Friday, October 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7390, 2016-10-28

CONTESTANTS
Julia Lee, a pharmacy student from San Bruno, California
Meghan Winch, a theater artist from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ken Hirsh, a law library director and law professor from Milford, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. This has been a great week for our Jeopardy! winners. We had two runaways. Two days ago, we had a big win, close to $25,000. And yesterday, a lot of excitement with Ken winning by a margin of just $1. He's the champ. He's the one to defeat, Meghan and Julia. Can you do it? Are you up to it? Let's start finding out. Here we go, the Jeopardy! Round, coming up with these categories now for you to deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MASTERS OF SOCKS (5/5)
STUFF ABOUT STATES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INITIALITERATURE (5/5)
GARDEN PARTY (4/5)
FORE! (3/5)
LETTER WORDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ken: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Meghan: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Ken had $3,000, Meghan was scoreless, and Julia was at $1,200. Ken wagered $1,500.

STUFF ABOUT STATES $800: It was the first state to have a chemical element named for it

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ken: $3,900
Julia: $1,800
Meghan: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Recently, I read an article about young entrepreneurs in California, people who want to start their own businesses. Now, Julia Lee, you're a pharmacy student and yet, you would like to start your own business in something that has nothing to do with pharmacy. What?

Julia: So I've been seeing a lot of food trucks around lately.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Julia: And so I thought, what's a food I really like? If I wanted to make a food truck, what would I make it out of? I decided I would do dumplings, because you can make a lot of them at once, and then I can call it the Dump Truck.

[Laughter]

Alex: I'll invest money with you.

Julia: [Laughs] Thank you.

Alex: Meghan Winch, theater artist from Philadelphia. Middle name--Dorence.

Meghan: It is.

Alex: Unusual name.

Meghan: It is. My parents made it up.

Alex: Oh.

Meghan: So my grandmothers' names are Dorothy--and it's her birthday today. Uh, happy birthday--uh, and Florence. So my parents put it together to make "Dorence". And whenever I would come home and complain to my parents about, "Why couldn't it be Jane or Ann?" They would say, "It could've been Florothy, Meghan."

[Laughter]

Alex: I like your parents.

Alex: All right, Ken Hirsh is our champion. He's from Milford, Ohio. And while working for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agency, you helped pass legislation that I'm very much in favor of because it helps protect one of my favorite animals.

Ken: Actually, under the Endangered Species Act, I wrote the--or I was the primary author of the regulations that created low speed, or what we call "no wake zones" in Florida, to help avoid manatee-boat collisions, to protect the manatee.

Alex: And that still happens...

Ken: Yes.

Alex: ...'cause people just don't seem to care. They think the manatee is such a beautiful, gentle creature, and it is, but they don't realize that they're just under the surface. And if you're going by at 30 miles an hour, your prop can do a lot of damage.

Ken: That's right.

Alex: Well, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STUFF ABOUT STATES $1000: The words "Battle Born" appear on the flag of this state that entered the Union during the Civil War
(Ken: What is West Virginia?)

GARDEN PARTY $400: A symbol of friendship between the U.S. & Canada, the International Peace Garden is on the border of N.D. & this province

FORE! $600: A golfer marks a scorecard with 2 numbers per hole if he has one of these, such as 20

FORE! $800: This biennial cup has pitted Europe's top golfers against America's best since 1927

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $5,600
Meghan: $4,000
Ken: $3,900
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHO'S THE MRS.? (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the mister.)
LEGAL MATTERS (5/5)
HISTORY: HIRED & FIRED (3/5)
WEATHER (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RHYME HOLE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AMERICAN ARTISTS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Meghan: 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ken: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Meghan snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Ken had $9,500, Meghan had $12,800, and Julia was at $7,200. Meghan wagered $2,000.

RHYME HOLE $2000: It's from the Old Norse for "demon"
(Alex: Meghan?)
(Meghan: I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Ken had $9,500, Meghan had $10,800, and Julia was at $8,800. Julia wagered $1,600.

WEATHER $1600: On the Beaufort scale, this 4-letter wind is stronger than a breeze but not as violent as a storm

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WEATHER $400: One of these can travel at a third the speed of light & heat the air in its path to more than 50,000 degrees
(Ken: What is a meteor?)
(Meghan: What is a comet?)

