Thursday, November 3, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 3, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7394, 2016-11-03

CONTESTANTS
Sharon Stern Gerstman, an attorney from Buffalo, New York
Rachel Hopkins, a student from Middletown, Rhode Island
Vivek Ravishanker, a freelance consultant from Higganum, Connecticut

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Vivek, I'm looking in the audience, and I see your parents are here once again today to bring you luck.

Vivek: Of course!

Alex: Okay.

Vivek: Pleasure to have them here.

Alex: All right, Rachel and Sharon, I hope you have supporters up there, and I'm sure you do. Good luck to all of you. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? All right, here are your categories in the first round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A NON-COMPOTE CLAUSE (3/5)
SHAKESPEARE'S WOMEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COMMUNICATION IS KEY (5/5)
OUR OFFICE FANTASY FOOTBALL TEAM NAMES (4/5)
YOU DISCOVER THE ASTRONOMICAL BODY (5/5) (Alex: Its name will be within the text of the clue.)
"OOK" (4/5) [Alex pronounces the category title like "Oh, okay."] (Alex: Those three letters are going to come up in each correct response, in that order.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vivek: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Rachel: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sharon: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Vivek had $600, Rachel had $3,000, and Sharon had nothing in the bank. Rachel wagered $1,500.

SHAKESPEARE'S WOMEN $800: Bianca must wait for this bad-tempered older sister to wed before she can

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rachel: $4,500
Sharon: $2,200
Vivek: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sharon Stern Gerstman is an attorney from Buffalo, New York, who, like my late mother, was into knitting. And you are into knitting, particularly socks.

Sharon: Yes, I entered three competitions of sock knitting every year--the Canadian Crazy Train, Sock Madness, and Tour-de-Sock. And I was gonna bring you a pair of socks, Alex.

Alex: Well, next time you come to our program, do, please, bring me a pair of socks that you have knit.

Sharon: I will.

Alex: Rachel Hopkins is a student from Rhode Island.

Rachel: Yep.

Alex: She's young.

Rachel: I am 24.

Alex: She got married, and she got carded at her own wedding.

[Laughter]

Alex: How does that happen?

Rachel: Um, so, I mean, I got married when I was 23, 6 months ago. And I walked up to the bar and I was like, "Can I have a beer?" She goes, "Do you have your I.D. on you?" So I looked down at my dress, I looked back at her, "No." She wouldn't let me have it until the events coordinator was like, "Just give her the beer."

[Alex laughs.]

[Laughter]

Alex: Vivek Ravishanker is our champion. He was dressed up in a suit and tie at an unusual event, and you went through with it.

Vivek: Yeah, um, so among the people that I play trivia with are Tyler and Ariel, whose wedding I attended. Uh, following that wedding, they had midnight bowling in suits. And I did the best I've ever done bowling, so...

Alex: Bowling in a suit?

Vivek: Uh-huh. With the shoes and everything.

Alex: You did have bowling shoe--your regular shoes?

Vivek: No, dress shoes.

Alex: Ooh.

[Chuckles]

Alex: Hope you didn't scrape the alley. No.

Vivek: [Laughing] No comment.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUR OFFICE FANTASY FOOTBALL TEAM NAMES $600: Darn, somebody beat us to this Hall of Fame 1970s Dolphin fullback "& the Chocolate Factory"

"OOK" $800: 7-letter "chess" term for a penguin's breeding colony

A NON-COMPOTE CLAUSE $800: Compote is traditional on Rosh Hashanah; this dessert, on Christmas--Mrs. Cratchit even whips some up

A NON-COMPOTE CLAUSE $1000: "Compote" can mean a dish for serving it; this layered dessert also has its own glass, but it's taller & narrower

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rachel: $6,500
Vivek: $6,000
Sharon: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 3, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE (4/5)
10-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (3/5)
GEOGRAPH'IA" (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I LIKE BIG BUCKS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
& I CANNOT LIE (2/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Sharon: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Vivek: 4 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vivek snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Vivek had $4,800, Rachel had $9,700, and Sharon was at $5,200. Vivek made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

GEOGRAPH'IA" $1600: This dry, windswept region covers almost all of southern Argentina

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Vivek had $10,400, Rachel had $14,500, and Sharon was at $8,000. Rachel wagered $2,000.

I LIKE BIG BUCKS $1600: An article about this app was titled "How 3 guys turned renting an air mattress in their apartment into a $25 bil. company"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: This Nebraska Democrat lost an 1894 bid for the U.S. Senate but was nominated for president 2 years later
(Vivek: Who is McKinley?)

AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: A 1621 treaty with the Wampanoags gave the Pilgrims protection against this tribe from what's now Rhode Island

GEOGRAPH'IA" $2000: You might say this region of Croatia that extends about 230 miles along the coast has a "spotty" reputation

10-LETTER WORDS $800: A stern boss or supervisor may be called a "harsh" this

SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE $2000: Maurice Evans played this wise simian "Dr." in "Planet of the Apes"

I LIKE BIG BUCKS $2000: (I'm Lara Logan of CBS News.) I conducted a rare interview with Jack Ma, founder of this Chinese Internet company that made a big splash in 2014 by finishing its first day of trading with a market value of $231 billion dollars
(Vivek: What is Baidu?)
(Rachel: What is Weibo?)

