Tuesday, November 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vintsanity »

IronNeck wrote:
Dude, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.
Maaaybe try taking a look into a mirror sometimes....
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Michael, you're my new hero for going straight to the national anthems (and returning there). (And yes, I let out a fanboy squee when I saw the category).

When i saw the category, though I idly wondered how many anthems the average American knows. Besides The Star Spangled Banner, O Canada (the J!6 option) and God Save the Queen are most likely. And for Americans living in certain areas, the Mexican one might be familiar, even if they might not know the words. The category had some good hints for non-obvious ones, and I was genuinely impressed at some of the gets.

So, informal poll, how many anthems do you, dear reader, know? (I have no idea, as I assume my answer of "over 400" is far above average. :) )
MarkBarrett wrote:The FJ! clue showed how science and elements are not my strength. I read phosphorus and processed potassium. My paper had C-O-K-E-R and I had no scientist occur to me. I looked at the clue again and confirmed that cobalt was Co. Oh, phosphorus! That's a P, right? From there thanks to having scratch paper to work it out I was able to solve the clue. Tonight was the case when it's very handy to have the extra thinking time.
That's pretty much what happened to me. It would have been nice to throw in a mention that the scientist also has an element named for him. (My brain still thinks that copernicium is the newest element, have to get used to the other new ones, though oganesson and tennessine are some of my new favourite element names now.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

geolawyerman wrote:
AleBelly wrote: Maybe Michael didn't want to relinquish his lead
ding ding ding ding ding

It might not make sense in retrospect, but I have like two seconds to make the decision.
Actually, you have as much time as you dare to take; but they don't tell you that. Anyway, you did fine. Better than fine. If our less well-socialized members tell you different, ignore them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AleBelly wrote:Yes. I'm the one who is embarrassing myself.
Well... the hat's a little much.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

geolawyerman wrote:
AleBelly wrote: Maybe Michael didn't want to relinquish his lead
ding ding ding ding ding

It might not make sense in retrospect, but I have like two seconds to make the decision.
Congrats on a great game. Best of retro-luck for the rest of the tournament!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:
AleBelly wrote:Yes. I'm the one who is embarrassing myself.
Well... the hat's a little much.
Hey, bird, you mind your own business! :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote: The actual player explained his decision without throwing a temper tantrum; he simply hadn't thought much about wagering ahead of time. Fair enough. Your explanation, by contrast, is utter nonsense.
Well, you know, except for where that "utter nonsense" explanation is what the player quoted as their reason.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: affix, The Real World, Video Music Awards

Great game, Michael. I don't know if you've noticed from his avatar picture/Sports J! appearance, but you bear an unbelievably strong resemblance to our own heelsrule1988.

That loan officer clue was so obvious that it paralyzed me (and perhaps the contestants as well). The military reference led me to believe they were going for something more army-sounding than just "officer."

Jasmine got "Esmerelda." Heh.
Sprinkles are for winners.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

>That loan officer clue was so obvious that it paralyzed me (and perhaps the contestants as well). The military reference led me to believe they were going for something more army-sounding than just "officer."

Yeah, given that officer was in the clue ("This type of officer doesn't work for the military but helps people get money for cars & mortgages at the bank") I thought the military thing was supposed to be a TOM and was also paralyzed, not seeing how "loan officer" is military related. Oops.

Well done to Michael and well played -- good chances to make the final, I think.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Vowela wrote:Also said bison instead of buffalo on the quarter clue. I think they're bison, but I'm not 100% on that.
I was going to say they're definitely 100% bison (and not just because I said that also), but they're actually 200% bison.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Michael, congrats on the win! I have to root for you not only for being a boardie, but also because my dad was originally from Darien and my grandparents still live there. My cousin also went to Darien High School and played football there. I don't meet too many people who know the town!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:With all the problems she had with the signaling button at the start (I think she got some coaching on that during the break), I am glad Jasmine played herself into contention for a wild card. I agree a lack of familiarity with the periodic table may have hurt her.
I'm familiar with the periodic tables, but kept reading "Potassium" instead of "Phosphorus" and tried to make a scientist out of CoKEr.... then I realized my error about 15 seconds in. :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bamaman wrote:With all the problems she had with the signaling button at the start (I think she got some coaching on that during the break), I am glad Jasmine played herself into contention for a wild card. I agree a lack of familiarity with the periodic table may have hurt her.
I'm familiar with the periodic tables, but kept reading "Potassium" instead of "Phosphorus" and tried to make a scientist out of CoKEr.... then I realized my error about 15 seconds in. :oops:
I did that the first time myself.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't get to see until today.

I am fluent in Spanish, can understand some German and Portuguese, and know rudimentary ASL.

National Anthems, Agriculture, Quarterbacks? Yeah, I can mark that down as 0/15 without even seeing a clue.

"Durum type of this" threw me since I only know of "durum semolina" and had no idea what "durum" could actually be.

I didn't get the theme of the Presidential Nicknames category. The clues were just word salad to me.

SOOF = Swear on Our Friendship was a garbage clue.

Don't recognize the name Tom Brady.

I know a few things about Hunger Games, but not Peeta. Again, I have zero interest in the franchise.

Ran "A"lphabetical.

Didn't recognize anything in the MTV category at all.

Lach Trash: affix

Cobalt is Co, Phosphorous is K... nope, nothing, nothing, nothing.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

So, how long do we have to wait before IronNeck joins Vanya and and the cigar guy?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:So, how long do we have to wait before IronNeck joins Vanya and and the cigar guy?

Brian
Wait, what'd Vanya get punted for?
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

bpmod wrote:So, how long do we have to wait before IronNeck joins Vanya and and the cigar guy?

Brian
Well, I'm not breaking any rules. You, however, are doing precisely that with this (off-topic) post. And arguably this one, name-calling with no provocation.

Certainly, I'm curious whether the mods agree if Brian's two angry, off-topic, ad hominem posts in question violate the forum rules?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, hands up, who else said "in one more post"?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

Brian
Wait, what'd Vanya get punted for?
I'm not actually sure he was. There was an allusion or two after he disappeared, but I have no personal knowledge of anything regarding the situation.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

IronNeck wrote:

Brian
Well, I'm not breaking any rules. You, however, are doing precisely that with this (off-topic) post. And arguably this one, name-calling with no provocation.

Certainly, I'm curious whether the mods agree if Brian's two angry, off-topic, ad hominem posts in question violate the forum rules?
I promise the board that this is my last public word on the subject:

1. Since when is referring to a person by a screenname "name-calling"?

2. They were no more off-topic than your idiotic argument(s).

Brian