Friday, October 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Friday, October 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

Got as far as "Julius Caesar and Juliet" when think music ran out I wonder if that would've been accepted... her character title is just 'Juliet' and there are no other titles with that character in the folios. Admittedly a toughie!

39R; LT: Ryder Cup; lightning bolt. NO get on NYC Am Musuem of art = Whitney.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
sarisson wrote:Thanks to Andy for posting the preempted clues.
Where?
At The Jeopardy Fan.
Hoping for a third lap
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a great fj clue. I got it right away.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Had to root for the new champ after she got Jordan Speith in the golf category. Not sure why somebody would think Ernie Els is American, if someone is going to answer that it would reason they knew at least something about the person.

And of course the issue with the middle contestant giving away tons of green by being wagering ignorant.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Thanks to that weather DD I decided to look up the Beaufort scale, since "stronger than a breeze" seems like a strange definition for gale force winds. Apparently, up to 31MPH is a "strong breeze". Yeah sure.

Also, I'll have to avoid Philly and Milford, Ohio, since apparently their weather involves regular meteor and comet strikes travelling at .33c.
(I'm kidding. Mostly. Not sure why no one got lightning on the rebound though.)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

What a timely FJ! I just finished reading Julius Caesar a few days ago. Despite this, it still took me about 20 seconds to figure out the second character, Juliet Capulet. I imagine it was nerve-wracking for all the contestants involved.

Overall, it was a well-played, competitive game, and the new champion impressed me.

Got LT of Manitoba, Ryder Cup, fronts, and Sir Walter Raleigh.

All the DD wagers were poor; if you aren't confident in a category and think you will probably get it wrong, bet $5, not $1500-$2000.

And as Golf noted, horrible FJ wager by Meghan. Especially in a FJ category that has had many difficult clues resulting in Triple Stumpers before. Betting $0-$2200 was called for.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote:Got as far as "Julius Caesar and Juliet" when think music ran out I wonder if that would've been accepted... her character title is just 'Juliet' and there are no other titles with that character in the folios. Admittedly a toughie!
I can't imagine they'd neg that response. It helps that her family name isn't in the title.

I thought of the self-inflicted stabbing right away, and then had to go to the initials to jog my memory. My dad got the wrong title character for the suicide and combined plays to get his response of "Romeo Montague and Regan Macbeth" :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Train of thought upon seeing final:

- Romeo & Juliet...one of them used a dagger
- It was Juliet. Romeo used poison
-- (And I've done the damn Opera event in WoW Karazhan often enough... http://www.wowhead.com/sound=9310/a-juliannedeath02 )
- Juliet Capulet. JC
- Julius Caesar
- *naps for 25 seconds*
- Oh, Alex expected us to get the guy first, huh? Reeeeeally
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

I was pretty certain one of the answers would be from Romeo and Juliet. So RM and JC. Can't believe I couldn't pull Julius Caesar out of the hat.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

AleBelly wrote:I was pretty certain one of the answers would be from Romeo and Juliet. So RM and JC. Can't believe I couldn't pull Julius Caesar out of the hat.
To be fair, it's a very large yellow hat; 30 seconds isn't nearly enough time to rummage through all of it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: NHO James Brolin, Josh Duhamel, John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Dax Shepard.
The J!6 was Tim McGraw married to Faith Hill.

Ken's lack of golf knowledge in FORE! had it easy to root for the spinning carousel tonight.

The FJ! category is not my strength, but I'm familiar enough with the titles and main characters to solve the clue with plenty of time to write the correct response in its entirety.

Without a doubt anyone who had Julius Caesar and Juliet have a correct response. What I wondered is if Caesar & Juliet would have received a thumbs up. While I think tonight's clue was a good one and perfectly fair for regular J!, I would have saved it for the TOC. Even with multi-game winning champs I suspect the clue may not have gone 3/3.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

xxaaaxx wrote:Thanks to that weather DD I decided to look up the Beaufort scale, since "stronger than a breeze" seems like a strange definition for gale force winds. Apparently, up to 31MPH is a "strong breeze". Yeah sure.

