Friday, November 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7400, 2016-11-11

2016 Teen Tournament quarterfinal game 3.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Michael Kwan, a sophomore from Cupertino, California
Alec Fischthal, a junior from North Woodmere, New York
Leeyu Addisu, an eighth-grader from Ocala, Florida

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I can always rely on you to give me a good welcome here. As many of you know, this is the first time we have done the entire Teen Tournament here in Washington, D.C. We brought the kids in early so we'd give them a chance to see some of the sights. We'll get a chance to talk to them about that in a little bit. But right now, I wish Michael, Alec, and Leeyu good luck and put you to work in the first round, the Jeopardy! Round of play.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHECKING OUT ALL THE ANGLES (5/5)
ENTERTAINING ANIMALS (3/5)
NEVER BORED OF BOARD GAMES (5/5)
STARTS & ENDS WITH "E" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOTOR VEHICLES (5/5)
WHICH CONTINENT? (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alec: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Michael: 7 R, 2 W
Leeyu: 4 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leeyu found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. Leeyu had no money, Alec was scoreless, and Michael had nothing in the bank. Leeyu wagered $1,000.

STARTS & ENDS WITH "E" $600: If you're 18 you're part of this body of persons entitled to vote
(Leeyu: The election body?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alec: $3,800
Michael: -$600
Leeyu: -$1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: You know the kids are bright, but what about their teachers? What kind of teachers do they have? Michael Kwan, during one of your math classes, what was a tough assignment given to you by one of your teachers?

Michael: Uh, we were given the assignment to model the velocity and altitude of a skydiver as he fell through the sky.

Alex: And in order to determine what?

Michael: In order to determine when he can pull his parachute.

Alex: The last possible moment.

Michael: The last possible second.

Alex: And what did you come up with? What figure was it?

Michael: Uh, it's somewhere around, uh, maybe 10 seconds before he falls off the ground, depending on his drag coefficient.

Alex: Okay, thank you very much for that.

Alex: Now, Alec Fischthal from North Woodmere, New York.

Alec: That's right, Alex.

Alex: You were a finalist in an international science and engineering fair.

Alec: That's right. This year, I did a project, um, called "Elucidating the role of early light induced proteins from a cryptogram perspective", which just basically means that, um, me and a couple partners, we looked at a gene that's been proven to play a role in stress tolerance in a plant. So basically, just how a plant responds to, uh, light stress, uh, salinity, uh, heat. And we discovered this gene that we believe plays a part in a plant's ability to regulate.

Alex: How old are you Alec?

Alec: I'm 16. I just turned 16.

Alex: Do you realize I didn't understand one word of what you just said?

[Laughter]

Alex: And I'm a lot older than you.

Alex: Leeyu Addisu from Ocala, Florida. An eighth grader. Congratulations on making it to the Teen Tournament.

[Applause]

Leeyu: Thank you.

Alex: You did something that I wanted to do on a visit to New Zealand years ago. You swam where?

Leeyu: In Mexico, I swam in a cenote.

Alex: A cenote, which is?

Leeyu: It's a sinkhole that is filled with water that's connected to an underground river.

Alex: So you are underground. Do you have to wear a helmet with a light on it? And how does it work?

Leeyu: We didn't. We were in an area that had an opening to the air, so we just, uh, swam freely.

Alex: Okay. Was it exciting?

Leeyu: It was.

Alex: Almost as exciting as coming here to Washington, D.C.?

Leeyu: Almost as exciting here.

Alex: Almost as exciting. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHICH CONTINENT? $800: Is where you'd find the Adelie Coast
(Leeyu: What is Europe?)
(Alec: What is Australia?)
(Michael: What is North America?)

STARTS & ENDS WITH "E" $400: 5-letter word meaning to make very happy

ENTERTAINING ANIMALS $600: In a 2010 movie Justin Timberlake voiced this sidekick to Yogi Bear

ENTERTAINING ANIMALS $1000: On film a Maine harbormaster & his family have their hands full with "Andre", one of these aquatic mammals
(Alec: What is a lobster?)
(Leeyu: What is a dolphin?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alec: $7,200
Michael: $2,400
Leeyu: -$1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A STUDENT OF FILM (2/5)
ABBREV. (5/5)
LOOKING FOR ALASKA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PAPER TOWNS (5/5)
THE FAULT (3/5)
IN OUR STARS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alec: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 2 W
Michael: 9 R, 4 W
Leeyu: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alec snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Leeyu was in the hole with -$1,400, Alec had $8,000, and Michael was at $2,000. Alec wagered $1,000.

IN OUR STARS $800: In the group of stars seen here, it's the bright star at the top

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alec who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Leeyu had $1,800, Alec had $15,400, and Michael was at $8,400. Alec wagered $3,000.

LOOKING FOR ALASKA $2000: In 1728 this Dane in Russia's navy made the first of 2 voyages to the North Pacific

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN OUR STARS $400: You could say that this bright star is the top dog in Canis Major
(Michael: What is Polaris?)

