Wednesday, November 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7403, 2016-11-16

2016 Teen Tournament semifinal game 1.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Lily Allingham, a sophomore from Wilmington, Delaware
Lucia Geng, a junior from Great Neck, New York
Sharath Narayan, a sophomore from Madison, Alabama

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Another great welcome here. Good to have you with us today. Last week, we had a lot of fun and excitement here at Constitution Hall, but today the tension will ratchet up a bit as we play the first of our semifinal games. Only the winners of these three games get to compete for $100,000 in cash. Will it be Lily, Lucia, or Sharath today? Good luck. Let's start finding out. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And now here are your categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S GO TO TOGO (5/5)
SCI-FI NOVELS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CEREMONIES (3/5)
WHO FIRST SANG THOSE WORDS? (5/5)
"SHUT" UP (5/5)
DANCE WITH ME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lily: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Sharath: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Lucia: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sharath found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sharath had $1,400, Lucia was in the red with -$200, and Lily was at $2,000. Sharath made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

SCI-FI NOVELS $600: Meg & Charles Murry travel the universe with Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who & Mrs. Which in this 1962 novel

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sharath: $4,200
Lily: $2,200
Lucia: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lily Allingham is a sophomore from Delaware, and, Lily, you've got to have a great English teacher.

Lily: Yeah.

Alex: Because she makes things interesting for you guys.

Alex: Tell me about the trial you guys set.

Lily: We read "The Tell-Tale Heart". We were doing a unit on short stories, and our teacher actually made us do a trial for the narrator in "The Tell-Tale Heart", and I was the defense.

Alex: And did you win?

Alex: Good for you. All right.

Alex: Lucia Geng from Great Neck, New York. There's a Jeopardy! connection between you and me...

Lucia: Yeah.

Alex: Because you write clues for...

Lucia: The National History Bee and Bowl.

Alex: And that was set up by...

Lucia: By David Madden, a former 19-time Jeopardy! champ.

Alex: So you're hoping that history comes up as a category in this semifinal today, right?

Lucia: I guess so.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Sharath Narayan from Madison, Alabama. Now whenever we travel, it's fun if we happen to spot a celebrity.

Sharath: Yes.

Alex: And that happened to you and your family in Spain, right?

Sharath: Yes. Uh, we were in Madrid, coming out of the Museo del Prado, which is a famous art museum there. And up on the hill, my mom and I--we spot the Queen of Spain. She's attending a funeral. Everyone's just gathering around, and they're like, "Oh, my God. It's actually her." It was pretty cool.

Alex: You didn't get a chance to speak to her, though.

Sharath: Oh, no. There were armed guards lining the whole area.

Alex: I was just about to ask--did she have a retinue of armed guards and security? And she did.

Sharath: Yeah.

Alex: All right, did you take pictures?

Sharath: We did, yeah.

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CEREMONIES $400: This ceremony for babies often includes baptism & naming

CEREMONIES $1000: With special permission, your group or club may lay this circle of flowers at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sharath: $7,200
Lily: $6,000
Lucia: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCREEN TEST (4/5)
STATE CAPITALS AKA (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S A CRIME! (4/5)
ALPHABETIC HOMOPHONES (5/5)
THE QUEEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ENDANGERED ANIMALS AT THE SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO (5/5) (Kelly: Whether or not they're as cute as pandas, they all have an important place in nature.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lucia: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Sharath: 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Lily: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sharath snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Sharath had $9,600, Lucia had $4,400, and Lily was at $9,600. Sharath wagered $6,000.

STATE CAPITALS AKA $1600: Ancient Greek site of athletic fame

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lucia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Sharath had $15,600, Lucia had $9,200, and Lily was at $8,400. Lucia wagered $5,000.

THE QUEEN $1600: Also known as Makeda, in the Bible she visited King Solomon

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATE CAPITALS AKA $1200: On "The Simpsons" it comes between C. & Burns

SCREEN TEST $800: In "Bridge of Spies": the city where the bridge is located
(Lily: What is Brooklyn?)
(Sharath: What is Moscow?)

IT'S A CRIME! $1600: A federal statute fighting this type of crime includes assault motivated by disability, gender identity & sexual orientation
(Sharath: What is discrimination?)

STATE CAPITALS AKA $2000: A Plains-dwelling Native American tribe
(Lily: What is Sioux Falls?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lucia: $21,000
Sharath: $16,800
Lily: $8,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [In voiceover] Hey, we just couldn't help ourselves. Our footage of Bei Bei the panda was just too cute not to share more of it with you.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS' LAST WORDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus half of third.
Lucia: Wager $12,600--wagering any more risks falling behind Lily's wager of $0.
Sharath: Risk all $16,800 for the win or tie if you give the correct response (and provided Lucia doesn't wager to cover by $1).
Lily: Anticipating that Lucia will wager for the tie rather than to cover by $1, and that Sharath will wager everything, you should bet nothing, and you will tie for the win on the Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a British novel this young character's last words are, "Which is better--to have rules & agree, or to hunt & kill?"

