Thursday, October 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7389, 2016-10-27

CONTESTANTS
P.J. Molski, a web developer from Brooklyn, New York
Ken Hirsh, a law library director and law professor from Milford, Ohio
George Stuart, a payroll professional from Orlando, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $24,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. It's good to be with you once again. If you were with us yesterday, you saw a great game. All three players played extremely well, but at the end of the day, George had the most money--close to $25,000. He defeated two women yesterday. Today he faces two men. Ken and P.J., welcome aboard. And good luck, players. Here we go. Now the categories in the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LETTER PERFECT (4/5)
MARINE LIFE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV GUIDES (5/5)
WOMEN OF NOTE (4/5)
PEACE (5/5)
OF CAKE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
George: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ken: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
P.J.: 9 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ken: $2,800
George: $1,200
P.J.: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: P.J. Molski is a web developer from Brooklyn, New York. We're about a week away from Halloween, and I understand that, uh, you had, uh, an unusual Halloween event.

P.J.: Yeah, I was running a Halloween 5k, and I was all dressed up in my Hogwarts robe. It's a bit of a spectator event, so I saw--I ran by a mother and her little girl. And the mom said, "Hey, look"--uh, "Look, dear, it's Harry Potter." And then the little girl said, "No, mom, it's Ron Weasley."

[Laughter]

P.J.: Gave her the thumbs up for the recognition.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Ken Hirsh is a law library director and law professor who once ran for city council at a very young age.

Ken: Yes, while I was in college at the age of, I think, 22. And I finished very badly, but a year later I met my future wife Lisa and gave her one of my bumper stickers and she later told me that's when she first knew I really liked her.

Alex: You gave her your bumper sticker?

Ken: Yes.

Alex: Okay, and you're still together?

Ken: Yes.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: George Stuart is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He's a payroll professional from Florida who once taught a French exchange student something rather unusual, I think.

George: This was back in 2004 when Orlando got three big hurricanes. Uh, and after Hurricane Charlie, there were tons of trees down in our neighborhood. So the next morning, we had to go out, chainsaw our way out, so we taught him to use the chainsaw.

Alex: You're a braver man than I are.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. George had $1,200, Ken had $2,800, and P.J. was at $1,000. Ken wagered $1,500.

MARINE LIFE $1000: Natl. Geographic says without this small shrimplike crustacean, most "life forms in the Antarctic would disappear"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LETTER PERFECT $600: This letter stands for the currency of Albania; when it comes before F, it's often silent
(P.J.: What is a P?)
(George: What is T?)

WOMEN OF NOTE $1000: In 1865 Maria Mitchell, the USA's first female professional astronomer, was made a professor at this N.Y. college
(Ken: What is Columbia?)

OF CAKE $800: The name of the French Christmas cake buche de noel means this, which it is made to resemble
(P.J.: What is a Christmas tree?)
(Ken: What is a crèche, or manger?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ken: $4,500
George: $3,800
P.J.: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1866 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RENEWABLE ENERGY (5/5)
THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FRENCH CONNECTIONS (4/5)
THE "BLIND" SPOT (4/5)
APOCALYPSE NOW (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
George: 12 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
P.J.: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Ken: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
George snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. George had $5,800, Ken had $5,700, and P.J. was at $3,200. George wagered $800.

1866 $1200: Garnier & Doudart de Lagree, sort of the French Lewis & Clark of Asia, left Saigon in 1866 & journeyed up this river

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was George who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 6th clue. George had $6,600, Ken had $5,700, and P.J. was at $3,200. George wagered $1,000.

THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $1200: "Time just outran me, Big Daddy--got there first"
(Alex: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was the play.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $800: "If there is one thing interesting--remarkable indeed--in the whole province, it's just our cherry orchard"
(George: Who is Wilder?)
(Alex: The Cherry Orchard was written by [*].)

1866 $2000: 2016 is the 150th birthday of Fisk University in this city, home of the Jubilee Singers & alma mater of W.E.B. Du Bois
(P.J.: What is New Orleans?)

THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $2000: "A big nose is indicative of a soul affable, and kind"
(P.J.: Oh. Nope.)
(Alex: Ah, that's unfortunate. Ken.)
(Ken: Who is de Bergerac?)

FRENCH CONNECTIONS $1200: The Frejus Tunnel carries car traffic from Mondane, France to the Piedmont region of this country

THE "BLIND" SPOT $2000: Photokeratitis, basically a sunburned eye, includes this condition that's especially common on high mountains
(George: What is sun blindness?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
George: $10,400
Ken: $8,500
P.J.: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH POP MUSIC

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
George: Wager $6,601 to cover Ken.
Ken: You ought to wager to cover P.J., but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $8,500. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,500 (to shut out P.J.) or less than $4,700 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by P.J.). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by George.
P.J.: You ought to try wagering between $501 and $4,200. This will top a $0 wager by Ken while still beating George and Ken on the Triple Stumper (should George wager to cover Ken's doubled score and Ken wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This song released on July 11, 1969 to coincide with the Apollo 11 mission was used in the BBC's coverage of the Moon landing