WEATHER $1200: In 1919 Norwegian meteorologist Jacob Bjerknes announced the discovery of these zones where air masses meet

AMERICAN ARTISTS $800: Fittingly, his last published work was created for the USA's bicentennial; he died 2 years later

HISTORY: HIRED & FIRED $1200: Yeah, you could always charm Elizabeth I, but disobeying James I & attacking the Spanish in 1618? Bad move. You're fired
(Ken: Who is Drake?)

AMERICAN ARTISTS $2000: "Early Sunday Morning" by Edward Hopper is just 1 masterpiece in this NYC museum dedicated to American art
(Ken: What is the Guggenheim?)
(Meghan: What is MOMA?)

HISTORY: HIRED & FIRED $2000: Byzantine Emperor Justinian, you oversaw a legal code & this "holy wisdom" church? Multitasker, you're hired

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $13,200
Ken: $9,900
Meghan: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters (exactly) for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Julia: Wager $6,600. If Ken bets to tie your $0 bet with a wager of $3,300, Ken would fall to $6,600 on a miss, and would beat you out by a dollar if you were to bet to cover and were also stumped.
Ken: If Meghan had less than two-thirds your score, your optimum wager would be $3,300, but you can't let Meghan surpass you. Wager $7,701. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,700 (to shut out Meghan) or less than $3,300 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Meghan). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Julia.
Meghan: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $1,101 and $8,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 title characters who have the same pair of initials both die by stabbing

FINAL SCORES
Meghan: $8,800 - $8,800 = $0 (Who are J Romeo+ Juliet) (3rd place)
Ken: $9,900 - $7,701 = $2,199 (Who are Lady Mab& an?) (2nd place)
Julia: $13,200 - $6,601 = $6,599 (Who are Hamlet & Horatio?) (New champion: $6,599)
(Alex: There is a male and a female. If you didn't get the male first, this was going to bring you a lot of grief.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $13,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Meghan: $10,800, 15 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ken: $9,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $33,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 18/59 = .305
Ken: 16/59 = .271
Meghan: 15/59 = .254
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STUFF ABOUT STATES $600: Rugged beauty abounds at Badlands National Park in this state

GARDEN PARTY $200: In spring, you can tiptoe through the tulips at the Keukenhof Gardens in this country

GARDEN PARTY $600: Here's one artist's rendering of this ancient wonder

GARDEN PARTY $1000: Seen here, his "Water Garden" was a constant source of inspiration

MASTERS OF SOCKS $600: This diamond-shaped pattern named for a Scottish clan's tartan is popular for socks

MASTERS OF SOCKS $1000: Tabi & flip-flop socks have this unique feature
(Meghan: What's a toe?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

FORE! $400: It's the only one of golf's Grand Slam tournaments that's held at the same course every year
(Julia: What is Pebble Beach?)

FORE! $1000: With 5 wins in 27 tournaments, this American was the top-ranked men's golfer of 2015
(Ken: Who is Els?)

LEGAL MATTERS $2000: The history of the possession of the evidence & where it's been is known as the "chain of" this
(Alex: All right, you did well in your category.)

RHYME HOLE $400: Type of "patch" seen here

HISTORY: HIRED & FIRED $800: You found paths for the pathfinder John C. Fremont. You're hired! & we'll name Nevada's capital for you!

CORRECT RESPONSES
California
Nevada
Manitoba
a handicap
the Ryder Cup
troll
a gale
a lightning bolt
fronts
Norman Rockwell
Sir Walter Raleigh
the Whitney
the Hagia Sophia
Juliet Capulet & Julius Caesar
South Dakota
the Netherlands
the Hanging Gardens of Babylon
(Claude) Monet
argyle
a separated big toe (a big toe accepted)
the Masters
Jordan Spieth
custody
soul
(Kit) Carson
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 title characters who have the same pair of initials both die by stabbing

Ken Hirsh: 9900-7701=2199
Meghan Winch: 8800-8800=0
Julia Lee: 13200-6601=6599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Juliet Capulet & Julius Caesar (Ken – Lady Macbeth &) (Meghan – Romeo & Juliet) (Julia – Hamlet & Horatio)

Daily Doubles
Ken: 3000+1500
Meghan: 12800-2000
Julia: 8800+1600

Coryats
Ken: 9200
Meghan: 10800
Julia: 13200

Combined: 33,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I went to high school with Meghan (she was a senior when I was a freshman), so retroactive good luck if she's reading this. As far as I know, no one else from Monsignor Donovan Donovan Catholic has been on the show.
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got this but I agree with Alex it was tough. I read R&J in high school so I knew how she died. But if you haven't (or it has been a long time), you may not know she stabbed herself or know her last name.