Also, I'll have to avoid Philly and Milford, Ohio, since apparently their weather involves regular meteor and comet strikes travelling at .33c.
(I'm kidding. Mostly. Not sure why no one got lightning on the rebound though.)
Yeah that was a corker. Even a small metor like the one that hit Elizabeth Hodges in Sylacauga, AL in 1954, if traveling at .33c would have sufficient kinetic energy to vaporize North America. Long before Ms Hodges took a meteor, another one landed in Alabama: Wetumpka Crater Impact had KE ~175,000 Hiroshima bombs and made a crater ~5 miles wide, a real piker moving at a mere ~20 m/s. C ~ 300,000,000 m/s, so .33c ~ 100,000,000 m/s and thus a similar meteor impact at .33c would have (100m/20) = 50,000,000 times the energy of the Wetumpka Crater Impact, or the equivalent of 50m(175000) = 8,754,000 million ~ 9 trillion Hiroshima bombs. So that would vaporize the planet. Yeah... that hurts. OW! :o
I was thinking subatomic particle, went with electrons, I wonder if that would BMS?!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

sarisson wrote:I went to high school with Meghan (she was a senior when I was a freshman), so retroactive good luck if she's reading this. As far as I know, no one else from Monsignor Donovan Donovan Catholic has been on the show.
I liked Meghan a lot. Unfortunately for her, she didn't need luck; she needed wagering sense. The game was hers for the taking and she gave it away.
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

When I read final Jeopardy, I was trying to think of a pair of people with the same first name in the same title. I didn't realize they could to be from two separate titles. :oops: (I thought Juliet had to be one of them, though).
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

IronNeck wrote:
AleBelly wrote:I was pretty certain one of the answers would be from Romeo and Juliet. So RM and JC. Can't believe I couldn't pull Julius Caesar out of the hat.
To be fair, it's a very large yellow hat; 30 seconds isn't nearly enough time to rummage through all of it.
You wouldn't believe all the useless junk in there either.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I think part of it was that I was expecting it to be a title character whose name was by itself (e.g. Titus Andronicus), not one half of a title pair.
I thought it was somewhat confusing because I expected the full name to be in both titles. The best I could come up with was Titus Andronicus and Timon of Athens. It seemed like a lot to parse in 30 seconds. I think if you thought of Julius Caesar right away it was probably pretty gettable, otherwise you'd be scratching your head.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I think part of it was that I was expecting it to be a title character whose name was by itself (e.g. Titus Andronicus), not one half of a title pair.
I thought it was somewhat confusing because I expected the full name to be in both titles. The best I could come up with was Titus Andronicus and Timon of Athens. It seemed like a lot to parse in 30 seconds. I think if you thought of Julius Caesar right away it was probably pretty gettable, otherwise you'd be scratching your head.
I did hit on Julius Caesar right away and was still stumped for the other name.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

ZachTheRiah wrote:When I read final Jeopardy, I was trying to think of a pair of people with the same first name in the same title. I didn't realize they could to be from two separate titles. :oops: (I thought Juliet had to be one of them, though).
I also spent most of the time trying to think of a pair in the same title. Unfortunately, Carl Troilus and Cressida Thompson weren't stabbed.

(I should add to my earlier post that I got Julius Caesar just as time was running out -- if I'd thought of him earlier, I might have had a chance.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I did hit on Julius Caesar right away and was still stumped for the other name.
Mrs. Caesar would like a word with you.

Myself, I did my best TPH impression by saying "there are Shakespeare characters with first and last names?" for well over 20 seconds - all the characters that came to mind I could only think of one name (Hamlet, Polonius, Laertes, King Whoever, Macbeth - near the end I was just spitballing names, not even caring if they were stabbed or not). I got "Julius Caesar" around second #28, absolutely no time to remember Juliet, and her last name. (Plus, I always get her means of death mixed up with Ophelia's.)

Glad to see the Peace Gardens clue, this is literally one of my top favourite places to visit, this is mainly because I'm a border geek, the international border runs right through the park, it's quite symmetrical, and a bunch of neat things to see, including a 9/11 memorial made out of girders from the World Trade Center, a very large carillon, border markers throughout the park (btw, you don't have to clear customs going in (either one, no matter which way you enter from), but you do have to check in with your respective country's customs when you return), and also the only structure I'm aware of that's deliberately built to straddle the border (a peace chapel). The kids like the flowers and doing the "I'm in Canada!" *jump* "I'm in the US!" game too. If you're ever out that way, you must pay it a visit.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vowela wrote:Good for the new champ not biting that ever-so-tempting gust negbait for gale. I bit hard, and wound up looking up the scale during the commercial break to see, sure enough, "gust" isn't mentioned anywhere on it.
That was hardly negbait. That's because a gust isn't a wind speed; it's a (sudden) change in the wind speed.

It will be interesting to see where this FJ polls. It took me a few seconds, but I managed to get it.