& I CANNOT LIE $800: The title of this official newspaper of the Communist Party of the USSR translates to "truth"
(Sharon: What is Tass?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rachel: $15,300
Vivek: $8,800
Sharon: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY ANIMALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Rachel: Wager $2,301 to cover Vivek.
Vivek: You have the hope of surpassing Rachel if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,501 to force Rachel to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Sharon.
Sharon: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1926 book, he "is in a very sad condition, because it's his birthday, & nobody has taken any notice of it, & he's very gloomy"

FINAL SCORES
Sharon: $7,200 + $7,188 = $14,388 (Who is Eeyore?) (3rd place)
Vivek: $8,800 + $8,800 = $17,600 (Who is Eeyore?) (2nd place)
Rachel: $15,300 + $6,499 = $21,799 (Who is Eeyore) (New champion: $21,799)
(Alex: [Sad voice] And you have 30 seconds to figure out who I am.)
(Alex: I'm gonna begin by complimenting myself and saying that my impressions of literary animals must be really, really good because these three players wrote down their responses in about the first 3 seconds. [Snaps fingers])

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachel: $14,200, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Sharon: $7,200, 11 R, 1 W
Vivek: $5,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $27,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 22/60 = .367
Vivek: 16/59 = .271
Sharon: 12/58 = .207
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OUR OFFICE FANTASY FOOTBALL TEAM NAMES $400: Let's be "Fiddling While" this Cowboy QB "Burns"; he was hot when he won the D-1AA version of the Heisman
[Alex reads "D1-AA" as "Division-One Double-A".]

SHAKESPEARE'S WOMEN $600: She's pictured here in the lawyer's disguise she wears to save the Merchant of Venice

"OOK" $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) The penalty box awaits an NHL player after the ref makes the signal for this infraction

COMMUNICATION IS KEY $600: The first primitive form of this device that sends print over a telephone line was made in 1843 by a Scottish inventor
(Rachel: What is a telegraph?)

I LIKE BIG BUCKS $1200: This ex-Microsoft man has fun with his billions, owning 3 pro sports teams & giving away $2 billion to charity
(Vivek: Who is Palmer?)
(Rachel: Who is Bill Gates?)

10-LETTER WORDS $400: It's the beach favorite being played here
(Vivek: What is racquetball?)

10-LETTER WORDS $1200: Background info in a novel or movie, or the type of international event seen here

& I CANNOT LIE $400: Using accepted truths like axioms & postulates, this Greek came up with 467 propositions of plane & solid geometry
(Rachel: Who's Pythagoras?)

& I CANNOT LIE $1200: The game show "To Tell the Truth" returned to TV in 2016 with this star of "black-ish" as its host
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Katherine
Larry Csonka
a rookery
pudding
a parfait
Patagonia
Airbnb
William Jennings Bryan
the Narragansett
Dalmatia
taskmaster
Dr. Zaius
Alibaba
Pravda
Eeyore
Tony Romo
Portia
hooking
a fax machine
(Paul) Allen
paddle ball
exposition
Euclid
Anthony Anderson
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY ANIMALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1926 book, he "is in a very sad condition, because it’s his birthday, & nobody has taken any notice of it, & he’s very gloomy"

Vivek Ravishanker: 8800+8800=17600
Rachel Hopkins: 15300+6499=21799 (New Champ)
Sharon Stern Gerstman: 7200+7188=14388

Correct response:
Spoiler
Eeyore

Daily Doubles
Rachel: 3000+1500
Vivek: 4800+4800
Rachel: 14500+2000

Coryats
Vivek: 5600
Rachel: 14200
Sharon: 7200

Combined: 27,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Today's Final is going to poll over 95% on Mark's poll. It was easy enough without an impression.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

This should hold the title of easiest FJ! of the season. Period. End of story.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I got this one right, which is nothing to be proud of, but my pre-call of "Winnie the Pooh" was on point, so I get to feel good about something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:This should hold the title of easiest FJ! of the season. Period. End of story.
Brexit from last week was at 97%, so it won't be easy to beat.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'd complain about Alex's impression turning this into a Kids Week clue, but
OntarioQuizzer wrote:Today's Final is going to poll over 95% on Mark's poll. It was easy enough without an impression.
yeah I don't think anything could've saved this FJ. That was a J! round $200 clue, at best.

"John Wilkes Booth's actor brother", for 2000?? Airbnb a DD, when spotted a description of the business and the "air"?!

Favorite LT of the day: Dalmatia. That would've been a better DD than 'dry region of southern Argentina + "ia".

I thought that fantasy football category was going to be groan-inducingly awful. It was. And it was glorious :D :D

Not happy about the Csonka TS though, and not just because I'm a football fan and grew up watching American Gladiators.

OK yes, that's why, shame on you three :twisted:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Fantasy Football. Didn't recognize anything.

0/5 in Shakespeare's Women. Didn't recognize anything.

0/5 in History. Didn't recognize anything.

