Tuesday, November 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by theFJguy »

J! Round
theFJguy

Re: Tuesday, November 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by theFJguy »

DJ! round
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The constitution of this country came into effect on February 4, 1997 & by 2016, 13 parties were represented in its parliament

Georjean McKeeman: 7400-6601=799
Stephanie Hubley: 7000-3000=4000 (new champ)
Allon Scheyer: 4200-3202=998

Correct response:
Spoiler
South Africa (Georjean - ?) (Stephanie – Scotland) (Allon – Northern Ireland)

Daily Doubles
Georjean: 200-1000
Georjean: 5800-2000

Coryats
Georjean: 10400
Stephanie: 7000
Allon: 4200

Combined: 21,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I did not see the normal thread started yet, so I set this up using theFJguy handle.

It was very appropriate to have a clue tonight asking for "bunker" and it made me laugh with gratefulness.

Only to avoid the Hammer blank page I went off 1997 to write Hong Kong. The correct response was not on my radar at all as I was darting around places in Asia, South America and Europe looking for any kind of plausible guess.

The first yahoo who posts, "how could that be a triple stumper" is out of touch with the typical things known by a trio of J! contestants as these kind of worldly FJ! clues often do not produce great results.

The combined Coryat was 21,600 to make it the kind of night for home viewers to shine over the 55 clues of the J! and DJ! rounds.

Georjean did her part in missing both DDs to try to not lead entering the FJ! round yet it was not enough as Stephanie had enough errors of her own to be in the trailing position.

Teens tomorrow although KGO ran a crawl last night that they would show tonight's Tuesday game on Wednesday night.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Only to avoid the Hammer blank page I went off 1997 to write Hong Kong. The correct response was not on my radar at all as I was darting around places in Asia, South America and Europe looking for any kind of plausible guess.
Didn't see the game, but I played FJ! off here. Could've given me 30 minutes and I wouldn't have come up with SA.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Another Hong Kong here. I remember when it left British rule in 1997, but I put it down just to have something. This clue will likely poll under 25%.
So. Many. Negs. When was the last time the contestants missed all the DD's (well, one was unrevealed) and FJ?
I taped this episode yesterday and was able to fast-forward through the political commercials for a change.
Hoping for a third lap
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anybody else yell "BE MORE SPECIFIC" when the contestant said "bunker"? :D
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Only to avoid the Hammer blank page I went off 1997 to write Hong Kong. The correct response was not on my radar at all as I was darting around places in Asia, South America and Europe looking for any kind of plausible guess.
Good lord I'm glad I'm not the only one. Even now I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious. I mean yes, of course it takes time to draft a constitution, but I was so convinced that the years were significant...

Also, this was an awful episode to watch. Has to be the lowest combined Coryat of the year so far. Why couldn't we (in NYC) have seen yesterday's ep and preempted this stinker?
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

opusthepenguin wrote:Anybody else yell "BE MORE SPECIFIC" when the contestant said "bunker"? :D
No, but I did laugh recalling our allied forces ably manning Trivia Base Antarctic against this coastal incursion.
sarisson wrote:Another Hong Kong here. I remember when it left British rule in 1997, but I put it down just to have something. This clue will likely poll under 25%.
So. Many. Negs. When was the last time the contestants missed all the DD's (well, one was unrevealed) and FJ?
I taped this episode yesterday and was able to fast-forward through the political commercials for a change.
I managed to walk the tightrope to a get here. "1997 - no countries came into the Commonwealth that late. Hmm. Ireland? No, they left and didn't come back because they went republic. But you can come back and/or stay in now. Who else... well, South Africa might have taken two and a half years to negotiate a new constitution - yeah, that's the best I've got." And it was just good enough, after struggling to my worst performance of the season in the main game ($15,000).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was thrown by the "Commonwealth Countries" category: South Africa was kicked out of the Commonwealth due to its Apartheid policies and republic status in the 1960s. What I didn't know was that it was readmitted in 1994 after the first multiracial elections.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I was already annoyed when Alex inexplicably gave Stephanie two whole attempts to spit out "Plain Dealer Plaza", but I was yelling expletives at my screen when he accepted her clearly wrong Apologies. At least they reversed the latter one.

And yeah, horrible game overall. I got a half a dozen TS, and felt like I should have gotten at least 3 more. LT of sodium chloride, Studebaker, Sons of Liberty, Galileo, Apology, and Sappho.

I missed FJ, guessing "Hong Kong", as did so many others. Agree with others that it's tough, especially within the time constraints.

Shame that the man in third place didn't learn how to wager properly, as he could have won having done so.

Also, I'm generally a fan of players being aggressive. However, there's a difference between going for it on clues where you have a decent idea, and just throwing out wild, clearly wrong guesses on highly valued clues.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For me, I never once thought Hong Kong (as it never was an independent country with its own parliament, and even less so now), but the 1997 threw me - I know the independence dates of almost all the countries of the world, especially the ones in the last 60 years or so (so, most of them), and no Commonwealth one (that they'd ask about on Jeopardy!) stood out anywhere near 1997. I did fleetingly consider South Africa early on, but I figured a) it was a new country, as an existing country would say "new constitution", b) it was some time after what I expected for South Africa (end of apartheid in 1994) and I figured their first post-apartheid constitution would be in place closer to Mandela's election. (I know the national symbols like the flag and anthem changed in 1994, I figured this was all done in the first multi-racial constitution, and c) I wasn't sure that South Africa was a member, I know it was kicked out in the early 1960s for obvious reasons, but I didn't think it came back after it got in international good graces again.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

I'm not surprised it was a triple stumper. I didn't get it but not because I didn't think South Africa wasn't a member of the Commonwealth. I knew they are but had no clue that was the correct response.

Canada hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1994 and I still have recollections of the huge ovation the South African team received during the opening ceremonies welcoming them back.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I guessed East Timor for FJ (with no confidence). 1997 was never going to get me to South Africa, at least not in 30 seconds.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I used the bunker for this episode only because I am out of town. Had I been at home, I could have seen it when it aired at 2:30. So I am one who was not officially pre-empted.

I said Belize for FJ. I knew they became independent fairly recently (though not that recently) and really couldn't think of anyone else. Hong Kong did come to mind but they were not an independent country though I didn't know their actual status in China and thought they might have had some sort of sovereignty as part of the deal transitioning from British rule.

I never would have thought of South Africa. I do not usually think of them as a former British colony. I also did not realize they had a new constitution. I mean, it makes sense, I guess I never really thought about it. I did know they overhauled the system of government when apartheid ended, so I guess they just had to start over from scratch.

I agree this was not the best game we've ever had.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Wish I'd watched this instead of the horror show I actually watched.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:I said Belize for FJ. I knew they became independent fairly recently (though not that recently) and really couldn't think of anyone else.
Same. Was pretty sure I was wrong, but that was the only fairly recently independent Commonwealth country I could think of. The only other country I considered was Singapore, but that seemed even less likely. Definitely a toughie.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Hong Kong here, but only because 1997. South Africa was not on my radar.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,400
40 R/0 W
DD: 1/2
FJ: :(
LT: topaz, salt (DD), Samurai, Studebaker, Sara Bareilles, Sons of Liberty, Sappho

Racka fracka. Argle bargle. I have managed a 14-game FJ! streak three times in the past two seasons, and each time #15 has been my kryptonite. Just no clue on this one.

I missed the Contemporaries DD, but it was rather obvious in hindsight. So that's why they call them the Galilean moons, huh?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

StevenH wrote:I guessed East Timor for FJ (with no confidence). 1997 was never going to get me to South Africa, at least not in 30 seconds.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who did that.