 6th
floridagator [14 points]
pauerpoint [14 points]

8th
xxaaaxx [16 points]

Tied 9th
jwatcher16 [17 points]
Magna [17 points]

Tied 11th
Aunt_Ija [18 points]
MarkBarrett [18 points]

Tied 13th
oduguy22 [19 points]
totebags [19 points]
waterloo_guy [19 points]

16th
Blue Lion [20 points]

17th
Tybalteon [22 points]

Tied 18th
econgator [23 points]
kirbstar [23 points]
OSXpert [23 points]

Tied 21st
JLJ [25 points]
lindap [25 points]
mystcmage [25 points]
Gamawire [25 points]

Tied 25th
clprez [26 points]
Ryno [26 points]

Tied 27th
Coolcah36 [27 points]
immaf [27 points]
ElendilPickle [27 points]

Tied 30th
dott888 [28 points]
mitchparov [28 points]

32nd
Vintsanity [29 points]

33rd
AleBelly [30 points]

Tied 34th
Rackme32 [37 points]
Rac [38 points]

36th
Bamaman [41 points]
And with the help of a nice LONER singleton, Peachbox regains the lead! Lots of ties have been broken in the upper half, but almost half of our players sit within a 10 point span of each other. It'll be interesting to see how things continue to unfold! Thanks for bearing with me as I do this reveal guys, I'm going to try to get stuff done ASAP for the next ones. See you soon!