IN OUR STARS $1600: In the constellation Gemini, the 2 bright stars at the top symbolize the heads of these twin brothers
(Alec: Who are Romulus and Remus?)

THE FAULT $1600: Welcome to the New Age--"My Fault" was on this band's album "Continued Silence"

THE FAULT $2000: In John 18:38 he says of Jesus, "I find in him no fault at all"

A STUDENT OF FILM $800: Imagine you're this 2008 film guy; you're an immortal vampire! Bella has caught your eye! But you're in high school... forever!
(Michael: Who is Taylor Lautner?)
(Alec: Um... Who is...Pattinson? Rob--Robert?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Alex: Robert Pattinson?)

A STUDENT OF FILM $1600: Set at John Hughes High, 2001's "Not Another Teen Movie" starred this actor, whom you may know as Captain America

A STUDENT OF FILM $2000: Andie, Blane & Duckie deal with love & H.S. in this "colorful" '86 pic; it's been on cable 1,000 times & you've seen it, right?

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alec: $18,400 (lock game)
Michael: $7,600
Leeyu: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS FIRST NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Alec: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Michael: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Leeyu: You've no hope of catching up... unless Michael does something stupid. So risk $2,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This first name of a 21st century activist was inspired by that of a Pashtun heroine known as the Afghan Joan of Arc

FINAL SCORES
Leeyu: $2,600 - $1,599 = $1,001 (What is ?) (3rd place)
Michael: $7,600 - $4,100 = $3,500 (What is Malalala) (2nd place)
Alec: $18,400 + $0 = $18,400 (What is Malala Malala) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [To Michael] No, you added one syllable too many.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alec: $17,200, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Michael: $7,600, 16 R, 6 W
Leeyu: $3,600, 8 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Alec: 25/60 = .417
Michael: 16/58 = .276
Leeyu: 8/59 = .136
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MOTOR VEHICLES $400: Hit the sand for some fun in one of these vehicles

MOTOR VEHICLES $1000: The Arctic Cat brand of these recreational vehicles has been made in Minnesota for over 50 years
(Michael: What are off-road?)

CHECKING OUT ALL THE ANGLES $200: Correct, it's the name given to this type of angle

CHECKING OUT ALL THE ANGLES $400: It describes these two angles that tell you how lovely & terrific you are

CHECKING OUT ALL THE ANGLES $600: Aw, it's the type of angle seen here

CHECKING OUT ALL THE ANGLES $800: Additionally, it describes the angles here

CHECKING OUT ALL THE ANGLES $1000: It's the reactionary name for this type of angle

THE FAULT $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a diagram on the monitor.) Cystic fibrosis is caused by a defective one of these hereditary bits of information, found on a chromosome; both parents need to have the faulty one to pass the condition on to a child

ABBREV. $2000: In the medical term H&H, one "H" is hematocrit; the other is this blood protein
(Michael: What is hemophilia?)

ABBREV. $800: A.D. in dates stands for Anno Domini, which literally means this
(Michael: What is after the day of?)

A STUDENT OF FILM $400: She left Hogwarts for a new school as Sam in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"
(Leeyu: Who is Hermione?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the electorate
Antarctica
elate
Boo-Boo
a seal
Polaris
(Vitus) Bering
Sirius
Castor & Pollux
Imagine Dragons
Pontius Pilate
Edward
Chris Evans
Pretty in Pink
Malala
a dune buggy
snowmobiles
a right angle
complementary
acute
supplementary
a reflex
a gene
hemoglobin
the Year of our Lord
Emma Watson
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS FIRST NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This first name of a 21st century activist was inspired by that of a Pashtun heroine known as the Afghan Joan of Arc

Leeyu Addisu: 2600-1599=1001
Michael Kwan: 7600-4100=3500
Alec Fischthal: 18400+0=18400 (semi-finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Malala? Leeyu had no guess and Michael said Malalala, which was counted wrong for an extra la
Daily Doubles
Leeyu: 0-1000
Alec: 8000+1000
Alec: 15400+3000=18400

Coryats
Leeyu: 3600
Michael: 7600
Alec: 17200

Combined: 28,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The name Malala means zero to me, so I had no guess.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Not as sad as emanciptation, but malalala was unfortunate. In both cases it didn't change the outcome of the game though.

Close to instaget FJ for me. Today's champion looked really strong - I won't be surprised if he wins it all.

As a geometry teacher, I liked the angle category.

I did not like them switching from actor--> role in the film category. I also said "Pattinson".
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I knew who the FJ! clue was referring to, but I could not remember her name, other than starting with M. Malia was my best guess, which was so frustratingly close.

