Thursday, October 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7384, 2016-10-20

WE ASKED: Al Franken.

CONTESTANTS
Hunter Manchak, a product director from Washington D.C.
Doug Hartman, a consulting engineer from Virginia Beach, Virginia
Debbi Hopkins, an administrative assistant from Charleston, South Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. Welcome aboard. For the past few weeks on Jeopardy!, we've been playing share the wealth among many champions. No one player managed to win more than three games in a row. And that is, believe it or not, good news for all three of you, Hunter, Doug, and Debbi, so good luck. Let's go to work...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HERE COMES THE SUN (4/5)
CITIES & TOWNS OF THE BIBLE (3/5)
FRUITS & VEGETABLES (5/5)
"Z" IS THE FIRST LETTER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: "Z" is not the last, it's the first letter in each correct response.)
WAR STARS (3/5)
MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Doug: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Hunter: 9 R, 2 W
Debbi: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Doug: $4,200
Hunter: $1,600
Debbi: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Hunter Manchak is from Washington, D.C. He and his wife are big Major League Baseball fans, and I love the way you celebrated your wedding. Tell the folks about that.

Hunter: Yeah, so this was my contribution when I got married to Dominique. I wrote a letter to all the Major League Baseball teams and said, "Can you give me any extra bobbleheads that you might have?" And amazingly, I got about 200 of them in the mail from all the teams. And we used them as place-card holders for the wedding, so it was good fun.

Alex: That's wonderful. You still have them?

Hunter: I still have some of them. And amazingly, we go to a lot of people's houses, and they still have them up and displayed prominently in their houses, too.

Alex: All right. Good for you. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Alex: Doug Hartman, a consulting engineer from Virginia Beach who enjoys photographing animals in the wild. Have you done that in Africa where there are a lot of animals in the wild?

Doug: I have, Alex.

Alex: Uh, your prize photographic catch, what was it?

Doug: My favorite one is, uh, a great picture of the great migration of the wildebeests across the spelt or whatever you call it.

Alex: Mara. Masai Mara area.

Doug: Yeah. It was a great time. We were there in August. It was very photogenic.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Debbi Hopkins is our champion, an administrative assistant from Charleston, South Carolina, who is, also, I understand, a good speller. You were in the spelling bee?

Debbi: I was. It's been a very long time. But when I was in high school, Charleston County, which is my native town, Charleston County had a spelling bee every year, and I was fortunate enough to win it three years in a row. And the really cool thing was after the third time, they just retired the trophy to my school.

Alex: Okay, well, that's great.

Debbi: I was happy.

Alex: Okay, you should be happy.

[Debbi laughs.]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Doug found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Debbi had $600, Doug had $5,400, and Hunter was at $2,400. Doug wagered $3,000.

"Z" IS THE FIRST LETTER $1000: This outermost layer of a citrus rind contains the color & the flavor

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU $1000: Robert Schumann called this man's 1807 Fourth Symphony "a slender Greek maiden between two Norse giants"

HERE COMES THE SUN $1000: From the Greek for "light" comes this visible layer of the sun, some 300 miles thick

CITIES & TOWNS OF THE BIBLE $200: In Genesis 15 this man leaves the Euphrates city of Ur to found a new nation

WAR STARS $600: Agu is a child soldier in an African Civil War in this film that earned Idris Elba a Golden Globe nomination

WAR STARS $1000: As General Kuribayashi, Ken Watanabe led the defense of an isolated Pacific island in this 2006 movie
(Hunter: What is Flags of Our Fathers?)

CITIES & TOWNS OF THE BIBLE $400: Acts 9 is about a journey to this city by Saul, later Paul, that doesn't turn out as planned
(Debbi: What is Tarshish?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Doug: $8,800
Debbi: $2,200
Hunter: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORICAL TO-DO LISTS (4/5)
A BETTE MIDLER MEDLEY (1/3)
SENATE COMMITTEES (4/5)
PREFECTURES OF JAPAN (3/4)
8-LETTER WORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOKS BY MEN (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hunter: 10 R, 4 W
Debbi: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Doug: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Debbi snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Debbi had $4,200, Doug had $10,400, and Hunter was at $2,600. Debbi wagered $2,000.

8-LETTER WORDS $1600: When a professor has this adjective after his name, it means he's retired but retains an honorary title & often, free parking

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Debbi who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Debbi had $8,600, Doug had $10,400, and Hunter was at $5,800. Debbi wagered $2,000.

BOOKS BY MEN $1600: Michael Herr wrote in "Dispatches", "I think that" this place "was what we had instead of happy childhoods"
(Debbi: Hmm. Um... what is purgatory?)
(Alex: No. What is [*]? And for some, it was like purgatory.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORICAL TO-DO LISTS $2000: June 22, 1611:
Make sure mutineers don't set me & my son adrift in the bay named for me; uh-oh

8-LETTER WORDS $1200: This synonym for sophisticated comes from the French for "of good lineage"
(Alex: De bonne aire.)