FINAL SCORES
Lily: $8,400 + $8,400 = $16,800 (Who is Piggy?) (2nd place)
Sharath: $16,800 + $4,201 = $21,001 (Who is Piggy?) (Finalist)
Lucia: $21,000 - $12,601 = $8,399 (Who is Simon?) (3rd place)
(Alex: The novel is Lord of the Flies.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lucia: $17,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sharath: $11,600, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Lily: $8,400, 17 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $37,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sharath: 20/60 = .333
Lily: 18/58 = .310
Lucia: 18/59 = .305
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DANCE WITH ME $200: A combination of African & Irish traditional dancing may be the source of this style of dance

DANCE WITH ME $400: Drums called pahu help provide the rhythm for this sensuous dance of the Pacific
(Lily: What is hulu?)

SCI-FI NOVELS $200: In "Steelheart" this Midwestern American city has been transformed into steel; even Lake Michigan has turned to metal
(Lucia: What is Detroit?)

SCI-FI NOVELS $400: Book 2 of "The Lunar Chronicles" is "Scarlet", which was inspired by this fairy tale & features a street fighter named Wolf
(Lucia: What is "Cinderella"?)

LET'S GO TO TOGO $800: Togo has a high rate of malaria, so we'll bring the netting seen here to keep this creature out
(Alex: Yes, the Anopheles [*].)

DANCE WITH ME $800: Edgar Degas, who painted the dancer seen here, was part of this artistic movement

IT'S A CRIME! $2000: A word for taking over a plane led to this word for taking someone's automobile
(Lily: What is hijacking?)

THE QUEEN $1200: This queen consort of Louis XVI inspired many women to emulate her extravagant style

ENDANGERED ANIMALS AT THE SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, D.C.) Without native mammals present, kiwis thrived for over 35 million years, but today they're endangered & facing extinction, largely because they're flightless and can't escape from introduced predators in this, their native country

ENDANGERED ANIMALS AT THE SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, D.C..) They're symbols of peace & friendship, & sadly, in their native China, only about 1,800 giant pandas remain in the wild, primarily due to destruction of the forests that provide this tall, woody grass that these guys can each eat over 50 pounds of daily

ENDANGERED ANIMALS AT THE SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, D.C..) Known since ancient times & extinct in the wild until recent reintroductions, the scimitar-horned oryx is noted for its long, curved horns; if one breaks off, it doesn't grow back, which may have inspired the myth of this legendary creature
(Sharath: What is a hydra?)

ENDANGERED ANIMALS AT THE SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, D.C..) With fewer than 50,000 left in the wild, Asian elephants, like their larger African cousins, are facing extinction due to habitat loss, human-elephant conflict, & this crime, the illegal killing, capturing, or stealing or wildlife

ENDANGERED ANIMALS AT THE SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, D.C..) The Sumatran tiger is the smallest subspecies & has the narrowest stripes; largely due to habitat loss & the illegal wildlife trade, there are as few as 400 left on their native island in this country

CORRECT RESPONSES
A Wrinkle in Time
a christening
a wreath
Olympia
the Queen of Sheba
Montgomery
Berlin
a hate crime
Cheyenne
Piggy
tap dance
hula
Chicago
"Little Red Riding Hood"
a mosquito
Impressionism
carjacking
Marie Antoinette
New Zealand
bamboo
the unicorn
poaching
Indonesia
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS’ LAST WORDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a British novel this young character’s last words are, "Which is better--to have rules & agree, or to hunt & kill?"

Sharath Narayan: 16800+4201=21001 (Finalist)
Lucia Geng: 21000-12601=8399
Lily Allingham: 8400+8400=16800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Piggy (Lucia – Simon)

Daily Doubles
Sharath: 1400+1400
Sharath: 9600+6000
Lucia: 9200+5000

Coryats
Sharath: 11600
Lucia: 17600
Lily: 8400

Combined: 37,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Oooh, they mixed things up with FJ today. I'll be interested to see the get rate. This would have been a good one for the finals.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Oooh, they mixed things up with FJ today. I'll be interested to see the get rate. This would have been a good one for the finals.
Yeah, it's been way too long since I've read the book.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I instantly said Piggy and then for some reason thought his last words were "I got the conch!" I almost wavered to Simon (tough break there for the leader), but stuck with Piggy because it felt like a Piggy comment.

I really enjoyed the boards, but couldn't come up with anything in "Who Sang it First?" I would have been able to eventually pull bieber in a few minutes, but not under pressure.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

On one hand, at least I know I'm not alone in coming up with Simon (there was no way I was going to remember specifically which character that line was from). On the other hand, it's a real shame that mistake cost someone the win here.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

For those of us that may have read this before some of these kids' parents were born, a little knowledge was probably helpful. Piggy was the one character I could name.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yeah the wife was all like; "Who's Simon?! Where'd she get that?!" "Well, she read the book darling. Simon also got killed but those were the other fellow's words." Tough break.... ouch!