I guess Meghan's wager was appropriate since FJ was about someone who committed suicide.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Hillary presser cutting into precious Jeopardy! time...
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Watching Hillary press conference instead of Jeopardy :cry:

Got to Julius Caesar instantly and was trying to run through "C" last names which didn't get me to Juliet in time. I thought about "Jesus Christ" for a second, but....yeah....
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ took damn near the entire 30 seconds. Got stuck on Julius Caesar, then with a few seconds left kinda mumbled Juliet under my breath as the only other 'J' character I could remember...oh wait, yeah, Capulet. Whew.

Missed half of the J! round thanks to asshole candidate #1's presser. Can't wait for this godforsaken election to end.

Also, grumble grumble wagering argh glargh I've given up expecting better.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Good for the new champ not biting that ever-so-tempting gust negbait for gale. I bit hard, and wound up looking up the scale during the commercial break to see, sure enough, "gust" isn't mentioned anywhere on it.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Good thing my knowledge of Shakespeare is somewhat limited, I got Julius Caeser and Juliet Capulet pretty quickly.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Got her, never made it around to him.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

econgator wrote:Got her, never made it around to him.
I did the opposite. My first 4.5/5 FJ week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT China, lightning bolt, or Gauguin in the top box?

I got cut in at the Peace Garden clue for a special report, and they came back just before DJ! Anyone got the missing clues?

NHO James Brolin, Josh Duhamel, John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Dax Shepard.

4/5 in Rhyme Hole. Clammed on parole since I didn't know it could be a verb too.

Sure, they don't BMS Kit Carson this time, but they did when he was in the $200 box last time.

Stabbing... Julius Caesar. J. C. Any other J. C.'s? I spun my wheels for two minutes straight and nothing came. Even when he said one male, one female, I was completely blank: what the hell females are famous in Shakespeare titles? I think part of it was that I was expecting it to be a title character whose name was by itself (e.g. Titus Andronicus), not one half of a title pair.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: I guess Meghan's wager was appropriate since FJ was about someone who committed suicide.
Usually, its second place that does this but
Spoiler
Now it's happened two games in a row from third. I wonder if PJ was watching from the audience and maybe realized he got away with a foolish wager in his game...

I don't know which was more surprising, 'Lightning Bolt' being a TS, or Meghan rebounding with another wrong answer after Ken.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I played FJ off website and I eventually got it. Although I never write my responses, I thought that writing both names will take a long time. I scribbled those names as quickly as possible and it took between 9-10 seconds. Would they just accept JC?
Although I liked the clue, given 30secs this one is too cute from the writers.

Liked dump truck, trademark it champ.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

doihavetoreally wrote:Although I never write my responses, I thought that writing both names will take a long time. I scribbled those names as quickly as possible and it took between 9-10 seconds. Would they just accept JC?
No way.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Category 13 wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Although I never write my responses, I thought that writing both names will take a long time. I scribbled those names as quickly as possible and it took between 9-10 seconds. Would they just accept JC?
No way.
I've been thinking lately that they should use keyboards for the FJ answers, rather than handwriting. It's particularly relevant when the answers are long, as with this one, but it'd also be much clearer for AT to read. And in my case, my fine motor control goes to hell in any stressful situation, which makes me worry that if I ever do get on the show, I won't be able to even write my name legibly, much less an FJ response.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Socks (3), States (4), Lit (4), Garden (4), Fore! (4), Letter (2)
Mrs. (2), Legal (2), History (4), Weather (3), Hole (1), Artist (2)

Lach Trash: Manitoba, Ryder Cup, fronts, Sir Walter Raleigh

I got to Julius Caesar, but not Juliet; I knew that she stabbed herself and that her last name was Capulet, but I threw myself off by thinking that both initials had to be in the title of the play.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Coryat: $30,600
41 R/ 3 W
DD's: 2/3
FJ: :(
Lach Trash: Manitoba, Ryder Cup, lightning bolt, Rockwell, Whitney, Hagia Sophia
What xxaaaxx said. Thanks to Andy for posting the preempted clues.
I got spoiled (or rather, spoiled myself) on FJ and there was no way I could've solved this in 30 seconds. As an LL question, maybe. I came up with "Romeo Montague and Richard M-something."
Kind of an average game with less negging than usual. Congrats to Meghan for going from $0 to the lead at one point.
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

sarisson wrote:Thanks to Andy for posting the preempted clues.
Where?