PREFECTURES OF JAPAN $1200: The Karate Kid's teacher might know the name of this prefecture of Honshu that forms Sendai Bay

BOOKS BY MEN $1200: The idea of this Joyce novel is that history is cyclic; the book begins with a sentence that is unfinished on the last page
(Hunter: What is Ulysses?
(Debbi: What are Dubliners?)

SENATE COMMITTEES $1200: Reviewing Medicare on an "almost annual basis", this committee deals with "matters relating to older Americans"
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now, Doug.)

A BETTE MIDLER MEDLEY $800: In 2017 bette is set to star in a Broadway revival of this musical in which she'll play the matchmaking Mrs. Levi
(Hunter: What is Fiddler on the Roof?)

A BETTE MIDLER MEDLEY $1200: On a recent concert tour, Bette sang "I Put A Spell On You" dressed as Winifred from this movie
(Doug: What is Wicked?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Doug: $12,400 (lock-tie game)
Hunter: $6,200
Debbi: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
QUOTABLE NOTABLES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock-tie for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Doug: Wager $0 to guarantee your return for the next game, or, if you'd rather lose today than face Hunter tomorrow, wager $12,400 to maximize your winnings (or $1,599 to keep from dropping into third place).
Hunter: Doug will probably be betting to tie, and so should you, so be brave and put your whole $6,200 on the line.
Debbi: Risk between $801 and $3,800 to cover Hunter's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She once said that death "is no more than passing from one room into another" but "in that other room, I shall be able to see"

FINAL SCORES
Debbi: $5,400 - $1,601 = $3,799 (Who is Mother Teresa) (2nd place)
Hunter: $6,200 - $6,200 = $0 (Who was Emily Dickenson) (3rd place)
Doug: $12,400 + $0 = $12,400 (Who was Emily Dickinson Helen Keller) (New champion: $12,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Doug: $10,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Debbi: $7,000, 10 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Hunter: $6,200, 19 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $23,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Hunter: 19/58 = .328
Doug: 15/59 = .254
Debbi: 10/60 = .167
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FRUITS & VEGETABLES $600: More accurately called crisphead lettuce, it grows in tight, dense heads similar to cabbage
(Debbi: What is Savoy?)

HERE COMES THE SUN $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an astronomical animation on the monitor.) Taking tens of thousands of years to rise to the Sun's surface & then a mere eight minutes to reach us, they are the most basic light particles

CITIES & TOWNS OF THE BIBLE $600: Built by King Omri as his capital, Samaria is found in what's now often called this directional region

CITIES & TOWNS OF THE BIBLE $1000: The Phoenician city of Sidon was home to this wicked queen of the First Book of Kings
(Hunter: Uh, who is Sheba?)

HISTORICAL TO-DO LISTS $400: July 12, 1543:
Get married today. 6th time is the charm!

HISTORICAL TO-DO LISTS $800: July 20, 1969:
Become second guy to walk on Moon; celebrate communion there

HISTORICAL TO-DO LISTS $1200: Sept. 5, 1666:
Begin plan to rebuild post-Great Fire London; hand in to King in a week or so

HISTORICAL TO-DO LISTS $1600: Sept. 3, 1928:
Discover mold juice... No, penicillin, that's a better name

8-LETTER WORDS $800: This type of vinegar is made from white Trebbiano grape juice heated & aged in wooden barrels
(Hunter: What is white wine vinegar?)

PREFECTURES OF JAPAN $1600: This prefecture's name is also the name of the popular breed seen here that originated in its mountains

SENATE COMMITTEES $400: (I'm Senator Al Franken.) As a non-lawyer, I'm in the minority on this Senate committee that's much in the news for its key role in the Supreme Court confirmation process

SENATE COMMITTEES $2000: The Senate committee on these "Affairs" also includes natives from Hawaii & Alaska
(Hunter: What is Native American?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
zest
Beethoven
the photosphere
Abraham
Beasts of No Nation
Letters from Iwo Jima
Damascus
emeritus
Vietnam
Henry Hudson
debonair
Miyagi
Finnegans Wake
the Special Committee on Aging
Hello Dolly
Hocus Pocus
Helen Keller
iceberg lettuce
photons
the West Bank
Jezebel
Henry VIII
Buzz Aldrin
Christopher Wren
(Alexander) Fleming
balsamic
Akita
the Judiciary Committee
Indian Affairs
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
QUOATABLE NOTABLES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She once said that death "is no more than passing from one room into another" but "in that other room, I shall be able to see"

Debbi Hopkins: 5400-1601=3799
Doug Hartman: 12400+0=12400 (New Champ)
Hunter Manchak: 6200-6200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Helen Keller (Debbi – Mother Teresa) (Doug: Emily Dickenson Helen Keller) (Hunter – Emily Dickenson)

Daily Doubles
Doug: 5400+3000
Debbi: 4200+2000
Debbi: 8600-2000

Coryats
Debbi: 7000
Doug: 10400
Hunter: 6200

Combined: 23,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Why would Emily Dickinson be one of the names that should come to mind with that FJ? I thought it was one of the easiest FJ clues in a long time, but maybe that's only because Dickinson never came to mind.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Elijah Baley wrote:Why would Emily Dickinson be one of the names that should come to mind with that FJ? I thought it was one of the easiest FJ clues in a long time, but maybe that's only because Dickinson never came to mind.
Dickinson should be the first name that comes to mind with "woman" + " quote about death", yes. The swerve at the end where it turns into "quote about blindness" was a bit tricky.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Wow, I badly misunderstood that FJ clue and went with Virginia Woolf.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

We spent most of FJ seeing if we could come up with another famous blind woman other than Helen Keller.