FINAL SCORES
P.J.: $8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000 (What is Space Oddity´) (2nd place)
Ken: $8,500 + $7,501 = $16,001 (What is Das Space Oddity?) (New champion: $16,001)
George: $10,400 - $6,601 = $3,799 (What is SPACL All You need is Love) (3rd place)
(Alex: Song was about a doomed astronaut. Maybe the BBC wasn't aware of that. But the song, popularized by somebody who died this past year.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
George: $11,000, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Ken: $8,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
P.J.: $8,000, 17 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $27,000

BATTING AVERAGES
George: 21/60 = .350
P.J.: 18/58 = .310
Ken: 15/59 = .254
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MARINE LIFE $600: The last of many books by Jacques Cousteau was titled "The Human, the Orchid, and" this other "O" creature
(P.J.: What is an orca?)

WOMEN OF NOTE $600: (I'm ABC News's senior legal correspondent Sunny Hostin.) I co-own a restaurant in New Rochelle & got a huge thrill when this Latina Supreme Court justice, one of my heroes, dropped by for a meal

OF CAKE $200: It's the colorful cake seen here

OF CAKE $600: This device used to decorate t-shirts can also be used to spray color on cake decorations

PEACE $1000: 1648's peace of Westphalia ended this long conflict
(P.J.: What is the Hundred Years' War?)

THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $1600: "I sold flowers. I didn't sell myself. Now you've made a lady of me I'm not fit to sell anything else"
(Alex: Yes, Pygmalion.)

THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $400: "I'm gonna show you and everybody else that Willy Loman did not die in vain"
(Alex: From Death of a Salesman.)

1866 $800: Putting him at odds with Congress, this U.S. president vetoed the Civil Rights Act of 1866

FRENCH CONNECTIONS $1600: This lake lies between southwestern Switzerland & the Haute-Savoie Department of France
(George: What is Lucerne?)

THE "BLIND" SPOT $800: Traditional offering to someone facing a firing squad
(George: What is a eye blind?)

FRENCH CONNECTIONS $2000: Baptiste du Cerceau & Pierre des Illes designed this, the oldest existing bridge across the Seine
(Alex: [*], yes, which means "new bridge".)

APOCALYPSE NOW $800: A virus could kill half of humanity if Robert Langdon can't remember his Dante in this 2016 film based on Dan Brown's novel
(Alex: Yes, and it opens tomorrow.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
krill
L
Vassar
a yule log
the Mekong
Tennessee Williams
Anton Chekhov
Nashville
Edmond Rostand
Italy
snow blindness
"Space Oddity" (by David Bowie)
octopus
Sotomayor
a red velvet cake
an airbrush
the Thirty Years' War
Shaw
Arthur Miller
(Andrew) Johnson
Lake Geneva
a blindfold
Pont Neuf
Inferno
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH POP MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This song released on July 11, 1969 to coincide with the Apollo 11 mission was used in the BBC’s coverage of the moon landing

George Stuart: 10400-6601=3799
Ken Hirsh: 8500+7501=16001 (New champ)
P.J. : 8000+8000=16000

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Space Oddity” (George – Space All You Need Is Love) (Ken – Da Space Oddity)

Daily Doubles
Ken: 2800+1500
George: 5800+800
George: 6600+1000

Coryats
George: 11000
Ken: 8000
P.J. : 8000

Combined: 27,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Space Oddity, as I recalled, was released in 1969. Bowie was British. That's that.

I was surprised nobody got the Chekov clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Had no idea that Space Oddity was that old. Best I could come up with was Rocket Man, even though I was pretty sure it wasn't that old, either (1972).
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I like the Canadian version of Space Oddity a lot. This wasn't quite an instaget for me, but I couldn't come up with a better guess than Space Oddity. My girlfriend, who is swimming in the pool, would have had a painful reveal on this one, as she had "Major Tom."

I know the trench as "Marianas", but apparently its fine with or without the "S".

I feel like they have been peppering in a lot of Mel Brooks stuff recently: Hedly Lamar and a shout out to his son's book today, The Producers as a DD yesterday, and Mel himself as a final last week.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

They used Space Oddity in their moon landing coverage? Gee thanks, BBC.

After betting a combined 1800 on two DDs, I was kinda hoping George would finish the DJ round in 2nd place by a couple hundred bucks. But he missed FJ so it wouldn't have mattered. Now, if PJ hadn't thrown away so much money on bad/no guesses? That would've mattered.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Better than my guess, "Fly Me to the Moon," wondering if Sinatra maybe was born in England, maybe. I spent the rest of the thirty seconds trying to think of every Beatles song I could think of, wondering if any could fit. "Across the Universe" didn't come to me until after the thirty seconds were up, but turns out that didn't matter anyway.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

econgator wrote:Had no idea that Space Oddity was that old. Best I could come up with was Rocket Man, even though I was pretty sure it wasn't that old, either (1972).
That's a very good guess and I'm glad I didn't think of it. According to wikipedia "Among numerous other performances, John played "Rocket Man" at the launch site of Space Shuttle Discovery in 1998" so it's definitely been officially used before. Shatner's version is obviously better though.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I don't think I could name one Bowie song off the top of my head. That's a knock on myself by the way.