These kid's games are actually pretty challenging and I'm always impressed how much the young people know!
We saw L'Engle >A Wrinkle in Time with Mrs Whatsit, Which and Who... no tesseract though! Brave New World >Huxley > Mother / Father prohibited... the Hatchery; Makeda > Queen of Sheba; Margaret of Denmark vs the Hanseatic League; Sumatra is an island of Indonesia... these are tough gets which I'm pretty confident 98% of most kids NHOI...
Good game kids, congrats on clearing tough boards! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "Shut" Up.

Also, "Shut Up and Dance" is a great song.

Hula is "sensual"?

I recognized the names but couldn't pull A Wrinkle in Time in time.

Can't say I recognize Togo. At least to the point that I couldn't place it on a continent at $200. That whole category was miles over my head, and I saw no way to figure any of those out.

Ceremonies was also over my head.

Got only the top and bottom in Who First Sang These Words?, but I recognized A-Team = Sheeran after the fact.

No idea how I knew "C. Montgomery Burns" but I did.

Jays are noisy birds? There's such a thing as just a jay?!

Lying under oath = perjury? Can't say I recognize either term. How did they know that or tax evasion?

Ridley Scott was my only get in Screen Test, oddly. Blanked on Vulcan.

WLT Elizabeth I at $400?

Ran the Endangered Animals category.

No guess on FJ! Lord of the Flies comes up all the time, but they take a different path to it every time, so I can never pick up on any TOMs or key words for it. NHO Piggy that I recall. What should I know about that book anyway?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Togo (5), Sci-Fi (4), Ceremony (4), Song (0), "SHUT" (4), Dance (2)
Screen (3), State (3), Crimes (4), Homophone (2), Queen (5), Animals (4)

Lach Trash: wreath, hate crime, Montgomery

I guessed Alex DeLarge from A Clockwork Orange instead.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Can't say I recognize Togo. At least to the point that I couldn't place it on a continent at $200. That whole category was miles over my head, and I saw no way to figure any of those out.
The clue asking you which continent Togo was on was the only question that actually required any minimal knowledge of Togo, which is probably most of what I know of Togo. I still ran the category, which I was very much not expecting.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vowela wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Can't say I recognize Togo. At least to the point that I couldn't place it on a continent at $200. That whole category was miles over my head, and I saw no way to figure any of those out.
The clue asking you which continent Togo was on was the only question that actually required any minimal knowledge of Togo, which is probably most of what I know of Togo. I still ran the category, which I was very much not expecting.
And I didn't even know that much. What were the TOMs on the rest?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Vowela wrote:
Togo looks like a French fry you get in your "to-go" order.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I used to live a few miles from Togo, so I was hoping for at least one harder clue, like something asking for Lomé, but there wasn't much in that category requiring specified knowledge.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Hula is "sensual"?
Well... not when you or I do it. But sometimes, yeah.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Good game!

Yet again, all three DD wagers were optimal. In retrospect, I shouldn't be so surprised that teens in this tournament are better at basic math than adults. Back when I did high school Quiz Bowl, most of us, myself included, came from heavily math and science backgrounds. That's definitely not as true for adult quiz communities.

I went a "perfect" 0/5 in the "Who Sang it First?" category.

Got LT of Mongtomery, Berlin, and hate crime. The "Cheyenne" one was tough.

FJ was instaget, although "Simon" is a forgivable mistake. I didn't recall that exact quote, but Piggy famously gives a speech prior to his demise from a massive rock, whereas poor Simon is killed without any significant dialogue beforehand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If the FJ! clue had been: Name another character from Lord of the Flies besides Piggy it would have been a miss for me. With the clue as it was I needed Alex to assure Lily she was correct to know I had it right. [wipes brow]

For many years of watching J! and other game shows I have got by knowing title, author, basic plot, and Piggy. Doing a little research shows I need to have Simon and Ralph in the mix and it won't hurt to tuck away "biguns" and "littluns."

Yes, tough break for Lucia who may have lost out on the finals with a 50/50/90. She reminded me of Niki Peters who played like a streak shooter.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So what should I know about LotF anyway? As I said, it seems that literally every clue on it uses a completely different TOM, and I have yet to pick up on any key words or phrases or notes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:If the FJ! clue had been: Name another character from Lord of the Flies besides Piggy it would have been a miss for me.
I remembered Jack and Ralph, but I knew they didn't die. I remembered SamnEric, didn't recall if either died, but knew it would be cruel to ask us to remember which of the two said something. I remembered the boy with the mulberry birthmark and knew he died, but I'm not sure if he had any lines. I forgot about Simon or I might have been tempted, but I think I'd still have stuck with Piggy.