We could not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Why would Emily Dickinson be one of the names that should come to mind with that FJ? I thought it was one of the easiest FJ clues in a long time, but maybe that's only because Dickinson never came to mind.
Dickinson should be the first name that comes to mind with "woman" + " quote about death", yes. The swerve at the end where it turns into "quote about blindness" was a bit tricky.
*nod* If it didn't allude to blindness, I might have went with Dickinson, but I thought Keller the obvious choice.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Sonuva b...OF COURSE Doug bet 0 and OF COURSE Hunter bet it all...and got it wrong. At this point, J! is just trolling us. We're never going to get a damn tiebreaker. I don't know why I even get my hopes up anymore :evil: :evil:

Instaget FJ, "swerving" from Dickinson to Keller after the bit about being able to see.

Photosphere a TS 10 seconds after photon?

Finnegans Wake a TS?? :shock:

Miyagi a TS when spotted "Karate Kid's teacher'?? I'm not that old, damnit!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

mungar wrote:Wow, I badly misunderstood that FJ clue and went with Virginia Woolf.
I made the connection to Keller, but for some reason, Woolf was the first person I thought of. One of her works was A Room of One's Own so maybe the "room" part of the clue made me think of her because of that, and perhaps that's what made you think of her.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe growing up not far from her home gives me a bias towards Keller, but I thought it was pretty simple. Basically, name a famous blind woman.

When he started reading the answer, I thought it was going to be some witty comment about death and thought of Dorothy Parker, but it was an instaget otherwise.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Photosphere a frequent ask and often missed for 'corona' and 'solar flare' typical incorrects. Also evoked Dickinson reading thru the clue "woman on death" but O! >blind?! Should be a poll IMHO!

46R; LT: Abraham > Ur; debonair; no get on Miyagi > Karate Kid... wax on, wax off. Pretty good game not much trash left over and few misses! Grats to new champ, may the 4th be with u! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

OSXpert wrote:We spent most of FJ seeing if we could come up with another famous blind woman other than Helen Keller.

We could not.
Funny, that's exactly what we did. We also couldn't come up with one.

And yes, I agree that it's a shame we didn't get our first ever tiebreaker. Beyond that, all the DD wagers were suboptimal. By only betting $3k instead of all $5400, the new champion cost himself a lock.

And if she hadn't bet a meager $2k in her first DD, the defending champion would have likely had a lead when she got the second one, giving herself more options.

Got LT of Letters from Iwo Jima (totally understandable to confuse this with Flags of our Fathers, but no rebound?!), Miyagi, Finnegan's Wake, and Hocus Pocus.

FJ was instaget.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

For FJ, Death + Room + afterlife = Plath, Woolf, Dicknison. Never considered 'blind women'.

I don't have the wording, but I had 'pedigree' for 'Debonair'
xxaaaxx wrote: Miyagi a TS when spotted "Karate Kid's teacher'?? I'm not that old, damnit!
NHO Miyagi. Yes, you are old :D
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

goatman wrote: Pretty good game not much trash left over and few misses!
Hmmm, I have the combined Coryat at only 23,600. My perception was I was scoring well at the 4th podium just with basic knowledge of the Bible, Bette Midler and J! favorites like Hudson.

As I started to read the FJ! clue I thought Emily Dickinson. By the time I got to the end of the clue I wrote Helen Keller and put the pen down. For once I agree with Alex about the possible names in play.

Doug started off like he was on his way to a much higher payday than $12,400. He has the title and the return invitation for what counts most.

Hunter will be the 4th player in the Archive with that first name with none appearing prior to 2008.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OSXpert wrote:We spent most of FJ seeing if we could come up with another famous blind woman other than Helen Keller.

We could not.
Same. I really expected this one to be one of those almost everyone got. Based on early results apparently that's not the case!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
goatman wrote: Pretty good game not much trash left over and few misses!
Hmmm, I have the combined Coryat at only 23,600. My perception was I was scoring well at the 4th podium just with basic knowledge of the Bible, Bette Midler and J! favorites like Hudson.
How was Henry Hudson a stand and stare? A lot of easy stuff floating over their heads this week.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

This Is Kirk! wrote:

We could not.
Same. I really expected this one to be one of those almost everyone got. Based on early results apparently that's not the case!
Instaget for us as well. And when Alex said "two names should come to mind" neither of us could think of another famous, blind woman.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

We could not.
Anne Sullivan, Keller's teacher; though expecting her instead of Keller without some other TOM would be brutal negbait.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm really old. I think of Mr. Miyagi as Arnold.