0/5 in that space category in J! too. Didn't realize what the category was at $200, and the other four words just didn't jump out to me.

Got only $200 in Ook. NHO the middle 3.

Pudding was a total guesswork clue. I almost went with pastry + Christmas = fruitcake.

No LaMarche in the Maurice category? For shame.

NHO paddleball.

Also bit on the Pythagoras negbait.

Rare game show miss for me because I didn't know there was a To Tell the Truth revival, much less who hosted it.

Lach Trash: Taskmaster, Pravda.

My joking precall on FJ! was The Wainscott Weasel.

Yes, I insta-got this.
xxaaaxx wrote:"John Wilkes Booth's actor brother", for 2000?? Airbnb a DD, when spotted a description of the business and the "air"?!
Those are only easy if you've heard of either of them, which I have not.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got FJ, but I'll admit that I wrote down both Winnie the Pooh and the correct response.

I made the correct decision as to which one to cross out. I think my thought process was something like "It's obviously the Winnie the Pooh books, and Pooh himself was somewhat gloomy -- but wait, it's probably the even more gloomy character. And I think Alex is trying to do his voice."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OK. I get it now. Please, Jeopardy! do not ever again have any clues about Buffalo NY, nor any contestants from there. I want my Buffalo affiliate to actually broadcast the show in its entirety.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Airbnb a DD, when spotted a description of the business and the "air"?!
Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't use "inflatable" instead.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Clause (2), Shakespeare (0), Key (3), Football (5), Astro (1), "OOK" (3)
Maurice (3), 10-Letter (2), History (4), Geograph"IA" (4), Bucks (2), Lie (2)

Lach Trash: Larry Csonka, William Jennings Bryan, Narragansett, Dalmatia, Pravda

Even with the impression, FJ took me longer than an instant; I can't guarantee that I would have answered correctly without the assistance.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everestian
Contributor

Post by everestian »

Got Lach Trash on William Jennings Bryan, the Narragansett tribe, and Pravda.

Also, definitely agree that the FJ was so ridiculously easy. Darn you, Alex, your voice acting is excellent!

In terms of category breakdown:
J! Round:
3 correct on Non-Compote, 3 correct on Shakespeare Women (Regan and Goneril was an instaget for me), 1 correct on Fantasy Football, 4 correct on Communication is Key, 2 Correct on Astronomical Bodies, and 2 correct on OOK.

DJ! Round:
4 correct on Some People Call Me Maurice (Maurice Gibbs darn it!), 2 correct on 10-Letter Words, rounded all of American History, 2 correct on Geographia, 2 correct on Big Bucks, and 2 correct on I Cannot Lie.

Personal Coryat: $28,800.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:Today's Final is going to poll over 95% on Mark's poll. It was easy enough without an impression.

Not to me. I guessed Babar the elephant.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There's always someone who has a brain fart and spoils what looks like a sure-fire 100%. On this episode, I was the spoiler.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

FWIW, though I usually pass the on line test, have had several auditions, and I'm pretty sure I had a lock from the 4th podium tonight, I didn't have a clue for FJ!, even with Alex's impression, so, no, it wasn't easy enough.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I got FJ, but I wouldn't necessarily call it the easiest of the season. It certainly wasn't for me, taking a solid 15 seconds after Alex finished reading. And literature is my greatest area of strength.

Aside from that, this was a very fun, competitive game. Rachel displayed outstanding trivia knowledge, but almost equally horrendous wagering.

Betting $1500 on the first DD, when she had $3,000, in a category she was clearly excellent at, made me wince. The $2,000 or $2,500 bet on the second DD she got, when she was in the lead by $4,000 and a fairly straightforward category, was also poor. She should have locked up the game, but her poor DD wagering left a window of opportunity open for Vivek. (Who, despite having wagered poorly in his first appearance, made the accurate all-in DD bet today)

And I have no clue why she didn't make the standard cover bet in that crush situation in FJ. Then again, Seth Wilson also had excellent knowledge and great buzzer reactions to go along with poor wagering, so perhaps it won't hurt her.

Got LT of rookery, taskmaster, Dr. Zauis, and Pravda.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Did anyone else hear Johnny's voice crack when saying "whose" before Vivek's total?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I heard two things during story time with Sharon that caught my ears. Alex mentioned his mother was deceased and it sure sounded like Sharon called the host, Alec, although the closed captioning had Alex.

Of course Maurice Evans = Dr. Zaius was going to be a stumper. My heart accepts those stabs. The players not getting Pravda or W.J. Bryan seemed like ones that would not get past TOC players. Rachel's Coryat was more than the combined of Vivek and Sharon, so it was her game to win from first place on a FJ! clue that will go over 90%.

I spent the 30 seconds looking at Eeyore and Eyeore on my paper and each one alternated between looking correct and incorrect multiple times. It's one of those names I've seen before many times & said many times, but can't recall typing or writing it previously although I must have filled it in for some kind of word puzzle in the past.

Every so often I check the Jeopardy! Store just to see if it's open again or has any new items for the holidays. I like the photo it has there from an unusual angle and close-up of the board coupled with Alex looking presidential. Or Prime Ministerial as the case may be. https://www.jeopardy.com/store/new