I went with "Spirit in the Sky". I knew the singer was probably American, but that's the best I had. Probably because it's used in Apollo 13.

Once again the leader and defending champ finding DD's early in DJ! and wagering very little...
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

jpr281 wrote:I don't think I could name one Bowie song off the top of my head. That's a knock on myself by the way.

I went with "Spirit in the Sky". I knew the singer was probably American, but that's the best I had. Probably because it's used in Apollo 13.

Once again the leader and defending champ finding DD's early in DJ! and wagering very little...
Hi there all - The singer of "Spirit in the Sky" was Norman Greenbaum. It's a REALLY great song.

I thought the answer might have been "Across the Universe"... I think we later beamed it toward Polaris, right?

"Space Oddity" didn't occur to me for some reason ---- and I used to play it on the piano a lot. Bowie is certainly missed.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Once again, Roman numerals desert me when I need them.

WLT Seaweed at $200?

Marine Life for $600 was a 1-in-3 on orca/otter/octopus. Of course, after the first was negged, I negged with the second.

L is silent before F?

Bit on the "Christmas tree" negbait, NHO baked alaska or torte.

"This water heating method". Water can be heated by solar?!?

0/5 in Apocalypse. Apocalyptic stuff bores me.

NHO Space Oddity, barely even heard of David Bowie to the point that I didn't know he was British or had died. Didn't even have a valid WAG.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For those of us who said Blind Man's Buff instead of bluff, yes, we are also correct.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:For those of us who said Blind Man's Buff instead of bluff, yes, we are also correct.
I had Marianas and Buff for the alternate acceptable exacta.

I thought THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES had five good clues to know with Miller, Shaw, Williams, Chekhov and Rostand. The gentleman ran out of steam at the end of the category for the higher amount clues.

"Space Oddity" was the only guess I wrote for the FJ! clue while reasoning away "Major Tom" and "Spirit in the Sky." If I thought of "Rocket Man" or "Across the Universe" they would not have earned ink status either. Often Alex's pre-reveal words either spell doom for my guess or don't matter on a lock certain response I had 30 seconds earlier.

Tonight was different as Alex's comments before getting to P.J. were very reassuring that my guess on the Bowie song was going to be right.

George crossed off "Space" and I wonder if he was on the right track to winning the game or way off with these possibles:

"Space Race" by Billy Preston
"Spaceman" by Nilsson
or the I would certainly hope not "Space Age Love Song" by Flock of Seagulls

that's all the starting with "Space" songs I could find in my Top 40 book other than "Space Between" by Dave Matthews Band and "Space Jam" by Quad City DJ's.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: George crossed off "Space" and I wonder if he was on the right track to winning the game or way off with these possibles:

"Space Race" by Billy Preston
"Spaceman" by Nilsson
or the I would certainly hope not "Space Age Love Song" by Flock of Seagulls

that's all the starting with "Space" songs I could find in my Top 40 book other than "Space Between" by Dave Matthews Band and "Space Jam" by Quad City DJ's.
It's hard to imagine he was on the right track when he went that far out into left field. "All You Need is Love"? That would kinda be like writing down Aunt Jemima for yesterday's FJ.

I got Space Oddity, but like previous posters, I wasn't aware the song was that dated.
A favorite trivia nugget of mine: What song was at Billboard's number 1 on the day Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon?
Spoiler
In The Year 2525
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:L is silent before F?
In words like half, sure, but "usually"?
"This water heating method". Water can be heated by solar?!?
You've heard of the sun, right? It's hot.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Letter (3), Marine (2), TV (3), Women (4), Peace (3), Cake (2)
1866 (4), Energy (1), Playwright (3), French (4), "BLIND" (3), Now (3)

Lach Trash: Nashville, Italy

Instaget FJ.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Sloppy game. Lots of bad negs, including some especially horrible ones on $2,000 clues, with some pause after Alex was finished.

Why, when you're either in the lead, or very, very close, would you make a wild guess at a $2,000 clue? Also, PJ's neg of "Hundred Years' War" instead of "Thirty Years' War" exposed that he didn't know anything about either conflict, but was simply memorizing massive amounts of short factoids from a list or app. That's the only way to make that particular neg.

Which is fine, I guess; there is certain information I memorize too, but not to read even a short article about two of the most important wars ever? Left a sour taste in my mouth and made me root against him.

All the Daily Double bets were atrocious, but that's par for the course.

I would have likely wagered $0 on FJ, as I had no confidence in the category. To my absolute shock, I got "Space Oddity" almost instantly, and then spent the rest of my time wondering whether it was actually "Rocketman", instead.

Also got LT of Chekhov and Italy.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I am proud of myself for getting as far as "Ground Control to Major Tom" which is probably what I would have written as my answer. I didn't have the foggiest idea what the name of the song was.
Teems with quiet fun.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: You've heard of the sun, right? It's hot.
Yes, but I didn't know it could be used for water heaters too. Certainly not an option out here.