"If you're 18 you're part of this body of persons entitled to vote." I said eligible instead of electorate. It's not as specifically correct, but it still fit the category requirements, and the word is very often used for people entitled to vote. I negged it, but it does seem like something that might have counted.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OSXpert wrote:Not as sad as emanciptation, but malalala was unfortunate. In both cases it didn't change the outcome of the game though.
I hope it doesn't change the outcome of the wildcard spots either, or that kid's going to be one sad puppy.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

econgator wrote:The name Malala means zero to me, so I had no guess.
This Jon Stewart interview with her is good. She's pretty awesome, imho.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

But have you heard of Malalala? She is known for being a proponent of the emanciptation of Pakistani girls.

At any rate, this was her fourth mention on the show, with the most recent one being six weeks ago.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

grindcore wrote:
But have you heard of Malalala? She is known for being a proponent of the emanciptation of Pakistani girls.

At any rate, this was her fourth mention on the show, with the most recent one being six weeks ago.
Oh, I was sure her name had been mentioned before, but it never stuck with me. If you had spotted me "Malal", I still couldn't have come up with it.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Malala was an instaget for me.

One thing that bothered me was that when the answer was Emma Watson and she answered Hermione and was negged, but yet when the answer was Edward and he said Robert Pattinson he got a BMS. He didn't get it anyway.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OSXpert wrote:I did not like them switching from actor--> role in the film category.
clprez wrote:One thing that bothered me was that when the answer was Emma Watson and she answered Hermione and was negged, but yet when the answer was Edward and he said Robert Pattinson he got a BMS.
Agreed on both counts.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Poll request....I knew who this FJ was about but not her name. Just so I'll have a box to check.

I think being the youngest one in the tournament worked against Leeyu. Clearly, she is bright if she got on the show, but she seemed very nervous. Then she had to go first and was put on the spot with a DD right off the bat. Drawing a strong player in Alec didn't help. Still, she did well and got out of the hole and made it to FJ.

Tough break for Michael, reminds me of the teacher who put down Waitin for Godot and got negged.

I also didn't like the bait and switch on the actors category.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Nice of Leeyu to go DD hunting!

Alec is a strong player, although I was still slightly more impressed by Emily yesterday. Still, I think they're both heavy favorites to make the finals, provided they aren't made to play one another.

Got LT of electorate, Booboo, Castor and Pollux, Edward Cullen, Chris Evans, and Pretty in Pink.

Missed FJ. Just couldn't come up with anything.

And yeah, I think the unfortunate misspelling will almost certainly cost Michael a wild-card spot. At present, even Jack's $5,600 from yesterday is looking like it might hold up. Completely depends on the difficulty of the next 2 FJs, really.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Malalala
Do doo be-do-do
Malalala
Do do-do do
Malalala
Do doo be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do-doodle do do do-doo do!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had fire engine for the pumper piece of equipment instead of fire truck and counted it correct. Fire engines = water and fire trucks = equipment is how I've always sorted them.

Asking the teens to get Boo Boo going with Yogi may be out of their realm of knowledge, but I have no problem with it being asked. Asking the teens to know Andre from the 1994 movie is a seal? That seemed like a waste of a clue and bound to be a TS. I got it, but certainly have not thought about that movie since the first Clinton administration.

Pretty in Pink a TS? Shame on the parents of these teens. Some movies do deserve to still be viewed in the 21st c.
OSXpert wrote:Not as sad as emanciptation, but malalala was unfortunate. In both cases it didn't change the outcome of the game though.
Yes, Alec still wins the game. Michael having 11,700 and leading the wildcards instead of having 3500 and standing third of the four slots may indeed matter a lot depending on QFs 4 & 5.
Bamaman wrote:Poll request....I knew who this FJ was about but not her name. Just so I'll have a box to check.
Sure, I can include that option.

I have a 2/7 for .286 in Current Events in LL, so it's always possible that I could have matched you or been like econgator stuck with being guessless. Tonight was fortunately one I knew (glad it was first name only) thanks to her story being told through many avenues. A movie version as insurance (He Named Me Malala) is always especially helpful for recalling a name/story.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It looked to me like he had Malalah, so it should have been good with a silent final H. Can anyone post a screengrab? I have already deleted the episode.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
michaelk
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by michaelk »

I was the unfortunate one who mispelled the woman's name. :| Thanks for the kind words guys. We'll see on Monday and Tuesday if my wild card spot holds up!
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

floridagator wrote:It looked to me like he had Malalah, so it should have been good with a silent final H. Can anyone post a screengrab? I have already deleted the episode.
I don't have a screen capture, but it was definitely Malalala, with three As. Disappointing for him, but them's the rules.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:Malalala
Do doo be-do-do
Malalala
Do do-do do
Malalala
Do doo be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do-doodle do do do-doo do!
That's exactly what I've been thinking.

Edit: I'm tired of Jeopardy only wanting Malala's first name. Make someone know/say Yousafzai, c'mon! [edit again: Elliot Yates gave her full name in the ToC.]